• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

Clevinger

I'm assuming the most essential ones are:

Nocturne
Persona 3
Persona 4

I don't plan on playing the entire series, but just the best it has to offer. Are these the ones most worth playing?

All of the PS2 games are awesome in their own way. I wouldn't call one essential over the other. edit: Actually, I completely forgot about the Devil Summoner PS2 games. They were good, but I wouldn't call them essential.

All of the PS2 games are awesome in their own way. I wouldn't call one essential over the other. edit: Actually, I completely forgot about the Devil Summoner PS2 games. They were good, but I wouldn't call them essential.

Yeah, the PS2 games are a murderer's row of at WORST good games, and are must-haves for fans of great RPGs.

Aeana

in6DvToD2QvJX.png

Let's do this!!

ibg5Pd1c6lXC3C.png

Sadly, the gates are closed to all but law characters.

igteHE8L3AvAW.png

Fortunately, we stole Fury's hagoromo earlier. Remember how I said it masks alignment? Now we can enter.

i1lrTev1ZaX29.png
is4mgu3CcAYrj.png

Zain has finally learned who he really is. What he was born for, what his purpose was. With that, he takes his true form.

ibrZf1B7KVvCi5.png
irugOi0eK6UBf.png
iCK8ygOXEGmFU.png

Zain becomes Satan, sent to the world to deliver God's judgment.

ibg61gq1Nw88JY.png

And we are once again kicked out of Eden. All the way to the underworld, this time.

idQlsk5UApUvZ.png
ibmqNqTWz5TH5Z.png

Steven appears before us to state the obvious, before pointing out that something totally cool is happening.

i6r9rxurSDHwy.png
ibjR5Zx7x8MMSM.png
ibeLXBnm6J3ndH.png

The top of the Center - Eden - detaches and FLIES UP INTO SPACE.

iYJVm5nMUeiGF.png

Satan was having the people of the Center build an ark, which contains Eden. It bears the ones chosen to create the new world after the current one is destroyed by the weapon on board - the Megido Arc. If this weapon is fired, it will kill everyone on the planet. God has abandoned everyone - Millennium, the underworld, the demon world... Earth. Steven asks us to meet him at a terminal - we've a very important mission.

This is the point of no return. Actually, we've already passed it, because this event now makes it so you can no longer enter a terminal without triggering the endgame sequence.

iQH21lQfxqEGn.png

He welcomes us to a virtual space inside the terminal network, he calls it his hideout. From here, he can send us to the terminal on the ark. Let's do this.

ibkY0VKcWmedYx.png

Whooosh.

iZLC8pt4n2r6D.png

The final dungeon. And it looks just like the Center inside. Booorrrinnggg.
This place is fairly short and easy, though, so perhaps Lucifer's place counts instead.

ibgqEKV3OPaXeE.png
ibhpCTUEd2MpkG.png
iqcouaoGbYfO3.png

We eventually come across this room. Inside is Tzevaot, once of the many incarnations of God. He asks why we are here. Only those who worship God unconditionally are welcome aboard this ark. We who invite malice and destruction and command demons have no place here.

ik8AAJTy0LimA.png

Not too bad of a fight, but the hardest of the upcoming couple of bosses because it's immune to Masakado's katana's freeze.

iHpHEYxovRb6x.png
iuh2RxcJPVT7c.png
ikSVI44Hv5h3o.png

Next is Shaddai. He calls Aleph a demon child, borne of a misguided attempt to manufacture a messiah - an act in direct defiance of the order established by God, his mere existence a blasphemy.

iGJgliCPU1uTE.png
inio1gKNTy2z4.png

Shaddai is frozen! Super easy. Shaddai never acts, because he is constantly frozen by Masakado's katana. So good.

i9pFIbCyNNmRB.png
iJ1ry5BLExsdr.png

Elohim. He says pretty much the same stuff as the others. Accuses Aleph of being a demon child because he uses demons to fight. He must not have noticed that we don't have any demons with us. Oh well.

ibgDESdHAsPR07.png
ik4qgIcdipjbr.png

Elohim is frozen! Tee-hee.

ibcAcG7kdY0dmP.png

Finally, we come to this door. A voice tells us to enter.

i2YJ4kKOa3SOT.png

It's Satan/Zain. We were both manufactured as part of the Center's project. He asks why he was able to succeed beyond all of the others, including Aleph himself.

isyGnPiIX3oEb.png

God has abandoned Tokyo Millennium. He came to realize that as long as humanity continues to grow, it will gain knowledge and turn away from him. That is why he never sent the messiah. The reason why he has become superior to the other products of the project, he says, is because he received the soul of Satan, the angel of judgment. And he will judge everyone - Millennium, angels, humans, and demons.

imGs0QF9c1l8t.png

Farewell, Aleph.

iAyMFUsQ0JvyT.png
iwmafpzqcN1Ju.png

Receive the judgment of God and burn in the depths of hell!

ibzYb2wCUrcYK6.png
ibw4oRjxMQdgmY.png

Sataaannnn.

ibqkxi6247Wlyr.png

Satan can and frequently does kill Aleph simply by looking at him. He's quite a pain in the butt. This is by far the most difficult battle in the game, and it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I've never fought him without demons, and I almost lost several times.

ibkUbMJkmzRZGM.png

But in the end, I did prevail!

iKhp0FvqXahyD.png

You even managed to escape God's judgment. What are you doing...? Where are you going...?

ibaS6TEb3tBB0N.png
ibnCf1RdGLSZXY.png

Just then, a voice booms. "WHO HAST SLAIN SATAN? Show thyself before me!"

This is it.

iltKnpUCDJ4CW.png

The final pathway.

i5MkA3pZNciuc.png

Along the way, the voice expresses shock at us having killed Satan and the others. Then, finally, we see the source of the voice.

inLGxkBnBPHDm.png
ip9ATvQ4MALPb.png

YHVH himself. Praise my name, he commands. He admonishes Aleph for being a freak, and Hiroko for giving him life. Then he spews all kinds of old testament stuff. I SHALL CONDEMN YOU TO HELL, AND ONCE YOU'VE SUFFERED THERE FOR AN ETERNITY, I WILL REINCARNATE YOU AND DO IT AGAIN! And such.
He seems a wee bit angry.

And so we fight.

ibhKk9LT1ni7LY.png
iva8qVzGL8SbU.png

YHVH has an instant death attack too that's a bit more random, but he uses it less often than Satan. I was fortunately able to recover from those quickly enough. That aside, he's not at all difficult, at least not compared to Satan.

i4EfG2c3EBkjN.png
iz7IaJnjiWAx7.png

Finally, we have committed the greatest sin: destroying our creator. Now we have no one to rely on. YHVH insists that humans are not strong enough to live without him, and they will continue to call for him and bring him into being over and over again.

iGYa8JtSycLy5.png

We appear back in Holytown, and Hiroko speaks. "So we no longer have anyone to rely on, huh? But you've got me, and I have you. Let's go, to the world we'll build with our own hands."

i2HRl8Q5mBC7P.png

Aww.

ibxBuxgAKcU9D7.png
incHUtoRZ49YX.png
iMhLqWiywQCFZ.png

The events in the game all play backwards, and end with the creation of Aleph. Then a golden lady appears and turns into a statue. Whatever could that mean?

THE END.
I think I clocked a little over 15 hours on this one, but I couldn't check the clock for a loong time.

cj_iwakura

SMTII's Chaos ending is so much better.

And I'm willing to believe you, but I have a real hard time buying that you managed to kill Satan with just two people in one try. Nightmarishly tough fight.

Koroviev

And I'm willing to believe you, but I have a real hard time buying that you managed to kill Satan with just two people in one try. Nightmarishly tough fight.

Huh, that's kind of neat. Even if you read through her playthrough, you still have to play the game yourself to see the other endings ;)

cj_iwakura

Huh, that's kind of neat. Even if you read through her playthrough, you still have to play the game yourself to see the other endings ;)

My first(and only) run of SMTII was with Chaos, because Louis seemed like a stand-up guy.
(And he actually is.)

Might do Chaos this time for SMTI, I went neutral originally.

MechaX

I definitely, definitely love the remastered backgrounds for the later SMT I and II versions. The atmosphere of the final battle having space as a background is definitely much more fitting than the SNES version of "plain blue room."

Also, bleh. I may save SMT III for when IV is closer to release. I usually play predecessor games pretty close to anticipated sequels, and that may make a replay III playthrough quite magical.

totowhoa

Banned
Man I would kill for a nice, simple US release of SMT I and II as digital content... I think it was due to years of having a computer that wasn't capable of PC gaming, but I'm just not too keen on emulation in general these days. Aeana's screens look amazing though; it really makes me want to play it. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread (or another) that I tried it SMT II once via emulation years ago, but I gave up early on. This was with zero experience with first person dungeon crawling, though, but I've since played SJ, so maybe I could put up with it. I should probably just give it a go soon, but I've also been meaning to play through SMT III in first person mode, which I've never done despite going through it a few times... and that, I know, will definitely be an experience that I will enjoy.

Aeana

It's a difficult fight, but it's really not that bad. And it's not like subsequent tries gives you better odds or something. I already knew what he was going to do, and I prepared accordingly, stocking lots of healing and revival items. I also built my characters in such a way that they would focus primarily on strength and defense/speed. I expect most players have Hiroko built for magic, but there's no reason to do that since her really useful spells don't really take magic power into account very much. Aside from his glare, he doesn't really do much that's particularly dangerous besides hitting for a lot of damage, which diarahan takes care of just fine. As long as you proceed carefully, letting Hiroko keep HP high and letting Aleph go to town with sword attacks, he falls. The times I almost lost were when he used his glare and Hiroko hadn't healed herself yet, but it all worked out fine.

Aeana

I'm not sure what's going to be next. I was thinking about If..., but since AGTP's translation patch of that should be out soon (??), I don't want to spoil it for anybody who could finally try it for themselves. Plus, I'm starting to feel like I need a change of pace. So I think it's either gonna be DDS or Devil Survivor Overclocked. We'll see how I'm feeling once I either finish or give up on Gravity Rush.

I'm not sure what's going to be next. I was thinking about If..., but since AGTP's translation patch of that should be out soon (??), I don't want to spoil it for anybody who could finally try it for themselves. Plus, I'm starting to feel like I need a change of pace. So I think it's either gonna be DDS or Devil Survivor Overclocked. We'll see how I'm feeling once I either finish or give up on Gravity Rush.

I vote for DDS, if that counts for anything.

I am supremely curious to see your playthrough of DDS.

randomkid

So what are everyone's favorite (S)MT tracks? Gotta have some (more) music in this thread. :)
What's that? An excuse to rave about my favorite underappreciated Megaten soundtrack? Don't mind if I do! And the power’s back so I can finally post this haha.

Revelations: Persona has the best soundtrack in the franchise, probably the best soundtrack ever made. In raw quantitative terms it's ridiculous, 113 songs and 3 hours of music without being looped, and all without doing Persona 2's trick of repeated (but still awesome!) remixes. Two majorly sweet leitmotifs for the two major quests, employed creatively and thoughtfully, four fantastic composers on four discs, cohesive and thematically coherent when by all rights it should feel disjointed as fuck, this is a generous OST!

This is where Meguro got his start, coming up with the Velvet Room theme among a bunch of interstitial tracks, but I'm going to highlight two unsung composers on the soundtrack who are both geniuses.

Hidehito Aoki composed the dungeon music, which is exquisite. Lengthy songs that are moody, elegant, just plain beautiful and get you PUMPED!

The iconic Deva Yuga
Monochrome: School Revisited Dream-like, synthy, catchy, beautiful, quintessential Persona sound.
Pandora's Den (Deepmost Area): The climax at 1:12!
Ice Castle/Black Snow The twists and turns in this one, so effing good.
Sebek Music, Karma Palace 90's music is the best!!!

Misaki Okibe's range is ridiculous, she composed some of the most memorable, interesting tracks in the whole game.

Reverse Dream World: You think you have this song figured out in the first few seconds, but stick around to see where it suddenly veers off to around :30, hilarious and awesome.
Theme of Nemurin's Love: The intro! The power of a simple lovely melody, a little Uematsu-esque.
Augustia's Wood: The save music, so memorable, I love the grumbling.
City 2 Accident: Do you remember wandering the streets in the town, disoriented, listening to this gorgeousness, thinking about how Lunarvale suddenly seemed so scary, like an unsettling dream?
Bar Attacked by Harem Queen: A bit of jazzy beauty.

And most important of all of course, Misaki Okibe is the composer of the Pharmacy Music, featuring vocals by one Hidehito Aoki of all people.

Satomi Tadashi Drugstore Song In our heads forever, teaching us about item use since 1996.

I wish I could find out more about Aoki and Okibe’s other work, vgmdb says they did practically nothing beyond Majin Tensei 2 and an early Atlus fighting game. EDIT: Well, this is incredibly depressing apparently Aoki died in a car accident at the age of 32, ugh.

I will maybe write another post dedicated to the amazing character themes of Kenichi Tsuchiya, who is the secret best Megaten composer, because this post is too long as is. Haven't even touched the prog-rock battle stuff. I'm just saying, you all better recognize. This is the tip of the iceberg here.

randomkid

Oh yeah, I vote DDS for Aeana too so I can finally read her posts instead of scrambling frantically past them. Can't wait to come back to this thread at the end of the year to eventually check them out.

I decided to give P3FES a shot because of this thread. I'm about five hours in now and I have some questions.

What causes characters condition to deteriorate while in Tartarus? Is that element basically there to keep you from continuously grinding away?

I joined the kendo team and student council, but their meeting days overlap. Better to totally ignore one in favor of the other? I was just planning on trying to split the days up, I guess.

I'm on May 3, I think, and I'm at level 7 or 8. How am I doing? I never go to Tartarus unless the whole team is feeling well. Is it easy to screw up and get behind? It sounds like some fights will be date triggered.

Does that damn overworld theme ever stop? Please tell me it changes. I dig the slow version that plays in shops, but you hear the regular version sooo often. It's maddening. Other than the the soundtrack is pretty cool and I dig attaching songs to regular events to create the feel of routine. I hope the soundtrack expands, though, since I'm guessing I'm going to spend the whole game going between a lot of these places.

Dolgan

THE END.
I think I clocked a little over 15 hours on this one, but I couldn't check the clock for a loong time.

Thanks! I really enjoyed reading your posts. Makes me wish Atlus would remake SMT I + II and release them outside Japan. Is there a deeper meaning to the golden lady or is still a mystery?

Onemic

Okay, based on this thread I'm going to get the 3 aforementioned games starting with Nocturne. Do I need to know any backstory before playing these games considering that Nocturne is the 3rd Tensei game and Persona 3 and 4 are sequels?

Just in case I do enjoy and finish playing through those 3 games is Digital Devil Saga any good? Is playing 1 required to understand 2?

Finalow

--Nocturne is the 3rd Tensei game and Persona 3 and 4 are sequels?
Persona games aren't story related (you can just find some cameo, like P1 chara/villain in P2 EP), also I didn't play SMTI and SMTII but I don't really think so.

Just in case I do enjoy and finish playing through those 3 games is Digital Devil Saga any good? Is playing 1 required to understand 2?
yes DDS is great, imo you should play DDS 1-2 and Nocturne before Persona 3-4, and yes, it's better if you play DDS 1 first.

jorgeton

Okay, based on this thread I'm going to get the 3 aforementioned games starting with Nocturne. Do I need to know any backstory before playing these games considering that Nocturne is the 3rd Tensei game and Persona 3 and 4 are sequels?

Nope, the stories are independent. Nocturne is a hell of a ride. It's also pretty tough in spots. P3 and P4 are great but holy hell they are long games.

So Devil Survivor 2 finally clicked with me. I've had it since launch and only got up to the 2nd day before I put it down.. Until this weekend. And now it's all I've been playing. When that 3rd day hits
and the world opens up
, it was pretty unexpected and exciting. I'm taking great pleasure in customizing each team and each human character to their full potential. It's such an excellent game to wind down and relax to.

Onemic

Persona games aren't story related (you can just find some cameo, like P1 chara/villain in P2 EP), also I didn't play SMTI and SMTII but I don't really think so.

yes DDS is great, imo you should play DDS 1-2 and Nocturne before Persona 3-4, and yes, it's better if you play DDS 1 first.

Does DDS provide extra perspective on Persona or something? How long of a game is it?

Cactus

Banned
Does DDS provide extra perspective on Persona or something? How long of a game is it?

No. DDS1/2 are only connected to each other.

If you like Nocturne, you'll most likely enjoy DDS as well. Persona 3/4 are very different, though.

jorgeton

DDS 1 and 2 are about 25 hours each. Persona 3 and 4 are well over 80 hours each. Nocturne is 40-50 depending on whether you do the Amala dungeon and other optional stuff.

City 2 Accident: Do you remember wandering the streets in the town, disoriented, listening to this gorgeousness, thinking about how Lunarvale suddenly seemed so scary, like an unsettling dream?

This made my Top 100 Video Game Tracks for very very good reasons. Unnerving, distant, atonal and altogether uncomfortable, it then...rouses up enough good vibes to cheer itself up with hopefull choruses and playful short melodies. "It's not so bad." "A new day will come." "We'll find a way" Then CRUSHED!!! Fuck you, no, this is Megaten, shit is crazy! And it's back to the haunting dissonance.

Wilsongt

So this thread got me to finally open my copy of Strange Journey... I put a couple of hours into it...

Why is demon fusion so goddamn addictive?

7threst

So this thread got me to finally open my copy of Strange Journey... I put a couple of hours into it...

Why is demon fusion so goddamn addictive?

Because that game really gives you demon fodder to experiment with...

something I know realize Nocturne does not do... getting demons out of your compendium is expensive, but conversing with demos is too (they sometimes ask for a lot of macca and items)...

I decided to give P3FES a shot because of this thread. I'm about five hours in now and I have some questions.

What causes characters condition to deteriorate while in Tartarus? Is that element basically there to keep you from continuously grinding away?

I joined the kendo team and student council, but their meeting days overlap. Better to totally ignore one in favor of the other? I was just planning on trying to split the days up, I guess.

I'm on May 3, I think, and I'm at level 7 or 8. How am I doing? I never go to Tartarus unless the whole team is feeling well. Is it easy to screw up and get behind? It sounds like some fights will be date triggered.

Does that damn overworld theme ever stop? Please tell me it changes. I dig the slow version that plays in shops, but you hear the regular version sooo often. It's maddening. Other than the the soundtrack is pretty cool and I dig attaching songs to regular events to create the feel of routine. I hope the soundtrack expands, though, since I'm guessing I'm going to spend the whole game going between a lot of these places.

1) Yes, characters get tired to keep you from continuously grinding. They can fight longer at higher levels.
2) You can do S-Links whenever you feel, really. There are guides out there to maxing all of them in a single playthrough, but it's better to worry about that on a New Game+, especially if it's your first time playing.
3) Can't remember levels for dates, sorry on that one.
4) Background music does change, but VERY late in the game. All of the new BGM are amazing, much better than the start. My opinion, of course.

Sector C. Arthur has codenamed it “Carina.” Maybe a better name would have been Commerce? Consumption? Credit Card? Seriously:

9APqY.png
6hlC6.png
2SQGv.png

On board the Red Sprite, Zelenin and Jimenez are arguing about the morality of demon summoning. They shut up pretty quickly once Arthur announces that there’s some kind of signal coming in from the Elve. (I thought I was going to find the Elve back in Bootes, but I guess not.) Now, Arthur is quick to point out that just because there’s a signal from the ship, it doesn’t necessarily mean there are survivors--in fact, there’s apparently something odd about the signal, although I don’t get any information about why it’s odd, or what the signal’s contents are. Still, I guess any transmission at all is a glimmer of hope, so that means I’m off to explore.

While I do, I notice a lot of demons mentioning a “Master Horkos”. He seems to have a fairly defining character trait...

kH8Ij.png
n3nEc.png
OqNX1.png

Suddenly I think to myself... what if all of this stuff here is for him? I don't have time to ponder it, though, because I come across another demon who's complaining about the stench of angels nearby. Wait a minute... angels?

eap5v.png

!! He remembered my NAME! Eeee! And he wants to talk!

Mastema tells me that this place is known as "the hidden world of the spirits," that the demons here mirror the actions of humans, and that only humans can prevent Earth from falling to the demon hordes. He also specifically asks after Zelenin and seems happy she's doing OK. Bastard. I thought we had something special. :mad:

Arthur beeps and informs me he's located the Elve! Jimenez is near the location, so he'll go look, but--

U1Sv0.png

Uh oh. I’d better go see if he needs help...

kOizL.png

Or maybe I’ll give the seeing part a miss! Oh God it’s Persona 1 all over again. After bumping into walls a thousand times, I catch up to J. Well, here’s the Elve, but uh...

u2XFi.png
KCQBo.png
A0GGR.png

Yeah, it's a little half-digested, it looks like. Hoooly crap.

eRyCq.png

While Jimenez and I debate what to do, Bugaboo freaks out and runs off by himself. Jimenez yells for him to stop, but not before the little red demon is sucked in by Horkos! Both of us realize we’re powerless to do anything right now... we need to regroup and come up with some kind of plan. Hmm, maybe Mastema might be able to help? Let’s go see him.

rs6H6.png
TnUH2.png
eeRpZ.png

Mastema needs two demons to make the crystal: a Megami and a Wilder. I can make the latter no problem, but it seems like creating a Megami is going to be a little more work. I’ll leave that for tomorrow.

DDS 1 and 2 are about 25 hours each. Persona 3 and 4 are well over 80 hours each. Nocturne is 40-50 depending on whether you do the Amala dungeon and other optional stuff.

I just started P3. Oh god. What have I done. 80 hrs. when you do everything, I hope? That's a frightening number for someone who doesn't usually dig RPGs.

1) Yes, characters get tired to keep you from continuously grinding. They can fight longer at higher levels.
2) You can do S-Links whenever you feel, really. There are guides out there to maxing all of them in a single playthrough, but it's better to worry about that on a New Game+, especially if it's your first time playing.
3) Can't remember levels for dates, sorry on that one.
4) Background music does change, but VERY late in the game. All of the new BGM are amazing, much better than the start. My opinion, of course.

Thanks for the info. Man, I really wish a couple of the tracks would change after just 10 hrs. There are a lot of cool tracks, though. I especially like the guitar tracks in some of the songs.

randomkid

Okay, here's Revelations: Persona soundtrack love-in Part 2! If I can't do a game playthrough right now a soundtrack walkthrough will have to suffice heh. Last time in Part 1 we discussed the two most underrated composers on the soundtrack, now lets get into the real meat of things with Kenichi Tsuchiya, my favorite and the heart of the game's OST. He composed the two major leitmotifs for the two major quests (Kandori and Snow Queen) and a heap of other central music. Also he's the king of slap bass.

The sign of a good character theme is when you can extrapolate from instrument choice and melody to personality. Here Tsuchiya is the man, no one does it better this side of Uematsu. I hear these songs and I've got a perfect picture in my mind of each cast member. It's what I think of when I think of "videogame music" ha, here are my personal favorites, I could listen to these endlessly.

Mary/Maki: Cheerful, just a hint of melancholy in the notes, love that slap bass.
Yuki: Starts a bit slow, but soon we learn that Yuki's cool but determined.
Alana: The song tells me she's brassy, energetic, fun.
Chris/Reiji: Dangerous, exciting, a bad-ass delinquent.
Elly/Ellen: Classy, elegant, confident.

Then we've got the incredible battle music.

Battle: YEAH! A battle theme that never gets old. I love how the concluding drums always seem to hit JUST right no matter when the battle ends.
Midboss Battle: Awakening Legend: Even better, this is what people who love to call music EPIC are talking about right? Serious "some shit is about to go down" music.
Boss Theme: This is prog-rock right? I don't listen to prog-rock so I am just guessing. Whatever, I love this.

And some miscellaneous awesomeness:

Snow Queen Ending: Why is this song not up??? I guess I have to link to the credits then. Timestamped right before that sweet bass starts, and then the "chorus" hits at 4:30 and I start swooning. I still can't believe North Americans were deprived of this!
City 2, City 1 Post Disaster, Both of these songs sound very "Shin Megami Tensei" to me, without even ever having heard a single song from SMT1&2. A grim, very 90s sort of cyberpunk sound for traversal, it's fantastic.

I could keep the Tsuchiya love going but I should give a shout out to Meguro. I mentioned before that he got his start with this OST. Mostly he composed cool interstitial cutscene music (and also three of the endings!) but you can already see the first funky signs of the guy we all love. Really though he deserves a special shout out for the Velvet Room theme, appearing here for the first time. I loved it before hundreds of hours of fusion led me to merely like it.

Setre

So I own Devil Survivor, Devil Survivor 2, Strange Journey, Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4, and Devil Survivor Overclocked. Out of all of those I’ve only beaten P3P and came really close to beating Devil Survivor. Which of these games should I go back and play (besides Persona 4 as I plan to play The Golden)?

I’d also like to add that while I’ve played every one of these games for at least 5 + hours, and P3P for 60 +, I still don’t quite understand the demon fusing. Which of these would be best game to really dig in and learn the mechanics so that I can go back and really enjoy the rest of these games?

cj_iwakura

The lack of that OST is the only thing keeping PersonaSP from perfection.

IMO, Nocturne, Raidou 1, or P3 are good fusion starter games.

In that order.

Also, both Persona 2s use that same loop effect at the end of battle BGM.

evilhomer

Seeing this thread has motivated me to finally finish Nocturne after all these years.

A problem I've had is I've started playing the game again after a while and spent too much time trying to figure out what I was doing with my party and skills etc. and never made much progress. This time I'm just going to brute force my way through the final dungeon and try to remember things as I go along. I may have some problems (that game over screen sure is pretty though) but I really want to get through this and maybe start a new game afterwards.

Koroviev

So I own Devil Survivor, Devil Survivor 2, Strange Journey, Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 4, and Devil Survivor Overclocked. Out of all of those I’ve only beaten P3P and came really close to beating Devil Survivor. Which of these games should I go back and play (besides Persona 4 as I plan to play The Golden)?

I’d also like to add that while I’ve played every one of these games for at least 5 + hours, and P3P for 60 +, I still don’t quite understand the demon fusing. Which of these would be best game to really dig in and learn the mechanics so that I can go back and really enjoy the rest of these games?

Devil Survivor 2 :)

Aeana

Well, good news. My old TV card works with the recent DScaler update that lets it work on Windows 7 x64. So I should be able to play DDS 1 and 2 and take screenshots and stuff. I wish I'd tried to get this working for Raidou 1 before. Oh well.

Top Bottom