• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 BFG Edition - Remastered, Armour-mounted flashlights + DOOM 1 & 2 [360/PS3/PC]

This is so out of left field, but I'm actually kinda excited for it. I really enjoyed Doom3 back when it came out and never got a chance to play the expansion. Think I will get!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
But I have the PC version of vanilla Doom 3 via the id Steam pack. Will there be an update for the BFG Edition goodies?

TROPHIES FINALLY! WHY CAN'T EVERY OTHER LAZY DEV FINALLY IMPLEMENT THESE INTO RE-RELEASES OF GAMES ... I'm looking @ you Bethesda with Oblivion ;-; I know I know, shove the whole "GET IT ON PC" argument down my throat. I've had it for PC but man.. I just want trophies :(

How much will it be? Because I sure as hell won't pay $60 for a game I've bought 3 times already (original release, Steam version and Xbox version) $40 or bust!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Seems like it'll be a separate release. Maybe they'll offer a discount of some sort.

I may just buy the X360 release if it's seperate. But only for $40 or less. I already have the XBLA ports of Doom and Doom II, so that's not going to sell me. Unless it has Final Doom as well.

hlhbk

Doesn't appear to look much different. Definitely not on par with Sikkmod. :(

W5tpI.jpg

mcfZ7.jpg
GQAlT.jpg

Dp6pw.jpg
TZvDv.jpg

Sikkmod, aside from its graphics additions, also allows you to tweak a wide variety of game variables that can completely transform the way it plays. You can adjust nearly everything that matters.

Player/Enemy health and speed, damage variables, add random monsters, change health system, remove reloading, and all sorts of other things. You can make the game play much more like Doom 1 and 2 with many more on screen enemies and a much faster pace if you desire. It's pretty damn awesome.

Never mind the fact I can't get Sikkmod to play anywhere near 60 FPS on the following specs:

Intel i2600k
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 570

If you can get Sikkmod with a decent texture pack running at 60 FPS on those specs at 1920x1200 please let me know how.

Odd choice.

I picked up Doom 3 and ROE on their respective release dates, and I had quite a bit of fun with them. I thought the main campaign dragged a bit, so I'm not sure if I would give it a replay (beyond the 2 I already have). Maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheaper, just to play on my big comfy couch. Having the originals is a nice bonus as well.

I really liked DOOM 3.

I guess some people hate it.

Loved it how it was really dark, liked the flashlight switching as it added more tension since you couldnt have your gun out.

And monster closets and shock jump scares did genuinely scare me.

Grayman

How about the extra episode that the 360 got for DOOM?

Since this would be a triple or more dip per game for me I will wait for it to be bundle with something in a steam sale.

Melchiah

Absolutely awesome! One of my all-time favorite games. Played it back in the day on Radeon 9700 Pro, and I'm interested to see how it'll look on a PS3 and a bigger screen. I only fear that Bethesda will find a way to fuck up the PS3 version.

bengraven

I really liked DOOM 3.

I guess some people hate it.

Loved it how it was really dark, liked the flashlight switching as it added more tension since you couldnt have your gun out.

And monster closets and shock jump scares did genuinely scare me.

It was a change of pace, I think. Doom was more FUCK YES shoot em'up with demons and an occasionally creepy part, while Doom 3 is pure survival horror with some shooting areas.

I loved what Doom 3 did and it's one of my favorite SH games of all time.

I also adored Doom 1 and 2 and I played the shit out of the shareware, paid copy, and Final Doom editions, but there are enough FPSs out there recreating that feeling. I'm glad to have Doom taking a more horror route now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Never mind the fact I can't get Sikkmod to play anywhere near 60 FPS on the following specs:

Intel i2600k
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 570

If you can get Sikkmod with a decent texture pack running at 60 FPS on those specs at 1920x1200 please let me know how.
Yeah... I've been wanting to get Doom 3 and mod the shit out of it but now I don't know what to do. Mods are usually just brute force affairs and my computer isn't the greatest (5850 & PII 955) to drive stuff too hard, although I think DoF is the most intensive part and I hate that so I'd turn it off. This remastered version will obviously be better optimized even if it does less, and if it improves character models and animation then that'd really put it over the top. I guess "wait and see" is always an option, but when summer sale comes along and I'm deciding between Doom 3 and another game, it's a different situation.

Sojgat

The cynic in me says this is Bethesda-driven to have id recoup some money after RAGE relatively bombed since DOOM 4 seems to still be a ways off.

I kind of agree with this. I like Doom 3 but this release just seems weird. Was there some kind of fan demand for this like with Halo CE? Retail copy is a good move, whenever something like this gets released as digital only I just find myself wishing there was a disc option.

Metal-Geo

Super Turbo Turkey Puncher... 3!!!

Can't wait for this.

Personally I was never bothered by the whole flashlight thing. It definitely made the engine when an Imp was throwing a fireball in the dark. Or to see those red glowing eyes crawling towards you. And shooting an automatic weapon in the dark.

But I will agree with anyone saying the game was too long for its content. Felt really stretched halfway through.

I was on a tablet last night but now that I am looking at this again, I wish they had improved the models somewhat, they still look nice but are extremely low poly, this best be 60fps on 360.

Also will this come with the xbox co-op stuff? it was only about 3 hours long but it was great fun on hard, you had to share ammo and it felt like a compressed down single player but still good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Serious Sam and Painkiller have even less in common with Doom 1/2 than Doom 3 does.
Thank you. So many people make that comparison and it continues to baffle me.

Doom was not simply about blasting large waves of enemies in open spaces, rather, it focused on sprawling non-linear levels. The keycards you collected in order to unlock each area were not arbitrarily placed and each one typically represented a unique challenge. Exploring the levels and slowly revealing more of the map was an absolute blast and something that has been lost in most modern games. Doom 3 actually has a number of areas that DO follow this model to a degree.

NIGHT-

Hope it's based on the PC version and not the Xbox. Didn't the Xbox version cut a lot of content? I wonder if this will have the co op though

Hope it's based on the PC version and not the Xbox. Didn't the Xbox version cut a lot of content? I wonder if this will have the co op though

few rooms were changed at the first 30 mins or so of the game but a huge majority was the same for what I remember, it makes me think that some of the differences were not due to memory limits but just using slightly older modeling which lacked rooms, for example the bathroom at the start near the kitchen area, it's either not there because of an old build or because they just didn't want that room there, I think it's the one with the mirror you can stare at.

Synless

I still don't understand why it's called Doom 3 when it is a remake. Good news overall though, I haven't played this game since it was released.

Metal-Geo

few rooms were changed at the first 30 mins or so of the game but a huge majority was the same for what I remember, it makes me think that some of the differences were not due to memory limits but just using slightly older modeling which lacked rooms, for example the bathroom at the start near the kitchen area, it's either not there because of an old build or because they just didn't want that room there, I think it's the one with the mirror you can stare at.
The Xbox had a lot more doors to decrease the viewing range. If you opened a door to reveal a new room and walked backwards, chances were the framerate dipped to <10. Until the door closed again. This both made some rooms smaller and hallways shorter.

Overal the experience was still very enjoyable. Especially that co-op mode. Great fun.

Ocaso

For what it's worth I loved the Xbox version. I own the PC version as well but have never bothered to play through it. I welcome this release and look forward to giving it a shot.

Fixed?

Anyone want to speculate on if vanilla DOOM and DOOM 2 are being included or are they keyboard + mouse fully 3D versions? I'm not sure I could go back to pseudo-3D, keyboard only...
http://zdoom.org
Hopefully this means a Quake HD version is in the works too!
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1756923
Comes with the original music which is missing from the steam version.
It has a few bugs though.
-You have to disable lighting in E4M2 or the game will hang. Type "r_shadow_realtime_world 0" without the quotes into the console to disable the lighting.
-In mission pack 1 E1M1 there's a door you have to approach in a certain way for it to open . Or just use noclip.
-In mission pack 2 E1M7 there's an elevator that doesn't work . Use noclip (or rocketjumping if you're a badass) to get past this.
Serious Sam. Painkiller = what Doom 3 should have been.
I like those game a lot but... no.
The only thing they have in common with Doom is the fact that they are fast paced shooters.

CamHostage

I still don't understand why it's called Doom 3 when it is a remake. Good news overall though, I haven't played this game since it was released.

Decent old-school nag. Back in its day it wasn't really cool to "reboot" a franchise under the exact same title as what had come before; now it's commonplace. Plus, story hardly matters in id games, it's just there to hang an intense experience on. It's one of those things where you're right, it doesn't fit, but even if those details bug you the issue goes away once you rack the shotgun.

Dice

Quake 1 on the Darkplaces engine with all the shitty effects turned off is a fantastic experience. The game still feels amazing.
Man I hope all the id stuff goes on summer sale. That's all I want. So many classic games lost on upgrade road... thus far I have only reclaimed Doom 1 & 2, the Hexen pack, and RTCW.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man I hope all the id stuff goes on summer sale. That's all I want. So many classic games lost on upgrade road... thus far I have only reclaimed Doom 1 & 2, the Hexen pack, and RTCW.

I bought the Id pack the first day it came out. I needed to complete my Id collection.

The cynic in me says this is Bethesda-driven to have id recoup some money after RAGE relatively bombed since DOOM 4 seems to still be a ways off.

yep, nailed it. it's just id buying themselves some time.

it isn't a remake, obviously. just a story reboot or whatever, it doesn't remake the game of doom/doom2 at all.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
DOOM 3 was super creepy with headphones and the lights off; sorry you're so jaded.

You're absolutely right. By far the scariest game I've ever played.

I remember it being midnight. Playing on my ninja laptop with headphones on and my wife crept up on me and tapped me on the shoulder. I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

It's all about immersion. Play the game the way the it was meant to be played. Lights off. Sound blaring. Fantastic.

You're absolutely right. By far the scariest game I've ever played.

I remember it being midnight. Playing on my ninja laptop with headphones on and my wife crept up on me and tapped me on the shoulder. I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

It's all about immersion. Play the game the way the it was meant to be played. Lights off. Sound blaring. Fantastic.

LOL, I've been playing Dead Space 2 for the first time. My wife likes to do the same thing and it drives me nuts. I mean, you can't get mad but still, fuuuuuuck woman!

it isn't a remake, obviously. just a story reboot or whatever, it doesn't remake the game of doom/doom2 at all.

Honestly, I wish every DOOM game had the same storyline. I mean, that's all you need - demons from hell overrun a military/science base. All your buddies went in first and died horrific, mysteriously torturous deaths. Now it's time to kill EVERYTHING or suffer eternal damnation in the bowels of the underworld.

Screw sequels and storyline. That's gold right there, bruv!

Dice

For real, man. As far as enemies go, even Nazis aren't as good as demons. Nothing tops demons. They don't even need a purpose for storyline because they are just 100% evil. Besides, they already had Final Doom, so you kind of have to reboot.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I still remember the pre-release hype for this game. The screenshots blew me the fuck away in whatever magazine it first appeared in.

I enjoyed the hell out of it the first time and didn't mind playing it again when the expansion came out. A friend and I tried the co-op on the Xbox version and it was fun for all of about three minutes.

Not sure if double dip.

They should remake the first DOOM + DOOM II + Final DOOM, not using DOOM3's engine, but something else that could handle the original on-screen enemy count of the original games. They could also throw in achievements and a hardcore mode where you have to beat the game on a certain difficulty without dying once.

Heck, there could even be a competitive "Tetris" (or was it Doctor Mario?) mode, where enemies you kill respawn in game of the person you're playing against.

So much potential, but It'll never happen. =(

Top Bottom