• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

lGi5z.png

Without subtitles:

cOe5y.png

EDIT: Ghaleon, any chance I could get either one of these in the OT circulation? :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It's there, but you'll only ever take damage in extreme cases.

Is there a situation on a real map where fall damage can kill you?

And I couldn't get into Metroid Prime. Got lost, got stuck, gave up. Not my style of games to be honest.

GhaleonEB

I was going to say, I never noticed. Which I now realize is something I rather like. :D

I don't recall taking any fall damage, though I did do some large leaps. I reflexively crouched on impact as with Reach to soften it. Can you say if that still helps, David?

All that is good. But all of the sound effects also sound...processed. Like every sound went through the same sci-fi filter and came out altered in the same way; there's a more narrow range that all the various audio effects span. Gunfire and movement and weapon fire and vehicles all have this same dulled sound to them on the edges that I am struggling to verbalize, but it makes most effects sound artificial. I hear a gun shot, and think - wow, someone came up with a neat effect for that gun, rather than, that gun sounds awesome. Some weapons, especially the Forerunner weapons, really lack punch. Think Halo 2 SMG.
I find this to be my perception of the UNSC weaponry, their sounds give off the impression of energy weapons to me. Like a layer in the sound effect accidentally removed that actually gives me the sense that a bullet is being fired out of what I'm holding.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I was going to say, I never noticed. Which I now realize is something I rather like. :D

I don't recall taking any fall damage, though I did do some large leaps. I reflexively crouched on impact as with Reach to soften it. Can you say if that still helps, David?

It does help, but you're not going to take damage jumping around most places on our maps. Can't guarantee there isn't a jump somewhere that would cause damage, but I can't think of any.

GhaleonEB

It does help, but you're not going to take damage jumping around most places on our maps. Can't guarantee there isn't a jump somewhere that would cause damage, but I can't think of any.

Great to hear. Like I said, I never noticed on any of the maps, and I did some jumps that would cause damage in Reach.I think it just helps explain part of why movement around the maps was so fluid. I can't ever recall getting snagged on anything, or stunned by a fall. Good stuff.

Vire

Kinda unrelated to the topic at hand but I was just admiring the cutscenes in the press kit download of the ViDoc. Just looks unbelievable.

Has 343 commented on how long the cutscenes are? Like if you added them all up it would equal to X amount of time?

I believe Reach was about an hour or so.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just watched the direct feed video. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That audio man...that audio. Christ almighty. Between the sounds the player is making, and the sound of complete chaos on the battlefield, I wasn't sure whether to slam a car door on my boner or go into shellshock.

I don't know how anyone could complain about the new gun sounds. Although I have to question whether or not there is some in-joke at 343 about the DMR shitting on the BR, the BR still sounds ridiculous, like a sputtering lip noise, while the DMR sounds almost like a bomb exploding every time it fires off a round.

And I think the announcer sounds fine. This audio assault is going to pump me up big time when I'm playing. Cannot wait.

Tashi

Oh...my...God.

Baby's first First Person Adventure, how does it work?

Halo changed me bro. I don't have the patience for shit like I used to. It kinda sucks.

edit: Also, getting lost in games is like my number 1 pet peeve.

Now, take those kind of moments, and multiply them for everyone, and you can get a feel for how they will probably work. In every game, a fight or two will be nudged your way because of an option you picked at spawn. And everyone will likely have that happen, at least a couple of times, which will be enough to make them feel rewarded for unlocking their mod and using it, but not overpowering the match.

Maybe the fun will rule the day and all the hand wringing will be for naught, but I still came away from many fights feeling almost apologetic. Sorry dude, I picked the right mod! For that moment, anyway. They were not overpowering, but I'm still uncomfortable with this line having been crossed. Time will tell.
Great post.

Computron

It does help, but you're not going to take damage jumping around most places on our maps.
Can't guarantee there isn't a jump somewhere that would cause damage, but I can't think of any.

How about this one?

i3JkLVMFSVxSY.gif

Have the fall damage and stun distances changed since this?

Kibbles

Just watched the direct feed video. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

That audio man...that audio. Christ almighty. Between the sounds the player is making, and the sound of complete chaos on the battlefield, I wasn't sure whether to slam a car door on my boner or go into shellshock.

I don't know how anyone could complain about the new gun sounds. Although I have to question whether or not there is some in-joke at 343 about the DMR shitting on the BR, the BR still sounds ridiculous, like a sputtering lip noise, while the DMR sounds almost like a bomb exploding every time it fires off a round.

And I think the announcer sounds fine. This audio assault is going to pump me up big time when I'm playing. Cannot wait.

Is there a new direct feed video I missed, or is this about the broll that was released a couple days ago?

Computron

Well that is with decreased gravity soo..
1) higher jump height
2) not a jump you could normally make.. dat gap would swallow you

You are missing the point entirely and overthinking this.

Gravity settings wouldn't matters after you are out of the zone, that would make no sense.
It would make sense for it to switch back to default as soon as you are out of the zone.
The zone was only about 10-15 feet high, he was outside of it half a second after he jumped.

The jump height doesn't matter either, you could easily find a place where you could fall the height of the peak of his jump.
For example; playing on forge maps, using a tall mancannon, or hopping out of a banshee.

That is the only time we have seen a normal fall that would lead to a death.
I am wondering if it's like that in it's current implementation in Halo 4.

It seems about the same as Reach from that GIF.

So, David or Frankie, could you guys please be more specific and elaborate?

Pop

Gravity settings wouldn't matters after you are out of the zone, that would make no sense.
It would make sense for it to switch back to default as soon as you are out of the zone.
The zone was only about 10-15 feet high, he was outside of it half a second after he jumped.

The jump height doesn't matter either, you could easily find a place where you could fall the height of the peak of his jump
For example, Forge maps, using a tall mancannon, or hopping out of a banshee.

This is the only gauge we have of a normal fall that would lead to a death.
I am wondering if it's really that strict in it's current implementation in Halo 4.

It seems about the same as Reach from that video.

So, David or Frankie, could you guys please be more specific and elaborate?

Chill baby... :)

Fall damage looks fine for normal circumstances

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A few things I noticed.

Ghost took longer to accelerate.
I liked bumper Jumper.
Jessica is very nice in person, Frankie is manly.
Thruster pack is awesome.
Heckfu smuggles kids in his suitcase.
Halo 4 is more about better shooting and less about melee everything.

Tashi

A few things I noticed.

Ghost took longer to accelerate.
I liked bumper Jumper.
Jessica is very nice in person, Frankie is manly.
Thruster pack is awesome.
Heckfu smuggles kids in his suitcase.
Halo 4 is more about better shooting and less about melee everything.

Lol is Jessica not nice online or something? Hahaha

I love hearing about less melee. I've grown to dislike it in Halo

Swarmerr

So as sick as halo 4 looks right now.. I still can't get hyped, three words..

Skill based rank

Until this is confirmed in multiple playlists I cannot bring myself to preorder the game. Granted it looks fantastic but I know without ranks I will eventually grow bored of it.

Did anyone just watch that battle for OS on OGRE 2's stream?

/wrist

No matter how long it takes, now matter how much I personally have to bitch.. Powerups WILL return as pick-ups to Halo somewhere down the line.
2240204_o.gif

Make it happen 343.. Make. It. Happen.

Ramirez

So as sick as halo 4 looks right now.. I still can't get hyped, three words..

Skill based rank

Until this is confirmed in multiple playlists I cannot bring myself to preorder the game. Granted it looks fantastic but I know without ranks I will eventually grow bored of it.

You couldn't possibly have fun with the game unless your e-peen is stroked?

FyreWulff

Like when playing on Super Cragmire.

I feel like blowing off some steam and picking a direction from the Sheraton and just walk that way for a while. Roommate suggested we walk in the direction of the hurricane for some milkshakes. Good idea?

Edit: fucking iPad autocorrect

Top Bottom