• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3 2012] Watch Dogs: first interview (lots of game details)

Pandemic

11 minutes of goodness

Credit to The Dutch Slayer for finding the interview.

Thought it deserved it's own thread as it has some new details on the game, and would just drown in the current Watch Dogs discussion thread.

My excitement is building.

Pandemic

This is what I gathered from the interview.. Took a while, and I may have missed a few things but yeah.. Apologies if some of it doesn't make sense.

• The city itself will be used as a weapon - tap into any computers or infrastructure. Or the ''darkest secrets of the people living in Chicago.''

• The demo shown was just one example of what the players can do to achieve their objective.

• Aiden Pierce isn't good or bad, but neutral.

• The example given is that by causing collateral damage with civilians getting killed, giving a bad image towards the player.
- The other way in killing the person that was shown in the trailer could have been by tracking the guy down in the parking lot, and take him down there.
- This gives the player the choice in how he approaches his missions

• ''Online is in the DNA of Watch Dogs''
- The motto - ''Everything is connected, and connection is power''

• Two people were playing during the demo, one was playing as Aiden Pierce, and another person was playing as another character, which had his own objectives, and ''crossed paths''. Basically, both players had their own objectives and crossed paths.

• Their wanting to blend in multiplayer, online and singleplayer, in ways that haven't been done before.

• Their game was inspired by other games, such as Assassins Creed, in reference to open world. Day to day news from Chicago was also an inspiration.

• Powers will grow as the game progresses, and you get more and more powerful as you progress.

• Left questions raised as to whether Aiden Pierce is the only person in the world of Watch Dog that has the powers that Aiden himself has.

• New IP, with three ingredients involved,
- Talented team
- Time, with it being developed for two years, but definitely not being shipped this year, so a lot more time is available.
- Awesome technology such as a new engine to give the designers new tools to allow new things and a lot of detail.

• City is based on Chicago - heavily inspired by Chicago. Very similar.

• Poor districts or more wealthy districts will influence how you play and approach missions.

• You choose what to do with the information you gather on the civilians around the city, so not all civilians have ''dark secrets'', but those that do, you'll be given the option to act on it, for side-missions.
- These ''dark secrets'' may include prior criminal convictions, etc.
- The city and the media will have an impact on how you take action.

• Definitely not being shipped this year.
• Will support ''multiple platforms''
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another interview by IGN is available,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9FK-7A1IU

I again, tried to grab some details out of it, and hopefully it makes sense.

• More gameplay was seen behind the scenes, in which showed some free roam capabilities, and included one of the characters climbing on top of a subway train.

• Tablet integration is to include three things (I didn't hear the third point, guess he didn't include it)
- They want you to access the Watch Dog universe, remotely. So, it allows you to see who's currently connected, and what their doing, and basically lets you monitor the city. ''Control the city in the palm of your hand''
- Apparently you can play remotely, such as on the train, and have gameplay in the mobile extension

• They aren't commenting on the currency system, such as whether people will be allowed to purchase in-game currency, but their is a ''deep economy'' available.

• They used Chicago as the games main city as it is considered as one of most surveillance covered cities in North America.

• Player will have the choice as to how he extends his power - options will be available as to how you push his ability to control, depending on how you want to play the game.

• Again, they aren't shipping this year, so they have plenty of time to support as many consoles as possible for when they do ship.

• Their very confident that it'll be released on current generation platforms.

Dabanton

Ok that sounds hot especially the different crossover missons

And I don't care what Ubi says it's obviously a next gen title.

This is what I gathered from the interview.. Took a while, and I may have missed a few things but yeah.. Apologies if some of it doesn't make sense.

• The city itself will be used as a weapon - tap into any computers or infrastructure. Or the ''darkest secrets of the people living in Chicago.''

• The demo shown was just one example of what the players can do to achieve their objective.

• The example given is that by causing collateral damage with civilians getting killed, giving a bad image towards the player.
- The other way in killing the person that was shown in the trailer could have been by tracking the guy down in the parking lot, and take him down there.

• Two people were playing during the demo, one was playing as Aiden Pierce, and another person as playing was another character, which had his own objectives, and ''crossed paths''. Basically, both players had their own objectives and crossed paths.

• Their wanting to blend in multiplayer, online and singleplayer, in ways that haven't been done before.

• Their game was inspired by other games, such as Assassins Creed, in reference to open world. Day to day news from Chicago was also an inspiration.

• Powers will grow as the game progresses, and you get more and more powerful as you progress.

• Left questions raised as to whether Aiden Pierce is the only person in the world of Watch Dog that has the powers that Aiden himself has.

- Talented team
- Time, with it being developed for two years, but definitely not being shipped this year, so a lot more time is available.
- Awesome technology such as a new engine to give the designers new tools to allow new things and a lot of detail.

• Poor districts or more wealthy districts will influence how you play and approach missions.

• You choose what to do with the information you gather on the civilians around the city, so not all civilians have ''dark secrets'', but those that do, you'll be given the option to act on it, for side-missions.

Sounds like next-gen to me!

If the final game can deliver on these concepts it could be really incredible, a next-gen game in more ways than just visually!

I'm surprised this isn't(or doesn't seem to be) coming out on the Wii U - the tablet seems made for it.

Or maybe it is - I thought yesterday it was announced for pc/360/ps3 - are we now back to "who knows"?

Raide

I might get utterly crucified for this but I would love MP in this. Maybe not your usual 8 dudes running around shooting each other but some form of the Assassins Creed MP where you track down your target using the technology available in the game. Anyone else think that would be utterly awesome to play around with?

Kinyou

I so hope that this is true.

Pandemic

I might get utterly crucified for this but I would love MP in this. Maybe not your usual 8 dudes running around shooting each other but some form of the Assassins Creed MP where you track down your target using the technology available in the game. Anyone else think that would be utterly awesome to play around with?

At first I was a bit skeptical about having multiplayer for this, but it sounds like a great experience. Something unique, by crossing paths with other players, yet not being forced to play with them as you progress through the game, on your own.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'll go with a hunch and thay this is current gen tech, but a very, very good new engine. Anyway, PC version is mine :D

Kinyou

At first I was a bit skeptical about having multiplayer for this, but it sounds like a great experience. Something unique, by crossing paths with other players, yet not being forced to play with them as you progress through the game, on your own.
I just wonder how it will really work out. Will I help some guy assassinate the very same guy I already killed 2 missions earlier? That would kind of break the atmosphere, wouldn't it?

raven777

• Two people were playing during the demo, one was playing as Aiden Pierce, and another person was playing as another character, which had his own objectives, and ''crossed paths''. Basically, both players had their own objectives and crossed paths.

So its like small online world where 2 players were playing their separate game in same area at the same time? sounds amazing.

Rezbit

I'm surprised this isn't(or doesn't seem to be) coming out on the Wii U - the tablet seems made for it.

Or maybe it is - I thought yesterday it was announced for pc/360/ps3 - are we now back to "who knows"?

It's a maybe at this stage for Wii U. Yves Guillemot said PC/360/PS3.

Might be another Battlefield 3 job, as in it will look quite a bit better on PC but is still very impressive on consoles.

Raide

I just wonder how it will really work out. Will I help some guy assassinate the very same guy I already killed 2 missions earlier? That would kind of break the atmosphere, wouldn't it?

Maybe if you end up in his world, your missions change. They might be a co-op option but then leave the choice up to you. Maybe you want to help them and at the last moment, utterly backstab them and claim the kill for yourself. :D

Maybe like Dark Souls MP but without the "xXxBroGamerXxX has Invaded." Slipping into someone else's game without knowing you are getting stalked would be awesome.

Cosmozone

When he said "open world", I rejoiced. :) Looks like it's going to be the hottest stuff in a decade if they're able to live up their grand concept.

Edit: I hope it doesn't turn out to be an MMO!!!11!!1

- Talented team

Thanks for writing this up, dude. I'm at work and all video game sites are blocked.

ismk

The game sounds really ambitious and I hope they pull it off because the game looks and sounds really interesting.

My phone thanks you for the bulletpoints pandemic

As does mine!

Ooooh...in addition to the admittedly crazy concept they're going with (seems like asynchronous multiplayer, someone is doing their missions based on your recorded actions), I'd be ALL over this.

i have serious doubts they can pull this off.. it's just too damn ambitious.

i wish you good luck though, Ubi. someone's gotta go for the stars.

Raide

I get the feeling Ubi are putting effort behind it. It got in the same section as AC3. I am hoping they are throwing 200+ staff to development. It might end up like the first AC, where it started with a great idea but did not quite manage it. Hopefully they learned from the AC stuff and skip all that troubleshooting.

Holding it back for Next-gen, please. Give it all the power it needs to make it awesome.

Thank God someone had the brain cells to not do New York again.

I think setting it in Chicago is one of the best things about the game. As I said in the other thread, Chicago is underutilized as a setting, especially in games.

I'm curious as to how the multiplayer stuff works into the story - is it just clones of the same main character? Separate mode? How does that work exactly?

Either way, very exciting, and definitely game of the show for me.

Dabanton

Yeah it looks good now. Graphics and premise but how much freedom will we have in a the final game.

There is no way Ubi could plan out for every major action you take in this game would that cutscene play out differently if i caught that guy elsewhere? For instance in the demo what happens if I stay in the club and then use my powers to switch the lights off. Grab that woman on the phone and bundle her away.

Will my target come into the club or do I have to make his car crash outside at the lights.
Could I pre plan my attack and make him have to follow a route set by me with me by causing a traffic crash before I go into the club?

I look forward to seeing just how much freedom it offers but I'm also remembering these are still games and you can't have possibilites for everything or the game would take forever to do.

UrbanRats

So, is there like character creation for the multi? It would be rad.
Also, the interaction could be à là Dark Souls, limited players that get interchanged randomly by the game.

UrbanRats

Yeah it looks good now. Graphics and premise but how much freedom will we have in a the final game.

There is no way Ubi could plan out for every major action you take in this game would that cutscene play out differently if i caught that guy elsewhere? For instance in the demo what happens if I stay in the club and then use my powers to switch the lights off. Grab that woman on the phone and bundle her away.

Will my target come into the club or do I have to make his car crash outside at the lights.
Could I pre plan my attack and make him have to follow a route set by me with me by causing a traffic crash before I go into the club?

I look forward to seeing just how much freedom it offers but I'm also remembering these are still games and you can't have possibilites for everything or the game would take forever to do.
Same.
Personally, i'm thinking a somewhat evolved version of GTA, you have a mission, you have some tools with set reactions (like blocking the street lights, will prompt a reaction in the target and such) and you have a target with a set routines that can change in a limited set of ways (depending on the tool you use).
A combination of these tool will get you a combination of those reactions; it'll be interesting to see just how complex these interactions can become.

For sure. Out of nowhere too.
Totally. When he zapped the traffic lights and pulled those two slow-mo shots from his gun, I was like "Holy fuck, where did THIS come from?"

Awesome list of bullet points, can't wait to see if the end game is as unscripted as I'm hoping.

Blizzard

Banned
The main thing that really concerns is me whether always-online-DRM will be required, or possibly simply required because of the multiplayer-in-singleplayer thing.

I understand they could do cool things with it, but I'd personally rather have the option of a singleplayer campaign without allowing anyone to join the world.

• Two people were playing during the demo, one was playing as Aiden Pierce, and another person as playing was another character, which had his own objectives, and ''crossed paths''. Basically, both players had their own objectives and crossed paths.

Woah!

Wow OK this sounds awesome. Thanks for the write up OP.

not all civilians have ''dark secrets'', but those that do, you'll be given the option to act on it, for side-missions.
This game... I want it NOW

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
By 'tracking him down in the parking lot", does that just mean the cover-based shooting to take him down happens in a parking lot instead of the intersection?

Corto

This game... no words. I just hope it lives up to all that is being said about it. So much potential. They sure are hitting all the right notes to ignite our imagination. This was truly the Megaton of E3.

PLEASE don't be online only...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.

It's almost a given. Considering the setting, and the whole cross-path with other players in the game world. If they make the online meaningful and with weight on my single player game I should be ok with it.

Seems like a big focus is online. There will be a single player competent right?

Top Bottom