• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog's next big single player game is not The Last of Us: Part 3.

Yoboman

aMa9zLy.png

Yeah, so many new IP's and such diversity.
You're really gonna freak out when you hear about 115 Final Fantasy game releases and 200 Mario game releases

Eiknarf

Banned
ND headcount is around 400-450. It's unrealistic that they make any more top-tier AAA. Uncharted and TLOU are the peak of their respective genres. For the next game to live up to that standard they need to drop Uncharted or TLOU. The easy option is Uncharted, because there is nothing left without Nathan Drake (don't even suggest the cheap move of his daughter being the main character).

The MP fiasco has shown they cannot cope with projects in which they lack expertise.
They can make a shorter/smaller top-tier game that plays even better than TLOU P II. Because if it’s really good, people will play it over and over. It doesn’t have to be a 32 hour Single Player Campaign for it to be great.

A bit of a out there idea, I think ND would be a interesting choice for a buddy cop style game, in the spirit of Lethal Weapon or Miami Vice.

I remember Sony was working on something like that for PS3 called Eight Days but they cancelled it.
Sounds awesome but no way ND allows that much toxic masculinity in their game.

Mossybrew

Past time for them to release a dedicated current gen game. Though by the time they finally do PS6 will be almost out, so then their following release will just be another "remaster" of that.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They can make a shorter/smaller top-tier game that plays even better than TLOU P II. Because if it’s really good, people will play it over and over. It doesn’t have to be a 32 hour Single Player Campaign for it to be great.
I loved how long TLOU2 was. I don't want a shorter game. I barely play games over and over.
Dark Souls and Bloodbourne are exceptions for me, otherwise I have to wait awhile to play it again

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Uncharted 4 - 2016, TLOU2 2020, yeah Naughty Dog you used to be hot shit but what have you done for me lately?
Their new IP will release next year, TLOU 3 in 2028. This is perefectly normal for AAA games.

And their games shit on everybody elses, they can take their time. The rest of the industry is still playing catch up to a 4 year old game and hasnt even come close.

Mossybrew

Yeah I guess Im being greedy. But the pressure will sure be on their next game to deliver, I hope our patience will be rewarded.

Markio128

Whatever it is, bring it on. My second play-through of TLOU2 has reminded me why I love ND. The level design is off the charts - Hillcrest is definitely one of the most fantastically designed segments of any game that I can remember, there are several others as well. I’m having to play in short sessions here and there due to recently picking up a new pup, but I’m now heading to the hospital, and taking my sweet time exploring every nook and cranny. I’ve found several areas that I hadn’t found before.

yurinka

Past time for them to release a dedicated current gen game. Though by the time they finally do PS6 will be almost out, so then their following release will just be another "remaster" of that.
They were working on TLOU Online but it got cancelled. They are working on two big SP games, one started last year and the other one ND started to work on it around 2021. None of them is TLOU 3.

In the last 4 years they released TLOU2, Legacy of Thieves Collection + PC port, TLOU1 + PC port, TLOU2 Remaster. Plus also supported an Uncharted movie and a TLOU tv show.

Their new IP will release next year, TLOU 3 in 2028. This is perefectly normal for AAA games.
No, it isn't normal at all.

Last year they weren't working in TLOU3 and had minimum two SP games: one started around 2021 and the other one in H1 2023. AAA games nowadays take more than 5 years to be made. Meaning, the first game would be released minimum 2027 and the other one minimum 2029.

The game they had planned for next year was TLOU Online and has been cancelled. Maybe after cancelling TLOU Online they went again to have 3 games at the same time, this time replacing TLOU Online with TLOU3, which could have started pre-production or production after shutting down TLOU Online. Meaning, it that is the case TLOU3 would be released mininum 2029-2030.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
ND is too woke for that IP , they would make space marines emotional bitches and the main character would be a female space marine
You are too jalous of their talent to see the potential. Why make a female space marine when they can make a female Primarch?
And make it a prequel to whatever show Cavill is participating in? It could be great! Why being so pessimistic?

samoilaaa

You are too jalous of their talent to see the potential. Why make a female space marine when they can make a female Primarch?
And make it a prequel to whatever show Cavill is participating in? It could be great! Why being so pessimistic?
im not pesimistic im just saying it acording to their latest games , warhammer is a very brutal universe , the IP needs devs that arnt afraid of insulting different groups of people

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
im not pesimistic im just saying it acording to their latest games , warhammer is a very brutal universe , the IP needs devs that arnt afraid of insulting different groups of people
I know. But I can't see them using the warhammer franchise and making it a TLOU bis. Them being woke don't change that they have great tech, music, writers...
It could be great. It could be shit too of course. But we have seen with TLOU online that if the quality is not there they will end the project. So a warhammer game from them would have the same need to be good before going out.

Whatever their new game is, it will have to be as good or better than whatever top tier game is in the genre it releases. From graphics, voice acting, storytelling to gameplay will all be top notch, which is why I love this studio.

Playstation 4 Game GIF by Naughty Dog

Kokoloko85

I loved TLOU2 but we need a new IP from them.

Guaranteed the usual moaners are gonna hate it… “Pacing issues, “Not enough lead males” “Theres too much female muscles in my video game” ”Im offended by everything just like the woke cancel culture I complain about”

Then theres the PC/Xbox guys “Ooooh, too much walking and talking, I prefer to stand still and talk to NPC’s like Starfield and Skyrim or read hours of text in my video game”.…..

Last edited:

FeralEcho

I was replaying the Legacy of Thieves collection the other day and realised that Naughty Dog has more remasters and remakes this gen than studios that actually focus on remasters like Bluepoint, it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. WTF has become of this studio....

Last edited:

midnightAI

I was replaying the Legacy of Thieves collection the other day and realised that Naughty Dog has more remasters and remakes this gen than studios that actually focus on remasters like Bluepoint, it'd be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. WTF has become of this studio....
Having small teams within the studio remake/remaster games so that they can keep making money while the main team works on the new game(s)? Seems like a good idea to me. It's called not putting all your eggs in one basket.

I fully expect other studios to do the same, or at least have small teams working on smaller games at each studio that's big enough to have multiple teams.

Last edited:
Top Bottom