• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs PC Performance Thread

Derrick01

Banned
Benchmark said I'd get something like 70+ fps on average, lows of 40. Seems on main streets it's constantly on the low end.

Also, after a few hours a weird problem developed where driving fast makes the view shake. It happens on the map too.

In game benchmarks are always garbage in my experience. This one told me I averaged 59.5fps and I was frequently in the mid 40s out in the city.

gdt

In game benchmarks are always garbage in my experience. This one told me I averaged 59.5fps and I was frequently in the mid 40s out in the city.

Yeah, my BM came in a little high too. I get 50-60 in the city though. AA was the major hit, had to lower it from high to normal. Driving lowers the fps to 40 ish.

x3sphere

2560x1600 bench, HD7970 (stock) and i7 920 3ghz

641fbd9e12b77d47b34fc32f68f7d5c29ef440d5.jpg

My 690 can't even handle the extreme AA setting without averaging 32 FPS. On high I average 61 FPS. It's a very nice looking game.

I got vsync to stop hitching by capping the framerate at 60fps with Afterburner in addition to using vsync. Capping it without vsync results in some slow tearing, but using both remedies that.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
All I did was change the AA from Extreme, to High then to Normal.

Sapphire ATI 7970 3GB
16 GB Ram
i7-2600k 3.4Ghz

VdkMn.jpg

CxcJx.jpg

zTxw6.jpg

Tain

Nothing too shocking, here:

benchedsuo.png

good to know the exact details on my custom resolution's refresh rate, though, lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ran benchmarks of the three anti-aliasing options. All other settings maxed out, vsync off.

sleep11ns6o.jpg

Smash88

Banned
i7 2600k bottleneck? Dont think so :p

He never said bottlenecked, just he is limited to the speed he set his CPU at, which is very low for someone with a 2600k.

A bottleneck would affect his systems performance overall, because of one key (usually) component lacking behind more advanced hardware.

KyleN

Banned
He never said bottlenecked, just he is limited to the speed he set his CPU at, which is very low for someone with a 2600k.

A bottleneck would affect his systems performance overall, because of one key (usually) component lacking behind more advanced hardware.

2600k at stock clocks is more than enough, just saying.

Sethos

Banned
2600k at stock clocks is more than enough, just saying.

You really don't understand it, do you? It is possible for a hardware component to hamper overall performance in certain games, no matter how powerful they are. The 2600k can easily be maxed out in a few games, same with most CPUs. Doesn't mean it's an overall system bottleneck. My 3930k at 4.7 has bottlenecked me a few times in certain games.

KyleN

Banned
You really don't understand it, do you? It is possible for a hardware component to hamper overall performance in certain games, no matter how powerful they are. The 2600k can easily be maxed out in a few games, same with most CPUs. Doesn't mean it's an overall system bottleneck. My 3930k at 4.7 has bottlenecked me a few times in certain games.

Sleeping dogs never goes above 50% cpu usage with stock clocks. So overclocking it would make zero diffrence.
And you must be running multiple gpus to get bottleneck with that cpu.

Sethos

Banned
Sleeping dogs never goes above 50% cpu usage with stock clocks. So overclocking it would make zero diffrence.
And you must be running multiple gpus to get bottleneck with that cpu.

overall CPU usage is irrelevant, it's looking for one single overused core - That's going to hold back the rest of the CPU calls. However I wasn't joining the argument in terms of Sleeping Dogs as I don't know how CPU dependant it is ( However, free roam game tends to be ) but merely to point out to you that a 2600k isn't some magical CPU that will never be maxed. It's easy to hit a CPU roof in a handful of games.

I got vsync to stop hitching by capping the framerate at 60fps with Afterburner in addition to using vsync. Capping it without vsync results in some slow tearing, but using both remedies that.
I can't believe I've never heard of the Afterburner cap method before. It works like a charm.

Thanks for the tip ;)

Though the overall performance is quite good, this game certainly does have a few quirks. My frame rate dropped as low as 35 while driving around during the day but then at night it was 60 the entire time. Then there's the occasional stutters despite being at 60fps... Can't really tell what's doing it.

All in all, loving the game and the performance.

calder

Kind of late but if anyone is wondering about low-mid range cards:

i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz
12G ram
2GB Radeon 7770

I found this the best mix of setting for decent, steady performance. The quality AA especially knocked my average FPS down a fair bit, I'm fine without it. May try turning on the high quality motion blur, didn't notice any blurring yet as I'm early in the game really so no idea if it's worth enabling.

Crub

High-res textures are not working for me. I have downloaded the Hi-Res Texture Pack from Steam but I still can't enable it in-game. Anyone got a solution to this?

I have a 560ti btw.

calder

High-res textures are not working for me. I have downloaded the Hi-Res Texture Pack from Steam but I still can't enable it in-game. Anyone got a solution to this?

I have a 560ti btw.
Was it the first time you played after installing? When I first installed the game and launched it the high res textures weren't an option, even though Steam said the pack was installed it wasn't. I had to exit and restart steam which made it actually d/l the rather large update

I have a 560ti btw.

You're positive you downloaded the hi-res pack? I had to restart Steam in order to make the hi-res textures download. Try that.

EDIT: Oh, and please tell me there is a way to get rid of that annoying shaky cam while driving. PLEASE.

Crub

Tried restarting Steam, but no dice. I guess the texture pack wasn't downloaded properly.

Oh well, reinstalling the whole thing now.

Is there any way to uninstall and re-download dlc? I couldn't find it.

If you download hd texture and it hasn't installed verify game data will also fix that
Right, that's probably what I should have done. x)

Edit: Reinstalled the whole game. Reinstalled the texture pack. Verified the files. Still doesn't work. :(

On the texture packs store page it says "Play Now", indicating I have indeed downloaded it.

Does the high res textures automatically download if you download to a second computer? I downloaded it at work but when I got home, the download size was much bigger.

LiK

wow, i cannot change my graphics settings anymore. it doesn't seem to save it even tho i click to save the settings...it keeps defaulting to AA as Normal and everything else as High.

Crub

Was able to force the texture pack through the settings file. Changes in graphic setting not taking effect seems to be a common issue with the latest patch, according to the Steam Forums.

LiK

ok, looks like i can switch AA to High but if i change the other settings below to Normal, it also makes the AA go Normal as well when i save. freakin' weird. hope they fix this, lol

JohngPR

Does it keep the previous settings you have?

I think I pretty much have my settings where I want them so I'm hoping it doesn't mess with them.

mxgt

Banned
Anyone else running SLI only getting 65-70% GPU usage?

Kind of annoying, runs at 60+fps maxed at 1440p with normal AA but it starts to chug if I put it higher.

OK,

I've just took a risk and bought the PC version of this to run on my 17" MBP. Couldn't wait to get a 360 version delivered.

It's got a 6750M in it. I'm guessing from the specs I should be able to run mid-specs at 720p ok?

I'm also guessing not worth bothering downloading the high def texture pack?

LiK

OK,

I've just took a risk and bought the PC version of this to run on my 17" MBP. Couldn't wait to get a 360 version delivered.

It's got a 6750M in it. I'm guessing from the specs I should be able to run mid-specs at 720p ok?

grab the texture pack. makes it look nicer. it's a toggle in the options so if the textures slow down your,rig, you can turn it off easily.

Anyone got a Geforce 9800GT could tell me what the benchmarks for this game is for that particular card? I am in the process of upgrading to a better one soon but would like to know anyhow :)

gdt

OK,

Get the texture pack, turn down AA, and maybe shadows if you need to. You'll be fine.

grab the texture pack. makes it look nicer. it's a toggle in the options so if the textures slow down your,rig, you can turn it off easily.

Cool, Might as well give it a go now. Once it's downloaded from Steam I'll post my benchmarks for other Mac/Laptop users.

Thinking about getting this game, I'm sure my computer can run it but I'm curious what you guys think I can expect as far as what I'd have to set the settings to and framerate. It's a laptop:

i7-2630QM
1GB Radeon HD 6770M
6GB DDR3 RAM
1920x1080

If no one's sure, how would performance compare to the PC ports of SR3 or GTA4? (Since those are similar games that ran very well on my computer at relatively high settings).

Levyne

Banned
Thinking about getting this game, I'm sure my computer can run it but I'm curious what you guys think I can expect as far as what I'd have to set the settings to and framerate. It's a laptop:

i7-2630QM
1GB Radeon HD 6770M
6GB DDR3 RAM
1920x1080

If no one's sure, how would performance compare to the PC ports of SR3 or GTA4? (Since those are similar games that ran very well on my computer at relatively high settings).

It looks like N Monk (posts above me) will do a benchmark to help us laptop guys.

Top Bottom