• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

FyreWulff

Hey FFXI did so its possible but unlikely.

Only MMOs are allowed to have keyboard input in-game under MS regs. Only Nintendo and Sony allow KBAM for game input.

Which is funny if you consider that Western companies were responsible for popularizing gaming with keyboards.

FyreWulff

Dammit Microsoft :(

Yeah, their walled garden approach is grating sometimes. All 3 have some form it.. but.. you could easily make a cross platform game across PS3/PC/Wii(U) but then you get hit with MS's double whammy of "Xbox players only play Xbox players" and "We won't license your game if it has exclusive features on the other consoles". Sony won't let you release a PS3 game after a 360 version if it doesn't have some sort of exclusive DLC. Microsoft basically won't let you release a 360 version after a PS3 version. Nintendo mostly just cares that the game doesn't set the Wii on fire.

feel

Off-Topic but how many of you here are going to get Counter Strike GO this Wednesday? It has dedicated servers, spectator mode and its heavily skill based and I need people to play it with.
Already preordered on PC, most of my main online friends jumped to PC gaming and have it preordered there too so I have people to play with on the regular. Might double dip if a lot of my xbox friends get it.

Beta is really good, such pure and timeless gameplay style prettier than ever. Completely embarrasses all the ironsights/sprint/perk shit games that are supposed to pass by good online games nowadays.

zap

Yeah, their walled garden approach is grating sometimes. All 3 have some form it.. but.. you could easily make a cross platform game across PS3/PC/Wii(U) but then you get hit with MS's double whammy of "Xbox players only play Xbox players" and "We won't license your game if it has exclusive features on the other consoles". Sony won't let you release a PS3 game after a 360 version if it doesn't have some sort of exclusive DLC. Microsoft basically won't let you release a 360 version after a PS3 version. Nintendo mostly just cares that the game doesn't set the Wii on fire.

Imagine KB+M users destroying the rest of players who are using dual analog sticks. I'm ok with no KB+M.

Imagine KB+M users destroying the rest of players who are using dual analog sticks. I'm ok with no KB+M.
The idea back when they were thinking of having cross platform play (and I guess will be tested in the PS3 version) is that the matchmaking will mix them both together, and if one ends up overtaking the other then they'll just naturally be matched at a higher plateau once the dust has settled. If someone manages to be good with a controller enough to go neck and neck with KB+M people then great, but if not they get sectioned off by performance in the end regardless of input method.

wwm0nkey

The best player is never me so yeah.

I must rely on the other guy being a bigger idiot than me. This is how I play all my games.
I can foresee a lot of CoD kids jumping on and screaming that they can't use iron sights, you should be good for a week until they learn lol

raindoc

Do you guys have/know of any official information on whether or not 343I plans on shipping the dubbed international versions including the original english audio?

zap

Do you guys have/know of any official information on whether or not 343I plans on shipping the dubbed international versions including the original english audio?

No idea, but if it is on two discs, there may be enough space for it to be feasible? I'm not sure.

raindoc

No idea, but if it is on two discs, there may be enough space for it to be feasible? I'm not sure.

that's what i thought. or they could do it the ME3 way and offer the original sound files as a free download via XBL.
i'd really like to know what's up - i'd prefer to preorder the regional version, simply because i can pick that up on day one. but if that's only in german, i'd preorder the UK import. i'm done with "cheap" out-of-context 3rd party translations...

u said that about TF Fuck demo and biocock 2.
There'll be no more lies from u young man?
why wuz zoojoo band ?

Too much posting, not enough relevance I guess?

Also, I'm probably gonna get the DLC that tops your rank up about another 10 levels on BS2.

Although, I admit, TF demo, seems very dumbed down, will give the game a chance however.

Did you wanna do the H3 campaign run through in October? I have Myyke, and Krow, you can be our 4th.

Myyke

Neo Member
u said that about TF Fuck demo and biocock 2.
There'll be no more lies from u young man?
why wuz zoojoo band ?

I think I managed to literally beat the enjoyment out of him through my use of aircraft mode boost + melee in the Transformers demo.

Shadders

http://www.x360magazine.com/comment/halo-more-realistic-than-you-think/

Halo 4 is taking the Master Chief on another grand adventure, but how seriously can we take Halo’s sci-fi? We ask the experts for answers…

Sci-fi or reality?
Given that Halo is a series about space – playing in space, exploring space, toying with space fiction – the biggest surprise is just how grounded the combat has been, besides allowing Master Chief to jump higher owing to the gravity.

Halo: Reach was the first game to change that, allowing you to blast off into space and then turning the FPS gameplay on its head with actual space combat.

Swooping and diving, barrel-rolling out of the way, firing lasers at other spacecraft, it was new territory for the long-established series.

But even though Halo is clearly based on fantasy, unless there’s a real Master Chief protecting the galaxy from threats (there isn’t, by the way), then the question remains – is this realistic? How close to possible reality is this scene?

“The launch position of the pilots is very similar to the position of all past and existing launch vehicles, so no problems there,” explains Mark Hempsell of Reaction Engines Ltd, talking about the actual launch shown off in the scene.

“The overall spacecraft design clearly does not use our current technology so my comments on the design are that it is a fantasy vehicle so it would always be possible to ‘invent’ some future technology that makes that design logical, but with what we have now it is nonsense.”

Fair enough. What we’re more interesting in is the diving, the swooping, the barrel-rolling. Surely that can’t be real? “As with all such programmes – and I go back to Elite on the BBC – they have followed the Stars Wars model of aerial combat,” continues Hempsell.

“I think Star Wars was the first to portray this model for space combat and they actual superimposed their star fighters on World War Two dogfight footage, which is why they pull aerodynamic lift in the vacuum of space. In reality, spacecraft dogfighting will not be like portrayed because no aerodynamic forces means manoeuvres will look different, as every manoeuvre will cost propellant, it is unlikely it could be sustained for long, and orbital mechanics means the spacecraft would constantly be drifting apart especially at the relative speeds shown.

A final point is that my guess is if you have spacecraft that advanced, the weapons would be similarly advanced so dogfighting would never occur, its a little like modern warships fighting with cutlasses and sabres – good fun though!”

Has there been a game that's done space combat "right"?

raindoc

I remember the terror brought on by that MAV.

SMH.

i got killed by a MAV maybe 2 or 3 times, they're so easy to shoot down, especially when coming straight for you. never understood the outrage.

demanding advanced weapons and in the same breath suggesting the continuing use of limited "propellant"?

i quote the internet: "umad?"

But you tell that to the randoms on BF3. I've never seen an online population as clueless as they are, this generation.

clueless nails it. no situational awareness, ignoring the minimap, preferring random spread over controllable recoil... smh

Personally I like the naval combat aesthetic of Star Trek more, but depending on how you look at it that's even more ridiculous.

i prefer the hectic capital ships and fighter combat seen in star wars, or ME3 (i love that cutscene prior to the battle in london), for entertainment purposes.
hell, the one game i'd love to see refurbished for current or next-gen consoles (or PC, i don't care) would be Lucasart's TIE Fighter (or a successor).
imagine the scale of space battles that would be possible now. imagine the battle of endor, playable, as a 1:1 copy of what we see in the movie!

i got killed by a MAV maybe 2 or 3 times, they're so easy to shoot down, especially when coming straight for you. never understood the outrage.

Oh, I agree, when Myyke and sometime Over, used their MAV against me, all I did was duck, and shoot it as it came back towards me. Or used a lock on rocket, when it used to be flying in the air.

But you tell that to the randoms on BF3. I've never seen an online population as clueless as they are, this generation.

Fuchsdh

WW is the only 3D Zelda I really like. All the others have some sort of unforgivable flaw(s) that make it hard for me to enjoy. Barren over worlds, annoying babysitter sidekicks, crappy camera controls, etc.

2D Zelda is where the true beauty of the franchise lies. Zelda 1, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Minish Cap -- all better than any of the 3D titles.

I've never enjoyed the 3D titles as much as the 2D ones. Link's Awakening is hands-down my favorite Zelda, and I've got good memories of playing Oracle of Seasons/Ages--the link cable/password functionality of those games was pretty amazing.

Not to my knowledge. Real space combat would be a bunch of ships painted black shooting missiles at each other from tens of thousands of kilometers away. That's boring.

Personally I like the naval combat aesthetic of Star Trek more, but depending on how you look at it that's even more ridiculous.

Striker

It wasnt blackballed, there was performance issues and it was pulled from matchmaking
It got pulled because on the 360, users having the camo cause some framerate problems. They, instead of pulling Camo out of the map, removed the entire thing.

There was the same issue in Colossus when they did Ninja CTF (flag carrier was invisible) when played on the 360. It had emulation issues, but they had ways around them. They simply did not execute them properly.

Too many bad memories of Coagulation with SMG starts for years clouding my judgement

Halo 2 DA BEST
I see you bitch, or try to be a comedian, about everything. Is there a game in the series you do like, and a multiplayer? If so I hadn't seen it.

I would be ALL OVER this. A gulch/gorge/canyon map has to return for H4 in some way and the layout of Valhalla works well.It maybe make it a bit easier to use vehicles(large map more space to drive on) but the higher centre hill and such make Valhalla great.
The hill was the reason the map turned into a middle hill-base cross-fire 99% of the time. Another repeated topic, but that's fine. If there's a middle hill it needs to be flattened and spread across the entire canyon/valley. Containment did it ten times better, and somehow got Scorpions to work in the map. Also it was pretty narrow. Weapons that perform better than the Halo 3 BR would make the map more frustrating to navigate since it was never large, or had tons of places to go to, anyways.

Shadders

Not to my knowledge. Real space combat would be a bunch of ships painted black shooting missiles at each other from tens of thousands of kilometers away. That's boring.

Ever played Kerbal Space Program? Something like that would be interesting, the constant threat of hurtling out of control from the slightest error. Having to cope with any damage you receive, as well as mico-managing fuel, coolant, weapons.

It's not a game I'd pay £40 for, but one I'd like to play nonetheless.

Myyke

Neo Member
Oh, I agree, when Myyke and sometime Over, used their MAV against me, all I did was duck, and shoot it as it came back towards me. Or used a lock on rocket, when it used to be flying in the air.

The best map for me for MAV kills was Operation Metro, I would just fly through the corridors and most people would just stand there and stare at me while I slowly buzzed into them.

Gazzawa

The best map for me for MAV kills was Operation Metro, I would just fly through the corridors and most people would just stand there and stare at me while I slowly buzzed into them.

6Gb worth of patches could not fix this.
that whole game was a lesson on how not to do a console FPS.
Poor campaign
Useless Coop
Complete silence during online multiplayer
Ship it. And patch when the giant sandbox collapses inwards on itself.

Top Bottom