• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Dax hates ambition confirmed.
I know you're joking, but reading over that post again, I would like to clarify, if I may, a bit: I was essentially posting my expectations of Halo 4's campaign length based on Bungie's output in three-year development cycles. As a result, I'm expecting that if the game does have 15 missions, it'd be more like Halo 2's format in that larger missions are broken up into smaller, though still significant, missions. What I meant by "easy to remember levels" is that, to this day, I still have trouble recalling every mission in Halo 2. I can list Halo 3's, Reach's, ODST's, and Halo 1's with ease. I clarified my "makes more sense" comment in the post you quoted.

Of course, if 343 has managed to put out 15 "full" missions, that'd be fantastic, and would make me more excited for the campaign than I already am.

I love the track which starts 7:19min in the remix compilation. I don't know how I can link to the specific time at soundcloud.

BSangel just posted this on twitter, Ascendancy remix courtesy of Rolling Stone

Edit: I skipped right over that post from a couple pages back. Damn, my bad.
Nah. my fault. I haven't linked it directly or named the link. :)

Please tell me I'm not the only one who likes the new samples?

We need some pieces like Unforgotten or In Amber Clad from Halo 2. Or at least some pieces similar to Halo 3.

Everything is just too dark and predictable in my opinion.
Wait. You are saying that you like the samples but the other part of your post gives me the complete opposite of that.

Kuroyume

Banned
Music felt very underwhelming to me. Perhaps it will be better with some on screen action. It sounded like mediocre Final Fantasy music to me. Definitely agree that it doesn't really sound like Halo... Not that I'm to bothered by that just saying. I'm receptive to different music for Halo but not if it's weak like these samples. Some electric guitars could have improved these songs. Electronic music is for dancing and playing with glow sticks not kicking ass.

GhaleonEB

I know you're joking, but reading over that post again, I would like to clarify, if I may, a bit: I was essentially posting my expectations of Halo 4's campaign length based on Bungie's output in three-year development cycles. As a result, I'm expecting that if the game does have 15 missions, it'd be more like Halo 2's format in that larger missions are broken up into smaller, though still significant, missions. What I meant by "easy to remember levels" is that, to this day, I still have trouble recalling every mission in Halo 2. I can list Halo 3's, Reach's, ODST's, and Halo 1's with ease. I clarified my "makes more sense" comment in the post you quoted.

Of course, if 343 has managed to put out 15 "full" missions, that'd be fantastic, and would make me more excited for the campaign than I already am.

Likeswise. I find I struggle in conversations about Halo 2's campaign, despite completing it many times. I'm fine up to Delta Halo, and then the names escape me. That level where we go through the wall and there's this huge ship that gets shot down! And that one with the Scarab, and that other one with all the Flood whomping on Covenant.

Sai-kun

Banned
Music felt very underwhelming to me. Perhaps it will be better with some on screen action. It sounded like mediocre Final Fantasy music to me. Definitely agree that it doesn't really sound like Halo... Not that I'm to bothered by that just saying. I'm receptive to different music for Halo but not if it's weak like these samples. Some electric guitars could have improved these songs. Electronic music is for dancing and playing with glow sticks not kicking ass.

Halo has always had ambient/electronic undertones. Since forever.

I wish every playlist (FFA aside) had party matching. That way parties would have more competitive matches and people going in solo won't get slaughtered by full teams. That way you won't really need a mercenaries playlist either.
Yep.

I was joking, but I'm not really sure we should be comparing Bungie's development and production schedule to 343's. Different studio, somewhat of a different vision. Given the correct production schedule from the beginning on executing their vision and use their resources properly, I don't see a reason why 343 couldn't deliver a 15 mission 12 hour game instead of Bungie's 10 mission 8 hour games.

HOPE!

Sai-kun

Banned

That's the Haven (Hundred Waters Remix)

edit: oops double po-oh wait, no, okay. close one. thanks steely.

It was the remix version of adding a foreword to a novel. Good remixes rewrite the novel while retaining the plot. I'll listen to it again with headphones in a bit. I want to like it, but that first impression was bad.

If you don't like it, headphones aren't gonna help. It's a sample of the full track.

I highly doubt 2:25 is the entire track. It's probably closer to 4-5 minutes long. It's called building up ;P

It was the remix version of adding a foreword to a novel. Good remixes rewrite the novel while retaining the plot. I'll listen to it again with headphones in a bit. I want to like it, but that first impression was bad.

I'm judging without reading the entire book. I'll save that for when the entire thing is published.

Woorloog

Banned
I still have trouble recalling every mission in Halo 2. I can list Halo 3's, Reach's, ODST's, and Halo 1's with ease.

Hmm, gotta try my memory...

The Heretic
Cairo Station
Old Mombasa?
New Mombasa? Not sure about these two. Mombasa Streets was in ODST, no?
The Arbiter
The Oracle
Delta Halo
Regret
Gravemind
Uprising
High Charity
The Great Journey

Not sure about whether the names should have "the" or not. Some certainly had them, i think... damn English language.

EDIT now gotta check the actual names.

EDIT OK, forgot "The Armory", the tutorial level. Old Mombasa was "Outskirts" and New Mombasa "Metropolis"
Also forgot to list "Sacred Icon" and "Contaiment Zone" despite remembering those missions... Didn't remember the latter's name.

Trickster

Absolutely love those samples. It's different from Marty's stuff, but honestly I probably like these samples as much, or maybe even more than most of marty's stuff. Needs some monks though.

Vire

Posted on the gaming side but here's my thoughts on the samples:

"To Galaxy" is absolutely beautiful.

"Ascendancy" is so so, with the second half picking up steam. Solid track.

"Awakening" sounds good but a shame the violin part was missing from the sample. I know this one is a keeper based off the previous exposure to the song.

"Revival" starts out slow with fairly rhythmic monk chants, filled with appropriate bombast, slowly morphing into an electronic beast. Interesting track, not sure what to make of it yet.

Overall, sounds like a pretty good start. Can't wait to hear the rest and the full version of these songs. (Haven on the remix side also makes me really want to hear the original)

Haven't seen this posted yet, but Play.com have the OST up for sale (Out on 22nd October) http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/35529437/0/Halo-4-Original-Soundtrack/ListingDetails.html

Track Listings. Possible Spoilers? Might not be final.

Awakening
Belly Of The Beast
Requiem
Legacy
Faithless
Haven
Nemesis
Ascendancy
Solace
To Galaxy
Immaterial
Arrival
Revival
Green And Blue

Super sorry if old.

Thankfully none of those names are very spoilerific, Im sure they may seem more spoiler filled once we play the game and have context though.

"The Halo 4 Soundtrack is destined to become the most successful selling gaming soundtrack ever. Microsoft / Xbox will be shortly announcing a ground breaking collaboration between Halo 4 composer / producer Neil Davidge of Massive Attack fame and 16 of the world s most renowned electronica remixers including Skrillex vs Knife Party, Sander Van Doorn, Gui Boratto, Caspa, DJ Skee, Bobby Tank, Matt Lange and Apocalyptica to mention a few. The Halo 4 game and Halo 4 Soundtrack are global priority releases for Microsoft / Xbox and the OST will be released on October 22nd, two weeks before the game release on Nov 6th 2012. There will be a fully strategized global PR campaign co-ordinated by Edelman PR and highlights include a global Halo 4 remix app competition launched in September 2012 in conjunction with Soundcloud, Facebook and Xbox. The Halo Waypoint website (http://halo.xbox.com) will place and prioritise a pre order microsite which sees monthly traffic of over 1.2 million unique user per month. Also + 6 exclusive free download remixes via a unique redemption voucher including 3 remixes and 3 Neil Davidge tracks from the Halo 4 Game"​
ipk0u6j3nqjubzcust.gif

Seems quite a few of those artisits aren't actually listed on the remix track listing..weird.

Soooooo good. Very, good actually. Not Marty good, not yet, but in context with the game may change that entirely. Still, I really hope the classic Halo theme sneaks its way in a few times, even if subtly. I really hope this soundtrack pans out, and so far it seems it will. I just hope there are a few familiar sounds in it to given a little continuance from past games.

As for the Remix stuff, so far so good, Im excited to have that stuff to listen to as well. Some of them are definitely pretty cool sounding.

I think I just have to come to terms that Halo 4's music is something I'm never gonna be very ecstatic about. Most of it goes through one ear and out the other. You listen to it, it's...there, and then it's over. It's comptent. This one is EPIC, and this is AMBIENT, it fulfills it's job. It's just not something I'm ever gonna want to revisit outside the context of the game.

I like Ascendancy and the Halo 4 concept art theme, because while they still don't sound like Halo, they also don't sound like the generic movie trailer background noise most of these samples seem to go with. They have a new texture to them that is weird and alien...interesting.

Bsigg12

So now that all this is out... Bulletin is probably nothing new?

Yea, unfortunately. It'll probably have all the tracks on there and recap everything we know, again. I wish they would kick into high gear with the marketing department now that the game is in final polish/bug squash mode.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I could get excited about OST music like you guys. I'm like, oh cool, sounds like video game / movie music.

Risen

CS:GO is good, just the aiming a bit weird, damn you Aim Acceleration.

I like what little I saw... think it will be fun. Sorry had to jet, gotta work. Aiming definitely feels funky. I ended up jacking it all the way up, at slower speeds it just felt awful.

Sai-kun

Banned
Anyone clarify where you buy the LE of the OST? It mentioned Waypoint, this meaning the site? Or do I get to use Allard Bucks?

I think it will be available for purchase through Waypoint. Not yet though.

I wish I could get excited about OST music like you guys. I'm like, oh cool, sounds like video game / movie music.

I don't understand unexcitement about music :( (not just talking about you, just in general)

Music is the best thing ever.

The Halo 4 game and Halo 4 Soundtrack are global priority releases for Microsoft / Xbox and the OST will be released on October 22nd, two weeks before the game release on Nov 6th 2012.
Loving the early release of the OST. Just what I was hoping for, but didn't expect.

Anyone clarify where you buy the LE of the OST? It mentioned Waypoint, this meaning the site? Or do I get to use Allard Bucks?
Theres a limited edition of the soundtrack too? After shelling out for the game LE this is a bummer. Please tell me its not necessary and/or expensive.

And achhhh, just got the weird guitar rock section of the Davidge samples at 3:25. *cringe* Digging everything else.

Edit: $75 limited edition. Hahahahahaa. OK, Microsoft, you greedy sons of bitches. No fucking way.

Agreed. So far I haven't really heard anything that sounds particularly interesting. Most of it sounds generic more than anything, not much like Halo either. Nothing stands out and it's all just kind of there. Felt similar about most of Reach's OST although that one still had a few gems.
The law of averages demand that I agree with you at some point, I just wish it wasn't for this. Not overly enthused by any of the samples so far, with the exception of the piece that was tied to the theatrical commercial last week. The music has a very cold tone to it, and at this point I'm not sure if I like it.

Actually, it's reminding me of the Earth X Soundtrack from the late 1900's, which I found even then to be cheesy and taxing on the ears.

Enfinit

So now that all this is out... Bulletin is probably nothing new?

She confirmed last week that this week's bulletin would be about music, and with the OST information release today, it'd only make sense for the bulletin to cover all of the music stuff. However, I can't this week's bulletin be as long as last week's or the week's before if it's solely based on music. Who knows.

Trey

The samples were good. I like how the track names combined with the vibe the pieces give off and what little I know of the campaign allow me to construct scenarios around the moments where these pieces would play.

For example:
Awakening gives off a purposeful vibe - something you would like to wake up to in the morning to begin a productive day. You've been away for a minute but now you've got work to do. I can see this cut lurking in the background of the first level on FUD until it hits its stride when the Covenant attack.

Defect

All of the remixes except for the Apocalyptica one suck IMO.

I really like Revival.
It probably has something to do with the Didact :eek:

darthbob

Loving the early release of the OST. Just what I was hoping for, but didn't expect.

Theres a limited edition of the soundtrack too? After shelling out for the game LE this is a bummer. Please tell me its not necessary and/or expensive.

And achhhh, just got the weird guitar rock section of the Davidge samples at 3:25. *cringe* Digging everything else.

If you want a vinyl copy and a making of doovd, it's worth the $75. If not, well, don't bother.

I for one will be purchasing both.

I believe he's referring to "Beauty of Cortana" which is a remix track.

It's a beautiful song, marred by the horrible cheesy guitar kick in.

They're cellos guys. 100% guarantee there isn't a single guitar. Distorted cellos with some wah pedal. Those long sustained squealing notes right down to that chugging strumming is all just distorted cellos.

Ain't nothing cheesy about redefinig roles of a cello :p

They're cellos guys. 100% guarantee there isn't a single guitar. Distorted cellos with some wah pedal. Those long sustained squealing notes right down to that chugging strumming is all just distorted cellos.

Ain't nothing cheesy about redefinig roles of a cello :p
Well the end result sounds like cheesy guitars, but that's one aspect of *all* Halo soundtracks I've had a problem with. Maybe I need some of that fresh northern mountain air to truly appreciate it. Dunno.

Love the bit from 8:25 and how it works into the theme. The it turns into something reminiscent of Akira for a bit. Crazy.

Vire

Seems odd to me that some of you don't care about the music considering the music of Halo has been one of the hallmarks of the series.

It's almost what the series is renown for. (Amazing Music)

If you try to explain what Halo is to someone whose never heard of it before, you'd be re-missed to not at least mention the music.

This OST has a lot to live up to personally, so we'll see how it all turns out. So far it's good but not goosebump worthy.

Remind me again why Marty didn't do this music? Davidge's product is just so... generic. It's not bad, but I'm not going to listen to it for hours on end like I do with 3 and ODST's soundtracks. The music has always been one of those pillars that separates Halo from the rest of the gaming universe, and I feel like that pillar has been knocked loose here.

Edit: Okay, To Galaxy is pretty good. But it's still not up to par...

Seems odd to me that some of you don't care about the music considering the music of Halo has been one of the hallmarks of the series.

It's almost what the series is renown for. (Amazing Music)

If you try to explain what Halo is to someone whose never heard of it before, you'd be re-missed to not at least mention the music.

This OST has a lot to live up to personally, so we'll see how it all turns out. So far it's good but not goosebump worthy.

Didn't realise music plays while in Squad Slayer :p

Remind me again why Marty didn't do this music? Davidge's product is just so... generic. It's not bad, but I'm not going to listen to it for hours on end like I do with 3 and ODST's soundtracks. The music has always been one of those pillars that separates Halo from the rest of the gaming universe, and I feel like that pillar has been knocked loose here.

Really?? Seriously?

Blame 343.

Because Marty works for Bungie, not 343.

Fuchsdh

I feel similar, but ultimately I think well need time to really judge.

Because Marty works for Bungie, not 343.

You know what? So did Frankie, and so did a whole bunch of other people. Just because someone works/used to work at Bungie doesn't mean they couldn't have come over to 343.

What I'm trying to say is at the end of the day, I just don't think this music is up to standard.

Top Bottom