• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Awwwwwww yeah! Who's ready to get double melee beatdown'd by a Unicorn?!?

tumblr_m1m3pnddQQ1qen6qlo2_500.gif

FyreWulff

Also, it was cool that Bungie opened up the Bungie nameplate to everyone in Reach. I do believe they were also considering giving everyone the option for a flaming head in Halo 3 as well, but the technical details behind how that whole system worked prevented it from happening.

That is what 343 appears to be doing, from my perspective.

I think you could have made a pretty good case for this up until the announcement of specs. At the very least, by this point, it's more dubious. This post can't be definitive – there's are too many ifs about specs, and not one of us here has played the game with them – but the basic premise of specs seems to go against the idea of "keeping the base gameplay the same."

Setting aside whether or not I'll like specs or if I think they'll be a great idea – I'm holding judgement until I play the game – their premise, at least at face value, seems to go against one of the major components of Halo's gameplay: knowing for certain everyone's capabilities. Everyone's health is the same, their shield strength is the same; any one person's effect on a part of the sandbox will be the same for everyone else. Halo 4 is introducing elements that reduces this certainty, and in doing so, departures (in this regard) from the base gameplay of past Halo games. Even Reach, with its armor abilities, didn't take it to this level.

It seems to me 343's walking a very fine line with specs.

daedalius

Well guys, gencon went great; looks like I will have a lot of new work coming my way soon for tabletop/card/board games.

Did I miss anything important?

Woorloog

Banned
When will we get a proper image of "Recruit" armor? Seriously, want one right now!

Also, anyone wanna play ODST Firefight or Campaign later on today? Maybe, i'll post later on whether i'm playing.

Shadders

Agreed. Even though it isn't the same thing really, I got annoyed when Recon became avaliable to everyone once ODST was released, it didn't feel right for everyone to have it. I felt that the people who earned it originally through their contributions to the community deserved to have it to themselves.

Recon was hardly difficult to unlock, anyone with decent knowledge of how to play Halo could unlock it, actually make it a somewhat challenge, like for recon they should of done so like get 50 in every playlist and a general in exp in each playlist. Extremely difficult/time consuming.

I guess Recon and the Star nameplates were different because no-one paid money for them, it might be shitty for those who felt their efforts to get them were cheapened when everyone had access, but I don't think that's as bad as people who've paid money for exclusive armour.

There may even be a legal issue, if they say armour is exclusive to the Halo console (for example) and it later becomes available to all, thus losing the exclusivity, would someone who bought the console for that armour be entitled to a partial refund?

I don't know US consumer law, but I reckon you'd have a strong case in the EU.

Overdoziz

Banned
I guess Recon and the Star nameplates were different because no-one paid money for them, it might be shitty for those who felt their efforts to get them were cheapened when everyone had access, but I don't think that's as bad as people who've paid money for exclusive armour.

There may even be a legal issue, if they say armour is exclusive to the Halo console (for example) and it later becomes available to all, thus losing the exclusivity, would someone who bought the console for that armour be entitled to a partial refund?

You're buying the console just for the armor, aren't you?

Karl2177

You can throw in fine print: "Exclusive for a limited time as to be determined by 343 Industries."

Honestly I'm on the completely opposite side of you. Someone paid money to get it. They didn't do anything special to earn it. They worked their average 9-5 job and bought something. Whoopty fucking doo.

FyreWulff

You can throw in fine print: "Exclusive for a limited time as to be determined by 343 Industries."

Honestly I'm on the completely opposite side of you. Someone paid money to get it. They didn't do anything special to earn it. They worked their average 9-5 job and bought something. Whoopty fucking doo.

Yeah, it's a luxury item, not an investment. I'm also sure the armor codes have a minimal or zero official retail value.

I mean hell, anyone that signs on to my Xbox while I'm playing Reach also gets the Legendary flames and Officer Elite, and they didn't pay a dime!

Ramirez

They put the money down for it, why should people who were too cheap to buy it (but still want it) ever have access to it?

It's trivial at the end of the day, but I really hate when these companies push "exclusive" stuff and then months later are selling it on the market place.

Myyke

Neo Member
IMO a good way to manage the exclusive content would be to make it generously time-limited, and then make it available for people to obtain at a later date as paid-dlc.

I'm personally buying the Console and the LE for reasons other than the armour itself though, so not really fussed about downloadable content exclusivity.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's trivial at the end of the day, but I really hate when these companies push "exclusive" stuff and then months later are selling it on the market place.
I think the best way to approach it is to make it obtainable eventually but as something that is hard earned. Whether it's achievements or a ton of credits/exp/etc.

TCKaos

Like 95% of the helmets have been udder shit. It's like 343 thinks practical visors serve no purpose in 2553.

Of all the new armor we've seen I really like the Soldier, Warrior, Recruit and FOTUS. Even then, they don't look like SPARTANs to me other than Recruit (which I can't see because the picture is so small).

malfcn

The trick to TL boosting is to get the checkpoint within milliseconds before your Killionaire. Then, you resume and quit after ONE explosion, note the number of each enemy you kill, and build the custom challenges with appropriate ratios so that you're maximizing your cR/time.

Since you can't receive credit for more than 1024 kills/game, you shouldn't do more than 103 resets at a time. The enemy-specific kills should be set to how many of each type you kill in one shot multiplied by 103. You should see how much each payout is by entering every viable challenge and then take the top 5.

I believe the daily cR cap is 200,000. Any custom challenge cR earned over the cap will be removed from your account automatically after they are added. It is possible to watch the bar go backwards at the post-game cR payout screen.

That sounds pro, someone has that system down.
I made it drizzle, but stopped playing before making it rain..

Karl2177

They put the money down for it, why should people who were too cheap to buy it (but still want it) ever have access to it?

Maybe I can't afford $399 for the LE console(I can't right now actually). Why should I be locked out of game content, even if it is as trivial as aesthetics?

EDIT: I should also add for store specific armor, maybe I can't get the one I want because I don't live in Canada or can't purchase from amazon.uk. It's a poor practice that will escalate like it did with Mass Effect 3 and the Day 1 DLC.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I mainly like the FOTUS armor for the visor itself, plus the armor itself but again I already have a two-month old Slim so I wouldn't be picking up the Halo 4 360 regardless, but I want that armor.

Edit:

If anyone want free silly hat codes for his/her Avatar

Thanks for this, I remember this last week but only through texting in the US, this actually works for me plus it's completely free, thanks!

You have to send the same information twice for both Avatar heads BTW.

FyreWulff

Maybe I can't afford $399 for the LE console(I can't right now actually). Why should I be locked out of game content, even if it is as trivial as aesthetics?

I also come at it from a game preservation angle - it's disappointing when parts of a game essentially bitrot out of existence.

TCKaos

Do what all the cool kids do and buy the code off of somebody on Ebay. That's probably what I'm going to do.

Karl2177

It's ugly armor you can only see when you are dead, who gives a fuck?

Armor today, Spartan Ops missions tomorrow, multiplayer maps the next. It sets a bad precedent.

I should also note that I played Reach a lot more when I was trying to get the Security muttonchops helmet. Now I get on because GAF is playing it.

Ramirez

The console has these exclusive things to make it more enticing, if you can't afford it, then what do you want them to do? Offer a barebones console with no incentives?

First Gundam inspired Spartans IV, and now Saint Seiya!

Giving it all or trolling a bit?

Wish they would have infused their exclusive DLCs with story related goodness...like a Linda inspired armor or whatever...
lol this thread is best. I've thought of Saint Seiya yesterday when thinking about Fotus Armor also.

Top Bottom