• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

u4iX

Let's talk about Autosentry.

Do you guys think it will have a "construction time" like a TF2 turret, or be an instant deploy like equipment in Halo 3?

I'm hoping for a "construction time."

I also don't want it to be playlist restricted. I really think the rules/availability of all weapons, grenades, packages, and abilities should be universal in standard playlists.

Damage is gonna be really risky on it.

It can't be too powerful, because then its like having an extra player on your team focus firing. Camping next to a sentry would be too good.

If it's too weak it can be pointless, but that puts emphasis on its placement and use.

I think with sprint, hardlight shield, camo (which would make you invisible to turrets) and jet/thruster pack, the damage can afford to be higher.

A team running multiple sentries could then be pushed on with a team countering by using camo and hardlight.

I just hope we get a chance to see it soon.

They should do a UNSC Infinity "Training Program" inspired breakdown of the armor abilities. An Auntie Dot sounding voice that's all like

>Hardlight Shield
>Developed from blah blah blah technology
>Anti-small arms fire blah blah canon blah
>Be warned, vulnerable to blah blah and fully charged Plasma Pistol bolts
>Melees can penetrate the Hardlight Shield, but not Plasma Sword technolgy

Something like that.

Brought you by Steelyuhas, self elected king.

Now go make that on screen text optional Frank. I promise 2x the sales. Brought to you by Zeouterlimits, the real king.

Okay, maybe 0.75x, but that's worth it. So says the King.
Sometimes executive decisions need to be made.

Do you guys think it will have a "construction time" like a TF2 turret, or be an instant deploy like equipment in Halo 3?

I also don't want it to be playlist restricted. I really think the rules/availability of all weapons, grenades, packages, and abilities should be universal in standard playlists.

It can't be too powerful, because then its like having an extra player on your team focus firing. Camping next to a sentry would be too good.

If it's too weak it can be pointless, but that puts emphasis on its placement and use.

I think with sprint, hardlight shield, camo (which would make you invisible to turrets) and jet/thruster pack, the damage can afford to be higher.

A team running multiple sentries could then be pushed on with a team countering by using camo and hardlight.

They should do a UNSC Infinity "Training Program" inspired breakdown of the armor abilities. An Auntie Dot sounding voice that's all like

>Hardlight Shield

Something like that.

I think it will be an instant deploy. My general idea of it based on the duration of the AA's we've seen is that it will be decently powerful, but it will disappear/combust after about 5-7 seconds.

Agreed that I don't really want to see abilities and weapons playlist restricted (other than the obvious fringe playlists like SWAT). Custom loadouts are going to suck if some of my loadouts are just disabled in a playlist because some ability is not for that playlist.

Talents

Banned

>Hardlight Shield

Something like that.
As long as AA's aren't in MLG, I'm good.

Let's talk about Autosentry and sip some coffee

I think it would be mighty nifty if the autosentry's weapon was like a plasma rifle.
Not very accurate at mid to long range, does lots of damage to shields, but takes a bit for the kill.

Also I hope it moves around automatically so it doesn't promote camping too much.

As long as AA's aren't in MLG, I'm good.
I hope the opposite.

Every time I put the Halo 3 disk in, and hear the music in the menu. I am reminded of the euphoric release of the hype that was built leading up to the game.

In other words, I'm on H3, Join me.

Slaker117

nothing to do with current discussions but the listing for Silentium on Amazon just gave me a boner. Even readers of the two previous books should beware, there is a big twist reveal in the few lines below ;-) :

In the last years of the Forerunner empire, chaos rules. The Flood—a horrifying shape-changing parasite—has arrived in force, aided by unexpected allies. Internal strife within the ecumene has desperately weakened Forerunner defenses.

Too little, too late, the legal rate of Juridicals is only now investigating possible crimes by the Master Builder and others. Evidence-gathering agents known collectively as Catalog have been dispatched to collect testimony from the Librarian and both Didacts: the Ur-Didact, treacherously abandoned in a Flood-infested system, and the Bornstellar Didact, who accompanies the Librarian as she preserves specimens against the dire possibility of Halo extermination.

Facing the imminent collapse of their civilization, the Librarian and the Ur-Didact reveal what they know about the relationship between the long-vanished Precursors and the Flood.

The Precursors created many technological species, including humanity and the Forerunners. But the roots of the Flood may be found in an act of enormous barbarity, carried out beyond our galaxy ten million years before...

Because of that barbarism, a greater evil looms. Only the Ur-Didact and the Librarian--husband and wife pushed into desperate conflict--hold the keys to a solution.

Facing the consequences of a mythic tragedy, one of them must now commit the greatest atrocity of all time—to prevent an insane evil from dominating the entire universe.

Goddamn. Even after being incredibly underwhelmed by Primordium, that got me hyped. Very interested to see how this plays out.

u4iX

I think it would be mighty nifty if the autosentry's weapon was like a plasma rifle.
Not very accurate at mid to long range, does lots of damage to shields, but takes a bit for the kill.

Also I hope it moves around automatically so it doesn't promote camping too much.

I hope the opposite.

This spider sentry you've described is now one of the creepiest images I've had in my mind in a while...

I hope it's stationary personally. I do like the idea of a restricted range and it being more about space and territory control than killing.

I also think you should be able to out-sprint the turning radius. So, if you're ahead of it firing at you, you can't out run it. But if you get caught by it, the stopping power slowing down your sprint will get you pegged and you'll take more damage.

Truthfully, I just hope we get to see it soon.

FyreWulff

Can autosentries be nudged by an allied player? (I'm assuming they float like the ones from H3)

If so, someone at 343 should make sure you can't push a flag around by pushing an autosentry into it, much like how you can launch flags with the Anniversary dolls.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Have Auto-Sentries cease functioning/blow up when the person that deploys it dies, that means you can't pull it out of your ass if you're near death hoping to turn the tables and it also means you can't simply put a few down near an objective and walk away.

EvB

Sometimes executive decisions need to be made.

I think it will be an instant deploy. My general idea of it based on the duration of the AA's we've seen is that it will be decently powerful, but it will disappear/combust after about 5-7 seconds.

Agreed that I don't really want to see abilities and weapons playlist restricted (other than the obvious fringe playlists like SWAT). Custom loadouts are going to suck if some of my loadouts are just disabled in a playlist because some ability is not for that playlist.

I'm envisioning it being more of a distraction than anything else, not really doing any major damage, but still enough to put you at a disadvantage should you get caught by it before a 1 on 1 gunfight.

I'm also guessing that it wouldn't deal with multiple enemies either.

u4iX

What are you guys gonna do if MLG doesn't pick it up and there's no playlist? Heh.

The next best league for Halo is probably IPL.

However, the split in Reach's own competitive settings certainly don't help at all either. MLG, CGL, Arena Gaming, TLN, GoldPro, and anyone else who thinks their competitive settings are "better" because their run speed is on 125% instead of 110% only further divides the user base.

I think if multiple leagues pick up Halo 4, the competitive settings have to be standard.

What would be cool, is if 343i hosted the first widespread tournament for Halo with input from competitive communities (not the competitive leagues mind you) on what default gametypes would pair best with the default maps.

Then, 343i hosts the first tournament with widespread coverage on the XBL dashboard, in game notification, and directed users to where they could watch this competitive tournament on default settings.

This would then exemplify to all communities that the game doesn't need to be tweaked to hold competitive viability.

What are you guys gonna do if MLG doesn't pick it up and there's no playlist? Heh.

Yeah lol seems a bit early to be discussing MLG settings, when don't even know if they'll pick up the game.
The next best league for Halo is probably IPL.

However, the split in Reach's own competitive settings certainly don't help at all either. MLG, CGL, Arena Gaming, TLN, GoldPro, and anyone else who thinks their competitive settings are "better" because their run speed is on 125% instead of 110% only further divides the user base.

I think if multiple leagues pick up Halo 4, the competitive settings have to be standard.

What would be cool, is if 343i hosted the first widespread tournament for Halo with input from competitive communities (not the competitive leagues mind you) on what default gametypes would pair best with the default maps.

Then, 343i hosts the first tournament with widespread coverage on the XBL dashboard, in game notification, and directed users to where they could watch this competitive tournament on default settings.

This would then exemplify to all communities that the game doesn't need to be tweaked to hold competitive viability.

We know that there is a tournaments feature coming to Xbox Live in the fall, so I wonder if 343 is planning on hosting tournaments for Halo 4.

FyreWulff

How to maek game video:

Show back angle camera of crowd

Show players playing game in forefront with heavy focus for DOF effect

cut to studio figurehead talking

show more heavy depth-of-field player shot

show crowd from 170 degree angle with low contrast

show person staring at screen

cut to studio figurehead talking again

5 seconds of game

show people again

show computers in dark room

You now owe Waggener Edstrom 10,000$

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
@FyreWulff, You forgot play triumphant music to the point that it just comes as off dopey now while random person says something positive.

Let's.
Instant.
Disagree.
Agree.
I'd put more money on it being weak than good because if it were good enough then imagine a whole team of turrets?
idk if I'd consider HLS a counter to anything really because sure it may block the turret's bullets, but it still leaves you open to the actual player! HLS seems cool, but impractical.
Disagree with HLS because you're using your whole player to counter an AA while the other player just places the turret and shoots you himself. Also, Camo as an AA is starting to seem like it might be either completely useless, or really OP.

>Hardlight Shield
This would be pretty cool :]

Comments in bold

https://twitter.com/MLGSundance/status/228982668656795648

Halo isn't dead yet. We're still trying. Hope halo fans are too.
@MLGSundance
5:38 PM - 27 Jul 12

Not saying it's not a possibility at all, just that we don't know. Personally, I think there are plenty of more things I feel are important to know about the game that we don't know yet than what competitive leagues are interested in using the game and what their settings are going to be like.

MLG's management of Reach doesn't leave me excited for their possible future with Halo 4 to be honest.
Ugh I just want the standard competitive playlist to be whatever stock one 343 puts in. Not gonna happen though.

Yeah I agree. I think if MLG picks up the game that's great, but for matchmaking I think a "Team Hardcore" playlist is a smarter decision.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Not saying it's not a possibility at all, just that we don't know. Personally, I think there are plenty of more things I feel are important to know about the game that we don't know yet than what competitive leagues are interested in using the game and what their settings are going to be like.

MLG's management of Reach doesn't leave me excited for their possible future with Halo 4 to be honest.

Yeah I agree. I think if MLG picks up the game that's great, but for matchmaking I think a "Team Hardcore" playlist is a smarter decision.

Ugh I keep forgetting about Radar. What a piece of junk.

I think that'll be the last wrap-up video I watch in a while. They're essentially for people who don't keep up with main events and want a cool summary. I don't get much out of them.
Yeah, they'd don't feel aimed at me, kind of a marketing summary video.

Cynical, but I find it hard to put faith that Sundance's quotes will amount to much. I think while he'd like to support Halo better, the tweet struck me as something like this.

I think that'll be the last wrap-up video I watch in a while. They're essentially for people who don't keep up with main events and want a cool summary. I don't get much out of them.

Thanks for the game, Elzar and Over. Excellent Warthog action there too, Over. I'm eating right now but if you guys are still on when I'm done I'll get back on.

Yep, send me a message on live when you're back on.

Ugh I keep forgetting about Radar. What a piece of junk.
Well I would assume a Team Hardcore playlist wouldn't have radar, but yeah if you're speaking in general it's not going anywhere. Hell, we know at least 2 perks involve changes/improvements to radar.
You will never have to start with a AR again in Halo 4 ship it.

Picking your starting weapons is unquestionably a good decision in my mind. The fact that the Fragmentation King AR vs BR start was an issue in Halo for 3 damn games is simply incredible, but better late than never on the fix.

wwm0nkey

I don't know what it is but something feels "off" about Halo 3's aiming, not as bad as Reach but there is still something weird there.

Also if I have to play Construct one more fucking time! D:

Talents

Banned

Well I'm not buying Halo 4 anyway 'till the MLG playlist is added, so if they don't pick it up, I won't be buying the game.

Actually, I may buy it if there's a decent ranking system, plus a playlist that has none of the sprint/AA/Recoil/Bloom stuff.

FyreWulff

Someone should tell MLG where the settings in Halo 4 are to set the walk speed to 110%. There, no more trying. Now you can run your tournaments.

Blissful

Neo Member
I just hope they have a ranked and social playlist for Halo 4. None of that "Competitive" and "Community" garbage we have in Reach.

Well I would assume a Team Hardcore playlist wouldn't have radar, but yeah if you're speaking in general it's not going anywhere. Hell, we know at least 2 perks involve changes/improvements to radar.

Picking your starting weapons is unquestionably a good decision in my mind. The fact that the Fragmentation King AR vs BR start was an issue in Halo for 3 damn games is simply incredible, but better late than never on the fix.

Im not sure if the AR is a main starting weapon one can choose. If so then it will be a dead weapon. It would make a better secondary.

I just hope they have a ranked and social playlist for Halo 4. None of that "Competitive" and "Community" garbage we have in Reach.
Prepare to be disappointed then.
Im not sure if the AR is a main starting weapon one can choose. If so then it will be a dead weapon. It would make a better secondary.
AR is a primary. I think we'll all be surprised by how much scrubs roll with it as their primary weapon, most of the Rooster Teeth guys were using AR primary on Longbow (large map) at RTX.

For me, the uses for the weapon will probably be some loadouts with the Firepower perk on, which allows two primary weapons. May have a loadout or two with AR or Storm Rifle secondary.

Even if the AR dies I still think it's a great decision. The AR vs. BR/DMR starts basically created two different games, and not only was it frustrating for the player, but it made playlist management even more of a nightmare than it already is.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Well I'm not buying Halo 4 anyway 'till the MLG playlist is added, so if they don't pick it up, I won't be buying the game.
A new competitive community will rise in it's stead.

THC
DESHI DESHI BASARA BASARA DESHI DESHI BASARA BASARA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom