• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Battlefield gives you an assist based on damage down to the single percentage point. (I get 77 assist points if I took out 77% of his health)

Shut the front door! Thats pretty cool. Its like a system, that makes sense, and its in a video game!?

If you and Over and Kyle make me roll my eyes anymore, they're going to fall out of my head. THINK about what you're saying: Halo MM is in a relative stone age when compared to shooters with server lists (circa the 1990's). Reach has too low a population to do gametype-specific lists like CoD, and a server browser would either be too unwieldy with custom variations or restricted to an effective poor-man's matchmaking. Matchmaking was one of the best online innovations that Bungie introduced to the Xbox. Your complaint is bizarre, especially considering your crusade against poor skill matches.

Asks the German! I love Settlers of Catan and Puerto Rico, both "German-style" board games made by Germans!

Have you ever thought that Reach is in this state because everyone else left to go play games they get to choose what they want to play? That if they added this CRAZY idea into their game people might enjoy playing it...and you might have Halo #'s again?

I know HiredNoobs gnashes his teeth at the idea, but I love that I could level up faster by winning/doing good in the game, and less emphasis on just playing a million games until fat Inheritor status
I actually don't have a problem with performance awards, I just think that rewarding people for simply playing the game provides an incentive for all players to play, which is in everyone's interest (more players = better matches). I think there is some merit to reward players for improving, and I think the best system would strike a balance in between.

And "n00b" is spelled with zeros, n00b.

BigShow36

I shouldn't be, but I'm surprised there are complaints about players being rewarded for being team players. Especially considering the mountains of complaints about the assist system in Reach not giving players proper credit for helping kill enemies.

It dimishes the reward system as a whole. You get rewarded for every stupid thing you do now, even just standing there getting shot at, that all the medals just seem stupid. "Oh cool, another medal."

Most people just zone them out at this point, and they add unnecessary clutter. It's a condescending pat on the back.

I actually don't have a problem with performance awards, I just think that rewarding people for simply playing the game provides an incentive for all players to play, which is in everyone's interest (more players = better matches). I think there is some merit to reward players for improving, and I think the best system would strike a balance in between.

I guess I'm old-school. I remember when we used to play game's because they were fun.

Retro

Anyone of you guys knows a great card/board game for 3-4 players?

Scattergories usually works for my family. Otherwise we stick to poker and such.

Something that encourages better team play is fantastic. Retro's shops kind of outlined more how I thought people were worried about the partial reward.
Are you talking about the example of someone getting rewarded for being an unintended distraction? Because surely you can see something ...silly about that?

Buh? My shops were a playful response to Duncan's "Everyone gets credits for flag caps" idea, meant to positively reinforce players focusing on objectives rather than kills in objective gametypes. Actually, to be more specific, it was poking fun at the "OMG text in teh center of teh screen" complaints and his "bonus [should be] immediate and obvious" comment. The stuff about assists and stuff broke after.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I know I bitched about the assists in Reach more than everything. I definitely feel like they've been changed after seeing some stats from the MLG games. Damage based points would be nice but I do like the medals.

Buh? My shops were a playful response to Duncan's "Everyone gets credits for flag caps" idea, meant to positively reinforce players focusing on objectives rather than kills in objective gametypes. Actually, to be more specific, it was poking fun at the "OMG text in teh center of teh screen" complaints and his "bonus [should be] immediate and obvious" comment. The stuff about assists and stuff broke after.
Which I linked by saying it comes from the same camp of spoon feeding constant rewards.

Retro

Which I linked by saying it comes from the same camp of spoon feeding constant rewards.

There's a difference between positive reinforcement for completing an objective in an objective game and handing out points for things that just happen naturally during game play ("Oh, I got points for being a distraction? I didn't notice I was being shot!").

I realize that sounds retarded since "Completing an objective" is one of those things that's naturally supposed to happen in objective based games, but the sad fact is it doesn't. I stopped playing objective matches because I was sick of being the only one who was... you know... working towards the objective.

Removing k/d from objective, giving out credits just for doing what you're supposed to be doing in the first place, whatever solution needs to be implemented... I miss playing FPS staples like Capture the Flag. I'm sick of Halo being "Infection", "Slayer" and "Those modes nobody plays".

I don't think I'm alone in this?

J10

Banned
Multiple times you've said that, whether it be what we're saying about Halo or we're not discussing Halo enough. Do you even like being here?

Not really. I'm not here for the community though. I'm here because Frankie and Ellis don't have much of a presence anywhere else.

Posted?
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/20/master-chief-and-his-cryotube-toy-set/

halo-4-master-chief.jpg

There's a difference between positive reinforcement for completing an objective in an objective game and handing out points for things that just happen naturally during game play ("Oh, I got points for being a distraction? I didn't notice I was being shot!").
I think you may be mis-alinging my point. All I'm saying is, handing out points for doing something natural as you put it (the "distractions") comes from the same sad "go you" camp that putting the text in the middle of the screen does.

I wasn't referring to the flag cap stuff at all.

No, but we saw it a few months ago I believe. Is neat.

Not really. I'm not here for the community though. I'm here because Frankie and Ellis don't have much of a presence anywhere else.
Wow. W-o-w. Well. Thank you for being honest.

Jesus Christ.

It dimishes the reward system as a whole. You get rewarded for every stupid thing you do now, even just standing there getting shot at, that all the medals just seem stupid. "Oh cool, another medal."

Most people just zone them out at this point, and they add unnecessary clutter. It's a condescending pat on the back.

I guess I'm old-school. I remember when we used to play game's because they were fun.

Now games are making you feel bad? Or at least they're trying to? What?

J10

Banned
Why don't you just pm frank or Ellis and leave this thread alone then?

I've had everyone on ignore except me for a while now. Gets lonely sometimes.

I don't expect them to answer all my questions personally, most of which would be redundant anyway since you all ask a lot of the same ones anyway.

I do have some people on ignore. They get quoted often and I see their bullshit anyway.

If you and Over and Kyle make me roll my eyes anymore, they're going to fall out of my head. THINK about what you're saying: Halo MM is in a relative stone age when compared to shooters with server lists (circa the 1990's). Reach has too low a population to do gametype-specific lists like CoD, and a server browser would either be too unwieldy with custom variations or restricted to an effective poor-man's matchmaking. Matchmaking was one of the best online innovations that Bungie introduced to the Xbox. Your complaint is bizarre, especially considering your crusade against poor skill matches.

Hey, I'm just going by what others tell me about those games, I've never meaningfully played any COD or Battlefield. He just tells me a story about playing what he wants to play and it sounds soothing after a night of gametypes and maps being voted in that I don't want to play. I know, grass is greener etc, I'm sure those games have problems.

You make the valid point that Reach has too low a population to support gametype specific lists; I'd argue that part of the problem is that there are far too many gametypes in Reach and that it needs to be pared back. Objective is swamped in an over abundance of gametype variants and that increases the chance that I'll end up playing something that I really don't want to like Stockpile or Hot Potato.

The point about skill matches is self defeating. If the game is using MM playlists and it can't skill match appropriately then why not throw the pretence of trueskill out the window altogether and employ server lists so I never have to play Hemorrhage snipes again?

You mean like old-school arcade games where you pushed up some meaningless, unnecessary counter? Incentive systems are as old as video games. RPGs were built around incentive systems that influence gameplay. If it hooks players, adds enjoyment or fun, and doesn't detract from the experience of players that don't care, I don't see the problem.

I don't expect them to answer all my questions personally, most of which would be redundant anyway since you all ask a lot of the same ones anyway.

I do have some people on ignore. They get quoted often and I see their bullshit anyway.
Ignore everyone except Stinkles and lybertyboy.

You mean like old-school arcade games where you pushed up some meaningless, unnecessary counter? Incentive systems are as old as video games. RPGs were built around incentive systems that influence gameplay. If it hooks players, adds enjoyment or fun, and doesn't detract from the experience of players that don't care, I don't see the problem.
i always found it dumb to unlock things when you can just have them right away instead.

Now games are making you feel bad? Or at least they're trying to? What?
As in, the actual game mechanics aren't the focus so much as it is feeling good over the positive reinforcement layer.

You mean a score? Like the one that every Halo match revolved around even before credits?

i always found it dumb to unlock things when you can just have them right away instead.
You never enjoyed unlocking stuff, in any game, ever? I loved playing stuff like Smash Bros. with my bros and unlocking characters, stages, and trophies, especially because we were able to do it together.

m23

Watching these Halo 4 videos is really hyping me up for the game. The differences between Team Slayer and Infinity Slayer show that we may get certain playlists that are more dedicated to players who enjoy the core Halo gameplay. I know its already been confirmed that there will be playlists that will be stripped down to more of the core stuff, so I am hopeful I wont have to deal with those perks/mods/specializations/unnecessary crap.

Game looks great, pre-ordered limited edition, I am ready.

Thats a horrible reason, i mean seriously. See this thread? yeah its in the community forum, its also the most active and largest in this forum. Want to know why? because we exists, discuss and thrive as a community and honestly your welcome in that community because its open and cool like that. Yes we may argue and fight and such but we are still all part of the community at the end of it all. If your only here for David and Frank then get twitter and lurk this forum and refrain from posting about how much you dislike communities being communities in a community thread in a community forum.

J10

Banned
I'm just thinking about it (kind of dumbfounded honestly, silly old me), but isn't this pretty much the case where it's that person who joins a club because they like the activity, but thinks they better than everyone else/that everyone else in the club is an idiot?

Much better.

Hang on a second. I've repeatedly been told very plainly that I have "bad opinions" when I don't happen to fall in line with the majority. I once even said that I thought I was pretty good at the game, to which juices replied, after looking at my stats, eh, you're not really that good. And after that I've asked to play with people here more than once and have been ignored every time. I've only ignored people who appear to me to be very obvious trolls who have virtually nothing positive to say in any given conversation.

Why is it cool for me to get shitted on but I can't express MY distaste for other's opinions without being dismissed as an elitist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom