• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

I was looking at this the other day.

hoX0x.jpg

GoldenEye
WUkQI.jpg

same year, as stated

and yes indeed it's a tasteless joke

FFUUUUUU at Mario/SI thing!

one interesting tidbit about the Manta level in SMS:
images

At the end of "The Shining", when Dick Halloran, Danny and Wendy are running from the flaming hotel, Dick notices, 'a ghostly manta shape, floating away over the hotel. It was paper thin, like a shadow, and then broke into smaller forms before turning into smoke and drifting away'. This seems too close to be mere coincidence

(thanks to the one who found this, Steven LeBlanc)

Okay, MINDBLOWING

RoadDogg

Wayne's World (movie) features Sonic 1 beta footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JKEhIGOoqk

Is there a clip of the whole scene? I'm curious about the context it was used in since there is some guy over the game play. I haven't watched the movie in 10+ years so I don't remember this at all.

Edit: Here it is. In movie commercial for Noah's Arcade. Now I am even more curious on the back story of why that game footage was picked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZ4yPP0HQM

ss_lemonade

Not a game, but just something I remember noticing like 10 or so years ago. I was reading an issue of Tips & Tricks and saw a page ad with multiple small Tips and Tricks front covers. One of them had a barcode that didn't look like a barcode, but were bolded letter to look like one. It spelled out "Expert Gamer Sucks" lol

Vinnk

You mean the disk system music? It was posted in this thread back when it was first found out in 2010. Nice to have all 4 versions in a single video though I guess.

Sorry, didn't catch it in the thread. I guess you guys did know it then. I love this thread, but I really need a few hours to pour through the entire thing.

MikeOShay

Neo Member
Video of the GameCube menu secrets. 1 you probably already know, 1 you might know and 1 I bet you didn't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gGI9waU2P8&feature=colike

Didn't the Nintendo forum the guy cites in the video get it from here originally?

Either way, though the FDS theme easter egg has been discussed here a few times, I don't actually remember the 4-controller intro theme being mentioned (and hadn't heard about it until now), so that's cool.

Peagles

For some reason I always preferred the one controller one, my brother and I always used to do it before booting up REmake, just for the contrast lols...

Het_Nkik

For some reason I always preferred the one controller one, my brother and I always used to do it before booting up REmake, just for the contrast lols...

Did that in front of my friend once. He didn't see what game I put in and said, "What are you playing, Pikmin?" (he didn't know how the boot-up sound worked). And then BAM. Resident Evil.

I'm stealing this from another thread because it blew my mind:

I just noticed for the first time in that Metal Storm pic I posted, the background features the battleship from R-Type's stage 3. Pretty cool :)

metal-storm-u-201012270952345.jpg

Warship-Full_by_Fel1230.gif

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The 6 Craziest Ways Creators Hid Themselves in Video Games from Cracked blew my mind a few times.

Kind of LTTP, but I never new that Romero is the boss of Doom 2, that you can actually phone Kratos thanks to an easter egg in God of War and about the messages from Miyamoto and Iwata in Metroid.

The list:
#6. God of War -- Hit the Statues 400 Times and You Can Phone the Creator of the Game (and the Main Character)
#5. Doom II: Hell on Earth -- The Real Boss Is John Romero
#4. Chrono Trigger -- Win the Game Super Fast, Attend a Developer Party at the End of Time
#3. MDK2 -- The Developers Are Hiding in the Stars, Literally (Also They're Insane)
#2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption -- Unlock the Secret Radio Messages from Nintendo's Headquarters.
#1. Hyperdimension Neptunia mk.2 -- The Creator's Face Is a Weapon

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The 6 Craziest Ways Creators Hid Themselves in Video Games from Cracked blew my mind a few times.

Kind of LTTP, but I never new that Romero is the boss of Doom 2, that you can actually phone Kratos thanks to an easter egg in God of War and about the messages from Miyamoto and Iwata in Metroid.
Actually, I never knew Romero wasn't the "official" boss of Doom 2 until much later. I used cheats in every game as a kid, and because I couldn't beat the boss the way it's intended, I always had to use noclip and beat the shit out of Romero's head. So for me, that was the only way to win the game :p

Wow, some of those were crazy. Disappointed at the lack of Scott's Mystical Head, though;

In the Rise of the Triad level 'The Room' you can find the secret item 'Scott's Mystical Head' - it's a digitized photograph of Apogee president Scott Miller's head, when you pick it up a sound file plays "SCOTT'S MYSTICAL HEAD!!!" and you receive 2,764,331 points which is part of the old Apogee mail order number; 1-800-276-4331

1058full.jpg

Rich!

Did you know that in the Fallout: New Vegas DLC Lonesome Road you can find a fossilized dog named "Seymour," in an obvious reference to Jurassic Bark, an Emmy-nominated episode of Futurama?

Seymour.png

Mike M

Nick N
Did you know that in the Fallout: New Vegas DLC Lonesome Road you can find a fossilized dog named "Seymour," in an obvious reference to Jurassic Bark, an Emmy-nominated episode of Futurama?

Seymour.png

The ending to that episode is like getting punched in the heart so hard you think you'll never know happiness again. If you didn't at least tear up just a little, you are a soulless monster.

Clipper

Of all the things posted in this thread, this is by far the least mind blowing fact I've ever encountered, to a staggering amount.

Just...ah, forget it.
This is just hurtful and adds nothing to the thread. Nothing in this thread is going to be mindblowing to everybody.

Sorry it wasn't up to mindblowing standards. I'll refrain from posting anything else in this thread, then.
Don't take one negative comment too harshly. While I'm one of the guys that finds the music comparisons a little boring, you actually did this one the right way, explaining how you just never noticed the similarity until now and that you find it pretty cool rather than claiming there must be some sort of inspiration or plagiarism going on here.

Unfortunately, the "How did I not see this before?" class of mindblow gets a lot of hate in the thread and you really just need to try to filter it out.

Wow, some of those were crazy. Disappointed at the lack of Scott's Mystical Head, though;

In the Rise of the Triad level 'The Room' you can find the secret item 'Scott's Mystical Head' - it's a digitized photograph of Apogee president Scott Miller's head, when you pick it up a sound file plays "SCOTT'S MYSTICAL HEAD!!!" and you receive 2,764,331 points which is part of the old Apogee mail order number; 1-800-276-4331

1058full.jpg

Another game developer cameo in ROTT was the final boss, El Oscuro:

OSCURO2.GIF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2inIuLFqI

El Oscuro was the digitized sprite of Tom Hall. Who was the creator of Commander Keen and one of the original employees of id Software. He was also the lead designer for ROTT.

Rich!

Sorry it wasn't up to mindblowing standards. I'll refrain from posting anything else in this thread, then.

No no no. I was only joking. I just found it funny, but that obviously didn't come across well in my post. I love coming here and finding stuff like that, as its always cool to see what others have missed for whatever reason!

That's what's mindblowing in most cases, and yours was by far one of the better ones!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The ending to that episode is like getting punched in the heart so hard you think you'll never know happiness again. If you didn't at least tear up just a little, you are a soulless monster.

it was tearjerking until it was retconned that he had a happy life with fry

RoadDogg

it was tearjerking until it was retconned that he had a happy life with fry

What? I'm guessing this is a newer season episode and not a new ending they made for re-runs right? I have seen the episode tons of times on rerun and always get sad or turn it of right before the very end to avoid getting sad...

jaxword

What? I'm guessing this is a newer season episode and not a new ending they made for re-runs right? I have seen the episode tons of times on rerun and always get sad or turn it of right before the very end to avoid getting sad...

Watch the first Futurama movie. It's not a bad retcon, it just explores a bit more of the doggy's life.

Cheerilee

Since you haven't seen the retcon, did you notice in the episode that the fossilized Seymour was standing upright, and the one who closed his eyes was lying down?

The writers noticed. So they added a bit more story.

In any case, Fry still kills Seymour in the future when he gives up on him like Seymour never did, and lets him burn in lava.

Top Bottom