• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Karl2177

The console has these exclusive things to make it more enticing, if you can't afford it, then what do you want them to do? Offer a barebones console with no incentives?

Sure, that's one option. I know a lot of people wanted an ODST disc for $40, no Mythic disc. A console with no extraneous stuff would be nice for $250.

The other option is to do it as we've been saying and make it timed exclusive. You are a paying customer, you can have the armor exclusively for 3 years. After that everyone has the chance to earn it through our progression system.

kylej

Banned
the thing I'd be complaining about isn't armor, it's that after dropping 400 bones on a "special edition" of an old ass console, Microsoft still won't throw in their "limited edition" Halo 4 copy which is basically the same as the regular edition except with some pieces of paper in it.

if someone is dedicated enough to buy a halo 4 console, toss in the LE.

the thing I'd be complaining about isn't armor, it's that after dropping 400 bones on a "special edition" of an old ass console, Microsoft still won't throw in their "limited edition" Halo 4 copy which is basically the same as the regular edition except with some pieces of paper in it.

Yeah considering all the LE content is digital (right?) they could throw that in with the console for literally no cost to them. Has the other LE content been announced out of interest?

I still can't get over the fact that Black Ops 2 has an exclusive map as a pre-order bonus, at least the H4 armours are just aesthetic.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

But that would make it cost $500.

e7U5V.png

GhaleonEB

Yeah considering all the LE content is digital (right?) they could throw that in with the console for literally no cost to them. Has the other LE content been announced out of interest?

I still can't get over the fact that Black Ops 2 has an exclusive map as a pre-order bonus, at least the H4 armours are just aesthetic.

I haven't seen a lot of descriptions of the content, but new pics are here.

http://www.littleenglishhaloblog.com/2012/08/more-new-images-of-halo-4-limited.html

An exclusive map as a bonus? Oh wow. That's exactly the worst case scenario for this kind of parceled out content. :\

Homeboyd

Link didn't work for me. No worries broseph... just trying to save you/him some time and effort. For instance, the medal count was nearly twice what you needed to obtain to receive the max payout amongst the other counts you had listed that were too low or too high. And if you hadn't specified "explosions" he would've tried TL kills and received 0 cR for it.

Wow, seriously? What an awful gen.

Nothing beats the story of the man who payed outrageous ebay prices for the War for Cybertron pre order G1 characters (I think 80 dollars or more per character).

Only for high moon to include them in a DLC map pack 2-3 months down the line, costing 1200 points.

Beckx

An exclusive map as a bonus? Oh wow. That's exactly the worst case scenario for this kind of parceled out content. :\

Bleh. You know what was awesome? When buying one game got you a sweet early demo for another - FFVII in Tobal No. 1, H3 beta in Crackdown, etc.

The naked conversion of a player base into a business model will be the thing that finally drives me out of AAA releases altogether. But not yet.

Karl2177

It's Nuketown though, so again, who gives a fuck?

What gave you the idea I give a fuck? If you want to pay $400 to look like a damn unicorn, more power to you.
I hate to go all Viewtiful/Daedalius on you, but why did you even bother posting if you aren't bringing anything to the conversation. Not posting on a certain issue is just as good, if not better than saying "I don't give a fuck, so why should you?"

It's Nuketown though, so again, who gives a fuck?

What gave you the idea I give a fuck? If you want to pay $400 to look like a damn unicorn, more power to you.

Lots of people like Nuketown, it's one of the most popular maps, to the point where they run Nuketown only double exp style playlists from time to time.

My point is, they are deliberately choosing a map that they know many like as the one they segregate. If I pre-order I'm most likely never going to see it anyway considering I would need to be in a game with everyone who pre-ordered. As Fyrewulff said, it's a facepalm moment as it shows no thought towards map integration online. It's scary that not even maps are sacred anymore. Although in my last post I forgot Halo 4 gives early access to perks based on how much money you spend... I can't decide what's worse, cannibalising the maps or offering players who pay more an advantage...

Thanks for the link Ghaleon, packaging looks nice, but it's hard to tell what it houses.

I hate to go all Viewtiful/Daedalius on you, but why did you even bother posting if you aren't bringing anything to the conversation. Not posting on a certain issue is just as good, if not better than saying "I don't give a fuck, so why should you?"

I'm saying if exclusive content is ugly armor and a bad map what is the point in bitching about it?

I understand it could become a problem, but right now it isn't one.

Beckx

Agreed. I'm always perplexed by people who give a big fuck about why people give, well, a big fuck.

EDIT: In full disclosure, yes, I for one LOVE armor aesthetics.

As do I. Cosmetic changes are one area where I have no issue with paid DLC (on disc or otherwise), time based unlocks, paying to avoid time based unlocks, etc. I love it.

I'm saying if exclusive content is ugly armor and a bad map what is the point in bitching about it?

I understand it could become a problem, but right now it isn't one.

There are lots of reasons to mind. Even if you don't like the map it's just a very bad practise and shows the mentality of the marketing team/ developers.

I just don't comprehend how you can say "who cares" when it's clear that they deliberately chose a map people like rather than a map which people hated, which even then would be a bad thing.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Nuketown is probably one of the more popular maps on Black Ops, so it's not like they are doing it to content people wouldn't care about.
In your mind it's a bad map, but in they're mind it's a chance to make easy money by cannibalising a map many really like.

As do I. Cosmetic changes are one area where I have no issue with paid DLC (on disc or otherwise), time based unlocks, paying to avoid time based unlocks, etc. I love it.

Same here. I'd be all over New Armor DLC packs. I don't care if I'm "feeding the machine". I pay for things I want... that's the whole point! Lol

nillapuddin

Same here. I'd be all over New Armor DLC packs. I don't care if I'm "feeding the machine". I pay for things I want... that's the whole point! Lol

I think its completely reasonable for an armor pack to be out in the wild for =< $3

My only problem with armour dlc would be that they could have spent that time making game types/ maps/ spartan ops missions.

are you being for cereals?

My only problem with armour dlc would be that they could have spent that time making game types/ maps/ spartan ops missions.
I know it's not how it works when it comes to resources though, so maybe putting them out alongside gameplay dlc would be good.

My point is, they are deliberately choosing a map that they know many like as the one they segregate. If I pre-order I'm most likely never going to see it anyway considering I would need to be in a game with everyone who pre-ordered

Have you ever played a COD game online? This is never an issue, as you are always matched with players who have the DLC if you do as well. You're not randomly matched up with whoever happens to be online at the time; the game purposefully puts you into lobbies with with players who have the same DLC as you do.

It works really well.

kylej

Banned

Somewhere a brain dead lower level manager in a marketing department just got a boner.

Tawpgun

Have you ever played a COD game online? This is never an issue, as you are always matched with players who have the DLC if you do as well. You're not randomly matched up with whoever happens to be online at the time; the game purposefully puts you into lobbies with with players who have the same DLC as you do.

It works really well.

Wonders of a big population.

TheOddOne

It works really well.
Yep, CoD's DLC implementation is really great. Halo could learn a thing or two from it.

Fuchsdh

I wonder if down the line they will DLC weapons. 800 msp for the Saw.
Doubt it. Thats one thing I think MS realizes would just piss people off. Skins and armor? Fair game.

Maybe the LE/ preorder perks would be pay DLC packs for those who wanted them later.

Top Bottom