• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

cj_iwakura

Just hit the post-nuke section of SMT1, and am officially full chaos.
(I told Thor to take Mjolnir and shove it.)

Angel won't come back to me. :( This should be a unique challenge.

Levyne

Banned
I don't often post in these types of threads but might as well pop in to say I've finally beaten Persona 4, with 3 being the only other SMT game I've played.

I do see though that there are plenty of DS and PS2 offerings. My brother ordered a few and we will slowly make our way through them. Now just to pick who plays what.

Esura

Banned
I wouldn't recommend playing Persona 3 or 4 with a guide the first time. Sure you're not going to get all social links, but in the end that doesn't really matter and you can check each of them on Youtube afterwards if you're inclined to do so. Playing these games with a guide kind of ruins the feel of the game. Not knowing what's gonna happen each day of the game and trying to balance your "social life" was key to a lot of the fun for me. The first 80% of the game there's really nothing you can "mess up".
Oh, I'll try free balling it then.

I will say this though: If they're in dungeons with you, find their Slinks.

I figured I'd alternate between characters depending on the dungeon challenges so that seems kind of tough. I know I want to at least max chie's link.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Devil Summoner 2 started off real slow... but after like maybe an hour and a half, it's starting to pick up. Fused some demons and was like "AWWW YEEEAAAHHH"... which I guess is an expected response, considering I haven't really invested myself in an SMT since Persona 4. Well, I did play a few hours of Innocent Sin, but not enough that it counts.

One concern I had, that I seem to recall being annoyed with in the first game, is whether or not there are dungeons, or if you just go through "dark" versions of each town. I want me some dungeons. But I'm in a dungeon right now, so it's like YO.

Combat system is starting to make more sense. Could be some kewl shit. But yeah, it really does feel much better to play than the first game.

The story so far:

Fuckin' I said wassup to Narukondi at the detective agency, and some fly ass honey barged in after my talking cat fuckin' knocked buttered toast on his pants. So, pretty sweet.

Although most likely fan made these are really really nice and almost fooled me

Persona 5 trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSt6bKFc2KA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Persona 5-fight theme [battle theme]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQm0ROuOSSw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Persona 5-Soul check [boss bgm]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udh2ZWgvdZ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Persona 5-distorted mall[dungeon bgm]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_aCGu_YDs0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Persona 5-What should I get?[shop bgm]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wwHonKRfCk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Persona 5-Narumi detective agency

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX7BnBHS9_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Would love to see atlus take persona back in a darker direction and I really love the puppetry/mirror thing they have going on could really see atlus doing that too.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Would love a darker Persona title. 3 was edging that way but I'd love it if they delved into the mysticism behind the personas a bit more whereas on the other hand I'd like the villains to be more present and human.

*goes to order Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for the PS1*

$164.99 new, $45.00 used.

edward_norton_computer.gif

jorgeton

Thanks to this thread I've been playing a lot of Devil Survivor 2, but am now stuck on a boss in the 7th day
Yamato, after I teamed up with Al to create a new world
. Seriously amazing game though. It took a while to get its hooks in me, but when it finally did I could not put it down. Planning to get a 3DS XL, and DS: Overclocked is at the top of my list.

Also thanks to this thread, I also dived back into Strange Journey. I was stuck at one of the last bosses on the neutral path
Jimenez
, but a couple of days ago was finally able to whup their ass. They went down surprisingly fast too. But, man, that last stretch of dungeon before the last boss is fucking brutal.
invisible walls, teleporters, switches with no explanation, etc.
Finally up to the last boss and I get wiped out in the first turn :(

But playing SJ again really reminded me what an excellent game it is. I love the whole metroidvania aspect to it, it's a pretty brilliant addition to the usual dungeon crawler. If Megaten 4 is as imaginative as SJ was in terms of dungeon design, gameplay mechanics, and art direction, we are in for a goddamn treat.

Danny Dudekisser

Oh and is persona 2 playable to people who played persona 3 first? Someone told me I probably wouldn't like it.

The reason I generally don't recommend Persona 2 to people who aren't pretty into SMT is because it's very old-school. Lots of random encounters, unforgiving battles, and the game really doesn't hold your hand at all. It's absolutely a dungeon crawler, far more so than Persona 3.

*goes to order Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for the PS1*

$164.99 new, $45.00 used.

edward_norton_computer.gif

At this point, why wouldn't you just wait for the PSP version to come stateside. We basically know it's gonna happen, and it's improved over the PS1 version.

At this point, why wouldn't you just wait for the PSP version to come stateside. We basically know it's gonna happen, and it's improved over the PS1 version.

I am definitely waiting for this.

I was fortunate enough to pick up the PS1 original some years ago when they reprinted it, so I could play it, but now I'd rather play the PSP version.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

And will likely have the effect of dropping the price of a used ps1 copy by $10-$15 anyways.

Danny Dudekisser

And will likely have the effect of dropping the price of a used ps1 copy by $10-$15 anyways.

Maaaan, but when the PSP version's out, who would even care about the PS1 version anymore? That voice acting is stank.

And not the good kind, like Symphony of the Night.

Nah, that voice acting would give up neck in a Burger King parking lot for like $4.23.

Plus, they really improved that interface for the combat system.

Danny Dudekisser

Can anyone recommend a Megami Tensei game for beginners? I've tried Lucifer's Call, but the mechanics seemed so random and arcane that I gave in.

Persona 4. The difficulty isn't as high as something like Lucifer's Call, and it's a not as hardcore of a dungeon crawler. Much easier to come to grips with.

Alternatively... maybe Digital Devil Saga. I thought it was a tough game at first (it was my first SMT game), but it's a lot more in line with Nocturne as far as being a hardcore dungeon crawl goes.

jorgeton

I really hope they bring it over. The way Sony's been handling Atlus' recent PSP output gives me pause though, ie. the games don't work on the Vita. But it's Persona.. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Can anyone recommend a Megami Tensei game for beginners? I've tried Lucifer's Call, but the mechanics seemed so random and arcane that I gave in.

You should stick with that game, the mechanics aren't random at all (well, except for the demon fusion..). Hitting an enemy with an element they are weak against (fire, ice, etc) nets you an extra turn, and if they hit you with your weakness, they get an extra turn. It becomes a balancing act of gaining extra turns and assembling a party of demons that are protected against different elements. But yeah, it's a tough game.

Digital Devil Saga or Persona 3 are easier to get into.

Danny Dudekisser

I really hope they bring it over. The way Sony's been handling Atlus' recent PSP output gives me pause though, ie. the games don't work on the Vita. But it's Persona.. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh, that's right. I'm still a UMD guy, cuz I read up about how Sony compressed games when they put 'em on PSN, and in some games, that resulted in glitches or worse audio or shit like that.

Didn't really wanna put up with Sony's bullshit, so I just bought the real deal physical versions.

jorgeton

Oh, that's right. I'm still a UMD guy, cuz I read up about how Sony compressed games when they put 'em on PSN, and in some games, that resulted in glitches or worse audio or shit like that.

Didn't really wanna put up with Sony's bullshit, so I just bought the real deal physical versions.

I buy the physical versions as well since Atlus usually has excellent packaging and bonuses, but I'm wondering if it's feasible to bring the game over to a dead system, when it's successor that was touted as being backwards compatible, really isn't. But who knows, maybe there are enough Persona fans around to warrant a release.

depward

Where I'm at / what I'm up to. I always do this: I'm deep in a game and for whatever reason I get another. Then I split my time with both.

Persona 3 Portable

I've been playing this on and off (mostly off :() since the digital copy was available on the NA PSN Store. I'm weird with RPGs - I have a really hard time getting past 30ish hours.

This thread made me pick it up. Glad I did, because I'm back to playing it a lot.

My current status:

Just smashed the Hermit boss fight, which was actually really easy. The storyline with Chidori is interesting: can't wait for it to flesh out. Junpei like, being in love with her is really, really strange.

Strange Journey

Like I mentioned previously, I just picked this up. No idea why it took me so long, quite frankly.

My current status (1 hour in):

Obviously not very far. But so far I'm kind of weirded out by the sci-fi slant on the game and the music I think I like so far? It's definitely interesting - more chanting than DDS or even Nocturne. Hoping for more eerie piano / organ tracks like what Nocturne had. We'll see though!

Danny Dudekisser

Alright, I think I'm done with Devil Summoner 2. Every time you go back to playing detective, the game turns into aimless wandering with the same fucking song playing in the background everywhere you go... this is what I hated the most about the first game, so I'm just finished.

The story up until now:

Fly ass honey gives Narukami a photo of some bro, then Raidou and his sideburns ask lots of questions, find no answers. I gave fish to some guy at a bathhouse. Then these dudes with masks took me somewhere, but I left.

demonkaze

So I just picked up Persona 3 (Portable) again making it the third time i've owned this game now (P3, P3F and P3P) and I've still never finished this game so I intend to do that this time. What side is considered better to play, Male or Female? Note that I have beat all other SMT games so I know what i'm doing in these games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What side is considered better to play, Male or Female? Note that I have beat all other SMT games so I know what i'm doing in these games.

I'd say the difference isn't that big (though I haven't played very far on the female side), but in your case I recommend starting as female just because you get awesome new music and it will be a little different from your last times.

Esura

Banned
At first Persona 4 felt like the hardest game ever, until I took down Shadow Yukiko and Contrarian King (barely on that one). Game feels like it is clicking with me now.

So far I joined Basketball Club and the Music Club (girl in that club is so adorable btw) and got Yosuke to Level 3 or 4 in his SL. I'm wondering why I'm not getting those "!" above Chie's head though. At first I was like freaking out because I thought I was supposed to do things in a certain way but I just been working and doing stuff all willy nilly and I got rank ups in Social Parameters and all that. Its like there isn't really any consequences for what I do in the social parts of the game.

Now I'm grinding to level 20 before I start the next dungeon in May...whenever that starts that is.

Levyne

Banned
Shadow Yukiko was probably the third toughest boss for me. The others were one of the other upcoming party member shadow bosses and the first (iirc) non party-member boss.

cj_iwakura

Maaaan, but when the PSP version's out, who would even care about the PS1 version anymore? That voice acting is stank.

And not the good kind, like Symphony of the Night.

Nah, that voice acting would give up neck in a Burger King parking lot for like $4.23.

Boy, when you're wrong, you go all in.

EP's voice acting is great, as was the translation.

Nexas

I just finished Devil Survivor 2. I took the New World path which seemed like the only real choice to me, as the other choices seemed too vague for me. The Final boss was stupid easy. I managed to one-shot all three of its forms. Overall I liked it better than the original mechanically, but the story didn't pull me in as much.

I'm undecided what I should play next. I have two old saves for Strange Journey and Devil Summoner 2, both are about 20 hours in. What say you GAF?

cj_iwakura

I just finished Devil Survivor 2. I took the New World path which seemed like the only real choice to me, as the other choices seemed too vague for me. The Final boss was stupid easy. I managed to one-shot all three of its forms. Overall I liked it better than the original mechanically, but the story didn't pull me in as much.

I'm undecided what I should play next. I have two old saves for Strange Journey and Devil Summoner 2, both are about 20 hours in. What say you GAF?

Devil Summoner 2's older, so that.

cj_iwakura

Otherworld Dungeon 2: Poison floors, more spells and the second boss

I would like to start off by saying thank you to Nakratos for informing me about what the spell was that Yomotsu Shikome had that I couldn't figure out. So I now enter the second dungeon of the game. This dungeon looks quite a lot different from the first. It's a little less straightforward, but seems to be only one floor and a lot shorter then the first dungeon.

MKiVN.png

It also has multiple entrances. If you didn't know by now, the symbols in dungeons with the person running are entrances/exits. So if you ever need to exit a dungeon...Look for that symbol. The main goal of this dungeon is just to get to the boss. Some things to know about this dungeon are that you'll run across many trashbins. I've taken a picture of where you can find one of them on the map.

oNVL3.png

m5KZ9.png

Once you've gotten any of the trashbins you wanted, there's really nothing much else to do here. Unless, you need to do grinding or negotiation with demons to get them for fusing or whatever. There is also one thing to note while going through this dungeon. There are poison floors of sorts. At least, that's just the name I've given them. They do not poison you, but they will inflict damage upon you if you step over them. Here's an example of what I am talking about and where it's located on the map:

oJ3RY.png

Ij0M3.png

Make sure to avoid that poisonous floor. I tried going over it to see if the path lead anywhere, but no it didn't. The path lead to absolutely nothing. Just a dead end. Anyways though, if you want to do some grinding at this point this is the place to do it. Encounters are extremely frequent here and the enemies give much better EXP then anything else up to this point. I personally leveled around 2-3 levels and Rei learned Dia and Posumdi while I was grinding. Make sure you got all of the best equipment at this point of the game before facing the next boss. I would also suggest getting Rei Dia and Posumdi. Both of those are excellent spells and you wouldn't want to pass on having them at the boss fight . Once you are ready, here's where you need to go on the map:

CGhWL.png

Here's my stats and demons before the boss fight. I have the same demons as before, but now Kyouji is at a higher level and I have Rei in my party too. I won't bother going over the demon's stats again, but I will of course show Rei and Kyouji's stats.

Protagonist(Kyouji Kuzunoha):
FEZcp.png

Level: 19
HP: 139
MP: N/A
STR: 14
INT: 7
MAG: 4
STA: 11
SPD: 7
LCK: 5

Rei Raihou:
r9xXc.png

Level: 16
HP: 61
MP: 49
STR: 9
INT: 8
MAG: 10
STA: 6
SPD: 8
LCK: 5

Go there and you'll see a opening in the wall. Walk through there when prepared and then watch a scene. After the scene is over, the boss fight is on!

Is97n.png

XIlGy.png

BOSS: Ashi-naga
HP: 112
MP: 61

BOSS: Yakou
HP: 238
MP: 108

BOSS: Te-naga
HP: 72
MP: 56

Similar to the first boss fight, this is pretty easy. Your first priority should be to take down Te-naga. The demon on the right. After that, get Ashi-naga. Once both of Yakou's minions are down he'll join in on the battle by moving to the front. Yakou isn't much of a step up from his minions and is pretty easy. I had Rei using Agi every single turn while Kyouji just attacked. Before you know it, you'll win.

Prison and Dungeon 3

After defeating the boss, it turns out there's a bomb in the house. It's set off to detonate in only a matter of time. Our heroes manage to safely make it out just as the bomb explodes.

HoMRR.png

Once that's over, two people from the police department approach us. Apparently, they suspect that we were behind the bombing. Unfortunately, they throw me into prison.

HT57x.png

VIARa.png

After being thrown in prison, I am eventually released. Upon being released...I run into the fortune teller woman. A conversation ensues.

tS8G5.png

Eventually, the conversation ends. Once it does, you'll be back on the world map. You'll notice that you are now in a new section of the world map.

16EWH.png

From the world map just head back to the Yaraiginza Arcade District. Back here, do the usual tasks. Head back to the fortune teller and speak with her. Then check the Kuzunoha Detective Agency. Save and check DDS NET too. Next, check the weapon and armor stores. Both stores now have updated equipment. Eventually you will be ready to head to the third dungeon. It's located here:

2mkWj.png

The third dungeon is different from the first two. This dungeon incorporates elevators and is more involved then previous dungeons.

w9Jh4.png

Despite that, the goal of this dungeon is to pretty much get to the boss on the fourth floor. Once you enter, you'll realize there is a elevator if you keep on going straight. The elevator can take you to floors 4F-B1F.

16gNV.png

Of course though, it's not going to be that simple obviously. You're not just going to take a elevator to the fourth floor that you come across 5 seconds into the dungeon and just get to the boss that fast. You actually have to take the elevator to the third floor. Then from there go down to the second floor and navigate your way back up to the fourth floor by finding another set of stairs on the second floor. I would recommend leveling to at least 21 or so. Rei learns Agirao at level 21. An incredibly useful spell. I personally went overkill and got to level 27, but it was for a demon that wasn't even that good in the end either way. 27 is definitely unnecessary and it will eliminate any challenge at this point. Either way, once you're ready it's time to progress through the dungeon. First off, of course you need to take the elevator to the third floor.

16gNV.png

On the third floor, you then need to find the stairs. You can find what it looks like in the following screenshots and where it is on the map of this floor. More specifically though, just continue along the third floor until you reach two doors. Go through the door that has you facing North. Then continue following the path until you reach the staircase you need to get to.

RRpYJ.png

iByuP.png

Get to that door and you'll be at the set of stairs you needed to reach. Upon reaching this location, take the stairs to the second floor. On the second floor, just keep following the linear path to a staircase. Descend the stairs to the first floor. Back on this floor again, just progress along. Make sure along the way to go in the first door you see and get the chest in here.

jolwM.png

Then keep on going until you come across another set of stairs. Take these stairs to the third floor. On the third floor just continue forward to a new elevator. Ride this elevator to the fourth floor. Here, you'll eventually come across two doors. Go in the first door you see and follow it to another door. The boss is behind this door. Prepare.

GfZP9.png

Danny Dudekisser

There's something about the 2D spritework in older SMT games that I really like. This, for example:

tS8G5.png

The way the characters' facial features are obscured is kinda... ominous, somehow. It makes me want to try one of the really old titles... eventually.

Danny Dudekisser

Try Persona 1. I like it. Simple to grasp and get into.

Oh man, I do not want to get into my disdain for Persona 1. It's something powerful.

Come to think of it, I think I dislike about as many SMT games as I actually like... hmmm.

But the ones I like, I really, really like.

Actually, come to think of it, I only dislike 3. The Raidou games and Persona 1. I've adored all the other ones I've played.

Soulhouf

SMT if... was my first megaten and still one of my favorite, especially the PS1 version.
Back in the days it was a friend who recommended that game to me and when I replayed it 3 years ago I understood why. It's straight forward and easy to understand and go through.

The game is now available on the PSN, you no longer have to pay much money so GO buy it.

I would not recommend a modern megaten to a beginner because they are very different from the main series nowadays (atmosphere, music, story...).

Aeana

Oh man, I do not want to get into my disdain for Persona 1. It's something powerful.

Come to think of it, I think I dislike about as many SMT games as I actually like... hmmm.

Actually, come to think of it, I only dislike 3. The Raidou games and Persona 1. I've adored all the other ones I've played.
So you don't like Raidou 2? It sounded like you were having a good time before.

Psxphile

Oh, are we talking 'our first Megaten'? Because my first was the poorly-localized Revelations: Persona for the PS1. I probably wouldn't have even bothered if not for the GameFan print review and the perfect storm that was waiting patiently on FFVII NA version to blow me away + local Blockbusters having a copy. I would go on to rent that same copy multiple times over a span of 4-5 weeks until I finally beat the game. I think I had Brad/BROWN as my 5th, but I got the bad ending.

I later bought a copy of my very own and ordered the official GameFan strategy guide to fill in the gaps of knowledge I had about the game (regular internet for me would be years away).

Esura

Banned

I've only completed like one SMT game (Devil Survivor), rest I put like a ton of hours then end up dropping for some new fighter or something so I don't really have one I can say I truly dislike. Sucks you dislike P1 though. I love the battle theme and boss theme.

My first SMT game is Devil Survivor 1 and for the past few years after it's release I've been trying to play SMT catchup.

EDIT: Aw crap, I put all this effort into leveling up Chie and getting her decent shoes and raising her SL and someone told me she is the worst party member in the game. Wow....waste of some hours.

Levyne

Banned
I've only completed like one SMT game (Devil Survivor), rest I put like a ton of hours then end up dropping for some new fighter or something so I don't really have one I can say I truly dislike. Sucks you dislike P1 though. I love the battle theme and boss theme.

My first SMT game is Devil Survivor 1 and for the past few years after it's release I've been trying to play SMT catchup.

EDIT: Aw crap, I put all this effort into leveling up Chie and getting her decent shoes and raising her SL and someone told me she is the worst party member in the game. Wow....waste of some hours.

Chie is not very good, yeah..

Esura

Banned
I ended up using Yousuke and Yukiko fairly often throughout the whole game. In fact I'm not sure Yukiko ever left my party.

Yosuke and Yukiko are awesome. Although it might not be the smartest thing but I wouldn't mind just sticking with Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko throughout the entire game. Knowing that party members don't gain levels if you don't use them kind of put a damper on me experimenting with odd teams.

Bullshit.

Danny Dudekisser

So you don't like Raidou 2? It sounded like you were having a good time before.

I was, for a bit. Like, it started and I was like, "okay, combat system is pretty fun, neat!" Then it was time to do detective work. And that boiled down to "find this guy some food to get information out of him." So I was wandering aimlessly looking for the key to get past this situation... and the game really didn't indicate at all that you need to take on the side quest you got earlier, so I didn't do that until like... I'd already wasted 20 minutes searching.

So you go to the demon world, and it's like "okay, you did that." So you go to the next place, and find that Tatsumi guy, and then you gotta run back to the demon world in order to get the demon to make him talk. Couldn't they have just told me to run through the dungeon earlier?

Then like 20 minutes later, in the part where I quit, you're looking for that Dahn guy, and I don't even remember what I was looking for, but it was more running around without any indication as to where to go.

And frankly, I just have no interest in that type of gameplay. It's not exploration at that point - it's drudgery.

No.

cj_iwakura

There's something about the 2D spritework in older SMT games that I really like. This, for example:

tS8G5.png

The way the characters' facial features are obscured is kinda... ominous, somehow. It makes me want to try one of the really old titles... eventually.

Strange Journey does this too.

And if you can't tolerate a little detective work in Raidou, you'd loathe the old games.

Danny Dudekisser

And if you can't tolerate a little detective work in Raidou, you'd loathe the old games.

That's unfortunate :(

I really love me some dungeon crawling, but yeah, I guess the Raidou blueprint just doesn't work for me. You gimme Labyrinth of Amala, and I'm all OVER that shit. Same goes for Persona 2's dungeons. But you make me search for fish to give to some dude before I can do some other chores in order to get to even a little dungeon crawling, and I'm not feelin' it anymore. Oh well.

cj_iwakura

That's unfortunate :(

I really love me some dungeon crawling, but yeah, I guess the Raidou blueprint just doesn't work for me. You gimme Labyrinth of Amala, and I'm all OVER that shit. Same goes for Persona 2's dungeons. But you make me search for fish to give to some dude before I can do some other chores in order to get to even a little dungeon crawling, and I'm not feelin' it anymore. Oh well.

SMT2's fetch quests send you all over the planet and back.

Raidou 2 is a great game, so I'd say at least play it here and there and see if it picks back up.

Link1110

Any recs on what to play after SJ?
Options are
Nocturne
Raidou 2
Devil Children White

Of course, I'm getting SH day one in August :)

Danny Dudekisser

SMT2's fetch quests send you all over the planet and back.

Raidou 2 is a great game, so I'd say at least play it here and there and see if it picks back up.

I might. It's possible I'm just not in the mood for it right now.

And dude who just posted above me - play Nocturne. It's soooooooooooo good.

Top Bottom