• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Just ordered Digital Devil Saga 1/2 and Persona 4 from Amazon. I played the hell out of P4 but never managed to grab copies of the DDS games until now. Eagerly awaiting to play those and do a new playthrough of P4 for old time's sake.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Final boss time in Nocturne. Everything was going smoothly until I got stunned and then muted by RoE followed by a crit on MC. Think I was very close, but got a lot of lucky crits myself. Could use someone with Debilitate in my party but I really don't want to go and backtrack and do those irritating teleport things again.

Finalow

I'm guessing it's

FF4:
Everyone "dies," but come back at the end.

DDS2:
Everyone dies, but come back inside the Sun.
oh, you're right. forgot about that in FF4.
is there an explanation btw (about FF4, not DDS2)? I thought it was just some random bullshit like "sup, I'm immortal" lol

also I finished Nocturne, normal ending. watched true demon ending as well and wondering
are we supposed to think "this stuff is going to finish in a sequel" or something? 'Cause that's what I thought.

Soulhouf

Strange Journey so far: awesome dungeon crawling but ludicrous and annoying cut scenes/discussions of SHUT THE FUCK UP.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Completed Nocturne, got the TDE and watched all other endings on Youtube. Man, for making you do so much work none of the endings are really substantial but I guess that was to be expected considering the rest of the game. Some loose ends, that are probably hints at connections to previous games but I still wish they'd expanded a bit on that.
That being Hijiri
In general while I appreciated the atmosphere, the story still felt a bit too minimalistic to my liking and some voice acting would have been nice. I think I'm gonna write up a comparison of aspects like story, atmosphere and music later on. Dante's inclusion wasn't jarring and felt like it fit.

With this I've now completed all PS2 SMT games, Raidou games aside. Will probably end up importing Strange Journey pretty soon although I kind of dread playing it on my fat DS, so I may hold that off for whenever I will get a 3DS.

I'm thinking of starting Strange Journey. I'd like to learn how to play the game organically and not worry too much, but is there something important I should know before I dive in?

CurbYourEnthusiasm-LarryDavidStare.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Awwwwright, finished Ocarina of Time. Was waffling between playing Devil Summoner 2 and starting this one visual novel I wanted to play, but I decided that I can split shit up - visual novel = my night game, and Devil Summoner 2 = daytime game. So I'll probably start on it tomorrow. Really wish I could take direct feed shots of DS2, but oh well.

If I hate this game as much as the first, Ima be out for blood. And cj_iwakura and Aeana are first on the list.

(j/k, there is no list. But I will be a bit miffed.)

Link1110

I'm playing strange journey, just passed th third sector. I love the strategy in this game. I'm putting more thought into boss strategies than I have since ff5. I didn't like th game much when I first played it, but I'm coming around. The music is still way too over dramatic. If they really wanted to go back to the series roots, they should've gotten Tsukasa Masako back to score this, it feels like a huge callback to If... (all 3d and worlds based on the seven deadly sins) so why not go all the way?

cj_iwakura

Otherworld Dungeon 1: Public Library Part 3 and the First Boss

I fused Yamakiki and it didn't work out. Yamakiki couldn't be in my party at the same time as Yomotsu-Shikome. Both had conflicting alignments. I went back into the Goumaden and I decided to try fusing again. Fortunately, the results were very pleasing. I was able to fuse Yamakiki with a Knocker to get...Jack Frost!!! The mascot of the SMT series himself!

kXxpw.png

XF7nz.png

Jack Frost is of the neutral alignment. So no matter what alignment the demons in my party are...I can use him. With Yomotsu-Shikome and Jack Frost I am a lot better off. Considering both of them are excellent demons at this point of the game. After fusing them two, I go off to the exchange place and exchange some MAG for Yen. With the Yen I just got, I go and buy the best equipment and armor possible at this point of the game. Which is something I highly suggest before the first boss fight. After finishing up in town, I head back to the first dungeon. I go to the elevator on the 4F and I ride it down to B1F. Here, I follow the path to the room where the boss is at. Before I fight the boss though, I would like to show you my stats at this point of everyone I'm using in my party, what the room looks like and where it is on the map.

Protagonist:
o9Pke.png

Level: 17
HP: 126
MP: N/A
STR: 14
INT: 7
MAG: 3
STA: 11
SPD: 6
LCK: 5

Jack Frost:
YlRrf.png

Level: 15
HP: 60
MP: 41
STR: 5
INT: 4
MAG: 7
STA: 5
SPD: 5
LCK: 6

Spells:

Bufu
Maha - Bufu
Dia
Suku - Kaja

Yomotsu - Shikome:
jdnDj.png

Level: 17
HP: 87
MP: 48
STR: 9
INT: 5
MAG: 7
STA: 6
SPD: 4
LCK: 3

Spells:

Bufu
Taru - Nada
??? Anyone know the name of this spell?
Posumdi

Anyways, I forgot to talk about the battle mechanics. So before I get on with the first boss fight, I'm going to sidetrack and talk about that. First off, the battle system is similar to SMT 1/2. You can have up to six party members in battle. Beyond that, you have your fight, talk, escape and auto options. I would like to go over each of these.

Fight: What you would expect. You basically manually put in your commands for everyone except your demons(If their loyalty isn't high enough for you to manually give them commands) and then the battle commences.

Talk: Allows you to negotiate with demons. Possibly giving you the chance to recruit them.

Escape: Allows you to attempt escaping. In this SMT though, the chances of escaping from battle aren't favorable though. You are fortunate if you manage to escape.

Auto: There are two choices with auto. First, preset. Then the second option repeat. Preset is what command you have assigned from the status menu. In the status menu, you can set what you want your party members to do on auto. For example, in that screenshot of my protagonist I had it preset to guard. So he would guard if I went into auto battle and chose preset. You can chance what you want to do if you choose preset in the status menu though. Then there's repeat.

Repeat repeats on auto battle the commands you previously did the last round of combat. Now, onto the unique battle mechanics of SMT: DS. There is now a front and back row now. Characters in the back row cannot use melee attacks against enemies. However, they can use everything else. The same applies to enemies though. Enemies cannot target your characters in the back row with physical attacks. I think party members in the back take less damage from attacks too.

Just two final ones. Loyalty with demons and EXP. First demon loyalty. This is technically more of a general mechanic, but it applies heavily to battles. When you recruit demons, they have a certain level of loyalty to you. If they aren't at the highest loyalty possible, you cannot give them direct commands. You can only choose general tactics for them and they will execute those tactics. For example, you could select for them to use Offense or Defense magic, but cannot choose a specific spell. Even worse, demons may sometimes disobey commands from you and do whatever they want. Either way, loyalty is important. Sadly though, I do not know how to raise a demon's loyalty. If anyone on the Neogaf forums knows...PLEASE TELL!!!

The other mechanic is EXP. Obviously, experience points. What you need to level. One thing to know about SMT: DS is as you gain levels...Enemies give less EXP in a area. So if you're gaining several levels from grinding at a dungeon...You'll notice you start to gain less from winning battles. That's because as you gain levels, the enemies are getting weaker and are scaled to give you less EXP. So just keep that in mind. Anyways though, time for the first boss fight of the game. I go to B1F in the first dungeon. There I follow the path to the door leading to the boss.

YYdGA.png

I enter and it's time for the first boss fight!! The first boss of the game is Fuguruma.

hHaC2.png

BOSS: Fuguruma
Level: 12
HP: 115
MP: 60

The first boss of the game is pretty easy. Not because I'm overleveled, but just because the boss is simple. My first try goes alright except Jack Frost gets absolutely annihilated in one turn by Agi. Seeing as how Jack Frost is weak to fire. Aside from that, the boss does like 13-20 with all of it's attacks. I wasn't too happy about that. So I just restarted the boss fight and took Jack Frost out of my party completely. With Jack Frost removed, it was just the protagonist and Yomotsu - Shikome.

I had the protagonist use physical attacks every single turn. Meanwhile, Yomotsu - Shikome just used random Taru - Nada spells and physical attacks. The boss was doing pretty pathetic damage the whole time. It was only maybe a minute at most before I won the boss fight. After all, the boss only has around 115 HP. With the first boss defeated, I have completed the first dungeon. After completing the first dungeon I needed to figure out where to go next. Going back in the library didn't do anything. The place was back to normal and everything, but nothing of importance happened there. What to do? I began wandering around the world map and going to random places. In doing so, I didn't figure out where to go, but discovered a nice area to level at during this point of the game.

The Sewers. It's near the Yaraiginza Arcade District. Here's where it is at on the world map:

MEr2H.png

You'll need to exit the Yaraiginza Arcade District on a certain side to get over to where the Sewers are. Once you get there, you can level if you want.

Yay1k.png

I would gain two levels there and just proceed on with the game though. Personally, I leveled a little more here, but then I left and continued searching for where I needed to go. Eventually, I randomly tried going back to the fortune teller lady. It turns out that's where I needed to go. She gave me 50,000 Yen for completing my mission I guess. After that, I returned to the Kuzunoha Detective Agency. There I ran into Rei.

nrmbf.png

Rei talked to me for a little while. After the event, she joined my party. Hurray!! Rei joined my party! Finally got the heroine of the game! Was wondering when she would join.

Otherworld Dungeon 2: Yakuza, Magic and Rei

Rei is now in my party. As a permanent party member. Rei is similar to previous SMT heroines. She gets MP and less HP then the protagonist. Unfortunately, Rei has no magic right now. Upon me realizing that, I thought I should go and level before the second dungeon. Since Rei joins at around level 6. I head to the Sewers and level Rei all the way to 14. She's all the way at level 14 and...NO MAGIC LEARNED!!! At this point I'm absolutely confused. Since normally, SMT heroines typically learned spells through leveling. However, that doesn't quite seem to be the case with Rei. My first reaction to her acquiring no magic was that you have to possibly buy spells. So I just head to the Yaraiginza Arcade District.

Here, I search the area for some sort of magic store. It's to no avail though. Nothing is found. After realizing there's no magic store...I come to the conclusion that Rei possibly learns magic through a storyline event. With me arriving at that conclusion, I just decide to continue onto the second dungeon. The second dungeon is a house in this section of the world map.

kYBHA.png

See that house with the trees all around it? That's where you need to go to. If you try to enter there though, you will arrive at the second dungeon. Which is a area you must go through in order to arrive at your destination. Which is the house over there. I enter there, but things of course aren't going to be that simple... Rei stops me and tells me I can't enter here yet and I'm forced to turn back. I try entering through other ways, but it just doesn't work. Every single time Rei tells me I need to go do something and I have to leave.

1x7oi.png

In one of the lines of dialogue though...l noticed the Kanji for mountain. Mountains are called Yama in Japanese. It sort of looks like a w, but the center line in the middle is longer then the left and right lines. Also, it can also be compared to looking like a pitchfork. Either way, I recognize that kanji and an idea instantly comes to mind. Why not check Kasagi Mountain?

0dn3t.png

This might be where I have to go in order to enter the second dungeon. After being forced out of the second dungeon, I go there and check the place out. When I arrive, I realize I can now enter Mt. Kasagi. Previously, the game would not let you enter. However, now I can enter the place.

G776F.png

I enter and proceed forward. When I get to the next area, a cutscene happens. Rei speaks to me and then something crazy happens. She starts meditating in the area and all these lights start flying around. While all this is happening, it seems she's acquiring some sort of new power.

FADGr.png

77qbY.png

YZTtG.png

After the event is over, Rei learns magic!! She learns Bufu, Agi and Mapper. I would also like to note something. While Rei does learn magic this one time through this story event, all other spells she will learn as she gains levels. So don't worry about it anymore.

r8ufw.png

DyxhG.png
- Mapper being used.

With all of these events out of the way it's time to go back and see if anything has changed. I return to the second dungeon after preparing myself. Once I arrive, Rei no longer tells me I need to turn back. So it turns out that going to Mt. Kasagi was the right thing to do at this point of the game. With that out of the way, it's time for the second dungeon of the game!

I'm thinking of starting Strange Journey. I'd like to learn how to play the game organically and not worry too much, but is there something important I should know before I dive in?

The dungeons are an endurance test, so take it slow and steady, and don't be shy about returning to base to save/heal as needed. Otherwise you should be good.

(The boss at the end of Eridanus was a gigantic bitch, though. Status effects galore.)

cj_iwakura

By the by, I believe the third spell

jdnDj.png

is PaToRa.

SMT spells are fun to read.
(Thanks be to my improv spell/hira|katagana guide I used to survive Soul Hackers.)

Sinople

Strange Journey so far: awesome dungeon crawling but ludicrous and annoying cut scenes/discussions of SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Yeah, 3 hours in and that's exactly my feeling. Also, no need to tell me what I know by just looking at the screen.

Other things that are bugging me:
- No full visual of the demons in their status screen.
- Bosses don't appear in the demon analysis when you beat them?
- Random distribution of points at level up. Why is my luck stat the highest although I have a magic build?

cj_iwakura

Yeah, 3 hours in and that's exactly my feeling. Also, no need to tell me what I know by just looking at the screen.

Other things that's bugging me:
- Random distribution of points at level up. Why is my luck stat the highest although I have a magic build?

It's based on the questionnaire at the beginning.

Boy was having an AGI build great.

I was actually able to enjoy the original Devil Summoner quite a bit for the freedom that I was able to put into devil creation. It felt more relaxed and open than SMT III.

depward

Jumping in on the fun with starting Strange Journey tomorrow. Should be fun - don't know why I missed it, really; loved both Digital Devil
Sagas, liked Nocturne, Devil Summoner & Persona 3.

I've actually only ever truly completed both DDS games and no other SMT games. I think I know why, and it's weird, but I don't particularily enjoy demon fusing. It's strange to love SMT games like I do and yet not like the demon fusing aspect... But what I love about the series is the music, the interdisperest story cut scene sequences & graphical style.

Should be fun!

Other things that's bugging me:

Dead man walkin'.

randomkid

I had a luck build in Strange Journey and I did the neutral path too! I had no issues playing the game. Then I got to the last boss...

...luckily, I had planned for this contingency by being miserly all game long and saving a shitload of money. I was Level 73 or something so I bought an Alice and replaced my Rangda with one someone on the internet had made and I was good to go. I guess that's kinda cheating but whatever, the Neutral last boss in Strange Journey is a whole lot of nonsense ha.

Aeana

I had a luck build in Strange Journey and I did the neutral path too! I had no issues playing the game. Then I got to the last boss...

...luckily, I had planned for this contingency by being miserly all game long and saving a shitload of money. I was Level 73 or something so I bought an Alice someone on the internet had made and I was good to go. I guess that's kinda cheating but whatever, the Neutral last boss in Strange Journey is a whole lot of nonsense ha.
It's not cheating. The password system is in the game to be used!

Sinople

It's based on the questionnaire at the beginning.

Boy was having an AGI build great.

It said I'm a Magic type but I'm now level 6 with 11 in luck and 10 in magic :(
I usually never put any point in luck...

Anyway, I hope it's getting a bit more interesting as I can't stop thinking about replaying Nocturne instead of it :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's not cheating. The password system is in the game to be used!

I am actually also playing Strange Journey right now.

I like a lot of things about it. I am looking forward to playing more. When I get further into the game I will express myself better. Right now I'm near the end of the first sector (
in the burning battlefield or whatever dimension
)

But there are a few things I don't like. I don't like Demon Fusion because it seems pretty random--we talked about this before when I expressed the things that I didn't get about the series in general. I don't like the idea of having to open a FAQ or use passwords off the internet or anything like that.

I don't like the idea that I have literally know idea whether or not my party is useful or if I should be fusing them. Is there a disadvantage to letting demon types from earlier dungeons just level up with me versus always getting the newest demons? I feel like that might get into a kind of Secret of Evermore style thing where you're punished for getting newer stuff because it hasn't powered up as much.

I also don't quite have a handle on alignment. I have an alignment. Right now it is neutral, but the way I role play I don't really see any reality where I don't end up as whatever the SMT equivalent of Lawful Good is. One of my Demons has a blue name, which I guess makes him either Lawful or Good or both--but hurts his utility for me since he doesn't take part in the co-op enemy weakness damage exploitation thing. But then again, if I become Lawful or Good or whichever it is, the rest of my Demons will be less useful. Can I change the alignment of the rest of my Demons? I'm not allowed to negotiate with "Dark" demons. Does that mean if I want to play as a "Dark" character, I'm totally boned because I won't be able to recruit anyone who matches my alignment?

When one of my Demons leveled up, I got a Pokemon style "LOL ur dud wants to learn a new move" prompt. The thing I didn't like about it was that in Pokemon, the prompt asks you to pick a move for them to forget, but in SMT they pre-select a move to forget. I have no idea if I want to replace that move with a new move. I don't know what the new move is. So I wonder if that would incentivize me using a FAQ. I think the guy ended up replacing one of his moves with a Curse move, and then Curse with a Fire Damage/Target: All move. I have no idea if those were positive trades.

Conversely, everything that I do understand right off the bat is massively overtutorialized, which makes me think that the stuff I don't understand is deliberate and the game is mostly about poking around in the dark or using a FAQ. Which is unfortunate. Challenging, punishment, resource management-intensive games are fun. Trial and error and experimentation is fun. But the two aren't really fun when you combine them, in my humble opinion :p

Sinople

I also don't quite have a handle on alignment. I have an alignment. Right now it is neutral, but the way I role play I don't really see any reality where I don't end up as whatever the SMT equivalent of Lawful Good is. One of my Demons has a blue name, which I guess makes him either Lawful or Good or both--but hurts his utility for me since he doesn't take part in the co-op enemy weakness damage exploitation thing. But then again, if I become Lawful or Good or whichever it is, the rest of my Demons will be less useful. Can I change the alignment of the rest of my Demons? I'm not allowed to negotiate with "Dark" demons. Does that mean if I want to play as a "Dark" character, I'm totally boned because I won't be able to recruit anyone who matches my alignment?

You'll never become "dark", you're lawful (blue), neutral (white) or chaotic (red). Light and dark have very little meaning except the fact you cannot directly recruit dark demons. You can, however, create dark demons by fusing other demons if you wish. Check the table in the manual to see what combinations of "races" give dark demons (tyrant, drake, spirit, reaper, jaki, etc.) when you're more familiar with each race.
To change the alignment of your demons, you have to fuse them to create new ones who match your desired alignment. Also, it's just easier to regularly fuse new demons instead of levelling old ones.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
You'll never become "dark", you're lawful (blue), neutral (white) or chaotic (red). Light and dark have very little meaning except the fact you cannot directly recruit dark demons. You can, however, create dark demons by fusing other demons if you wish. Check the table in the manual to see what combinations of "races" give dark demons (tyrant, drake, spirit, reaper, jaki, etc.) when you're more familiar with each race.

I... didn't even think to check the manual. It's been so long since I've seen a useful one.

To change the alignment of your demons, you have to fuse them to create new ones who match your desired alignment. Also, it's just easier to regularly fuse new demons instead of levelling old ones.

Thanks for the concise answers.

Soulhouf

I don't like Demon Fusion because it seems pretty random--we talked about this before when I expressed the things that I didn't get about the series in general. I don't like the idea of having to open a FAQ or use passwords off the internet or anything like that.

It's perhaps a personal feeling but I disagree with this.
You don't have to use a FAQ. You can experience various combination with zero drawback. Before you fuse any demons, take a few seconds and register them. That will allow to summon them again in that state whenever you want in exchange of macca.
I never use any FAQ for demon fusion before I tackle optional parts that require certain demons to be competent.

Modern megaten are very user friendly when it comes to fusing demons compared to the old ones.

randomkid

oh man stump I never see you in Megaten threads, this is my favorite franchise, is this the first game you've played in the series?

Here's a little bit of advice, resist the impulse to hoard demon sources, you will end up with so many as the game progresses and they actually become outdated more quickly than you'd expect. You do want to be a little careful with the ones with Resists and Repels and such, but otherwise go hog wild. The main thing is to make sure your team has variety in terms of elemental offense and defense so that your based are covered.

Don't forget to bask in all the Kaneko art and mythology in the compendium!

Aeana

I like a lot of things about it. I am looking forward to playing more. When I get further into the game I will express myself better. Right now I'm near the end of the first sector (
)

But there are a few things I don't like. I don't like Demon Fusion because it seems pretty random--we talked about this before when I expressed the things that I didn't get about the series in general. I don't like the idea of having to open a FAQ or use passwords off the internet or anything like that.

I don't like the idea that I have literally know idea whether or not my party is useful or if I should be fusing them. Is there a disadvantage to letting demon types from earlier dungeons just level up with me versus always getting the newest demons? I feel like that might get into a kind of Secret of Evermore style thing where you're punished for getting newer stuff because it hasn't powered up as much.

When one of my Demons leveled up, I got a Pokemon style "LOL ur dud wants to learn a new move" prompt. The thing I didn't like about it was that in Pokemon, the prompt asks you to pick a move for them to forget, but in SMT they pre-select a move to forget. I have no idea if I want to replace that move with a new move. I don't know what the new move is. So I wonder if that would incentivize me using a FAQ. I think the guy ended up replacing one of his moves with a Curse move, and then Curse with a Fire Damage/Target: All move. I have no idea if those were positive trades.

Conversely, everything that I do understand right off the bat is massively overtutorialized, which makes me think that the stuff I don't understand is deliberate and the game is mostly about poking around in the dark or using a FAQ. Which is unfortunate. Challenging, punishment, resource management-intensive games are fun. Trial and error and experimentation is fun. But the two aren't really fun when you combine them, in my humble opinion :p
In SJ, there's no point in leveling demons. They don't learn anything by leveling, although there are still skill mutations as you mentioned They are incredibly disposable. You use them long enough to get their demon source, and then they're fodder for whatever it is you want to do. As mentioned earlier, you can register your demons in the compendium and resummon them for a cost, so your goal should be to fuse demons that have a useful spread of abilities. That's a bit limited in SJ compared to other games like SMT3, too, though, since ability inheritance is fixed aside from demon sources.

On Sector E in SJ, although I haven't played in a few months.

I too have a luck build, with very poor vitality. As I'm aiming for the neutral path, should I start selectively levelling for vitality, or ignore stat distribution?

Soulhouf

I finished the first area in Strange Journey. That boss was cool and very challenging. If I'm not mistaken, it's a new demon right?
I love the game mechanics, the atmosphere is very 50s SI-FI and the music is strange but I get used to it and I'm liking it.
The only issue with the music is why the fuck it resets each time you engage a battle? Especially when the music becomes more and more awesome. Many times I had to stop walking so that I can listen to the whole track.

Oh, and the dialog is not improving at all. I think I can now drop my expectations regarding the story which sucks, but anyway, aside from these small complains everything else is is very solid.

Link1110

I'm in Delphinus now, and I have a Nozuchi I've been leveling since Bootes, because it has the def up, down and attack up skills along with megaton punch. Otherwise I'm always trying to get stronger ones.

I beat the White Rider, close fight. He had killed all my demOns so I just pressed x to go down fighting, but I won. Got 2 levels from that.

)

You don't have to do this to beat Megaten games. With the exceptions of learning Elemental clan (going up and down ranks within a clan) and the Mitama clan (stat boost), this is mostly for working on "ringers" which in SJ are nearly useless till the end boss of Neutral and secret bosses.

The ONE big rule about Fusion thruout this series has been CYOA. Have backup demons. Have backup healers. Cover every buff you can. Ever resist you can. CYOA, and you will go far, and know exactly how to get over any roadblock.

Save every Source with Repel X on it. Good luck.

On Sector E in SJ, although I haven't played in a few months.

I too have a luck build, with very poor vitality. As I'm aiming for the neutral path, should I start selectively levelling for vitality, or ignore stat distribution?

Same as I was: dead man walkin'.

KqGhA.png

Eridanus is markedly unlike the other sectors we’ve visited: it’s clean, bright, and looks like something created by humans instead of demons. Hmm. Someone on the crew likens it to a landscape you might see in Alice in Wonderland... well, we’re definitely pretty far down the rabbit hole at this point.

eWweH.png
9Sgkd.png

Our buddies at the Joint Project have a plan to (hopefully) destroy the Schwarzwelt: lots of nukes. They promise to wait until we’re out to detonate them, though! They’re so considerate.

Cf9T3.png
dAmnI.png

Level 40 in RPGs is generally when I start feeling pretty tough. Not “I can beat the final boss” tough (usually), but strong enough that I can kick around a good portion of the enemies in the game with little trouble. It’s also when I can get King Frost!

VqdEc.png
1b63K.png

These corridors are twisty and turny and, in some places, sleep- and poison-inducing. It’s not fun to go into battle with half your party asleep. But in contrast to the hedge maze floors, the top floors of Eridanus have a clean, sterile look to them... the floating cubes remind me a little of Nocturne’s Kagutsuchi Tower.

rLjbt.png
Jl5Ms.png

I end up finding the Vanishing Point, but the signal is coming from behind a thick and impenetrable wall. At this point, Arthur calls everyone back to the ship, which we’re not very happy about. The AI explains that we’ve got a radio signal coming over the airwaves... from a large ship docked back in sector Carina. Is it the last of our expedition’s original four ships? Guess I’d better head back there to check it out.

SGxP9.png
M6J5i.png
9unfz.png

Apparently it’s not our ship... it’s owned by someone who calls himself Captain Jack. Heyo, Captain Jack! We introduce ourselves. So does Bugaboo.

liFfT.png
Sdm34.png

Jack cares less about saving the world and more about making a ton of money by exploiting the Schwarzwelt’s resources. But, if we can stay out of each other’s way, we might be able to help each other. I get to start by finding him three neat-sounding items.

Hl9Hi.png
PtM7L.png
nJblx.png

Here it is... teleporter central! I was dreading this section, but it actually wasn’t too bad. I went in circles a few times, sure, but eventually I was able to brute-force my way through without having to consult a map.

v48o4.png

The pitfall section was a little less fun. I’m not sure why falling through the floor pisses me off more than being warped to a random location, but there it is. Really, nothing you deal with, in isolation, is overly challenging, but the sector as a whole is a long, labyrinthine slog. Thankfully, heal and save points are within reasonable reach at all times. And once you’re done, well, a completed dungeon map is a beautiful thing.

ze5zo.png

Now that I’ve found all the stuff Cap’n Jack asked for, he agrees to help me access the Vanishing Point. I can now detect and open even more doors than before.

ubWtt.png
7MUrM.png

An ominous voice comes over my radio and takes a dim view of my escape plans... it also says something about “Mother” awakening. Can’t wait to find out what that’s all about!

H9xfl.png
Cb72i.png

Guarding the Vanishing Point is... Ouroboros! Pretty cool looking, actually. She gives me a mercifully short speech (much shorter than any other boss) about the futility of humans fighting against her infinite power, then attacks. She’s weak to fire and regenerates about 160 HP per turn, but goes down pretty easily... it’s not quite time to celebrate, though.

uAYhe.png

True to Gore’s word, she resurrects, and all I can do is run. But all is not lost! Apparently Ouroboros is being powered by several energy points scattered around the map. If I take ‘em out, I can take her out. I do a quick jaunt around the area and come back for boss fight Mk II.

zSich.png
WpPc9.png

She’s still weak to fire and no longer regenerates HP, but she’s got several nasty attacks to compensate. One does a hefty amount of physical damage to the whole party *and* inflicts random status effects... OK if it’s Poison or Strain, very bad if it’s Stone or Bomb. You can debuff to lessen the damage, but the status effects are going to be a pain no matter what. In addition, she can throw electricity at you, attempt to insta-kill the whole group with Mahama, and do a lovely attack called Wave of Death that seems to inflict anywhere from 50 to 400 points of unblockable(?) damage.

With O finally gone (took me quite a few tries!), the Vanishing Point is unobstructed. We quickly board the ship and prepare to set off... but we don’t get far before we discover something hostile’s on our tail. Evasive maneuvers are no use, the ship quickly loses control, and suddenly everyone begins to have a curious vision...

vnaX9.png
ZivOU.png
uKBoV.png

These three again. Exotic Matter, huh? And an awfully interesting description of Arthur, who coincidentally is offline once the vision fades.

OK, collect the Exotic Matter and defeat the bad guy, and I should be able to get out of here. Simple as that, right? Well, I guess we’ll see. Tune in next time for adventures in sector F...

MechaX

I like the SJ discussion right now. Although, I always feel a sense of sympathy for the Luck Build. Yeah, the MC ends up being fairly useless later in the game regardless (or unless you have some really overpowered equipment), but a Luck Build is the game essentially setting you up for failure.

Okay, with that said, more Persona 2. I have the shots for the next three dungeons up, but I think this first one takes the longest. So I'll just post the other-two tomorrow (especially since it ends at a pretty important route split).

YF5s9.png
mCyhV.png
sgmGm.png

After the rumor of there being multiple Jokers spread like wildfire, Maya is essentially right back to square one. Regardless, she decides to ditch work and meet up with Baofu. But it seems like Tatsuzou Sudou is quite a couple steps ahead of us and decided to cover up evidence that might have been left in the sanitarium. But first, Maya asks why Baofu always seems to pick on Katsuya...

oOi40.png
cEgir.png

I always thought it was "wussy" instead of "wussie." Regardless, Maya goes to see Katsuya.

mE0Ji.png
bUh1E.png

Baofu and Maya may essentially be vigilantes at this point, but given the circumstances, Katsuya reluctantly decides to help. Maya also gets a call on her cell phone...

lLHs7.png
li6Zp.png
i5WmY.png

Someone Ulala didn't get along with... Well, she just met Baofu, so that can't be it. Maya decides to ponder this, as she is really coming up with a blank.

7B1TJ.png

Maya then suddenly gets a strange flashback. Maya, Yuki, and three people she does not really recognize are confronting an unknown man who is about to use a persona.

6njva.png
FxoTP.png
5jYa4.png

But then Ulala busts in, summons a persona of her own, and chases the guy out of the room.

p5EMo.png
1xT12.png
UHoo0.png

This is definitely strange, but it's not like we have any other leads at this point.

S0JmH.png
3WaBd.png

You can spread a rumor to open up the Man-Searcher side quests. You basically just go find NPCs scattered throughout random parts of the city and get Yen for it. I don't think you get too many great rewards from this, but I could be remembering this wrong.

q3omr.png
o2NE9.png
ThsZL.png

I know Ulala may not be the sharpest tool in the shed sometimes, but all over this guy?

JsbHo.png
jpguL.png

Katsuya comes in with the date-ruiner...

GmF7Y.png
z2vRC.png
3dNjy.png

And Baofu comes in with the assist for an older-than-dirt police trick. Naturally, our con-artist buys right into this.

ujf3C.png
BGmMS.png

Makimura tells us that Ulala mostly spends her time at GOLD Fitness Gym to practice her boxing among other things. Since we have no leads, that's where we're heading next.

4ByBS.png
mJeaF.png
tO0Jk.png

The party decides to head in, most definitely expecting the worst.

nct6C.png

Interestingly, Ulala is on the first floor of this dungeon. In fact, she's about 5 seconds away from where you start out. But since RPGs are never that easy, you have to hunt down an employee with the key needed to get in. The dungeon only has three floors and has weaker demons, so it's not that bad. But it's a bit of a goose-chase.

4bV3g.png
SurOE.png
rJInQ.png

Part of that search involves Katsuya rough-housing a panty-thief. For Katsuya, the job of a policeman is never ending, no matter how many demons bar his path. But we eventually get the key we need and go back to the first floor to check on Ulala...

crxvt.png
wrhwr.png
ovKLM.png

As the employee noted, Ulala seems to be writhing in pain. Maya immediately rushes over to assist her friend...

9eLea.png
QycEz.png
L3eQs.png

... and takes a gut-punch that gives Maya a 50% HP penalty at the start of the boss battle.

6cBfx.png
Y2QOX.png

The Joker persona is noticeably bigger than when Tatsuya Sudou was using it. For some reason, out of all of Baofu's lines, this one has stuck out the most for me since I've played it.

EqYZt.png

Joker Ulala is not too bad. Still does the Old Maid nonsense, but she's pretty weak to Earth spells and she doesn't have back up.

LAjhM.png
VqImH.png
Xlsc3.png

Well.. I guess Ulala's jealousy makes sense. The game manual notes that Ulala doesn't actually have a job, but that she makes clothes and lingerie and sells those off. Maya at least has a good job and, at least in Ulala's view, is a pretty good catch for men. And who knows how much money Ulala was swindled out of by Makimura. Oh wait, he's still here with us.

KUPAM.png
J3NOv.png
ZL3Ko.png

If you pick this option, you can get a ridiculously powerful persona for Maya immediately after these events. So being a good friend definitely has its perks. But Baofu's patience is up with Makimura and he slugs him. Katsuya also doesn't do anything about this despite Makimura complaining that Katsuya is supposed to do something about assault and batteries right in his vicinity. Clearly, no fucks are left to be given from Katsuya.

7Oc9c.png
RiV0Y.png

I imagine Igor would know a thing or two about things like this. So off to the Velvet Room we go.

yyLsz.png
wBo1R.png
IWzC1.png

At least we have Ulala as a full-time party member again. She also does not leave the party for any point in time for the rest of the game.

I6G0W.png
TtH2X.png
18BXr.png

Out of the blue, Anna decides to give Maya a pretty convenient and helpful tip on the Joker case. The one who gave Anna Maya's number was none other than Yuki, by the way. But first...

knhXo.png
UU9hw.png
uahK0.png

Because of Maya showing a strong bond with Ulala, her starting persona, Maia, can undergo a mutation modification. Basically, if you use fusion spells, there is a chance that your persona will undergo a mutation. Mutation can entail stat bonuses, having the persona jump ahead multiple ranks (in which there are eight ranks for all personae, and every other rank gives you a new spell), or it can potentially change into an entirely different persona. Maia Custom is pretty obscenely powerful and can last Maya for quite a few dungeons. The Innocent Sin cast members mostly had Custom default personae of their own and are tied to making certain decisions (Fuu's playthrough of Innocent Sin shows the example for Eikichi). But enough of that, Club Zodiac is our next target.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Huh. That's weird. I started Devil Summoner 2 and played through the tutorial bit. I... I don't hate it.

Combat feels a lot smoother, and it seems like it's a lot flashier, too... which doesn't hurt. Didn't play past that because... well, I'm tired as hell. But I'm actually looking forward to playing more of this now.

Esura

Banned
Right now I'm currently playing Persona 4 (trying to finish it before Persona 4 Arena releases) and I'm trying to follow this FAQ but it seems a bit strict on deadlines and stuff. Like right now I'm on April 18th in Yukiko's Castle trying to level up to 15 like the guide said for some weird reason. Currently at level 12 with MC (Esura Aira, or Aira Esura in Japanese format).

Should I just drop the guide and freeball it, maybe just looking at it for a boss tip or two? Feel like I'm going to mess up something if I do what I want to do.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't recommend playing Persona 3 or 4 with a guide the first time. Sure you're not going to get all social links, but in the end that doesn't really matter and you can check each of them on Youtube afterwards if you're inclined to do so. Playing these games with a guide kind of ruins the feel of the game. Not knowing what's gonna happen each day of the game and trying to balance your "social life" was key to a lot of the fun for me. The first 80% of the game there's really nothing you can "mess up".

Psxphile

P2:EP shots are really convincing me to give the game another playthrough, despite wanting to wait for the PSP version's localization. As fun as P2:IS was, Eternal Punishment always felt like the superior version. It's clear that the developers took everything they learned from making Innocent Sin and applied it to EP to make it better.

Also liked the small differences between versions that ran along the child/adult theme present in both. The duality of youth vs. maturity was present in many ways, though perhaps not always recognized:

zbwLk.png

Left Maya represents the spritework on Innocent Sin, and the right Eternal Punishment. EP's seems somewhat grittier, especially around the face.

Top Bottom