• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

nillapuddin

dew xp
59jZm.png

DOUBLE XP CAFFEINE COMA
(plz)

edit:
The Halo Council Top 5 Halo Plays said:
...playing on "that lockout remake"...

I remember when people were hyped about Halo MLG, back in the Halo 2 days, and every single tryhard had StK ORGE's COUSIN or some shit as their GT

CyReN

Sometimes... and by sometimes I mean all the time... Gandhi tries way too hard when commentating. I actually turned the volume down and just watched. Mean, I know...

His is ok, I prefer Puckett/Nexy style but that's me. Lesson I learned awhile back is w/e you do people will always hate it lol.

heckfu

Banned
I will be representing Team Raisin-able, and will be encouraging the consumption of cheap alcohol and dried grapes until everyone is on Team SLRP. I'm not sure if that's a red team or a blue team, but either way we'll all have the same service tag.

Wait, I thought I was on Team Reasonable, too.

Risen

His is ok, I prefer Puckett/Nexy style but that's me. Lesson I learned awhile back is w/e you do people will always hate it lol.

I'm not hating... His commentary, and particularly the punch lines, just always seem forced. I like him in game play commentary more than clips, especially when he plays it straight.

I haven't seen that before. I thought the Jackals had been more or less left intact...
It sickens me how generic and canon-breaking 343's artists have made the various Covenant species.

I am sure their new diesngs will feel more alive, but thats just going to be from the added detail and animations.. Its too bad that they didn't try to stay a little more true to certain defining festures of the different designs.. That said, Im excited to see thier take on Hunters, which canonically could look like anything I suppose.. Maybe we will get a quadraped Hunter (not a scarab).

I hope this means it is coming stateside, and those were only the prototypes and not that the whole line was scrapped. Double EXP Halo 4 would be pretty interesting to say the least (and cheap), so here's hoping..

Risen

No joke... Ninja's streams are almost always entertaining. There's a point where his voice stabs my head like a knife in the ear, but until then - I giggle.

Redford

aka Cabbie
The drop-in feature kind of overshoots an issue had with Halo up until this point, which was simply that there was no rebalancing feature for pregame lobby quitters. I can't believe it wasn't ever attempted.

Do you honestly think 343 haven't copied significant swathes of COD's multiplayer features? Not mocking, genuinely interested on your take on things such as personal ordnance drops, instant respawns, universal sprint, perks etc

Does anybody think these things would be in Halo if COD had never taken off?

Copied is a strong word. Why build my house with sticks when I can use bricks? Just because I used bricks doesn't mean I am copying you. We can have completely different houses built but you'd accuse me of copying you? There is, of course, and always should be a source of inspiration for every medium.

With that in mind I absolutly believe Halo should draw inspirations from other games. Many are the games who have looked to Halo for inspiration.

COD having Theater mode is isn't 'copying' Halo. Sites having expansive stat tracking in the wake of Bungie.net are not simply 'copying'. Copying is what's left to Zynga.

Personal Dax drops - Are these meant to be copying Care Packages from COD? They certainly don't sound too similar. I think they are a weird beast because it seems to draw away from map placement. What I mean by this is that there won't be a shotgun outside the base on Blood Gulch anymore or there won't be snipers next to ample sight lines. Instead, there seems to be a shift towards playing aggresively. Want a scattershot? You have to do something for it. Simpy happening to spawn near it as in traditional modes won't cut it. It also means I can't just walk over to the enemy's base and take their shotgun. I think these will certainly shift the focus of some playstyles.

To touch on global drops vs traditional spawns: This isn't in COD, right? Is this only worthy of mention if you think it's better than the 'classic' style? I am certainly willing to give them a go. We will no doubt learn the maps like the back of our hands. While I always love the first 30 second rush on good maps, I am definitely open to this idea of a dynamic opening. So, instead of simply always going for Rockets on Powerhouse, we will end up having plenty of possible 'plays' if you will.

We already know the locations are predetermined so that just leaves the players guessing what will spawn where. I am hoping the locations will be somewhat neutral but I could be wrong. I actually think there will be a great level of skill needed for these opening games, especially if the competitive crowd can see it like I do. Because the weapons aren't known, players will have a few seconds to pick a strategy and act on it. I think maps will change far beyond their geometry in this 30 second period. Heatmaps will be a little more spread out and if I am stuck playing Haven forever and ever, at least I will have a different experience each time.

So yeah, this could be a great addition. I stress addition because we can guess from 'classic' offerings that weapons will apwn in those modes.

Instant respawns - Lose a 5 second timer and get accused of copying COD? It's a stretch in my book. First off, the obvious. This won't be the case for Objective Halo which is what immediately says there isn't any copying here. Objective goes hand in hand for Halo with me. With that said, I don't know how big an impact these will have on Slayer. The Haven footage so far certainly hasn;t had any glaring flaws as a result of instant respawns. Players can still wind down if they need to but I think getting dominated on your own spawn will be less of a problem. I think this will cause attacking players to leave a bit of breathing room so they don't get overwhelmed trying to camp the other spawns. with mods to get shileds back faster amon oter things, I'm sure that kind of dominating attacking player will have their fix.

Universal Sprint - Being able to run faster than the norm at a penalty is something I've wanted for a long time. Counter Strike has been doing it for years and COD certainly took it a step further (so punny). CS and COD both do this well and there should be nothing stopping a dev from wanting to do similar things with their sandbox, assuming it allows it. Reach's mistake with sprint was the lack of a discernable penalty. With Halo 4 stunning players who get shot while sprinting, I think the shift we'll see will be to a more passive ability. It won't be the evasion tool it has been in Reach.

Perks - I honestly don't think these are nearly as defining and outright gamechanging as the COD variants. I believe Domino Theory when he says they are tweaks. They sound like artificial enhancers of skill. Skilled players will enhance their skills while using these. For lesser players, it could be the bridge they need to enhance some element of their game so they can better tackle other players.

The difference between imitation and inspiration is how you take what is there and make it your own.

Does MLG allow the needler?

I don't want to play in a plyalist that doesn't allow the needler

also, I guess I'm a scrub bk because I like the radar and I always feel naked without it

Enfinit

Ordnance* - Please and thank you.

Just for clarification:

or·di·nance [awr-dn-uhns] noun
1. an authoritative rule or law; a decree or command.
2. a public injunction or regulation: a city ordinance against excessive horn blowing.
3. something believed to have been ordained, as by a deity or destiny.

ord·nance [awrd-nuhns] noun
1. cannon or artillery.
2. military weapons with their equipment, ammunition, etc.
3. the branch of an army that procures, stores, and issues, weapons, munitions, and combat vehicles and maintains arsenals for their development and testing.

nillapuddin

In Infinity gametypes there are still Weapon drops, the only difference is the weapons that spawn are "shuffled"

So there will still be [a weapon] in the rocks outside of Blood Gulch, it just wont be the shotgun everytime.

Infinity is not a purely personal ordnance driven gametype.

Am I correct in this assessment?
(I pretty confident I am)

edit:
love ya unknown, but that aint Reach friend.
thats some glorious Halo CE art

Picker of Nits confirmed...

Why the hell did I laugh so hard at this?? Maybe cuz I'm flying..

Anyway, something cool I picked up after listening to this - Awakening

Halo Concept Art titled Awakening:

And another side note, I was hoping we got this caliber of drama in Reach:

Not going to correct but... okay I am going to correct you: the first artwork is not from Reach. It's an artwork from Halo 1.

They were released leading up to Reach's release I thought though.. Either way, Halo concept art then :b

Why the hell did I laugh so hard at this?? Maybe cuz I'm flying..

Anyway, something cool I picked up after listening to this - Awakening

Halo Reach Concept Art titled Awakening:

And another side note, I was hoping we got this caliber of drama in Reach:
Not going to correct but... okay I am going to correct you: the first artwork is not from Reach. It's an artwork from Halo 1.

In Infinity gametypes there are still Weapon drops, the only difference is the weapons that spawn are "shuffled"

So there will still be [a weapon] in the rocks outside of Blood Gulch, it just wont be the shotgun everytime.

Infinity is not a purely personal ordnance driven gametype.

Am I correct in this assessment?
(I pretty confident I am)

I thought there was the possibility of that spawn not being used at all. There could be locations on the map. Only 6 weapons so 2 spawns will contain nothing. I could be wrong though.

Regardless, you won't always be albe to just walk outside and get shotgun and camp your base. The maps will change.

Ugh that #4 play Cyren. The triple, shit like that gets me so depressed Halo has this way of killing people with such random dumb shit. There had to be some kind of hidden aim assist/magnetism forcing that to happen cause theres just no way.

Really wish bullets wouldn't "deflect"

Top Bottom