• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Q: 18 years in the making, made for the future of two gaming ecosystems

GAF machine

Timeline of Events

2005 – A patent application is filed for a DualShock 3 that docks with PSP. The thinking behind this DS3 was that PS1 and PS2 games would be “ported for execution on the portable gaming platform”. So naturally it would be best if “the user can utilize substantially, if not identically, the same control sequence as used with the console system.” The DS3 dock never came, but the idea of a fully DualShocked handheld persisted.

2006 – Ken Kutaragi files two patent applications. One for a screened game controller, the other for using the controller as a motion-sensing universal remote. This controller is his PSP successor. But unlike the PSP, he didn’t intend for it to have its own games. Gaming on the device was limited to Remote Play, accessing games on a server and playing “mini-games” (e.g., PS Minis and PS Mobile type games) from internal storage. As for the look, he chose a generic screened rectangular slab with enough buttons to get his point across. Not any known design, rather a clean slate to possibly shape a DualShock 3 around. His controller was later abandoned for its derivative, the PS Vita and alternative, the Xperia Play.

2014 Gaikai’s David Perry is asked the Q: Do you ever wish the Vita had some extra shoulder buttons to match the DualShock?
His A: Yeah, that’s what we need. I agree. It’s funny because you know I hope we get involved in more and more conversations as we become integrated into more things at Sony. These are the kind of conversations I really want to have.

2016 – Kutaragi’s controller application gets updated from ‘abandoned’ status to ‘active’ status. The change in status comes when PS Vita is shaky and on the ropes. By this time, Gaikai is two years deeper into its integration with SIE and DualSense is in development. The climate is ripe for conversations about the need to stream games to a screened DualSense.

May 18, 2019 – A patent application is filed for a ‘Network Connected Controller for Direct to Cloud Gaming’. David Perry is listed as one of its co-inventors, despite leaving SIE in 2017. Sections of the application say that the controller is DualShock-like and connects directly to cloud-gaming servers over Wi-Fi. This application is published two days after Kutaragi’s newly active application is ‘granted’ (i.e., protected against infringement). Project Q’taragi is underway.

May 21, 2019 – Jim Ryan tells investors/analysts that SIE plans to “maximize off-console opportunity” with PS Now. Maximizing PS Now/+Premium’s off-console reach will require streaming to any number of non-Sony and Sony branded devices, Project Q included. There’s no way around it.

2021 – A patent application is filed for a motion-sensing ‘Universal Remote’ feature that builds on Kutaragi’s motion-sensing universal remote feature. One of the co-inventors cited is Rui Yang. Her Linkedin says she was a Sr. System Test Engineer for Qualcomm before eventually moving to Intel where she delivered a Bluetooth solution for Windows and Android platforms. Most interesting though, her application says game consoles are “entertainment systems” and frames the “entertainment system controller” as a “mobile device” that “may run using a variety of different operating systems (e.g., iOS, Android)”. It goes on to say the mobile device “may execute instructions to operate as the universal remote control”. No doubt, Project Q is the target “mobile device” for this feature. Also, the notion that Project Q is a mobile device means it's a target for mobile games that come out of SIE’s mobile strategy.

2023 – Video surfaces of Android running on Project Q. A mobile OS running on a future PS handheld was inevitable. A few years earlier Andrew House recounted a conversation he had with Kutaragi prior to PSP. House’s takeaway: “Ken Kutaragi was notably reluctant about getting into the portable- gaming market. I think there was a lot of arm-twisting that took place from folks like myself from the marketing and sales side of the organization, and one of the reasons I think was that he had genuinely foreseen the rise of smartphones before anyone had heard about the iPhone. I remember him talking about there was going to be a convergence between all forms of media and entertainment into a single communications device. With that in mind, I think he was therefore skeptical about a dedicated handheld market. But that didn’t stop us from having some really good success with PSP at the time, especially in the Japanese market.” In a different conversation about rivals, Kutaragi gave a window into his thinking: “it’s going to be about time consumption and what is closet to human life. It’s not the smartphone itself, it’s communication.” Coincidentally, AT&T says: “Leave your phone. Bring your number.” SIE and AT&T partnered in the past for PS Vita 3G, so it's possible they may have a partnership for Project Q; but this time to certify Project Q as a NumberSync for Android-compatible tablet. Project Q hints at being a near perfect PS-centric convergence of communication, media and entertainment. More telephony than PS Vita; more screened DualShock than Xperia Play. And given Kutaragi's prediction and efforts by many others over nearly two decades to create a fully Dualshocked handheld, it's a device that's been a long time coming.

Beyond 2023

PS Now’s gen one update cycle ends in 2024 (year extrapolated from PS Now’s launch in 2014, David Perry’s view that PS4/Vita Remote Play is “first generation stuff” and Gaikai looking to “offer new ways of sharing” via Remote Play over “the next ten years”).

Gen two update cycle begins in 2025 and ends in 2035. Jim Ryan believes this time period is when “cloud technology will become a meaningful component of how gamers access games”. Project Q is a component of the cloud component. Remote Play is nice and all, but SIE didn’t buy Gaikai for them to push Remote Play further than cloud-gaming.

Having said that, Remote Play based features like PS5 Share Play with Share Screen will take on greater importance as Project Q mobilizes the Share Play/Share Screen experience. Later in the gen two update cycle, bifurcated sharing/passing control for local play and the cloud will show up. As will a pass-through device for cloud gaming that's compatible with Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Google Chromecast, Roku, etc.

This PS pass-through streamer is set to compete against MS’s Keystone; but if bundled with Project Q, the tandem could be sold as a hybrid microconsole of sorts set to compete against Series X/S and Switch 2 on price.

SIE appears to want two tightly bound console ecosystems. One ecosystem heavily biased towards traditional gaming on a console, with the other completely biased towards cloud/mobile gaming on a hybrid microconsole. And they want Project Q to be the glue that binds them together across PSN and social platforms. Slowly but surely, it's all coming together. When it does, SIE will find itself in an extremely enviable position.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dog Reaction GIF

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I really really hope Sony has some more depth to the Q then just a portable ps5 home streaming device as everyone seems to be mentioning.

Is it possible the device is a Sony designed android tablet that can detach from the controller for standard use / slide into the controller for gaming? Allowing you to upgrade the tablet year after year for spec upgrades? They keep mentioning price points compared to switch and s/x but as a limited device for gaming only no way I see people paying 300 for such a device.

Eagerly awaiting more news on this. Maybe it will work with local ps5 and launch with a full GeForce now kinda cloud component for all PlayStation games going forward??

Ps that screen better be good damn good!

Wish people would stop shitting on cloud so much. It’s a super exciting development but it’s going to take some time to get there.

Last edited:

acm2000

i mean there is a big difference between "a hot take" and a "steaming hot take".....

i will let everyone else decide which this is.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Well I'll be buying one if the price is reasonable. The TV is used a lot by the missus or kids, or I'm watching TV and kids want to go on PS5 so end up fighting each other cos that's what kids do. It will get loads of use, and I know I'm not the only one in this situation.

I'm guessing many who turn their nose up at it are single or have a separate games room?

Sleepwalker

Well I'll be buying one if the price is reasonable. The TV is used a lot by the missus or kids, or I'm watching TV and kids want to go on PS5 so end up fighting each other cos that's what kids do. It will get loads of use, and I know I'm not the only one in this situation.

I'm guessing many who turn their nose up at it are single or have a separate games room?
Not really but we have more than 1 tv so it's never really a problem. No kids tho, and no intention of having them for now so it's just the wife and I.

I do like a handheld, just not cloud only.

midnightAI

Not really but we have more than 1 tv so it's never really a problem. No kids tho, and no intention of having them for now so it's just the wife and I.

I do like a handheld, just not cloud only.
If it's direct connection to PS5 then it won't be using cloud will it?

midnightAI

Rather, stream only is what I meant. My bad.

Funnily enough this really should have a cloud option.
Oh, I'm sure it definitely will, but I think primary use will be local second screen (in the same building)

I wonder if two 1080p signals can be sent out at the same time and then you could use two devices for multiplayer (that would have to be made specifically for these devices though of course)

Lunarorbit

What are these responses? Project Q is happening and even though it's a half step towards true mobility for ps5 it's small progress.

Nowhere in the ops write up do they say it's gonna compete directly with switch or steam.

I get it. It's like ps TV which very few people bought. I have it and it was another half measure but I still liked it. It's either Q or a backbone for now. I don't get the negativity in this thread.

El Muerto

I'm sure Sony envisioned creating an android tablet with a controller permanently attached for 18 years. Q is a last minute, half-baked idea. Unless they're going to do something radically different like allowing to play our PSP and Vita games on it, then the handheld is not going to be something special. Plenty of devices and addons that allow us to do PS remote play.

midnightAI

What are these responses? Project Q is happening and even though it's a half step towards true mobility for ps5 it's small progress.

Nowhere in the ops write up do they say it's gonna compete directly with switch or steam.

I get it. It's like ps TV which very few people bought. I have it and it was another half measure but I still liked it. It's either Q or a backbone for now. I don't get the negativity in this thread.
Me neither, but guess:
I don't want thing so thing is bad.

However, I think many may just be disagreeing with the OP rather than the idea of Project Q
(The OP does read like a certain banned user who used to plug the Apple AR headset while simultaneously slaying all other VR headsets especially PSVR 2). Some are straight up trolling though.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm curious why people think Sony wouldn't just announce the thing as a cloud device, and instead say it's for remote play?

jm89

I'm curious why people think Sony wouldn't just announce the thing as a cloud device, and instead say it's for remote play?
Possibly cloud intregration into the q still being a work in progress. I've seen others say "remote play" could mean both, both streaming directly from ps5 and streaming from a cloud service could be considered remote play, but that might be a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's what I'm expecting. It's running Android after all, isn't it? Also should have Wi-Fi for the Wi-Fi 6 connectivity with the PS5.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I would be all over Q as a companion piece if it weren't so ugly and whose sole purpose is remote play. Im not busting out that hideous device in public, I would feel embarrassed.

However, I'm much more interested in Playstation earbuds that was presented alongside the Q. Those looked generally great and would be a perfect fit for PS5 and for casual use, listening to music. I have a pair of ROG Cetra right now, which are very good and nice looking, but they suffer from a little bit of latency, so I hope Sony can come up with something better.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

That's what I'm expecting. It's running Android after all, isn't it? Also should have Wi-Fi for the Wi-Fi 6 connectivity with the PS5.
I am not convinced Sony wants people to be able to play PS5 games w/o a PS5 is all.

We'll see, they are sometimes just coy about stuff.

IntentionalPun

Possibly cloud intregration into the q still being a work in progress. I've seen others say "remote play" could mean both, both streaming directly from ps5 and streaming from a cloud service could be considered remote play, but that might be a bit of a stretch.

They are fairly explicit in their little blurb on the site:
Project Q
Project Q is a dedicated Remote Play device that lets you stream compatible games installed on your PS5 console over Wi-Fi*. It features a beautiful 8-inch HD screen and all the buttons and features of the DualSense® wireless controller.

We all know what Remote Play means, but "compatible games installed on your PS5 console over Wi-Fi" makes it pretty clear they aren't stretching it to mean "Cloud Streaming" lol

Could that change? Sure. But just because the device "can" do something doesn't mean Sony wants it to do that. There is nothing stopping them from letting you use PS4 controllers to play PS5 games either lol

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I mean, we all really mostly use handhelds in home... so why not play high quality 1080p60 version of a game on that handeld (directly from ps5 that is).
That said, this is still a handheld and even I would like an option to take it out of home.

And it's just an android without even an oled screen :(
I might get it because why not but seeing that I have all my games on discs, whats the fucking point

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Seems alot of people just not tolerant of anything outside traditional gaming experiences. We’re entering a hybrid period for gamers the initial stages of a cloud gaming environment and the ending of traditional consoles. All these companies are going to be offering both a cloud and local component going forward.

People just want better than a $300 streaming only device. The design of the thing really does look like they just slapped a dualsense on the ends of the thing.

Why not a Vita 2 that not only streams but is also a powerful kickass handheld that plays ps5 games?

Top Bottom