• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: PS4 & 720 Will Need Plenty Of RAM To Meet Our Standard (+Edge RAM Rumor)

Nibel

Lock if old.

Square Enix’s Agni’s Philosophy tech demo turned a lot of heads when it was revealed at E3 last month. This brief glimpse of what the future holds for the company’s long running Final Fantasy series ( among other projects ) isn’t only impressive visually but may also be a technical challenge for future consoles.

In the newest issue of Edge Magazine, Creative Director and Senior Manager Takeshi Nozue mentioned that the Agni’s Philosophy real-time tech demo, running on the Nvidia’s GTX 680, was a challenge due to the amount of RAM available.

“Memory size is the biggest challenge,” Nozue stated.

“The texture quality in the Agni’s Philosophy demo is an enormous drain and it’s clear that the next-generation consoles will have to carry a fat wedge of RAM if they’re to support Square’s tech,” Edge elaborated.

This gen developers ran into issues due to the amount of memory available for the PlayStation 3, something Sony addressed with the PS Vita. But what about the PS4 and 360?

While both Sony and Microsoft remain quiet about their respective new hardware, a developer ( who wished to remain anonymous ) told the publication that the non-gaming functionality for Microsoft’s next XBox will take up a “hefty amount” of the system’s memory leaving an undisclosed amount left over for gaming.

Edit:

Direct Edge Quote/New Rumor: "Outside of the Agni's Philosophy demo, we were told by a developer [who wishes to remain anonymous] that Microsoft's 360 successor will draw upon a "very large" amount of memory, albeit with a hefty amount given over to the console's non-gaming functionality."

End Edit

Whether this is true or not remains to be confirmed. However, Square Enix is confident that hardware makers will ”come to a level of quality that will support” the visuals shown in the tech demo.

Source

dXreP.jpg

Lol at the people saying Agni's Philosophy ran on some crazy powerful unreleased hardware, it's only a single GTX 680, something like a 7870 in a console should easily be able to replicate that.

Riggs

Banned
Glad more devs are speaking up on what they would like to see in next gen consoles. Amazes me that people would think 2gb of RAM is an upgrade. Even though it is an upgrade in the literal sense. 6gb would be great.

Pair that with a 680 level gpu and decent processor and you have a great console. None of this is going to happen though :(

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
that the non-gaming functionality for Microsoft’s next XBox will take up a “hefty amount” of the system’s memory leaving an undisclosed amount left over for gaming.
I don't know if this is good, but if the total amount of RAM is significant, it shouldn't be an issue. Actually in case of Vita, the OS is pretty responsive and snappy, so I wouldn't mind if the end-user experience is pleasant.

I don't know if this is good, but if the total amount of RAM is significant, it shouldn't be an issue. Actually in case of Vita, the OS is pretty responsive and snappy, so I wouldn't mind if the end-user experience is pleasant.
Vita is overkill, 50% of the RAM is dedicated to the OS. I'm hoping only like 512mb is reserved for the OS in the next gen consoles.

Glad more devs are speaking up on what they would like to see in next gen consoles. Amazes me that people would think 2gb of RAM is an upgrade. Even though it is an upgrade in the literal sense. 6gb would be great.

Pair that with a 680 level gpu and decent processor and you have a great console. None of this is going to happen though :(
None of this will happen because none of us will be able to afford it.

:)

Durante

Since Agni's Philosophy is pretty much the most impressive realtime tech demo that exists so far, if S-E speaks people should listen.

Yeah, I'm sure developers shudder to think of getting more RAM. The only reason they're all asking for it is because they're masochists.

As long as I keep getting good old-school fashioned Dragon Quest games, I couldn't care less about the available RAM in the system... and speaking of which, any news on the WiiU port of DQX?

I'm sure they were referring to VRAM and as of now, no card with more than 4GB exists.

It's not standard RAM as that wouldn't be worth bringing up if they ran the demo on a PC

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Alright then!

But yeah, that is a pretty important part. Seems like non-gaming stuff will play an important role next-gen.

Yeah, in one of Microsoft's E3 interviews, when asked about their thoughts on Sony/Nintendo, they actually pointed to Nintendo as a big part of their competition as well, so I imagine they're going to push very hard to try and advance their goal of winning the living room.

Instro

Vita is overkill, 50% of the RAM is dedicated to the OS. I'm hoping only like 512mb is reserved for the OS in the next gen consoles.

For the WiiU and PS4 probably, the 720 on the other hand seems like its going to be much much higher than that given all the supposed features to go along with the OS.

Riggs

Banned
I'm sure they were referring to VRAM and as of now, no card with more than 4GB exists.

It's not standard RAM as that wouldn't be worth bringing up if they ran the demo on a PC

Ya you're right, still though if these consoles ship with 2GB of ram and a card that has less then 1GB of VRAM that is going to be really sad.

not matter what MS/Sony come up with these we want ram engine guys will never be satisfied

the fact that a good chunk of RAM is going to OS/Apps on these new consoles outside of gaming use is already a warning sign not to put our hopes up.

that being said. I would give S-E 5 years to dev the best looking eye candy game ever to see what that thing would look like

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Next Xbox could very well be a PC with Windows 8, don't you think this interview makes it sound like it?

You act like the PS4 isn't going to have those same features, either on release day or through updates.

Going by this generation, they probably won't have the same features, but the truth is at this point we have no idea what the full feature sets of those two consoles are going to be.

Riggs

Banned
I wonder exactly how much RAM they want. 6GB? 8GB? 16GB? lol

In the newest issue of Edge Magazine, Creative Director and Senior Manager Takeshi Nozue mentioned that the Agni’s Philosophy real-time tech demo, running on the Nvidia’s GTX 680, was a challenge due to the amount of RAM available.

I made same mistake on my first post, pretty sure the person is referring to the VRAM on the GPU. I have a GTX 680 with 2GB of VRAM. If they are saying that they had trouble running this tech demo on a stand alone GTX 680 with 2GB of vram, then yeah I wouldn't expect to see anything like this on next gen consoles. Hate to be that guy, but I don't think you can expect to see anything like this on next generation of consoles.

Currently on this card everything runs pretty great, but I have never tried anything that is UE4 or whatever this engine in the FF tech demo is. Obviously since they are not available to general public. But if a 680 is struggling on this demo, no way consoles are going to be seeing stuff like this.

How so? I always thought more ram makes it easier for developers.

Not really. More ram would make some things just so much easier.. It's the lack of ram that makes you cut corners at the end because the thing just won't move otherwise...

You act like the PS4 isn't going to have those same features, either on release day or through updates.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry, was meant to be a Versus 13 joke :x

The GTX 680 has 2GB of ram so their demo didn't use more than that at any point for graphics.
PD: Correction, looks like there is 4GB models, I wonder witch model did they use.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

I made same mistake on my first post, pretty sure the person is referring to the VRAM on the GPU. I have a GTX 680 with 2GB of VRAM. If they are saying that they had trouble running this tech demo on a stand alone GTX 680 with 2GB of vram, then yeah I wouldn't expect to see anything like this on next gen consoles. Hate to be that guy, but I don't think you can expect to see anything like this on next generation of consoles.
Ah that makes sense. 2GB of fast dedicated VRAM? I also do not think so.

Riggs

Banned
Ah that makes sense. 2GB of fast dedicated VRAM? I also do not think so.

I said the same thing twice at the end, my mistake lol. I need to get some sleep!!! All this ram talk damnit!

The GTX 680 has 2GB of ram so their demo didn't use more than that at any point for graphics.
PD: Correction, looks like there is 4GB models, I wonder witch model did they use.

Lord, I hope the 2GB model. If their engine is struggling with a 680 4GB card then that is crazy. 4GB of dedicated VRAM would be plenty you'd think.

There are 4GB models, there's no reason to think he's talking about the 2GB models.

Edit: You stealth edited.

UberTag

I'm still waiting for Square Enix... or, hell, any Japanese developer not named PlatinumGames or From Entertainment... to demonstrate a command of HD console hardware from 2005. Until they're able to do that they have no business making demands of what console manufacturers will be including in their systems in 2013 and beyond.

Perhaps for their benefit we should just see re-releases of X360s and PS3s with more on-board RAM to take advantage of. Screw any other graphical or performance upgrades.

I'm still waiting for Square Enix... or, hell, any Japanese developer not named PlatinumGames or From Entertainment... to demonstrate a command of HD console hardware from 2005. Until they're able to do that they have no business making demands of what console manufacturers will be including in their systems in 2013 and beyond.

Technically speaking, Square is quite a bit ahead of Platinum and From. You can knock the quality of their games all you want, but FFXIII is a really nice looking game.

Top Bottom