• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont mind leading shots if there is a clear mathematical formula you must quickly calculate. Otherwise its just fucking luck and whoever plays the game the most to understand when situations work.

If you go into scope and a distance # goes over a players head and there is a clear amount of leading per # then I'm fine with it.

Its the friggen randomness of leading with the BR spread throw a dash of XBLag in, and that is a formula that really fucks H3's shit up.

FyreWulff

I don't care as long as its fun, in Battlefield I love leading my shots, in Halo I would prefer they shoot like lasers even though I am not bad at leading.

Hitscan is fine as long as the weapons are balanced around it. Leading was probably too much for the playerbase to handle. Maybe if they had the magic reticule that Elites get when they're using certain weapons in Reach, people would have liked it more.

If your weapons have spread, then leading works better. If your're on hitscan, weapons should be spreadless. Bloom is optional for letting people trade speed for accuracy, but it isn't needed. You can RoF lock instead.

wwm0nkey

I dont mind leading shots if there is a clear mathematical formula you must quickly calculate. Otherwise its just fucking luck and whoever plays the game the most to understand when situations work.

If you go into scope and a distance # goes over a players head and there is a clear amount of leading per # then I'm fine with it.

Its the friggen randomness of leading with the BR spread throw a dash of XBLag in, and that is a formula that really fucks H3's shit up.

Such a shame too, seriously picture if Halo 3 had hitscan and had no aim acceleration.

I still like Halo 3 but it could have been a fucking beast.

Ramirez

Hitscan is fine as long as the weapons are balanced around it. Leading was probably too much for the playerbase to handle. Maybe if they had the magic reticule that Elites get when they're using certain weapons in Reach, people would have liked it more.

Christ, give me a break dude.

Fuchsdh

The thing that's always gotten me is plasma should travel faster than bullets, and yet Halo treated their speeds in the reverse.

If you were going to require leading, I'd disable the "reticule turns red" feature. The hit markers are more important and the red cursor actively discourages leading.

JHall

They should have never taken the freezing effect off the plasma rifle. It was so useful against an overshield player.

leading shots is dumb... they're bullets, those things move pretty fast!!!

shuddup i already said that.

The thing that's always gotten me is plasma should travel faster than bullets, and yet Halo treated their speeds in the reverse.

If you were going to require leading, I'd disable the "reticule turns red" feature. The hit markers are more important and the red cursor actively discourages leading.

I like this but why is plasma faster than bullets? Aren't bullets more aerodynamic than a glob of whatever. Whats plasma? Heated chemical no?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
leading shots is dumb... they're bullets, those things move pretty fast!!!

Bullets travel really fucking fast. There would be no leading on most of the smaller maps neccesary. The guns in H3 are like paint brushes, you need to swipe all around to get a real hit. Its embarrasing, the whole game was embarassing, please everyone stop bringing up H3.

I hate that we are discussing "realism" but I can assure you guys, even in relatively close range you have to lead your shots on a moving target. Yes, bullets move fast, but there is still travel time plus the movement of your target to take into account.

Jmte

Neo Member
Depends on the density of the plasma. I've always imagined Covenant weapons fire a 'chunk' of heavy plasma.

Do we know if the plasma is stored in the weapon or, as I suspect, it is somehow generated in front of the weapon

Forge is awesome, and Halo 4 is certainly going to bring some welcome improvements , but all this discussion makes me wish for something more...

I am really curious to see what becomes of Bungie's Grognok™. (Yes, they trademarked the name.)

Perhaps it's just an internal tool, or something to license to other game developers, but that UI seems very consumer-friendly to me. Big, clear buttons. Easy to use - the segment in the O Brave New World vidoc this screen is taken from shows them quickly using a stamp tool to place mountains. It seems like a very comprehensive program - do developers normally have one tool with tabs for Objects, Terrain, Map Management, Lighting, Utilities, Audio, and "Help!"?

"Grognok Build 2693 [built today]"
Geometry Brushes - Raise, Flatten, Pinch, Grab, Smooth, Erase
Road Tools - Create Road, Road Brush

These just seem like very simplistic tools for a developer to be using. The fact that this version of Grognok was "built today" makes me think that they're constantly updating and refining the tool - an effort that probably wouldn't be spent on something to only be used internally. (Wouldn't you finish building the tool first and then build the environments?)

Maybe Bungie has built the Destiny engine with user-created content in mind. Maybe they've figured out a way to make the Rock Band Network model work for a console action game.

Maybe I'm just crazy, but a boy can dream. At least I'll have Halo 4 to keep me distracted until Bungie starts talking. (2013?)
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wouldn't have caught it otherwise.

I remember Staten saying that the fans would take it over and make it theirs in the Bungie 20th Anniversary vid. No clue if he was referring to Destiny, but could you imagine if Bungie empowered the community to become world builders with this Grognok toolset?

THAT would be a game changer. Very exciting!

FyreWulff

I hate that we are discussing "realism" but I can assure you guys, even in relatively close range you have to lead your shots on a moving target. Yes, bullets move fast, but there is still travel time plus the movement of your target to take into account.

If you'd really want to see people rage, then you'd model bullet drop as well on the sniper rifle. I always like how the Halo snipers and a couple other guns have the markings/pips for bullet drop but never actually have it :p

edit: AFIAK the only gun in Halo that has ever had bullet drop is the Spiker Rifle in Halo 3.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If you'd really want to see people rage, then you'd model bullet drop as well on the sniper rifle. I always like how the Halo snipers and a couple other guns have the markings/pips for bullet drop but never actually have it :p

edit: AFIAK the only gun in Halo that has ever had bullet drop is the Spiker Rifle in Halo 3.

Rockets drop too don't they? Maybe I'm crazy, or I'm just in super derp mode when I use rockets.

FyreWulff

Rockets drop too don't they? Maybe I'm crazy, or I'm just in super derp mode when I use rockets.

I almost want to say they have a slight drop but I haven't really used them enough recently at-range to remember offhand.

Also not bullets but the Fuel Rod has varying amounts of drop depending on the game.

Fuchsdh

shuddup i already said that.

I like this but why is plasma faster than bullets? Aren't bullets more aerodynamic than a glob of whatever. Whats plasma? Heated chemical no?

Assuming we're going with the idea that Covy plasma weapons are a battery that powers a device that creates and shapes plasma (which makes sense since that's how the ship weapons seem to work)--the idea is that Covenant weapons are much similar to particle beam weapons than "this fires a glob of plasma". The fact that there's a beam rifle suggests this to be the case.

Current problems with plasma weapons is that it would dissipate rapidly over short distances in an atmosphere. So they either form a sort of vacuum "pre-shot" so that the dissipation isn't an issue, or you make the projectiles travel super fast so it's not an issue.

So it's not set in stone, but I'd say what we know of Covy tech suggests it should travel faster than its game representation.

EDIT: I should point out that the Covenant space ships don't seem to use the same tech--they're more like guided missiles, where destroying the magnetic thingamajigs on their turrets dissipates the plasma, and atmospheres likewise cause the plasma to become harmless. (I think Cole uses this as a strategic option, or Cortana in First Strike--skirting a gas giant to make the weapons useless.)

FyreWulff

Assuming we're going with the idea that Covy plasma weapons are a battery that powers a device that creates and shapes plasma (which makes sense since that's how the ship weapons seem to work)--the idea is that Covenant weapons are much similar to particle beam weapons than "this fires a glob of plasma". The fact that there's a beam rifle suggests this to be the case.

Current problems with plasma weapons is that it would dissipate rapidly over short distances in an atmosphere. So they either form a sort of vacuum "pre-shot" so that the dissipation isn't an issue, or you make the projectiles travel super fast so it's not an issue.

So it's not set in stone, but I'd say what we know of Covy tech suggests it should travel faster than its game representation.

EDIT: I should point out that the Covenant space ships don't seem to use the same tech--they're more like guided missiles, where destroying the magnetic thingamajigs on their turrets dissipates the plasma, and atmospheres likewise cause the plasma to become harmless. (I think Cole uses this as a strategic option, or Cortana in First Strike--skirting a gas giant to make the weapons useless.)

Don't even get me started on how the Needler works. I assume that's just magic.

I think you're right in both cases, but the more extreme example is Cole and the Everest in the Battle of Psi Serpentis. The Covenant ships use magnetic technology to guide and hold together their plasma shots. In Cole's case (and in Cortana's I'm assuming), it was the extreme magnetosphere of the gas giant that caused the plasma shots to veer off in unpredictable directions and dissipate.

A new competitive community will rise in it's stead.

THC
DESHI DESHI BASARA BASARA DESHI DESHI BASARA BASARA
DISH DISH WASH THEM WASH THEM

My word the difference in quality going from monitor speakers to 5.1 surround sound is enormous. You have a deep base in your grenades and the like, and the difference in quality in the menu music is fantastic.
Yes, the difference is astounding. Reach has amazing sound mixing that can only be fully appreciated in 5.1.

Ooh, I've been thinking about making the same upgrade lately. If anyone could recommend me some 5.1 systems, that'd be awesome. I know next to nothing about this stuff.
I'm using this set and I'm very happy with it, but it has no HDMI input. I'm using the optical out on my TV and PC and it sounds great.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Whaaaaaa?
1JZFu.gif

Fuchsdh

I think you're right in both cases, but the more extreme example is Cole and the Everest in the Battle of Psi Serpentis. The Covenant ships use magnetic technology to guide and hold together their plasma shots. In Cole's case (and in Cortana's I'm assuming), it was the extreme magnetosphere of the gas giant that caused the plasma shots to veer off in unpredictable directions and dissipate.

Ah I think that's what I was thinking of, thanks.

At the very least hitscan Covenant and human weapons seems like a good idea. The reason the Plasma Repeater was so bad was it was a less accurate AR. Without the Invasion Elite aid it was absolutely horrible, even if it looked cool.

Don't even get me started on how the Needler works. I assume that's just magic.

That gave me an idea for a FUD article :)

darthbob

Quality in CoD maps especially MW3 is dreadful. Price is also pretty steep.

Halo 3 had them beat on both the quality and price of the maps. Hell id say even reach did.

Quite.

I wasn't trying to make a point that the CoD way of map packs are good, it's just that it's financially successful, and has managed to get other games to do similar.

Seriously though, CoD packs are horrible value and in terms of quality, pathetic.

Quite.

I wasn't trying to make a point that the CoD way of map packs are good, it's just that it's financially successful, and has managed to get other games to do similar.

Seriously though, CoD packs are horrible value and in terms of quality, pathetic.

Let's throw out MW3 here, don't have the game, not sure how the DLC works.

MW2 and Blops gave you 5 maps for $15. That is $3 a map. Halo gives you 3 maps for $10. $3.33 a map. And those COD maps always show in MM and the Halo ones never do.

How is that a horrible value?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

MW2 and Blops gave you 5 maps for $15. That is $3 a map. Halo gives you 3 maps for $10. $3.33 a map. And those COD maps always show in MM and the Halo ones never do.

You can't discount MW3 even though you don't have it, many others do, and most of the maps suck or are "duel" maps.

Also, the issue of not getting maps in Halo is a population issue mostly.

darthbob

I mentioned it already, but when half of those maps (2/5, 3/5 depending) are remakes of old maps with different lighting. It's more like 2 or 3 new maps for $15.

I disregard the MM argument becuase at least in my opinion, that doesn't factor into my perception of value.

You can't discount MW3 even though you don't have it, many others do, and most of the maps suck or are "duel" maps.

Also, the issue of not getting maps in Halo is a population issue mostly.

Okay I just looked up the DLC for MW3.
Collection 1: 4 MP maps, 2 spec op missions, $15.
Collection 2: 3 MP maps, 2 spec op mission, 2 face-off maps, $15.

Those both seem like fair deals for a good amount of content. They've also released 2 face-off maps and a MP map for free.

The issue with Halo DLC not showing is apparently the adoption rate of DLC owners is very small, I don't think it's like that in COD, considering it has no issue matching you will people that also have DLC virtually every time even in playlists with <1000 people in it.

I don't see how DLC showing up in MM is not a huge part of the value of the DLC. Not only is COD DLC just as good, and usually better monetary value than Halo, but they have the added value of being in matchmaking.
I mentioned it already, but when half of those maps (2/5, 3/5 depending) are remakes of old maps with different lighting. It's more like 2 or 3 new maps for $15.

I disregard the MM argument becuase at least in my opinion, that doesn't factor into my perception of value.

Halo maps have had plenty of remakes in DLC, and there was only one remake in the Blops DLC packs, and it was on a completely different location/aesthetic. At the end of the day for me, maps are maps to play on, regardless of if they are remakes are not.

You're free that have that option about MM not being a part of your perception of value, but can I ask why? Most of us have MM as the overwhelming majority of our time with any MP featuring AAA game, DLC being a part of matchmaking or not is the number 1 reason for purchasing DLC personally. Without that I don't see much value to the maps. I regret purchasing Noble and Defiant map packs. They were not worth the money because I've rarely played them in MM.

Halo has remakes in their DLC sometimes. People want the classics in their new games. It happens. They still count.

MW3 dlc maps are bad though. But so are reach dlc maps so idk where i'm going with that.

For real. I'm bout to delete my DLC from Reach its so bad.

If your weapons have spread, then leading works better. If your're on hitscan, weapons should be spreadless. Bloom is optional for letting people trade speed for accuracy, but it isn't needed. You can RoF lock instead.
That's great and all, except these games aren't played exclusively on LAN. In halo 3, you had to lead your shots based on distance and then make a wild guess based on lag. Hitscan forever, please.

Overdoziz

Banned
For real. I'm bout to delete my DLC from Reach its so bad.
You definitely should. I deleted the Noble and Defiant map packs and it's great not having to play on Tempest or Anchor 9 ever again. I'm considering removing the Anniversary maps too because I never want to run into them outside of the Anniversary playlists. Jetpacks on Battle Canyon, smh

Enfinit

4v4 TU Slayer Boardwalk

+15

two teammates AFK for most of the game

fourth teammate playing whole time goes -17

highest rank besides me is General

why

MPCf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom