• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCKaos

Hey, what is the current Armor Ability setup for Objective? I want to start throwing ideas around for basic map gimmicks, but because I still don't have access to Live (and won't until Tuesday) I need to know what I can do.

I was thinking of making an asymmetrical map that supports 1 Bomb, 1 Flag and Territories. Sort of a combination of High Ground and Zanzibar, with some Terminal thrown in for good measure as far as design goes. What say you, GAF?

Tawpgun

Hey, what is the current Armor Ability setup for Objective? I want to start throwing ideas around for basic map gimmicks, but because I still don't have access to Live (and won't until Tuesday) I need to know what I can do.

I was thinking of making an asymmetrical map that supports 1 Bomb, 1 Flag and Territories. Sort of a combination of High Ground and Zanzibar, with some Terminal thrown in for good measure as far as design goes. What say you, GAF?
The best armor abilities

are no armor abilities.

Vire

Just heard the "new" track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23v9O7kNaP0&feature=player_embedded

Wonderful! Absolute sense of discovery... really love this one, and I'm a tough cookie to please.

I hope this is what you hear when you first crash land on the planet of Requiem. It just encapsulates the feeling of awe and wonderment, but also hints that something is not quite right in this strange place...

Also happy to hear the Sparkcast is on its way.

Overdoziz

Banned

TO has Jetpack, Hologram, Sprint and Active Camo. They're not all in every gametype though.

I've also been working on a Team Objective map, but it shits on itself framerate-wise in splitscreen. Still quite an interesting map though. The middle area in symmetrical while both of the side areas are asymmetrical. You play 1-flag/1-bomb from one side of the middle to the other while you play symmetrical gametypes (and Slayer) from one asymmetrical side to the other.

I'm nearly done with setting up everything to support some gametypes so I can start testing it. It'll probably play like shit but it's still something I think is worth experimenting with.

Noricart

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting the maps for Reach, but from what I've heard through the thread it sounds like they don't show up often. Should I still get them?

Overdoziz

Banned
Oh my god, GDI.

Literally, because you won't see them unless you play in the playlist of only 200 people. Such bullshit.

I remember when Urk told us that matchmaking would put people with DLC together.
I'm not sure if I mind it that much, most of the DLC maps are garbage anyway.

Literally, because you won't see them unless you play in the playlist of only 200 people. Such bullshit.

I remember when Urk told us that matchmaking would put people with DLC together, lol.

Urk was right, and 343 Industries increased the weighting on DLC matching. Check http://halo.xbox.com/en-US/games/HaloReach/Playlists to verify that the maps you want to play are available in the list you want to play, and of course, search with your friends who have the DLC. The more friends you search with, the better your chance of having it show up in matchmaking.

It's not as bad as these guys are making it out to be. I play mostly Team Slayer, and I see DLC show up all the time, especially when I'm in a group of 4 that has all the DLC.

It boggles the mind, but it is possible for DLC to be an option and for it not to show up in the first voting round. I've seen a first round of Forge World variants get voted down, followed by Anniversary maps in the 2nd round.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Urk was right, and 343 Industries increased the weighting on DLC matching. Check http://halo.xbox.com/en-US/games/HaloReach/Playlists to verify that the maps you want to play are available in the list you want to play, and of course, search with your friends who have the DLC. The more friends you search with, the better your chance of having it show up in matchmaking.

I go in solo most of the time.

I still don't trust that shifty ginger.

My guess is its a "D-pad down" weapon like the needler a little stronger than the loadout weapons but not a power weapon.

And obviously it will spawn on the map in certain gametypes much like the carbine did in h3

Eh, I think it will be a starting weapon. Remember we have 15 primary weapons in Halo 4. We've only seen it in campaign, and probably on easy or normal, we don't really know how powerful it will be in MP.

Team Slayer has 10x the population of Super Slayer and has been the game's most popular list for many weeks. Most of the other lists have 85% bloom: Rumble Pit, Double Team, The Arena, Super Slayer, Team Objective, Multi-Team, and Big Team Battle, as well as non-Anniversary gametypes in Anniversary FFA and Anniversary BTB.

Team Slayer has more population for two reasons: It's the first playlist listed in MM and it's called 'Team Slayer'.

It's not as bad as these guys are making it out to be. I play mostly Team Slayer, and I see DLC show up all the time, especially when I'm in a group of 4 that has all the DLC.

It simply doesn't work for most of us. I do not get DLC, almost ever, no matter what playlist I play.

I posted some example stats the last time we discussed this, one of my examples was the last time I've played Anchor 9 in matchmaking was over 7 months ago.

Team Slayer has more population for two reasons: It's the first playlist listed in MM and it's called 'Team Slayer'.
Don't buy it. There was a reason they didn't publish the results of their poll, however flawed it was. Also, Team Slayer wasn't the most popular list before, and the Anniversary lists are given higher priority on the list, and look how popular they are. There is also a component of people who dislike the TU, and their options are limited: Team Slayer, Invasion, and Squad DLC.

Don't buy it. There was a reason they didn't publish the results of their poll, however flawed it was. Also, Team Slayer wasn't the most popular list before, and the Anniversary lists are given higher priority on the list, and look how popular they are. There is also a component of people who dislike the TU, and their options are limited: Team Slayer, Invasion, and Squad DLC.

-There poll meant shit. They had about 4 variables on every voting screen.
-The Anniversary lists are behind a DLC paid wall, so they aren't not popular because not many people have those maps.
-They proved that the top playlist on a list is huge deal when Squad Anniversary was widely more popular than Classic Anniversary when the game came out, and then they switched their spots on the playlist listing (Classic to the spot, and Squad to Classic's old spot), and the populations of the two playlists literally swapped, almost perfectly.
-I've played with many very casual gamer friends and they always pick Team Slayer because it's called Team Slayer and after playing Vanilla and TU gametypes, they did not notice a difference.

Had a dream that a multiplayer demo for Halo 4 came out and I got to 1v1 my friend on Adrift.

The aim assist was very low, strafing was really responsive, and the BR's reticule was very small. That's all I really remember.

inbe4CyReN

The Halo Council is excited to announce a Halo 2 Vista 1v1 tournament! Prizes will be awarded, but are TBD.

Registration

-Registration closes on June 31st, 11:59 EST.
-There is no cap on participants.
-The tournament will begin on July 1st.
-Players will be required to finish a round of the bracket per week.
-To register, you must correctly fill out the template detailed below.
-THC reserves the right to deny any participant from competing.

To sign-up, please use the copy, paste, and fill out the following template and post it in this thread:

Gamertag:
Capturing/Streaming Equipment (Y/N):
Speedtest.net Result:

Rules

-Players will be seeded randomly.
-Every round is a best of three. For game 1, the higher-seeded player will choose to either host the game, or pick the map. For all games afterwards, the loser of the previous game chooses to host or pick the map.
-At any point during a game, a player can choose to forfeit the match. The same applies to the series.
-Players are not allowed to use any method to get outside the normal playspace of the maps.
-The use of any mods or hacks will result in a disqualification in the tournament. This also includes the "Guardian glitch".

Settings and Maps

-The following settings will be used. If a setting is not listed below, it is meant to be left as the default setting. Use the "Slayer" gametype as the base setting.

Score to Win Round = Unlimited
Round Time Limit = 10 Minutes
Suicide Penalty = None
Starting Weapon = Battle Rifle
Weapons on Map = No Duals
Motion Sensor = Off

Maps: Warlock, Midship, Lockout
http://halocouncil.com/content.php?r=461-H2V-1v1-Tournament-Sign-Ups

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I really hope 343 doesn't go down this path like Bungie has done so many times in the past. What the 343 member said during one of the MLG videos about putting power weapons on the map that are appropriate worries me. This is because he mentions not putting a Sniper on small maps even though the size doesn't have much to do with whether a power weapon is good fit on a certain map or not. I depends more on the layout.

Designers HAVE to use shorthand examples to describe problems or even basic design ethics. If they laid out the xceptions, the tables, the feedback data, the spawn constraints, the player habits, the funnel descriptions etc etc, outside of a GDC talk, they would be completely obtuse to all but about .ooo1% of readers when doing interviews. Taking an example and making it a blanket literal is an inelegant and inflexible approach to understanding the broad discussion.

This is why I just shook my head at the responses to one of our designers saying rock/paper/scissors. as if that phrase carried some every secret power of evil. He is not just talking to you, or some very narrow layer of design-aficionados. In fact he is, if you're reading an interview with him, talking to EVERYBODY who is reading.

I am also sure astrophysicists And serious hobbyists shake their head at metaphors and examples Amy Mainzer gives. With her sharp knees.

daedalius

Frank droppin' troof bombs.

Also, soundtrack is sounding amazing; wish I could download the tracks to put on my ipod though. I suppose I could just get some Massive Attack songs for the time being ;)

Great youtube channel, this is definitely my favorite track so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOzoPN3dgZo&feature=autoplay&list=PL82BC81EDE9E883EF&playnext=8

this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoyODM_B2Rc&feature=autoplay&list=PL82BC81EDE9E883EF&playnext=9

We need those without the voices suppressed in the background.

Designers HAVE to use shorthand examples to describe problems or even basic design ethics. If they laid out the xceptions, the tables, the feedback data, the spawn constraints, the player habits, the funnel descriptions etc etc, outside of a GDC talk, they would be completely obtuse to all but about .ooo1% of readers when doing interviews. Taking an example and making it a blanket literal is an inelegant and inflexible approach to understanding the broad discussion.

This is why I just shook my head at the responses to one of our designers saying rock/paper/scissors. as if that phrase carried some every secret power of evil. He is not just talking to you, or some very narrow layer of design-aficionados. In fact he is, if you're reading an interview with him, talking to EVERYBODY who is reading.

I am also sure astrophysicists And serious hobbyists shake their head at metaphors and examples Amy Mainzer gives. With her sharp knees.

Yeah, i rarely give much credence to statements like this because they are blanket statements intended for the masses to give some basic understanding, Its why i never brought the point up for discussion.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Frank droppin' troof bombs.

Also, soundtrack is sounding amazing; wish I could download the tracks to put on my ipod though. I suppose I could just get some Massive Attack songs for the time being ;)

I had to compress them from lossless to MP3 for simplicity of car listening. Felt bad man. Not that I can tell the difference in my flimsy Honda Fit.

CyReN

Hypertrooper I would make one of the prizes a 343i hoodie but you know how it is <3

---
Soundtrack sounds good so far, I liked Halo Reach but the menu music can burn, it's so ingrained into my head it hurts now. Something about those drums drive me nuts after 1 1/2 years.

Overdoziz

Banned

What mainly sparked my concerns is the fact that the Sword spawns (as of now) on Adrift which seems to have a twist and turns with cramped hallways throughout the map. Doesn't sound appropriate for a Sword to be on, especially combined with Sprint and Thrusters.

What mainly sparked my concerns is the fact that the Sword spawns (as of now) on Adrift which seems to have a twist and turns with cramped hallways throughout the map. Doesn't sound appropriate for a Sword to be on, especially combined with Sprint and Thrusters.

Adrift seems to have fairly large sightlines in some places. Not saying the sword will not be useful on that map but its going to have fairly good counters.

Ultimately we will all have to wait and see, im perfectly prepared and fine with a month or two adjustment period after shipping with balance(in terms of global spawns) being tweaked more.

His diamond-encrusted dubs more than make up for that.

Not to mention the tinted windws he has to decrease the glare given off from his forehead on sunny days. Gotta be wary of other road users and all that jazz.

On a somewat related note, I'm going to Dublin on Wednesday to a apply to be an extra in a series where my beard and long hair will be a (hopefully) major plus in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom