• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Ryaaan14

Banned
If it never comes back in any form, no tears will be shed.

Because on paper it's a great idea, in execution it failed. I think they're probably aware of this, and have a way to fix it. Of course I have nothing to support this theory. I won't care one way or another, although I am VERY open to new big team gametypes since BTB is a crock of shit in it's current form. Has been a crock of shit since halfway through Halo 3.

Agree on the first two. I think the answer to the second is, Infinity Slayer. It's the mode that is set up to fully implement all of the new systems (armor mods, ordnance drops, personal ordnance) and I am expecting to be the most popular playlist.

What I want to see is: what are the returning game types, and how are they updated?

We know the Oddball and bomb carriers can pass the ball/bomb to others, and they can catch it. We knew the flag carrier holds the flag in one hand and gets a magnum in the other. What else is going on? What new game types are there?

My wish list:

A proper Forge and Theater reveal. Video rendering, party viewing, the works. What are the other Forge environments? How flexible are they in terms of space and objects?

(And with that, I'm off to work. On Sunday. Oy.)
I think PAX Prime is the perfect event for showing mainy stuff which used by the most communities: Theater, Forge and community-favorite Gametypes like BTB, CTF etc. We saw already some differences at Comic-Con, so I am expecting the "unveil" should not be far away. And I hope a Spartan Ops mission which will show off a more open sandbox gameplay.

On the other hand it looks like I am not going to participate the Pre-GAF meet up. Someone *cough* rukizzel *cough* invited me to a BBQ. But I am in for every other GAF meet-up during PAX. :) And especially in the morning before the Expo Hall opens, so we can run to Halo 4 together in a giant group.

Gazzawa

Because on paper it's a great idea, in execution it failed. I think they're probably aware of this, and have a way to fix it. Of course I have nothing to support this theory. I won't care one way or another, although I am VERY open to new big team gametypes since BTB is a crock of shit in it's current form. Has been a crock of shit since halfway through Halo 3.

Yeah this. I liked it but I wont miss it. At the end of the day it was just team objective with AR starts and so much Rollin Limp BiZkit couldnt get a look in.

Fuchsdh

Yeah this. I liked it but I wont miss it. At the end of the day it was just team objective with AR starts and so much Rollin Limp BiZkit couldnt get a look in.

I think that's part of the problem. Invasion sort of had a sweet spot where you had a good variety of loadouts and some more interesting movement, but the beginning was the attackers throwing themselves into a hail of automatic weapon fire, and the final phase was attackers throwing themselves into a hail of every power weapon possible.

Part of the issue was maps--at least the Forged ones add variety. The other issues, however, I think were systemic. While I love Invasion and it's a blast to play with a party, I think it unfortunately never reached its potential, and I have no idea how you could "fix" it without rethinking it entirely.

Agree on the first two. I think the answer to the second is, Infinity Slayer. It's the mode that is set up to fully implement all of the new systems (armor mods, ordnance drops, personal ordnance) and I am expecting to be the most popular playlist.

What I want to see is: what are the returning game types, and how are they updated?

We know the Oddball and bomb carriers can pass the ball/bomb to others, and they can catch it. We knew the flag carrier holds the flag in one hand and gets a magnum in the other. What else is going on? What new game types are there?

My wish list:

A proper Forge and Theater reveal. Video rendering, party viewing, the works. What are the other Forge environments? How flexible are they in terms of space and objects?

(And with that, I'm off to work. On Sunday. Oy.)

Infinity Slayer slipped my mind. That's definitely the flagship mode. But 343 hinted at exciting new gametypes/game modes awhile back. I hope we get to see those at PAX.

I think we'll see the second Forge environment at PAX, and they'll hold the third off for a future date.

Here's my speculative information release schedule:

August:
- Non-OST music reveal
- PAX Reveals: new multiplayer map, second Forge map, Theater/Community reveal (Community as in File Share, etc.)
- Multiplayer Vidoc (at PAX)

September:
- PAX Wrap Up
- Challenges/Custom Challenges
- Covenant Arsenal revealed
- Start weekly multiplayer map reveals
- Third and final Forge map

October:
- Forerunner Arsenal revealed
- Forward Unto Dawn movie
- New vehicles
- Weekly multiplayer map reveals (all remaining multiplayer maps revealed)

CyReN

August:
- Non-OST music reveal
- PAX Reveals: new multiplayer map, second Forge map, Theater/Community reveal (Community as in File Share, etc.)

September:
- PAX Wrap Up
- New multiplayer map

October:
- New vehicles

This would be ideal, but at this rate we will have more OXM article covering RTX and OXM Ryan saying there's a big surprise and it will be Neil Davidge working on H4 music..

...save me.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Part of the issue was maps--at least the Forged ones add variety. The other issues, however, I think were systemic. While I love Invasion and it's a blast to play with a party, I think it unfortunately never reached its potential, and I have no idea how you could "fix" it without rethinking it entirely.

Maps are 99% of the problem. By creating maps for the game to support Invasion, you get maps that work for the gametype and function mediocre at best, let's be honest, and then in turn they don't provide good BTB play. They should have exclusively used Forge maps from the get-go (grey etc etc), and let the BTB maps truly be BTB maps. Instead we get some of the messiest large maps ever put in a Halo game.

Homeboyd

I believe it was his body of work...
To be fair, he actually had a mod come in here specifically to tell HIM to rethink the way he posts... Probably should've listened. If he requested the self-ban, really? No self-control whatsoever?

What could you really do in 10 minutes in Forge, even if it truly is a great step forward in usability?
It would just be nice to see all the new environments (or at least one more) as well as the extended palette they've added.

Nothing beats using a full team of 8 Elites in H3 BTB, driving Warthogs, cappin' flags!

WZ0cB.jpg
Just realized this was screenshotted on 1/17/08

wwm0nkey

Infinity Slayer slipped my mind. That's definitely the flagship mode. But 343 hinted at exciting new gametypes/game modes awhile back. I hope we get to see those at PAX.

I think we'll see the second Forge environment at PAX, and they'll hold the third off for a future date.

August:
- Non-OST music reveal

September:
- PAX Wrap Up
- New multiplayer map

October:
- New vehicles
What about the Groups feature that was mentioned on Expertzone? :)

This would be ideal, but at this rate we will have more OXM article covering RTX and OXM Ryan saying there's a big surprise and it will be Neil Davidge working on H4 music..

...save me.

Actually, I expect the weekly multiplayer map reveals to start in September. There's a ton of information to release. The info train will arrive at PAX. Destination: Hype.

What about the Groups feature that was mentioned on Expertzone? :)

This is news to me. Sounds like the perfect information for the multiplayer Vidoc.

On the other hand it looks like I am not going to participate the Pre-GAF meet up. Someone *cough* rukizzel *cough* invited me to a BBQ. But I am in for every other GAF meet-up during PAX. :) And especially in the morning before the Expo Hall opens, so we can run to Halo 4 together in a giant group.

Jelly! I want to see what passes for BBQ in Seattle.

If it never comes back in any form, no tears will be shed.
You never get to fully experience the awesomeness of Invasion till you get banshee-camped for the whole third tier.

In all seriousness, the addition of perks and mods would make for an awesome and more inmersive invasionesque experience.

Invasion is also very competive and tactical, I cry everytime someone compares it to zombies or whatever...

wwm0nkey

I'm still a little dubious about that...

Don't see why they would list it on an official Microsoft retail site which sole purpose is to make sure retail employees can sell the games, no info in any of the other quizzes for other games has ever been wrong.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

August:
- Non-OST music reveal

September:
- PAX Wrap Up
- Start weekly multiplayer map reveals

October:
- New vehicles

November
- Halo 4 releases

December
- World ends

Fixed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, the reveals I'm most anticipating are:
- Ranking system.
- Clan/group support.
- New MP maps.
- Spartan Ops customization.
- The BTB "Invasion replacement" gametype they've been teasing.

I don't want to see any Promethean vehicles before launch. I want the :-O factor to stay pure.

Computron

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that the world is supposed to end at the end of this year.

Well, I may as well just get the standard edition seeing as the DLC wont be coming out.

IHaveIce

Banned
Did we get told all the multiplayer maps before previous Halo's were realeased? Can't remember.

I think I knew all of Reach's maps before launch, but I don't know if it was because of leaks.

leaks.. Good point, some people had reach around late august on their JTAG's, do you think it will happen again?

I hope PAX will cover some good stuff, hopefully a ranking system.

Don't see why they would list it on an official Microsoft retail site which sole purpose is to make sure retail employees can sell the games, no info in any of the other quizzes for other games has ever been wrong.

That article said 10 new weapons and 2 new vehicles, right?

Weapons:
  1. Sticky Detonator
  2. SAW
  3. Railgun
  4. Storm Rifle
  5. Light Rifle
  6. Scattershot
  7. Boltshot
  8. Surpressor
  9. Forerunner Sniper
  10. Forerunner Rocket?

Vehicles:
  1. Mammoth
  2. Mech
Hopefully they're not counting some of these though like the Mech as a vehicle.

I don't want to see any Promethean vehicles before launch. I want the :-O factor to stay pure.

Same with Campaign for me and that Mech. Spoiling that Reach Sabre reveal was disappointing.. Imagine playing that for the first time and not knowing you're about to blast off into space in a frikkin Star Wars space battle??

Karl2177

I think it's quite interesting how before Halo 3's release, there was an anticipation to see the details of enemy weapons and vehicles(in regards to what the Brutes brought to the table). Now for Halo 4, almost everyone wants the Promethean arsenal to be a relative mystery. I wonder if it is because we feel that we have been spoiled too much for previous games or if it is because the Prometheans aren't Covenant. They're something completely new, and not rehashed.

Just a suggestion in order to allow the final remaining new weapon slot to be filled by something unique: maybe the Golf Club is returning with Gravity Hammer-like function, but will only be used in Grifball and similar gametypes that require it as a replacement.

FyreWulff

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that the world is supposed to end at the end of this year.

Well, I may as well just get the standard edition seeing as the DLC wont be coming out.

Why else do you think they're pre-selling the DLC with the Wargames pass? They'll only be able to get the first pack out before the world ends.

Invasion doesn't need a replacement. It is just a shitty version of BTB.
How about a medium sized map with a multi-objective gametype suitable for Halo 4?
*Just an idea I made up* 500 pts to win -
Make your way to obtain enemy territories to unlock your ordnance meter. Once unlocked you gain access for your team to obtain ordnance weapons after kill requirements met. And If your territory gets captured, you Lose your access to ordnance weapons.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Where did they mention this?
I don't think 343 has explicitly said "Invasion replacement", but they've been heavily hinting at some new BTB gametype that will scratch a similar itch. The impression I've got is that it will be 343's new flagship gametype for BTB, like Infinity Slayer is to 5v5. People have been speculating that it's objective based, and that one of those leaked pics (from Barngate, I think?) showed off some of the HUD / waypoint markers that may be used in the gametype.

Edit : I think Invasion is an awesome idea, but it was ruined by a few things:
- Bad spawn system.
- Bad maps.
- Bad vehicles.
- Bloom.
- Armor Lock.
- No precision weapons for Elites in phase one.

Conor 419

Banned
I would have loved a 32 player mode in Quad, Mega Team Battle or something. Clearly not possible this generation though, I hope we get it next generation.

wwm0nkey

I would have loved a 32 player mode in Quad, Mega Team Battle or something. Clearly not possible this generation though, I hope we get it next generation.

I really don't think 32 player Halo would be as fun as people think it would be. Now if it was set up like Battlefield or something then maybe.

Top Bottom