• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's pretty clear that although it probably isn't going to be a WOW clone, the games structure will have MMO properties to it.
Still there is a difference between properties and "The game is a MMO". Activision and Bungie are not dumb. They both know hopefully that a MMO is not the perfect introduction game to a new Universe. Especially the case of TOR shows that even a strong licensed game with solid gameplay does not deliver profit to the publishers. Let us face it: The Old Republic was a big failure, financially, for EA, LucasArts and BioWare. A MMO a) is expensive in a long-term; b) needs consistent user base which is not guaranteed. Do not forget that Blizzard is working on their new "rumored Sci-fi" MMO "Titan". Why should Activision release a MMO when their partner is going to release one too? The thought that Bungie's new game is a MMO is dumb. The game will focus on Singleplayer but with "massively-multiplayer style" elements. This could mean a world map like Hybrid, Chromhounds or a trading system like EVE.

Kuroyume

Banned
It's been a quiet few days for HaloGAF.

People just...stopped posting.

ibwLdO8xeFrJXZ.gif

I doubt that'd be true even if console didn't force devs to make truly optimal engines.

Of course, his argument is that innovations like motion control are what drive sales, which I can get behind. That said, though, I do think next-gen consoles will be able to get quite a bit out of consumers just by offering graphically superior products. Star Wars 1313 made quite a splash at E3 because it looked unprecedented, visually, and Watch_Dogs impressive graphics helped it to really blow people away.

The topic of this article is: "Controllers are boring, Kinect, Move does not exist in my world, Next Gen is going to be only a update in terms of graphic, my virtual reality headset is going to revolutionize the gaming world"

The first comment was lol. Xbox 360 is at its limit. Still he says that games are going to get better graphics. Nope. It is at its limit. He is right with story etc.

FyreWulff

It's pretty true though.

Number of pixels rendered to make a final Halo image on 360 @ 720p (HDR, so 3 views per render):

2,764,800 per frame(82,944,000 pixels per second)

1080p native with HDR @ 60FPS:

6,220,800 per frame (373,248,000 pixels per second)

So now you need to push around 3x the pixels AND bump it up to twice the update rate? Yeah, sure.

1080p isn't going to be a standard next gen. Actual 720p native as a baseline with some 1080p games? Okay.

Shadders

I think Carmack is probably looking at the specs from a PC developer's perspective. It would be unwise to think that the console is going to offer similar performance to a PC with the same specs. In reality the console will be able to do much more.

If you tried to run Rage on a PC from 2005 with the same specs as the 360 it would probably melt, whereas the game runs fine on an Xbox. So where the paper the specs of the Nextbox might suggest it's underpowered, in terms of the games we'll actually see running on it, I'm sure it will be fine.

FyreWulff

HaloGAF is dead lol

My electric company is giving me a launch-Reach level payout here

M5Svs.png

I demand more Halo 4 news! Demand, I say!

Halo 4 confirmed to have guns, possibly bullets

http://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst90082_Which-3-BTB-maps-would-you-remove-from-MM.aspx

Waypoint Thread said:
Which 3 BTB maps would you remove from MM and why. Please note that I have not included any DLC based maps or variants since they rarely crop up. Also, I was going to include a poll but it only allowed up to ten choices.

Mentions up to and including post #65:

Cragmire - 18
Spire - 14
Paradiso - 12
Boardwalk - 10
Boneyard - 10
Hemorrhage - 9
Asphalt - 8
Utopie - 6
Graveyard - 5
Wayont - 4
Abridged - 4
Mt Lam Lam - 4
Renegade - 3
Delta facility - 3
Rasu - 2
Trident - 1

Striker

Remove Wayont or at least get its framerate from the 'Hog spawn fixed. Why was the shield door added, and the extra pieces in the battlefield? In the ILoveBTB vids they had a different variant, and Bungie set this out and it's fairly different. Also Paradiso, lol. Why is this shit still in MM when Utopie was supposedly replacing it? Epitaph/Prologue, Snowbound/Boundless, Pit/Pit Stop all over again. At least The Cage was cut completely, AFAIK.

Done with that level, just had to make sure to EMP everything on the turret.

Plasma rifles do wonders to Elite shields.

Stopping at Long Night of Solace for today. That space battle gives me chills just thinking about it on Legendary. Not to metnion the area where you defend Jorge.
First time I did a no-deaths run, I couldn't glitch myself into the Pelican and use the gun, so I had to do it the hard way. If you never fire a shot at the Elites in that last section, they with ignore you and go for Jorge. It takes some time and a little hiding, but you can assassinate them all if you can get them alone.

got my tickets to RTX, I play Halo 4 in 17 days
The timing is terrible, I have to be out of town that weekend. booooooooooooooo

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
First time I did a no-deaths run, I couldn't glitch myself into the Pelican and use the gun, so I had to do it the hard way. If you never fire a shot at the Elites in that last section, they with ignore you and go for Jorge. It takes some time and a little hiding, but you can assassinate them all if you can get them alone.

Had no idea there was a Pelican glitch, that may help. Otherwise I'll try your suggestion. Is the space combat doable on Legendary?

Find power weapon, kill everyone in a vehicle?
Funnily enough I don't usually pick up power weapons (except for plasma pistol, I slways have one on my pocket), I guess it has more to do with your playstyle.

Also, in case you didn't know: if you put some shots with your AR/BR on a vehicle while it's getting lasered/plasma launchered it'll give you the kill, I have earnt lots of laser medals with my AR lol

That's probably because nearly everyone in BTB plays like they're holding the controller with their butt-cheeks.

Thought "I'll have a quick few games of Halo before work"

Go into Snipers playlist

Hemorrhage top of the voting list as usual: instant 6 votes

Fuck the playerbase. I wondered if I should enter the playlist based on the risk of that map showing up. It's the most boring, life sapping gametype map combo in the game.

Second thing wrong: I start to wonder why my shots are registering a second late. Check the opponent mid game: He's from fucking Brazil. Edit: 2 guys from Brazil

People lauded reach's netcode frothingly but these last few months my opinion of it has undergone a massive revision. It's basically started to fall apart to the point where it's unplayable as a competitive game past a certain time at night. P2P.

Anyway, after one of theirs quit in that Hem game I've decided to sit in a corner of the map. Awful again from Reach.

Had no idea there was a Pelican glitch, that may help. Otherwise I'll try your suggestion. Is the space combat doable on Legendary?

The space area is very easy.
Yeah, the space sections are stupidly easy. If your shields go down, just haul ass behind the station or carrier and wait for them to recharge.

The only thing that's better than BTB is Elite Only BTB
Don't know why more people don't like the Elite-only combat. Jump height, run speed, and shield/health recharge is way more similar to older Halos. Only real issue that I can remember was the Needler loadout (Evade is/was a universal problem).

I've long ago decided to never sit through a Sniper game on Hemorrhage ever again.

Anyone else feel that as the time goes by with Reach they've become increasingly intolerant of playing bullshit in MM they flat DO NOT WANT TO PLAY. Like Rocket Race in multiteam? Snipes on Hem? AR start gametypes at night when the pistol shoots hot air?

It's driving me away from the game honestly. I want to scratch Forge World off my disc so I only play base maps for one thing.

kylej

Banned
I find the concept of being forced to choose specific playlists with specific content that somebody else decided on to be increasingly outdated.

Recarpo

I find the concept of being forced to choose specific playlists with specific content that somebody else decided on to be increasingly outdated.

I don't mind it as much if the playlists/maps/gametypes are managed well. But since that never really seems to happen, I don't see why a custom browser, or something of the sort, isn't becoming more standard.

Fuchsdh

I don't mind it as much if the playlists/maps/gametypes are managed well. But since that never really seems to happen, I don't see why a custom browser, or something of the sort, isn't becoming more standard.

Well, there's the rub. Everyone's opinion of what's being managed well (both in the actual management, and in the actual content they are managing) is different. I like Rocket Race (then again I don't play Multi-Team all the time so I'm not confronted with it often), I like AR starts on lots of maps. Lots of people don't like those. But for console games I really don't see how switching to a custom games lobby would really work out that well. Even on immensely popular PC games it can be incredible hard to find what you want to play--case in point, good luck matchmaking a gametype that's not on the first page of the StarCraft II browser--it can take hours to fill up for a game of Eras Zombie Invasion, and then the likelihood is someone will quit and ruin the game five minutes in.

Maybe a compromise would be a way to broadcast certain custom or fringe types for specialty matchmaking so people could fill up those without trying to hit the lottery in the main playlists.

FyreWulff

Anyone else feel that as the time goes by with Reach they've become increasingly intolerant of playing bullshit in MM they flat DO NOT WANT TO PLAY. Like Rocket Race in multiteam? Snipes on Hem? AR start gametypes at night when the pistol shoots hot air?

It's driving me away from the game honestly. I want to scratch Forge World off my disc so I only play base maps for one thing.

Gametype tolerance has dropped later in every Halo game's run for me. As time goes on you figure out what you don't like at all and what you don't love, versus launch and near launch where you'll play basically anything given to you because it's playing.

I don't think I've played a single game of Team Snipers (and if I did, I forgot when I played it) because of how boring and dull it was in Halo 3. If I got it on Hem or some shit I'd probably just throw my Xbox out the window.

Fuchsdh

Gametype tolerance has dropped later in every Halo game's run for me. As time goes on you figure out what you don't like at all and what you don't love, versus launch and near launch where you'll play basically anything given to you because it's playing.

I don't think I've played a single game of Team Snipers (and if I did, I forgot when I played it) because of how boring and dull it was in Halo 3. If I got it on Hem or some shit I'd probably just throw my Xbox out the window.

I have yet to find someone who can convince me Team Snipers is a good gametype anyhow. Something that increases camping = bad in my book.

As little as Headhunter ever pops up in MM, what I enjoy most about the gametype is that it actively discourages any sort of static playstyle.

I have yet to find someone who can convince me Team Snipers is a good gametype anyhow. Something that increases camping = bad in my book.

As little as Headhunter ever pops up in MM, what I enjoy most about the gametype is that it actively discourages any sort of static playstyle.

oh snap i forgot about headhunter. I should play some FFA.

Striker

Putting in unlimited ammo is a terrible decision.

Overdoziz

Banned

People rarely camp on good Team Sniper maps. i.e. ones that aren't huge.

Tawpgun

But a custom browser won't work because people will put naughty things in the server name!

Custom browser would work but it better not replace matchmaking. It's a lot harder to get a party into a server with custom browsers. That, and if players host them they're gonna be kicking you for donging too hard.

Matchmaking is the best system so far. An ideal system would be, Matchmaking, pre-game lobby style for ranked/competetive playlists. Join in progress for Social playlists. Custom browser with player BOUGHT/Rented servers for custom games.

FyreWulff

I still can't believe it's gone like 2 games now with not even KotH. It's just Team Slayer with one weapon. How does this piece of shit support being it's own playlist I'll never know.

Promethean sniper is pretty much confirmed, no word on a covenant one yet.

that is cool, but I am talking about Reach. I wonder why they took out the covie sniper. Honestly I don't even want to play with any covenant weapons after seeing the promethean's weapons on display. I am ready to vaporize people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom