• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL Circle Pad Pro coming this year

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://andriasang.com/con1pd/3ds_circle_pad_expansion/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

3DS XL does not have a second Circle Pad. Not yet, at least.

Nintendo will be offering a 3DS XL version of the Circle Pad Pro some time this year. The company revealed plans for the accessory in a Q&A about the 3DS XL that appeared in Famitsu this week (you can view a sample page from the Q&A at Famitsu.com).

Outside of the year 2012 release time frame, the Q&A does not share further specifics on the device.

Famitsu's Q&A also mentions two additional points about the 3DS XL. You'll be able to transfer your data and download software from the 3DS to 3DS XL, just as you can transfer from the 3DS to another 3DS right now. The 3DS XL will also work just fine with the stand that shipped with Kid Icarus Uprising.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thread title needed SHOCKING or BREAKING.

Funny that people were considering the XL the inferior model because of it's incompatibility with the Circle Pad Pro and didn't expect a XL version.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Well that's good... I guess my hands are big enough...

It's a bit weird to make an XL device ever bulkier though.

BigDug13

It's still going to see as much support as that 1:1 motion attachment on the Wii.

Control accessories that have to be purchased separately never get the same support.

That'll be Capcom happy then.

I can't understand why they didn't just build a second stick into the XL.

For some games it'd go underused and be pointless (theres not exactly many games where its 100% neccessary) and just sit there.
For others it'd be overused, developers marketing straight at the new XL crowd. Basically it'll become a new console, with cheap shitty ported controls to the non-XL customers.

This way it becomes niche enough to please those who really want it, whilst not fragmenting the system.

Symphonic

Wonder if it'll be more like a clip on type thing as opposed to a dock. There's enough space on the right side of the system, could be cool.

Salsa

yeah it's totally unexplainable, there's absolutely no reasonable explanation like cost, the fact that it makes older models obsolete, recognizes the first design as a bad decision so soon after release, or misses the point of games I would expect from a device like the 3DS not needing a second analog stick at all! nope

snesfreak

Banned
Expected.
And as has been pointed out over and over again, adding the extra stick/buttons to the XL would fracture the market.
Everyone that keeps complaining about it knows that.

BigDug13

Because they don't want to encourage companies to release games that require that level of control as it will alienate all 3DS customers? You don't want to force 17 million people to buy a new accessory to play the newer games.

Would it be nice? Sure. But I can totally see why they didn't do it from a business perspective.

Eusis

It will as the CPP XL will communicate via IR just like it's little brother.
I do think there's the possibilty they changed something like the charger prongs to allow feeding electricity to an external device, or so I'm hoping. If it really is just a larger version with all the same flaws then it's maddening.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Why the fuck did they not just buid the damn thing in.

I would have bought an XL for that alone. No way I am getting an XL then attaching some bulky POS to it.

Damn it Nintendo.

jokkir

So will it be large as a TV afterwards?

I would have bought an XL for that alone. No way I am getting an XL then attaching some bulky POS to it.

Damn it Nintendo.

Guessing not to alienate already existing 3DS owners. I can see a bunch of people getting pissed if they added it on the XL

Symphonic

Damn it Nintendo.

Hold on, I have this crazy idea and you might not want to go for, it's so crazy, but here we go:

Buy an XL and not a CCP.

Salsa

I really just dont get it.

Do people wanna play third person shooters on a 3DS or something?

Jeff said it best at the latest bombcast in what ive been trying to say since the release of the CPP: I dont expect any 3DS game to be a game that takes advantage of something like a second analogue stick when compared to the things that ONLY the 3DS can do. If it was then im really not interested in that kind of handheld.

Every single game that could come out using a second analogue stick (including Resident Evil Revelations) would get out cries of "LOL they should have put it on Vita!" to wich anyone else can respond "they should have put it on consoles", and they would both be right.

If I want super precise camera controls and aiming i'll play my PC. I expect the 3DS games to be cool, handheld-intended games that focus on the stuff the device can do as opposed to home consoles.

jjasper

Should have been standard but at least they will have the option.

Because they don't want to encourage companies to release games that require that level of control as it will alienate all 3DS customers? You don't want to force 17 million people to buy a new accessory to play the newer games.

Nintendo has never had a problem doing that in the past.

I really just dont get it.

Do people wanna play third person shooters on a 3DS or something?

Jeff said it best at the latest bombcast in what ive been trying to say since the release of the CPP: I dont expect any 3DS game to be a game that takes advantage of something like a second analogue stick when compared to the things that ONLY the 3DS can do. If it was then im really not interested in that kind of handheld.

Every single game that could come out using a second analogue stick (including Resident Evil Revelations) would get out cries of "LOL they should have put it on Vita!" to wich anyone else can respond "they should have put it on consoles"

If I want super precise camera controls and aiming i'll play my PC. I expect the 3DS games to be cool, handheld-intended games that focus on the stuff the device can do as opposed to home consoles.

kingdom hearts?

branny

An extra analog stick is going to shoehorn every 3DS developer into making console-style games? And what about the games that already exist that benefit from the CPP?

Top Bottom