• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo convinced you to buy a Wii U? What would you pay?

wcw

Neo Member
Nintendo still has sometime to convince people. They can have a mega blowout event in August or September and show off the Retro game and another solid 1st party game. They can reveal more details about the online and the specs. But will they? Its Nintendo and while they are clearly the most innovative they also don't tend to be influenced by outside forces as much.

Nintendo marches to the beat of their own drummer. But if they want my cash they better tell me more about this system.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not sure that I'll get a Wii U at launch, but the Guardian put Zombi U in their top 5 most talked about games at E3 so far piece:

Link

I'm grateful to read something positive about it...I immediately relegated it to piece of crap / quick development status after seeing the trailer.

I do like the idea of ZombiU.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nintendo has convinced me not to buy WiiU. I'm going to wait 6 months to a year to find out if how things are panning out. But by then, true next gen will be upon us.

So no. Too little, too late Ninty.

Sadist

Not sure where else to put this but I'm curious about EA's official line on why there's no sports announcements for the Wii U. Google has failed me or EA's not saying anything.

I'm putting this question here because I've got two friends that refuse to even look at the system unless these sports staples are present, so I assume it factors into more peoples decisions to purchase the system.

It makes no difference to me as I'll be purchasing the system for Pikmin 3 and a couple others, nor did I ever think Nintendo would get meaningful 3rd party support, but I'm curious all the same.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30585

I can't wait to see what I missed by jumping directly into the third games of Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, and Ninja Gaiden! And the first Darksiders is probably totally unrelated to the sequel anyway.

Touch

Nintendo has not yet convinced me to buy a Wii U, but I believe I have convinced myself. No matter how terrible the conference was or the general lack of information and hardcore title, at the end of the day this is Nintendo. The console will have great fun titles to play. The worst thing that could happen is we get "another wii experience" but how bad was that? There are some really fun games for the Wii. I'm not saying that's what I want though. I want something better than the Wii experience. I want to going to the Wii U department and actually see games for me that I want to play. There is more potential for that now with Wii U. Hopefully that potential comes to be true.

I'm starting to believe what Reggie said that "they were only showing what was going to be at launch and launch window". Sure it's not the best launch/window we have seen but we have endured some terrible launches in the past.

popeutlal

If Black Ops 2 shows up on launch day, then maybe I'll buy it. It still the best multiplayer arcade game out these days.

If not then I'll be playing it on my PS3 and not caring about this machine.

NZNova

I've seen nothing to make me buy a Wii U so far. When HD Nintendo games that I'm interested in start coming out then I'll reconsider. I don't see myself using it as a third-party platform for nonexclusives. Nothing about the Wii U controller scheme makes third party non-exclusives look more compelling on the Wii U than other platforms.

Mileena

Banned
They've convinced me to not buy one. Extremely underwhelming graphics, no interesting launch titles aside from ZombiU and friend codes. Screw you Nintendo.

Anth0ny

For what it's worth...

Nintendo's showing at E3 2001 (Pre-Gamecube launch, bolded are launch/launch window):

Luigi's Mansion
Super Smash Bros Melee
Pikmin
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet
Metroid Prime
The Legend of Zelda
Eternal Darkness
Kameo: Elements of Power
NBA Courtside 2002
Donkey Kong Racing
Raven Blade
Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Phantasy Star Online
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
Madden 2002
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
SSX Tricky

Nintendo's showing at E3 2006 (Wii launch):

Twilight Princess
Wii Sports

Super Mario Galaxy
Red Steel
Metroid Prime 3
Fire Emblem
Project HAMMER
Excite Truck
Madden 07
Wario Ware
Super Paper Mario (GC game at the time)
SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL

Nintendo's showing at E3 2012 (Wii U launch):

W03yD.jpg

What do you guys think? Was it a wise decision to move away from the OMG GAMES OVERLOAD style of E3 2001/2006 and decide to focus strictly on launch titles?

Considering the hires and mysterious tweets (crunch time this year?), I was certain Retro's game was going to be shown. Also, what Monolith was working on.

AzaK

wow, a bad conference equals no information at all. i guess i've heard it all

Well I came out of that with essentially no more information than what I had last E3.

Was NSMB a surprise?
Miiverse was revealed be Iwata before the conference,
Did we really not expect a game that shows you what the console is about?
There was no info about the console.
We already knew about Batman, Darksiders and a lot in that sizzle reel.
Pikmin we all expected

Zombi U was something new, we saw ME3 in the sizzle and Reggies confirmed 2 GamePads. But that really those aren't particularly mind blowing.

Worst case scenario is that it still has Nintendo first-party titles.
That is very true, but I'm starting to wonder if I need more than that........until I see Prime 4 and then I sell my first born child to get one no doubt.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
wait... what? serious?

That's more likely the weakest Launch lineup of a Nintendo home console, maybe only the GCN one was weaker.
What? NSMBU alone makes it better than the NGC launch. And I'm saying this as a Wave Race fan.

I'm still weighing it in my mind.....but this may actually be the first Nintendo console I do not get at launch.

I def want Pikmin 3, but the New Mario isn't doing it for me, I mean I'll probably get it eventually but it's not a must have at launch.

P-1000 looks good to me as well, but something about the Wii U has always felt........awkward to me. I can't put my finger on it. I didn't feel buyers remorse for the 3ds at launch as I felt it was awesome and still do, but I can sense the Wii U may be the first Nintendo product to let me down initially.

I don't see this being a huge hit out of the gate.

Honestly, it's hard to say whether it was a good idea or not. Yet. Many are saying they believe Nintendo's plan to be rather chill with their game announcements this year and not make too much noise with the Wii U at launch, but come next E3 when it's suspected that Microsoft and/or Sony will be revealing their newest consoles is when they want to go out with a bang.

I think that it makes sense in the long run if this is indeed true, but as of now Nintendo really aren't giving anyone much of a reason to go out and buy a Wii U. At all. Me personally, I love 2D Mario to pieces and I think that Pikmin 3 looks great, and as a fan I have faith that sooner or later Nintendo are going to show much more than what we've seen this year, so I'm likely going to buy a Wii U as soon as I can scrape up the cash for it. However, right now they aren't giving the mass market any reason to purchase the system.

Maybe I'm underestimating the general public's desire for 2D Mario and Wii Fit, but I just don't see mom and grandpa rushing out to get yet another Wii Fit and 2D Mario game. I guess we'll see as the year rolls by, I'm hoping that this isn't it until E3 2013 but I'm kinda feeling that it will be by Reggie and Nintendo's comments regarding game releases.

VegaNine

For what it's worth...

Nintendo's showing at E3 2001 (Pre-Gamecube launch, bolded are launch/launch window):

snip

Nintendo's showing at E3 2006 (Wii launch):

snip

Nintendo's showing at E3 2012 (Wii U launch):

snip
Just a correction: "The Legend of Zelda (Celda)" was unveiled a few months after E3, at Spaceworld.

And the 2006 show included many more titles, but I'm guessing you've left them out intentionally.

Blondie

Neo Member
Was initially interested due to supposedly better 3rd party support this time around. Conference killed that interest and subpar launch titles did not entice me one bit. If Wii U is a repeat of the Wii, 3rd party wise, then I'll just wait for it to drop to sub $199 and has a worthwhile library before getting one...

Ryoku

I have a hunch that Crysis 3 MIGHT make its way onto the Wii U.

http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/

Check 3:15:06 into the video, they're interviewing a Crytek developer.

The interviewer asked when and on what platforms will we see Crysis 3 on, and the developer responds with "February 2013 on PC, Xbox, and PS3." The interviewer then asked, "No Wii U version?", to which the developer responded with a very hesitant "Not at this--not that I can say anything."

I'm not claiming that it will make it onto Wii U. Just that I wouldn't completely disregard the possibility of the game making it onto the system.

Not sure that I'll get a Wii U at launch, but the Guardian put Zombi U in their top 5 most talked about games at E3 so far piece:

Link

I'm grateful to read something positive about it...I immediately relegated it to piece of crap / quick development status after seeing the trailer.
OOoo, zombie master? It would be so sweet if that worked online.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
With the current line-up? No way in hell. Pikmin is interesting, of course, but that's about it. Minigame collections and ports of games I could just play on my PS3 or PC just aren't gonna cut it. Ok, so there are a few original third-party games on the way too, but it's just not enough. Now, when the next Zelda or real Mario game (no, NSMB doesn't count) comes along I'm sure I'll be unable to resist getting one, but until then I'm out.

I have a hunch that Crysis 3 MIGHT make its way onto the Wii U.

Yet another game you could just play on your 360/PS3/PC. I need reasons to get the console, a 360 port isn't one.

jonno394

The more i read about Zombiu the more i hope its a day one release. That alone will get me to buy a Wii U. Sounds pretty Damn unique.

ksamedi

I think the succes of Nintendo Direct has a lot to do with Nintendo not showing off many future titles in the works. They will probably announce stuff every 3 months with a 1 hour show and go more in depth about games they already announced. I think its a solid strategy and seems to be working for the 3DS.

Now on to the Wii U. It has a lot of appeal for me, because I enjoy a very diverse range of games. I think the Wii U will deliver. Here's why

1) Wii U will be the ultimate local multiplayer machine. It supports 2 tablets now, and Wii mote + will probably be the standard motion device for the console. This means 5 or 6 player local multiplayer gaming with the extended advantage of players having their own screens. I think it will bring some very interesting multiplayer possibilities.

2) Developers have the option to design games around standard controls. Multiplats will probably be more common and developers have the choice to make games that don't focus on motion controls

3) Developers have the option to design games around Wii Motion +. We will probably see the true potential of motion controlled gaming with Wii U and possibly other next gen systems

4) Developers can create unique experiences by using the gamepad. Zombi U is interesting, and I think its just the tip of the iceberg of whats possible.

5) Console will have enough horsepower to compete graphically with other next gen systems and for a proper online system. The multiplatform games will probbly be scaled down heavily, but I don't think developers have to dumb down possible ports.

6) I hope to see some non gaming useful apps as well.

Lots of potential, probably too much stuff for Nintendo to talk about.

The point about Nintendo Direct is probably partially true. But I have a hard time picturing a new Mario or Zelda being announced like that. Maybe Retros game, if Nintendo (like I've always suspected) don't put much faith in it.

$249 day 1
$299 maybe by the end of the year if I get some gift cards for Christmas
$349 not until there are at least some AAA titles that I want
$399 not until a price drop

one_kill

$249 day 1
$299 maybe by the end of the year if I get some gift cards for Christmas
$349 not until there are at least some AAA titles that I want
$399 not until a price drop
I like your logic! Though I'd probably consider $299 a day 1 as well. If it was $249, then it's definite.

The Boat

The point about Nintendo Direct is probably partially true. But I have a hard time picturing a new Mario or Zelda being announced like that. Maybe Retros game, if Nintendo (like I've always suspected) don't put much faith in it.
Yeah, they just gave them the task of ressuscitating two of their biggest franchises and had them work on another of their biggest, highest selling IPs, they clearly don't have any faith in Retro.

I'm more excited about it than I was this time last year, but still not sure if I'm sold.

Pikmin looks fantastic and would be a day one purchase for sure. Some of the third party stuff like Rayman and P-100 look great, too. Mario and ZombiU have potential, but I want to see more of those first.

The hardware doesn't really excite me much. I haven't seen anything yet that really shows the controller off and convinces me that it's going to significantly add to the experience. Some of the asymmetric multiplayer stuff is intriguing, but it all feels pretty tech demo-y right now. Graphically, things look good but not amazing, and it looks like Sony and MS could likely blow it away hardware-wise and take all the third party support with them. It's really cool to see some of Nintendo's franchises in HD with better image quality, but Pikmin and Mario seem like fairly cautious steps into HD.

Most likely, I'll wait to see what the 720 and PS4 look like before making a decision, unless something dramatically changes my mind before the Wii U launch.

Lastly, and this is a personal take on the Wii U, I'm not really sold on the hardware or its 'promise'. I'm starting to get sick of gimmicks and social features tacked on everything. It's all going to be about the games. If the thing is going to have some decent amount of exceptional games, then I'll be forced to get one eventually. I'd really rather avoid the Wii U though.

Yep (especially to the bolded).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ZombiU, Rayman, Nintendo Land and Mass Effect 3 as far as I'm concerned. 300€ with a game packed in. And I hope Christmas will come in October.

Magnus

Link

Seriously. Game looks like total shovelware t first glance. I'll have to check it out again.

Who's the developer?

That is very true, but I'm starting to wonder if I need more than that........until I see Prime 4 and then I sell my first born child to get one no doubt.

For me since I plan on having a very nice PC down the road, I'm good.

"Behind every worst case scenario is an even worse worst case scenario."
- Mozzie

Nintendo's doom reaches such a high level that it causes an implosion which turns into a black hole causing the end of the world in December?

Seriously. Game looks like total shovelware t first glance. I'll have to check it out again.

Who's the developer?

Ubisoft

Mithos

Yet another game you could just play on your 360/PS3/PC. I need reasons to get the console, a 360 port isn't one.
But why should I need to buy a 360/PS3 or a powerful enough PC to play Crysis 3 when I could just play it on Wii U if its released on it?
In short I hate this type of reasoning, because not everyone is looking on it in the same way, I mean even if people get the Wii U for Nintendo titles it's always good to be able to get 3rd party titles on the same platform.

Personally I'm sitting and waiting to hear about Tomb raider, Dead Space 3, Bioshock: Infinite and more, I'st just not about the games I want I just want to see a broad support that will tell me its not a short effort from 3rd parties.

Pingoreous

I was hoping to be convince with the conference but they didn't. Taking my eye off my 37" HDTV to look at a small screen doesn't interest me. I find DEAD SPACE on character health info very elegant and it immerse you. Wii U wants you to take your eyes off the ball. The community discussion and feedback stuff on the controller was the coolest thing they revealed in my opinion. As of now it's a no for me.

LOCK

I will get a Wii U at launch.

NSMB & Pikmen 3 are reasons enough. I will pick up many third party titles such as Aliens, AC3, and Rayman, and probably more depending on tablet functionality.

I'm a Nintendo fan and buy their consoles for their games. Pikmen alone seems more interesting than most of the same looking third party titles being released.

Maybe I'm just jaded or delusional but oh wells.

Marco1

If I did buy one, it would probably be becuase I had money burning a hole in my pocket and wanting some new HW under my TV.
But I know I would end up selling it to put funds towards nextbox or PS4. The only thing that would stop me selling it would be decent titles and multiplats that seriously outperformed my current Xbox360. I can't see that happening, sorry.

Ryoku

This is true. However, the point I'm trying to make is that we should not count out third-party support this early on. The only games announced for Wii U are those within the launch window. I'm still going to get Crysis 3 for my PC (which I will also upgrade later), but don't count out third party support. Even Yves seemed hesitant when talking about platforms aside from PS360/PC.

ACB

Neo Member
Definitely. A new 2D Mario, Pikmin 3 and a new game from Platinum are good enough reasons for me to get the console at or around launch. Being able to transfer my VC/WiiWare purchases sealed the deal.

http://www.ign.com/events/e3/2012/live-video

Thursday, June 7
10:00am Day 4 Begins!
11:00am Tekken Tag Tournament 2
11:20am LEGO Batman 2
11:40am Persona 4 Arena
12:00pm DmC (Devil May Cry)
12:20pm Lost Planet 3
12:40pm Medal of Honor: Warfighter
1:00pm ZombiU
1:20pm Rayman Legends (Wii U)
2:00pm World of Warplanes
2:20pm Quantum Conundrum
2:40pm Metro: Last Light
3:00pm PlanetSide 2
3:20pm Disney Epic Mickey 2
3:40pm Aliens: Colonial Marines
4:00pm LittleBigPlanet Vita
4:20pm Forsaken Souls
4:40pm SimCity
5:00pm Nintendo Game!! (TBA)
5:20pm Beyond
5:40pm IGN's Game of the Show!

Anyone see this? Apparently Nintendo have one more thing up their sleeve this year.

I don't wanna get my or anyone's hopes up, but it's possible that there could be SOMETHING good here, if IGN are willing to hide it. I don't wanna get too excited but yeah, anything's possible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I didn't want to make another WiiU thread just to ask this, but do we know what the WiiU's form of achievement/trophies is? I know Miyamoto's not a fan of the idea, but I'd be surrpised if they don't have SOMETHING since there's a whole market of people who just like getting those.

Caelestis

I am not convinced yet. None of the games they showed so far interest me, and I need to know more about their online and the price point.

Top Bottom