• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

The game is a ton of fun, got home from work and gym around 10pm, i was up till 130am playing and i never stay up that late gaming anymore. 100% Warehouse, School is frustrating me a little and had some fun and got a few a few things done on hanger

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I cannot believe they built this on UE3.

I mean, it's kind of nifty that UE3 is powering a Tony Hawk game, but that also meant a less than perfect framerate.

I mean, the original XBOX was able to run Tony Hawk games last gen at 60 fps / 720p. The visuals here are improved, but not to the degree that you would expect such a drop in performance. It's not even a perfect 30 fps. :\

Card Boy

Banned
I cannot believe they built this on UE3.

I mean, it's kind of nifty that UE3 is powering a Tony Hawk game, but that also meant a less than perfect framerate.

I mean, the original XBOX was able to run Tony Hawk games last gen at 60 fps / 720p. The visuals here are improved, but not to the degree that you would expect such a drop in performance. It's not even a perfect 30 fps. :\

Mortal Kombat is 60FPS and is UE3. Just put it down to developer laziness.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eh, I don't know, the stages in Tony Hawk are much larger. A lot of compromises were made with MK in order to reach 60 fps on consoles. The way the engine works really seems to make this task very difficult.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING

Again, I'm hesitant to bag on the devs too much. Just about every facet of this project comes across as "rushed right the fuck out the door by a publisher who wants to meet the deadline for the XBox summer sale," and to pin that sort of development timeline and the crappy results it generates on the devs is somewhat disingenuous.

Nothing about what's there suggests that with another six months to a year of dev time (or a more adequately staffed initial run) they couldn't have made something worthwhile.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Like dark10x said, UE3 is just not designed to run at 60fps. Maybe they chose it because they were on a tight deadline, but the game really was doomed from the start it seems.

It's a real shame - I know a lot of people really wanted this. Be careful what you wish for, I guess.

Really love this game. I don't get all the hate. It's not incredible, but it's good fun.

Sometimes you see a wave of group think in a thread like this. Like the negativity gets so strong that people who might have opposing views decide against posting at all, and likewise some people are more inclined to agree with the group opinion. ie, read the negative opinions, play the demo expecting to hate it, also end up hating it.

Again, I'm hesitant to bag on the devs too much. Just about every facet of this project comes across as "rushed right the fuck out the door by a publisher who wants to meet the deadline for the XBox summer sale," and to pin that sort of development timeline and the crappy results it generates on the devs is somewhat disingenuous.

Nothing about what's there suggests that with another six months to a year of dev time (or a more adequately staffed initial run) they couldn't have made something worthwhile.

Yet another post suggesting that just adding another 6 months of development time and/or a bigger team was no big deal.

Allow me to remind you that this is a $15 downloadable game. Right from the start it's potential sales are limited. Then you've got the fact that this franchise was driven into the ground in recent years, and you've got a game that is going to be on a limited budget.

I'm perfectly fine with the content provided in this game, but then again I was looking at this as a $15 downloadable game from day one. I agree that it's a little buggy, and maybe a few elements of the physics engine could use some tweaks, but the claims of it being "broken" are just hilariously unfounded. I'm sure some updates to the game will address these issues in the near future.

MMaRsu

Banned
UE3 is easy to develop with, but hard to master. They should have been able to reach 60fps easily if they used a different engine.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm only two more achievements away from having all of the achievements, it's been a fun game to play, it's not perfect, but it's good

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Really love this game. I don't get all the hate. It's not incredible, but it's good fun.

It's kinda fun, but it feels nothing like the originals. That's where all the hate is coming from. If you're going to do a remake, it has to feel EXACTLY the same or people are going to be unhappy. Update the visuals, music, etc, but do NOT touch the gameplay.

BruiserBear said:
Sometimes you see a wave of group think in a thread like this. Like the negativity gets so strong that people who might have opposing views decide against posting at all, and likewise some people are more inclined to agree with the group opinion. ie, read the negative opinions, play the demo expecting to hate it, also end up hating it.

Somewhat true, but I read absolutely none of the thread before posting my opinions. I just think it's an incredibly sloppy effort that doesn't come close to the originals.

wondermega

A few things - it's going to be political of course (gaf is a bit of a political place for starters). Activision hasn't done much positive with the brand in some years now, and the dev of this game is typically finger-pointed as the culprit responsible for those lows in recent years. It's not as if people didn't have good reason to worry. On top of it, there was a tinge of cynicism here and there but overall expectation was pretty decent for this game.

As for the engine, not fair to blame it, on the one hand I am sort of surprised that they didn't use the existing THPS engine (then again, it's probably mothballed a fair bit now after some years of inactivity). Not sure why they went for UE3, probably had their reasons (speed and ease of implementation, potentially way less cost than dusting off/rejiggering older engines, or even building a new one which would really be out of the question for what's essentially a budget title). Ultimately a game like this is probably more intended to court a more casual market in some ways, and in that regard many of the decisions probably made a lot of sense - in the short-term, at least.

Anyway I've still yet to launch the demo so I won't praise or damn it at this point.

I decided to download the demo, what have they done. It just feels off, when you ollie why does the camera jerk up so hard with you? Also something random but did they take out the holy freaking cow grind or whatever it was called in Warehouse? I tried grinding the whole thing but I couldn't seem to trigger it.

theJwac

I was nervous after reading a few of the reviews. Especially hearing that things like the tricks and moves lists were gone. It sounded like a lazy port.

Thankfully, this is not the case. Tricks and moves lists are there. This is a Tony Hawk Pro Skater game to the core. I played through the demo once and after one short run on the warehouse, I had to buy the game. I don't regret it for a second. I 100%'d the hangar last night and am looking forward to more when I get home.

This port isn't perfect, I miss some of the music, and there are rare graphical glitches but this game feels right.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Why did they think putting the "big drop" mechanic back in was a good idea?

There is a reason it wasn't in the sequels and that is because it's not fun. Downhill Jam is broken and i'm going insane trying to get the sick score. Any tips?

Pretty crap trial for people who have never played Tony Hawk. 90secs of a 2min round and no tutorial or explanation of whats going on.

No sale from me.

Why did they think putting the "big drop" mechanic back in was a good idea?

There is a reason it wasn't in the sequels and that is because it's not fun. Downhill Jam is broken and i'm going insane trying to get the sick score. Any tips?

Do a manual before you are about to land. Don't know why but it works.

pa22word

*sigh*

You really have no idea what in the hell you are talking about.

Screenshots of all 3 THPS3 DLC levels--Airport, LA, and Canada.

Why Canada? I feel like it's the worst level in THPS3.

Oh shiiiiiiit

That's pretty much my three favorite levels in the entire game. Sad this version seems to have so many flaws, otherwise this would be a D1P on PC.

I tried the demo last night. In the original Warehouse you could grind the back quarter pipe, jump, bounce off the wall and then grind all the way back.

You can no longer do that.

Boo-urns.

Edit: Is Philadelphia in this game? I spent so much time learning to get high scoring combos on that level.

Edit: Is Philadelphia in this game? I spent so much time learning to get high scoring combos on that level.
It's not. From all that's been implied, there's more DLC on the way. Hopefully it will touch on the levels that better deserve spots in the game like Philadelphia, Skatestreet, School I, and Minneapolis. Any of those over Downhill Jam. Any of them. I'm looking at you, Tony Hawk.

Tattooth

Does anyone else find it almost impossible to stop whilst turning? I can't remember if it was like that in the older games, but I am sure it was not. Also, if you bail and then mash left and X you will constantly bail every time you spawn, they were my go to buttons to quickly get up so that sucks.

Syriel

There's probably no hope for the original Tony Hawk games showing up on PSN via PS1/PS2 classics is there? That would probably cut into their Tony Hawk HD profit.

It would also highlight how different the timing is in the new game.

Before writing my review I sat down with the original discs on the PS3. Going back and forth between the two, the originals certainly lost out on graphics, but the gamplay was so much smoother there was no comparison.

If you own an Xbox 360 and want old school Tony Hawk, pick up a used copy THPS 2x.

If you own a PS3 and want old school Tony Hawk, pick up used copies of THPS and THPS 2.

Tenki

I've been playing the game and the physics are horrible. The game is sometimes frustrating, I don't remember the old ones being so irritating.

And where is the revert? Where is the double kickflip? I know they were introduced in THPS3, but it would've been great if they where here too. Are they coming in the DLC?

My least favorite thing about this game, honestly, is the controller. It's just not built for this type of game.

Fun game otherwise. Decent use of $15.

Cheddahz

Banned
I just 100 percented everything and guess what? Now I have some more goals to do that are honestly kinda outrageous, I want to get all of the achievements in this, but meh...

Borman

I loaded up THPS2X for Xbox yesterday and frankly, in my humble opinion, it was a better experience than THPSHD.

Just did the same, and it really is better, even with lower stats.

Not that playing as Spidey isn't fun.
thpsspidey.png

:D

//B1G

Banned
Since DLing 3 I've now got more levels than is included in this game... I've got School 1/2, Venice Beach, Warehouse, Downhill Jam, Hangar, plus all the awesome extra levels from 3.
I'd honestly recommend anyone doing that over playing this version. There's really no reason to given you can do all that. Though I guess that's only on PC, so.

Oil rig!

ieEQLem0hFjPL.png

Since DLing 3 I've now got more levels than is included in this game... I've got School 1/2, Venice Beach, Warehouse, Downhill Jam, Hangar, plus all the awesome extra levels from 3.
I'd honestly recommend anyone doing that over playing this version. There's really no reason to given you can do all that. Though I guess that's only on PC, so.

Oil rig!

Are you playing it on PC with a gamepad? I tried messing around with 3 on PC the other day, but I couldn't figure out how to get the game to recognize my Dualshock 3 with MotionJoy. A google search didn't really help with the situation either. Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I be using a different controller?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This game might actually be fucking garbage. Like, I like to give everything the benefit of a doubt and say, 'oh well someone might like it. it's just not for me'. But they're going for something I know, and it's terrible.

I'm not even that pissed about the lack of levels. I'm pissed about the bullshit 'Big Drops' and the game trying to attach Skate type physics to the board itself so when I try to grind something, rather than just not letting me grind it, it fucking crashes me. Or I hit a ramp and the physics go insane and slingshot me across the screen, and for some stupid fucking reason, they decided to include the 'sloppy/clean' system but not the flatten out system.

This tops Max Payne 3 and Mass Effect 3 for my disappointment of the year by a long shot. Those games had bad design choices but were mostly playable at their core. This is not.

I hate to say this, but this game's a piece of shit. Do NOT buy it. You might be like me and have your nostalgia on full effect playing the first leven and remembering how awesome Tony Hawk is, but you're quickly reminded that those days are over and that Robomodo needs to stop or Activision needs to can this franchise.

//B1G

Banned
Are you playing it on PC with a gamepad? I tried messing around with 3 on PC the other day, but I couldn't figure out how to get the game to recognize my Dualshock 3 with MotionJoy. A google search didn't really help with the situation either. Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I be using a different controller?
No, I couldn't get mine recognized either so I just remapped the controls to something more ergonomical on the keyboard. It's basically the same when you think about it, you don't use the joysticks anyway
The one thing I hate though is I only have the option for like 4 different resolutions, all of which suck.

No, I couldn't get mine recognized either so I just remapped the controls to something more ergonomical on the keyboard. It's basically the same when you think about it, you don't use the joysticks anyway
The one thing I hate though is I only have the option for like 4 different resolutions, all of which suck.

Thanks for the input. I'll just have to try that myself despite it feeling weird not using a regular controller. I've been wanting to play THPS 3 for years, but sadly, I don't have any of the last gen consoles anymore so this is my only option right now.

Borman

Something like Joy2Key should work, no?

Higher resolutions for THPS3:
http://www.wsgf.org/node/118

The PC versions always felt lacking compared to the PS2. I remember I got a sidewinder controller along with the game years ago (still have the controller!)

Top Bottom