• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

Kydd BlaZe

DooM 3 on Xbox was good shit. Back in the day, I hoped that id would port it to the 360 when it launched, but I guess this port is better late than never.

Varna

Surprised by all the hate in this thread. I for one am looking forward to this.

I was quiet fond of this game. I remember building a new PC to play this. Definitely enjoyed it more the HL2.

Not sure if I will buy ... if they had co-op campaign I might reconsider. I spent so much time with last man standing.

pmj

The fact that Rage was + the fact the Carmack believes 60fps is a holy grail that has a profound impact on a game's control and gameplay. An engine that old is absolutely guaranteed to be running at 60fps on consoles given what we know about Carmack's core beliefs.

I seem to remember the 360 port of Quake 4 struggling to hold 30 fps. Quake 4 is more taxing than Doom 3, but not by a lot. Double the framerate for the Doom 3 port to the same hardware would be impressive, and surprising.

Teknoman

If they did all this, but still didnt fix the busted weapon sound effects (seriously why do all the weapons sound so tinny/metallic instead of packing a punch) in Doom 3...well...I dont know what to say. I guess there really isnt any chance of people that own DOOM 3 and Res getting a free update, since you could just buy the games for cheap again. Official widescreen resolutions are probably a lock.

RoE is pretty good. I enjoyed the artifact but I wasn't too hot on the grav gun. Unlike HL2 I thought the gunplay in Doom 3 was decent so I preferred the regular guns.

KageMaru

The fact that Rage was + the fact the Carmack believes 60fps is a holy grail that has a profound impact on a game's control and gameplay. An engine that old is absolutely guaranteed to be running at 60fps on consoles given what we know about Carmack's core beliefs.

Wasn't Doom 4 rumored to be dropped to 30fps to include more effects?

It's an eight year-old PC game. It'd be an embarrassment if it didn't run at 60fps.

Then again that's what I thought when Half-Life 2 was announced for PS360.

IMO people underestimate how hard it is to run a game at 60fps. I would be really surprised if this ran at 60fps with the stencil shadowing they are throwing around everywhere in the game.

Played DOOM 3 couple months ago - Mac App store had it for $5 one day.
It was fun.
Update seems unnecessary and unnecessarily expensive.

Ridley327

idTech 4 is notoriously unstable on consoles, though. Lest we forget what a disaster Brink turned out to be in that department, and that was a game released just this past year.

dummydecoy

I love how your crosshair transforms into a mouse pointer when interacting with Doom 3's numerous in-game terminals. I hope they don't gimp that feature.

Apdiddy

I have the original Doom 3 on Xbox but can never seem to find the Resurrection of Evil expansion, so this is perfect.

Now if Bethesda/id would do the same with Quake I - IV on Xbox 360 and PC, that would be amazing (although I'm not exactly sure what could be remastered with Quake 4).

I got this on XBox day one and loved it and thought they did a great job with it.

But please tell me this will have co-op!? That was a great addition to the Xbox version. One of us would aim the flashlight while the other would shoot, so intense!

Make it happen id!

red731

Remastered? :/

Oh my, soon to be eight years that have already passed and I remember how I got and played Doom 3 for the first time.

I'm feeling old.

Will get for PC, when it first came out I could barely run it :(
GeForce 4 MX 440 or GeForce 2 GTS....such a long time

I wonder if the medpacks in these iterations of Doom 1+2 will replace the red cross with pills like the XBLA version of Doom 2.

I also hope they pump up the enemy count for 3. More than the LOL SO DARK gripe everyone had, the enemy encounters were pretty barren.

Yeah, that's where I'm going with my prediction that it would be 60FPS on consoles.

Wasn't Doom 4 rumored to be dropped to 30fps to include more effects?

Console single player only; MP and PC SP/MP are 60.

I seem to remember the 360 port of Quake 4 struggling to hold 30 fps. Quake 4 is more taxing than Doom 3, but not by a lot. Double the framerate for the Doom 3 port to the same hardware would be impressive, and surprising.

Quake 4 was launch title and not handled by id, but you make a good point. 30->60 would be quite a surprising performance increase. I guess Carmack is just SO into 60FPS (it's like his mantra these days) that it would be odd for him to do a remastered Doom 3 without it.

Would have been awesome if Doom 1 & 2 had been a remake with the same engine used for Doom 3 in this new version.
I would honestly be more excited about a Doom 1 overhaul but hey I'll take what I can get!

Many people don't know this about me and I don't like to talk about it but... Doom 1 may be my favorite game of all time.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've never played it, so I'm moderately interested. I'll probably wait for a price drop, as I wouldn't be surprised if they try to charge $60 for this.

Wish they were throwing in Doom 4 as well so it was more of an actual HD collection, but since it has 1&2 I guess I can justify a purchase at the right price.

so uhm, I replayed both Doom 3 and the expansion a few months ago. :/

Stump is right on the money btw. Oh, and on modern monitors and systems, the game is bright enough to be played without the flashlight (LCD backlight seems to have that effect when using default settings).
It was terrifying as fuck when I played it on a CRT in 2003 though.

Someone thought Doom 3 was scary?
Obligatory OMM quote

Erik: I'm sure it will.  Okay, final question.  Doom 3 looks like it's going to have really amazing lighting. On its one monster at a time. Do you think developers will learn anything about Frantic Action Feeling from Serious Sam?

Roman: No, I don't think so. They are even telling that AI will improve! I have a suggestion. Why don't we have one enemy per level? Why bother putting thousands of enemies on a level, finding right spots for spawning enemies, waiting for the right moments to activate enemies. You just drop one enemy in the middle of a map and you are finished with it. That would be an epic fight with one really clever enemy, with you docking, jumping and hidding for hours fighting that superbot. Imagine the mutiple possibilities. You can jump left, right, backward or forward, hide behind doors, pick the best weapon, fire one bullet, fire another one. You can even have time to think what and how to do final kill. Possibilities are endless. Now, is that the Frantic Action Feeling or what?

Erik: Exactly.  You know who was scared by one monster? 

Roman: No.

Erik: My grandparents!

Roman: Yes, and also a baby.  Maybe George Broussard.

x3sphere

Judging from the trailer the textures still look really low res, so not much of a graphical update... here is a screen grab I took:

e134adc54f5fadca0d923da7a0a979d532364523.jpg

I think the PC version at max looks similar actually, been awhile though.

Quake 4 was launch title and not handled by id, but you make a good point. 30->60 would be quite a surprising performance increase. I guess Carmack is just SO into 60FPS (it's like his mantra these days) that it would be odd for him to do a remastered Doom 3 without it.

Didn't Prey use the same engine and also run at 30 FPS on consoles? Maybe the engine just isn't suited for higher on that hardware

Oh my god. I thought, as the only Doom 3 fan on the face of the earth, my prayers would go unanswered for the rest of my life. This is fantastic news. Don't get me wrong; Doom 3 had issues. Serious, pervasive, and sometimes laughable (lolducttape) issues. But it was still a great experience, and if you've never tried it you totally should. It is criminally underrated.

Didn't Prey use the same engine and also run at 30 FPS on consoles? Maybe the engine just isn't suited for higher on that hardware

True, also...Brink.
f that game
But again...neither Brink, Quake IV, nor Prey were handled by id. Still, I'll have faith in Godmack until we hear that this is 30FPS.

I have Doom 3 on an old steam account but I could never fix it to play it at a proper resolution. This includes the old doom games so I may give it another go if it comes to steam.

Top Bottom