• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

I am going to miss Marty, as of now his music had more life, charm and texture.. however this new music has a slightly more cinematic, darker tone which may trade off nicely. I simply hope we will still get songs that remind me of Martys style, even if its mild. Ill miss thinks like "Peril", and of course I will deeply miss the Halo theme, but I still imagine it has to show up..

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
You know what? So did Frankie, and so did a whole bunch of other people. Just because someone works/used to work at Bungie doesn't mean they couldn't have come over to 343.

What I'm trying to say is at the end of the day, I just don't think this music is up to standard.
He's making music for another game at this moment you goof. Besides, Frankie followed Halo and Marty chose not to.

You know what? So did Frankie, and so did a whole bunch of other people. Just because someone works/used to work at Bungie doesn't mean they couldn't have come over to 343.

What I'm trying to say is at the end of the day, I just don't think this music is up to standard.

Frankie's home was Halo. Marty was at Bungie for more than just Halo. So what if Marty chose to stay at Bungie?

Slaker117

mccartney_bungie_large.jpg

I'd imagine Marty is pretty happy with where he is.

G17

I like the track, Davidge is doing what 343 have asked for, an electronic beat driven soundtrack. I will compare it to Marty's efforts once the game comes out.

Ascendancy, Haven, + the Magic Behind trailer is enough for me to not dismiss it as worse than Marty's efforts just yet.

Doodis

Looking forward to the OST. Samples are sounding great. Not sure I'm super stoked with the remixes, but I'll wait to judge the final versions. Haven remix is pretty great, though.

I'm actually amazed that the LE soundtrack is $75. That's quite the price. And I'm more amazed that I'm actually considering it. :/

Yes, believe it or not, I already knew that.

Then why did you ask?

Looking forward to the OST. Samples are sounding great. Not sure I'm super stoked with the remixes, but I'll wait to judge the final versions. Haven remix is pretty great, though.

I'm actually amazed that the LE soundtrack is $75. That's quite the price. And I'm more amazed that I'm actually considering it. :/

Then why did you ask?

Ever heard of a rhetorical question?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand unexcitement about music :( (not just talking about you, just in general)

Music is the best thing ever.
I love music! But it's hard for me to really care about video game / movie OSTs. I'll care about Halo 4 music a lot more after I play the game and associate it with cool scenes and stuff.

I love music! But it's hard for me to really care about video game / movie OSTs. I'll care about Halo 4 music a lot more after I play the game and associate it with cool scenes and stuff.

Why would it be harder to care about music if it's in a movie or video game? If it's good music, then it should be able to stand on its own, and you shouldn't need to associate it with anything to care.

Just how I look at it.

Why would it be harder to care about music if it's in a movie or video game? If it's good music, then it should be able to stand on its own, and you shouldn't need to associate it with anything to care.

Just how I look at it.
Music made for a specific purpose, like a movie or game or whatever, actually co-exists with a specific piece of a film or game and is best appreciated in that regard. A soundtrack standing on it's own merits without context is absolutely not the norm.

^ Yeah this really feels GOTY for me also.. I would say its mainly up against AC3, but Im not in love from what I have seen from that game so far.. But I am a minority there. Maybe Sleeping Dogs? Im hearing good things about it.. downloading the demo now actually.

See, Im a big fan of orchestrated and instrumental music, I guess you like it, but it just isn't your thing. Movie soundtracks are a love of mine, and of course some video game soundtracks like Halo are just as good.. Hm, a non Halo game song I love is "Price of Freedom" from Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core.. Just felt like sharing.

Anyways, I really can't wait to find out the context for some of these tracks, because they sound pretty intense.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They're cellos guys. 100% guarantee there isn't a single guitar. Distorted cellos with some wah pedal. Those long sustained squealing notes right down to that chugging strumming is all just distorted cellos.

Ain't nothing cheesy about redefinig roles of a cello :p

Fascinating Frankie Fact #416: I played cello in the Tynecastle High School Orchestra. I did until they discovered I wasn't playing and letting the second cellist do all the hard work. But because I knew the finger positions I got away with it for a long time. I wanted to play guitar but it was already taken (dur) or Sax (because this was Lost Boys Eighties and sax was cool) but it was gone too. So I referred to the greatest cellist of all time, Captain Stringfellow Hawke and picked that instrument.

sikp4.jpg

Music made for a specific purpose, like a movie or game or whatever, actually co-exists with a specific piece of a film or game. A soundtrack standing on it's own merits without context is absolutely not the norm.

That's true. But I guess that's why you don't see too many great video game soundtracks out there. I would say H3 and ODST's soundtracks were able to stand on their own, and the previous Halos as well, and that was what made them so great. Again, just my opinion.

Frankie: that sounds just like me and the trombone in eighth grade!

As for GOTY: why is nobody here mentioning COD for that? Treyarch could just take Pong and slap the COD label on it, and it would probably win GOTY.

G17

I'm starting to think this has a real shot at GOTY, what are the other contenders this year?

Halo 4 won't win it from the big sites purely for being 360 exclusive. But what does that matter. For 99% of us in this thread, Halo 4 is looking to be the GOTY far and beyond any other game this year if we go off by what we saw at E3.

Really who cares about Game of the Year's..it's just a nice title to put in trailers. I disagree with these lists every time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Just how I look at it.

Scores have to work better with the themes and elements they "describe."

Jaws for example - cool on its own, but the description of hulking, unseen danger is what makes it classic.

"Concerning Hobbits" from LOTR - perfectly encapsulates the twee mannerisms of the little folk and hints at a kind of snooty-yet-noble preciousness. The many iterations of "The Gael" from Last of the Mohicans successfully transform a classic folk theme into a perfect action-movie driver for the movie - while retaining the period feel.

But while some of the best scores are also eminently listenable on their own, they're exponentially better in their real context.

Miles X

Halo 4 won't win it from the big sites purely for being 360 exclusive. But what does that matter, for 99% of us in this thread Halo 4 is looking to be the GOTY far and beyond any other game this year if we go off by what we saw at E3.

Really who cares about Game of the Year's just an nice title to put in trailers. I disagree with the list every time.

True, would be great for Halo to get the recognition it deserves though, that said as much as I like/love the previous Halo's not many have been GOTY contenders. This time though even if it was a packed year it's evident it's more than worthy.

Ramirez

Samples are ok, I couldn't have told you it was from a Halo game though.

Hmm, well actually @5:40 in that compiled sample it sounds like an old Halo theme for a few seconds. More of that please. :p

G17

Frankie likes Last of the Mohicans? Please tell me you also think Dances with Wolves is one of the greatest movies of all time.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm loving what I've heard so far anyway, can't wait to hear more. Still grumpy over pre-order exclusive armour though :p

Armor is not pre-order exclusive, just the skins.

That is, if i recall correctly. I'm pretty sure i do...

---

EDIT Krow, it occurs to me we need to form a BirdGAF to compete with WolfGAF.

Jaws for example - cool on its own, but the description of hulking, unseen danger is what makes it classic.

"Concerning Hobbits" from LOTR - perfectly encapsulates the twee mannerisms of the little folk and hints at a kind of snooty-yet-noble preciousness. The many iterations of "The Gael" from Last of the Mohicans successfully transform a classic folk theme into a perfect action-movie driver for the movie - while retaining the period feel.

But while some of the best scores are also eminently listenable on their own, they're exponentially better in their real context.
You said what I said, only better. It's like you've done writing before, for realzies.

Loved the previous Airwolf reference, btw.

willow ve

Hear hear.

Inception and Sunshine are both great listens without the source material. Whereas the recent batman trilogy kinda falls apart without the movie to lend visual to the music.
really just had to comment because Last of the Mohicans is one of the greatest soundtracks I have ever heard

Frankie, please tell me you DON'T think Dances with Wolves is one of the greatest movies of all time.

And if Halo 4 is as good as we all hope it is, what could beat it for all the various GotYs? Journey? ME3? AC3? I mean, Rayman Legends will probably be platforming perfection incarnate like Origins was, but that didn't win anything either.

Hey You

Frankie and co. wanted to, they weren't forced. Marty obviously like whats next for Bungie and doesn't want to work on Halo anymore.

Marty was @ Bungie before Halo.

Ramirez

Frankie, please tell me you DON'T think Dances with Wolves is one of the greatest movies of all time.

And if Halo 4 is as good as we all hope it is, what could beat it for all the various GotYs? Journey? ME3? AC3? I mean, Rayman Legends will probably be platforming perfection incarnate like Origins was, but that didn't win anything either.

babydino.gif

ZalinKrow

Armor is not pre-order exclusive, just the skins.

That is, if i recall correctly. I'm pretty sure i do...

---

EDIT Krow, it occurs to me we need to form a BirdGAF to compete with WolfGAF.

Yeah see that's what I originally thought, but now I've no idea. I don't mind if skins are pre-order exclusives, but not being able to get a bunch of armour sets even though I'm getting the LE would make me sad.

And I completely agree with the BirdGaf idea haha :^

A good soundtrack always compliments the media it is written for and helps relay the tone of the content to the individual experiencing it. I'm not going to go into whether this is a good Halo soundtrack or not because it is essential that it be experienced as it was intended, alongside the game. Unlike Marty's work, Neil's soundscape hasn't had that luxury yet.

Hopefully when we listen to the soundtrack after November 6th, the music on its own will help recreate the imagery and mood of the game. I think every successful soundtrack has accomplished that in some way or another.

I will comment on the remixes though...

CA4K7.gif

Gray Man

Banned
Wow I just got the chance to sit down and listen to all of these samples from the OST, not the remixes yet.

I'm really into this new direction. It takes some getting used to though... I'm very fond of Marty's work.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah see that's what I originally thought, but now I've no idea. I don't mind if skins are pre-order exclusives, but not being able to get a bunch of armour sets even though I'm getting the LE would make me sad.

And I completely agree with the BirdGaf idea haha :^

Halopedian.com states that the skins are the pre-order bonuses, not the armor, though the line lacks citation for some reason. I'm pretty sure this was confirmed on some Waypoint Bulletin or somewhere... maybe either Frankie or Ellis said that here?

Eh, can we get a reconfirmation for that?

---

Who else here has a bird in their avatar?

EDIT also, i need to redo my avatar, i need to add sickle and hammer to it. And some fourth symbol as well i guess, because i will have to resize CapCon emblem and EMP medals...

Beckx

I can't imagine anything will displace Journey as my favorite experience this year, but it has no chance in hell of winning anything major. GOTY is the opposite of the Oscars, it's the Best Blockbuster award. You can usually call it by seeing what AAA title has the best combined sales + metacritic. And maybe that's fine? It seems to be what the AAA buying public wants. We just need better ways to recognize small & mid-market titles.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
babydino.gif

Spent the last 7 hours catching up on the thread, worth it for all the music talk and this gif alone.

Excited to hear the entire OST! Plus I can't wait till it makes me cry during a powerful campaign moment! I AM AN EMOTIONAL GAMER DANG IT!

Edit: Frankie, did the same thing with the violin all through high school, wasn't interested in playing anymore, parents made me, fake played during concerts, check mate.

Halopedian.com states that the skins are the pre-order bonuses, not the armor, though the line lacks citation for some reason. I'm pretty sure this was confirmed on some Waypoint Bulletin or somewhere... maybe either Frankie or Ellis said that here?

Eh, can we get a reconfirmation for that?

---

Who else here has a bird in their avatar?

Halo 4 Pre-order Bonuses

Last week, retailers began announcing their Halo 4 pre-order bonuses. The first eight bonuses you'll see below are skins. (For clarification purposes, please note they are skins only, and we are not locking away armor.) One of the best things about the skins is the ability to fully customize them. You're getting a pattern that is not only unique, but can also be color customized.

Just use HBO's search function for the bulletins. It made it easy to find the passage in the bulletin.

Gray Man

Banned
People keep saying this music doesn't sound like Halo, but suspect after Halo 4, if things go right, for a whole new generation this might be what "Halo" sounds like to them...

Woorloog

Banned
People keep saying this music doesn't sound like Halo, but suspect after Halo 4, if things go right, for a whole new generation this might be what "Halo" sounds like to them...

Doesn't sound like "classic Halo" is what people should say. Because this is "new Halo", in more than one way.

What 343i has overhauled or changed already?
Graphical style. Human stuff looks more scifi than before. The aliens have been redone to look more mean... YMMV ofc.
Sound and music.
Multiplayer fully canonized (previously the maps were real locations in Haloverse but that's it).
Multiplayer changes.

Anything else?

Top Bottom