• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Conundrum |OT| A game made by Kim Swift - lead designer on Portal 1

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the lack of interest in this game is mind blowing. this seems like a no-brainer cult hit here, and yet the thread is barely moving. the audience for this game doesn't know it exists.

AHA-Lambda

I have to admit I'm interested and may get it for XBLA, but that quick look wasn't the most enticing stuff. It seems the game will be fun and decent, but nothing memorable. At least, that's my impressions of it so far.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else on the humour, seems really weak.

Holy Wars

Banned
The game looks like a cheap kids game in promo images. For people who know what it is it's an easy sell, but i imagine most people have no idea it exists.

Shurs

the lack of interest in this game is mind blowing. this seems like a no-brainer cult hit here, and yet the thread is barely moving. the audience for this game doesn't know it exists.

Had this game released simultaneously on all platforms, this thread would be bigger.

haikira

Bought this yesterday, just a few hours before release. But had an exam today, so obviously hadn't tried it yet. Going to stick it on soon and try it. Looking forward to it.

Sloane

Banned
Too many colors!

To be fair, the game kinda came out of nowhere. I hadn't heard of it until a few weeks ago.

Gaaraz

Bought this yesterday, just a few hours before release. But had an exam today, so obviously hadn't tried it yet. Going to stick it on soon and try it. Looking forward to it.
I hadn't even heard of it before I saw the GameCentral review of it earlier:

Despite our complaints Quantum Conundrum is still a great puzzle game, but sticking so close to the Portal template it invites comparisons that almost always go against it. Swift's puzzle-creating powers are not diminished but the nagging sense of déjà vu, and the softer edge to the presentation, means this is unlikely to have the same impact as her first game.

Pros: Hugely imaginative puzzles that manage to always seem impossible just seconds before you figure them out. The ISD and four dimensions are cleverly thought out.

Cons: Unengaging plot and characters with so-so dialogue. Dull, repetitive environments and too much first person platforming.

Score: 8/10
Have to say I really like the look of it, can't wait to try the demo

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

-Zero internet buzz on the relevant places. RPS came down on it pretty hard and my friend told me that the Giantbomb guys actually rage quit the game.

-Also, I have seen like zero actual internet marketing for it.

-The Kim Swift name is kinda meaningless to anyone who views Valve as a whole team working to create amazing products *together* rather than individuals.

-Valve is about the only people I have seen prop the game up a bit with a nice pre-order push.

Shahadan

Let's be honest, it looks and sounds shitty and the main gameplay idea behind it doesn't have the "wow" factor of Portal.

When you haven't played it and know little about it, the game must appear rather average.

Kade

WHERE ARE THE VIDEO SETTINGS?! WHY DOESN'T IT SUPPORT 1440x900?! DO I HAVE TO CHANGE EVERYTHING IN THE CFG FILE?! THE MOUSE ACCEL AND MOTION BLUR ARE ACTUALLY MAKING ME NAUSEOUS.

EXGN

So this game is pretty good? It's been on my radar, but the over reliance on Kim Swift's past involvement on Portal as a selling point has made me skeptical. I'll check out the demo this weekend.

It's not quite "Kim Swift is about to make you her bitch" levels, but the fact that I can't escape a preview/interview without seeing Portal and Valve references makes it seem as if the game can't stand on its own, IMO.

So this game is pretty good? It's been on my radar, but the over reliance on Kim Swift's past involvement on Portal as a selling point has made me skeptical. I'll check out the demo this weekend.

It's not quite "Kim Swift is about to make you her bitch" levels, but the fact that I can't escape a preview/interview without seeing Portal and Valve references makes it seem as if the game can't stand on its own, IMO.

It's pretty good.

If you like Portal then I think you will be entertained. If like Portal more than Portal 2 then you will be happy but maybe not shocked and amazed. If you like Portal 2 more than Portal and expect this to be like Portal 2 then you will probably throw some sort of fit.

Nabs

I'm pretty sure they have a demo coming out, maybe that'll help boost the game a bit. Maybe some people are waiting for the upcoming Summer sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm pretty sure they have a demo coming out, maybe that'll help boost the game a bit. Maybe some people are waiting for the upcoming Summer sale.

I think Kim Swift's past is haunting the game a bit. Every description begins with, "Well, the creative director is the co-creator of Portal and ...", which can easily set up some lofty expectations, particularly in regard to the extrinsic, non-puzzle elements.

DarkKyo

ByJOk.jpg

Anyone know what puzzle they are talking about? I can't imagine there is one that hard...

fallout

http://i.imgur.com/ByJOk.jpg

Anyone know what puzzle they are talking about? I can't imagine there is one that hard...
I think that was done for comedic purposes. You know, to make you laugh.

Anyway, I played it for about an hour or so last night and all that really matters to me is that I was scratching my head sometimes and smiling stupidly when I figured out the solution. It's satisfying in a way that a puzzle game is supposed to be.

Just a heads up that there's a 25% off voucher for this at Green Man Gaming.
Voucher code is: QUANT-UMCON-UNDRM , available for another 18 hours only.

Brings the regular or the season pass edition prices down to £7.50 / £10.50 for us limeys and (my Batman hat says) ~ $11.25 / $15 for Others.

I was tempted yesterday but wanted to check out a few reviews before buying. Might pull the trigger tomorrow, hmm. Sucks for the day1ers.

Inkwell

Banned
The game is fun but definitely needed a little more polish. I think there may have been a few puzzles that I cheated on a bit. Felt like I was solving them incorrectly. Other than that it was pretty solid. I actually enjoyed all the platforming. I don't know if I'll go back and 100% the game. Collecting everything might be fun, but I'm not too excited about the challenges.

I've put a couple hours into this and got past the first area. It's really not a bad game at all. I like the whimsical, Pixar look to it. Voice acting is fine. Humor is hit or miss, mostly hit for me. Gameplay is great. I'm not understanding the negative talk about it. Although I have noticed a big a slowdown when transitioning rooms. It's not bad and it only happens for, like, maybe a second or two.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just turned on the first generator, but due to this game seemingly not supporting 1440*900 I'ma gonna wait till my shiny new 1920*1080 monitor arrives tomorrow.

So much fun so far though, you can really see the Portal influences but at the same time it's a very, very different game.

AND HOW BIG IS THIS GUY'S HOUSE?!?

gdt

Just a heads up that there's a 25% off voucher for this at Green Man Gaming.
Voucher code is: QUANT-UMCON-UNDRM , available for another 18 hours only.

Brings the regular or the season pass edition prices down to £7.50 / £10.50 for us limeys and (my Batman hat says) ~ $11.25 / $15 for Others.

I was tempted yesterday but wanted to check out a few reviews before buying. Might pull the trigger tomorrow, hmm. Sucks for the day1ers.

Did this plus traded in that free game we got awhile back. Got it for $8.25 like a boss.

I'd be really interested in this game, if it worked on my PC. Can't find a solution to my bizarre framerate issue. The fact that there are no video options and really obnoxious mouse acceleration doesn't help either.

I think the big problem why people don't completely bite is that Portal 1 was goddamn perfect, Portal 2 was amazing in terms of storytelling and witty dialogue (while the gameplay was already often times repetitive and not all that interesting) and Quantum Conundrum is like Portal made with less resources, the core mechanic isn't as cool and innovative as the Portals were back in the day and people just automatically compare it to Portal 2. Also, Turok-like First Person Platforming has never been any good.

For 15 bucks, I think everyone should get it, but it's easy to see why people aren't batshit crazy over it.

Wikzo

Minor spoiler about one level in the game:

The game gets really interesting when you receive the third dimension:
slow motion

There is one level (Yellow Wing - "It's Slow Throwing From Here On Out") where you have to block two blue laser beams and thereby turn off some red laser beams (that destroy everything in their path) to push a button.

You have two boxes (one heavy and one tiny) at your disposal. The obvious solution is to throw the heavy box directly at the red lasers, then turn on slow motion, hurry over to the blue lasers and block them with the tiny box.

I really wanted to record this, but for some reason both the Print Screen button and CamStudio only give me a black screen. It was only Steams built-in screengrabber that could actually give me any screenshots.

Sorry for the big images.

Here is the basic setup of the puzzle:
0528240C02AF63F30E42FA4C4E760E30EF0C7B6F

However, I found an alternative solution:

Instead of blocking the lasers, I simply took a box and throw it out in the air:
AFE769D265FF5D54BB3B1D1D07514B6A2AF502C9

Then, mid-air, I used slow motion and jumped on the box, flewing with it across the map right to the exit door. It took some tries, but I managed to time my jumps and thereby reached the exit without doing the laser puzzle at all:
D49BD5972F3D4345EB75FFC7AC1FFC53F30AE320

However, this was not enough. I took all the furniture back with me and used it to block for the blue lasers:
D83AF06DA1E49BF9E7059FA885348887A48EB401

CB9749CB0952856C2ED6C94E11D476D645548A85

A30CA05209AF9DDF2B5BFBCD6C3148E1B309A9D3

Then I took the last sofa (the big one) and threw it across, switched on slow motion, and then jumped on it and surfed my way through the air:
BB89B9549DB61ED28FE74CEE7E934929FBE9AB32

This was such an awesome feeling. The game doesn't really force you to solve a puzzle in a certain way. Due to the physical nature of the game, you can really found many interesting and alternative solutions like this.

You feel smart and cool when you discover and perform something like this. The slow motion feature (air surfing!) alone is enough to justify buying this game :)

Guri

Wow, that was fantastic! The one in the library was amazing too. I
pushed the button, jumped on the safe, grabbed a box and, with that, I pushed all the others to the other side. I could also grab one box at a time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the problem with comparing this to Portal. Mechanically, it basically is Portal. But that's... fine? I've played two games that are actually like Portal, and they are named Portal and Portal 2.

I have some problems with the game, but if you enjoyed Portal buying this should be an absolute no-brainer.

I don't see the problem with comparing this to Portal. Mechanically, it basically is Portal. But that's... fine? I've played two games that are actually like Portal, and they are named Portal and Portal 2.

I think after Portal, Portal DLC, Portal 2 and the upcoming Portal 2 DLC people might not be as ready for Quantum Conundrum at the moment.

I have some problems with the game, but if you enjoyed Portal buying this should be an absolute no-brainer.

I enjoyed Portal and I'm probably getting Portal 2 DLC, but mostly for its presentation - not necessarily for the pure gameplay. To me, Quantum Conundrum falls into the same category Q.U.B.E. fell into: Obviously inspired by Portal, yet it's not quite up to that level of quality and completely lacks the insanely well written story aspect of Portal.

When people got Portal 1, dressing up a Puzzle Game as a FPS was still a novel idea, Portal 2 was amazing because of its presentation (even in Portal 2 none of the new game mechanics were as interesting as the Portals themselves), if you strip the game of that, you end up with something that might be good, but just can't really sustain itself. Put Platforming on top of that in a First Person Game and you end up with something that people just won't be as excited for.

Ceebs

If you can stand the first person platforming, this game is great. The puzzles get evil pretty quickly too. You will start a room and go "You want me to do WHAT?" The you feel like a fucking master of video games when you finish it a few minutes later.

Anyone else notice the paintings change when you change dimensions?

2242741-professor_heavy_super.jpg
2242742-professor_fluffy_super.jpg
2242743-professor_normal_super.jpg

2242744-main_character_fluffy_super.jpg

2242745-main_character_super.jpg

Got up to where GB were in the Quick Look, and they were a bit dishonest about the surprise of FP platforming. There was quite a bit of first-person platforming before that which I liked, and the high-speed conveyor belt served as a nice chase sequence pallet cleanser between levels. If there are more conveyor belt sequences, maybe I'd hate it. I really liked the double bouncing, hope that comes up again, this is much more twitch-based than Portal at least.

The basketball stuff was SO AWESOME.

cackhyena

I feel like this game's look would benefit greatly from a harder/thicker outline around every object. Rockwell style. Some things, especially the browns wanna kinda bleed together.

Guri

Just passed the second generator. The level before that was hard, and now I feel like a really smart person.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Someone please make a mod to shut the old geezer up.

Options > Audio > Dialog

Actually I had the hardest time getting the dialog to work, but it turned out my settings were set to 7.1 surround when i was playing on 2.1 speakers so change that and all was good.

On a separate note this is pretty much the first time I've been absolutely stuck on a puzzle game since some old school non-lucas arts point and clicks. Never got stuck on braid, portal 1/2, or Q.U.B.E.. It's the one where
you first use slow dimension to increase the airtime of the cardboard box to block the activation lazer to bring the fluffy dimension generator to a slot behind some deadly lazers. It's in the level called "a safe to blot out the sun" or something like that. Now I have a fluffy dimension, a couch, and a ledge I need propping up too, but no way around the lazers to get the couch there, since you need to activate fluffy to carry the couch and slow to block the lazers and you can only do one at once.
I hope I'm not missing some poorly discribed mechanic or something.

Well back to banging my head against it I guess.

Edit: Oh and I'm apparently the only person ever to think FPS platforming is the best thing ever.

Edit 2: HA figured it out. My no needing help streak stays alive! Funny how complaining about it makes the answer come to you. You have to
send the couch through the air and go to the slow demension and while the couch is in the air, run and deactivate the lazer.

Ceebs

Options > Audio > Dialog

Actually I had the hardest time getting the dialog to work, but it turned out my settings were set to 7.1 surround when i was playing on 2.1 speakers so change that and all was good.

On a separate note this is pretty much the first time I've been absolutely stuck on a puzzle game since some old school non-lucas arts point and clicks. Never got stuck on braid, portal 1/2, or Q.U.B.E.. It's the one where
you first use slow dimension to increase the airtime of the cardboard box to block the activation lazer to bring the fluffy dimension generator to a slot behind some deadly lazers. It's in the level called "a safe to blot out the sun" or something like that. Now I have a fluffy dimension, a couch, and a ledge I need propping up too, but no way around the lazers to get the couch there, since you need to activate fluffy to carry the couch and slow to block the lazers and you can only do one at once.
I hope I'm not missing some poorly discribed mechanic or something.

Well back to banging my head against it I guess.
Is this the one where you need to

Throw the couch in fluffy over the lasers and instantly hit slow, then run back and block the thing activating the lasers so the couch can fly safely through?

Early thoughts for me, I'm somewhere in the middle of the second dimension puzzles. Everything is solidly put together, but it just... doesn't... quite click for me. The review about drawing comparisons to Portal is spot on. I feel the formula throughout the game. But this game, from the story, to the environments, to the voice in the sky, just doesn't engross me the way Portal did.

I also get some big stutter on occasion, though usually on non-puzzle parts so it's not a big deal, and the FOV is making me sick, which doesn't usually happen to me. For those who applied a FOV patch, is there a setting that you would recommend to make it a little easier to stomach on a 16:10 screen?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Early thoughts for me, I'm somewhere in the middle of the second dimension puzzles. Everything is solidly put together, but it just... doesn't... quite click for me. The review about drawing comparisons to Portal is spot on. I feel the formula throughout the game. But this game, from the story, to the environments, to the voice in the sky, just doesn't engross me the way Portal did.

I also get some big stutter on occasion, though usually on non-puzzle parts so it's not a big deal, and the FOV is making me sick, which doesn't usually happen to me. For those who applied a FOV patch, is there a setting that you would recommend to make it a little easier to stomach on a 16:10 screen?

Yeah this game is like 50% what portal 1/2 was, but that is still pretty damned good considering how amazing portal 1/2 is.

DO I HAVE TO CHANGE EVERYTHING IN THE CFG FILE?! THE MOUSE ACCEL AND MOTION BLUR ARE ACTUALLY MAKING ME NAUSEOUS.

The game is pretty decent so far, but yeah. These are probably some of the worst offenders in the game. The motion blur and mouse accel are terrible. Who's idea was it to leave those out of the graphics menu?

Top Bottom