• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

I want it remade in idtech 5 with iron sights, not fussed about what they do with the flashlight.

Doom 3 was a great game when it came out, and it still looks good on PC with a few tweaks so unless there are some drastic improvements I don't think it's worth getting the PC version again. For PS3 players, it's totally worth it.

why would you want iron sights? don't tell me you were one of those silly people that used the iron sights in RAGE?

Nizz

We won't be getting those cheap scares anymore for sure. The game did feel like it was built around that artificial limitation so I'm not sure how well it'll work out.
Would be nice if there's an option to either play with the flashlight on all the time or as you used it in the original game. I don't think that would be too tough to include.

Kem0sabe

Rage was actually the only Id game that i gave up playing about half way through, i just couldn't do it, too much of a chore. It was simply no fun!

Doom 3 on the other hand, i enjoyed it, despite the cheap monster in the closet tricks, it was worth it.

That being said, i have zero expectations for the next Id game, they either make a focused "corridor" shooter with "tight" gameplay and it will be great or they try another clusterfuck of an "open world" game and fail horribly.

Nibel

This announcement is so random..

If they've put at least one new cool feature in it, sell it for a good price and changed the weapon soundeffects then I'm in.

babuchy

Day one, but i hope it has an option to disable the armour-mounted flashlight, I really enjoyed the flashlight mechanics

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They're going to have to make this better than modded Doom 3 before I'm interested, but what I'm still praying to the Original Space Marine for is for Doom 4 to deliver the next FPS standard. Seeing RAGE made me confident that they still understand guns better than anyone but man I hope the design was just from the open world format and them treating it more like an experiment to teach them how to improve Doom 4.

Man, why can't they rerelease the real DOOM 3? I still need to play it.
That's right, I'm talking about
http://i.imgur.com/87Va2.jpg
I played the PC fan port of this. It's so amazingly not-Doom and sluggish, though I do like the character designs.

They're going to have to make this better than modded Doom 3 before I'm interested, but what I'm still praying to the Original Space Marine for is for Doom 4 to deliver the next FPS standard. Seeing RAGE made me confident that they still understand guns better than anyone but man I hope the design was just from the open world format and them treating it more like an experiment to teach them how to improve Doom 4.

what's going to make it better than any modded Doom 3 for me is stereoscopic support, espescially knowing that Carmack is going to make sure it works well on the Sony HMZ. Doom 3 has always left me a bit cold, but that atmosphere on that headset, is going to be incredible.

Doom and Doom 2.

...but not Final Doom.

Can't be "the definitive [Doom] collection" if you're missing those, guys.

(Doom 64, too, but Final Doom is more glaring.)

FLEABttn

Banned
I like the small crew of people who liked the flashlight mechanic. I know I was one of them. The game has significantly less tension when you can see and shoot.

Which when worded like that sounds stupid and no wonder everyone else hated it. Ah, such is life.

Mithos

Wonder if the old Doom/Doom 2 will get any bells and whistles like transparencies, lighting effects of fireballs and 'mouse look.'

Would have been awesome if Doom 1 & 2 had been a remake with the same engine used for Doom 3 in this new version.

I liked it at the time, but other than a few scary moments, I can't really remember why. I disliked the combat (Bullet sponges as far as the eye can see!) and the fact that most conflicts only really had one plausible solution (here's your cover, or where you can kite them to, go to town!) were the big killers. Monster closets were fun the first few times, but got pretty damn boring by the end.

I think I enjoyed being scared, and the atmosphere was well done, doubt i'd replay it though. Even

jett

D-Member
LOL retail, seriously? Watching the trailer I thought it'd be a $15 PSN/XBLA release. This game is also not good. Closet monsters can go eff off.

faridmon

Sorry for not reading the thread, but what does BFG stand for?

LOL retail, seriously? Watching the trailer I thought it'd be a $15 PSN/XBLA release. This game is also not good. Closet monsters can go eff off.
Mr Negativity indeed. Doom 3 was a great game and I don't see how Closet monsters would depreciate your gaming enjoyment unless you hada certain mindset twards it. Yes, it was not as good as one could hope for, but its hardly something to be dissmissed about. those liughtning effect look good even today.

a couple of details from John's twitter and a Verge story on John's homemade VR headset (that he's hoping will go into production, and that he'll be supporting in Doom 3).

currently the PC version supports side by side 3D, though he's expecting to implement proper framepacked options before release. aiming is done via an ingame laser sight in 3D. his homemade HMD has a 90 degree FOV and motion sensors so you can actually look around.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/30/3...on-announced-for-the-fall-we-try-it-with-john

i love Carmack.

1-D_FTW

Duck tape and Carmack remastering them all for 3D (impossible to use standard solutions on PC since it was OpenGL) = SOLD!

Personally like 3D monitors better than the HMZ-T1, but I'm glad Carmack liked it so much. Must be the reason they decided to make it 3D compatible.

1-D_FTW

a couple of details from John's twitter and a Verge story on John's homemade VR headset (that he's hoping will go into production, and that he'll be supporting in Doom 3).

currently the PC version supports side by side 3D, though he's expecting to implement proper framepacked options before release. aiming is done via an ingame laser sight in 3D. his homemade HMD has a 90 degree FOV and motion sensors so you can actually look around.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/30/3...on-announced-for-the-fall-we-try-it-with-john

i love Carmack.

Oh shit. That sounds sexy. Carmack is Nerd God confirmed.

Duck tape and Carmack remastering them all for 3D (impossible to use standard solutions on PC since it was OpenGL) = SOLD!

Personally like 3D monitors better than the HMZ-T1, but I'm glad Carmack liked it so much. Must be the reason they decided to make it 3D compatible.

since the HMZ got him interested in 3D (and in building a better HMD) i've been waiting for something like this. i thought it'd be a patch for Rage, but this will definately do.

jett

D-Member
Sorry for not reading the thread, but what does BFG stand for?

Mr Negativity indeed. Doom 3 was a great game and I don't see how Closet monsters would depreciate your gaming enjoyment unless you hada certain mindset twards it. Yes, it was not as good as one could hope for, but its hardly something to be dissmissed about. those liughtning effect look good even today.

I played Doom 3 many years after its release. It's dated, dull and boring, I'd much rather play Doom 1 or 2. And this "remastering" looks exactly like the PC version.

I actually enjoyed doom 3's singleplayer campaign. If it launches for a reasonable price and you're interested in it, I'd recommend picking it up.

dummydecoy

Can I assume the framerate for these games are going to be rock solid since it's coming from id?
60fps?

I love this type of releases with all the prequels.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Doesn't appear to look much different. Definitely not on par with Sikkmod. :(

W5tpI.jpg

mcfZ7.jpg
GQAlT.jpg

Dp6pw.jpg
TZvDv.jpg

Sikkmod, aside from its graphics additions, also allows you to tweak a wide variety of game variables that can completely transform the way it plays. You can adjust nearly everything that matters.

Player/Enemy health and speed, damage variables, add random monsters, change health system, remove reloading, and all sorts of other things. You can make the game play much more like Doom 1 and 2 with many more on screen enemies and a much faster pace if you desire. It's pretty damn awesome.

Now Now there are some pc gamers who would enjoy that give a link for that download. having that for D3 would easily fix some of it's basic problems.

Ifrit

This announcement is so random..

If they've put at least one new cool feature in it, sell it for a good price and changed the weapon soundeffects then I'm in.

I hate some (if not most) of the weapon sound effects on Doom 3, call me crazy but I prefer the ones from Doom 1 and 2, now those pack a punch

Top Bottom