• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Pics are uploading, please stand by.
Some new onion pics as a starter:
smallCIMG1173.jpg

smallCIMG1174.jpg

Is it "No cooking week" for the rest of GAF?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The Boeuf Stroganoff (Beef Stroganoff) is a dish with rather nebulous origins. Most books say it was created for the russian general of the same name in the 19th century. There is an abundance of recipes over the world with the lowest common denominator being the ingredients beef, onions and sour cream. usual side dishes are noodles or rice, with some variations mentioning hashed browns, too. I chose homemade Spätzle as the side dish, just because I haven't made them for a long time. The recipe for the Spätzle can be used for the "Käsespätzle" at the beginning of this thread, making the preparation 100% authentic. Perhaps Hitokage will see some parallels between the making of the Spätzle and the Käsespätzle ;).

Special utensils needed:
A "Spätzle Hobel" for forming the Spätzle directly into the boiling water:
smallCIMG1178.jpg

You can substitute this with a sieve like this, but expect the handling to be a bitch:
smallCIMG1204.jpg

And a skimming ladle to get the noodles out of the water:
smallCIMG1180.jpg

And a hand mixer (not pictured).

If you are a Pro or a Swabian (unlike me!), you can spread the dough on a wooden plank and scrape/shave the dough directly into the water. A nice explanation of this process in english language can be found here:
http://www.safaribears.de/content.php?page=ChezTeddyspatzle

First is the preparation of the dough. put 6 eggs in a mixing bowl and prepare about half a litre of water. Add a decent amount of salt to the eggs (I used 6 spoons like this):
smallCIMG1167.jpg

smallCIMG1168.jpg

prepare about 600 grams of flour (no need to sieve it this time). Add about half the water to the eggs, stir away and add the flour in three or four portions:
smallCIMG1171.jpg

smallCIMG1172.jpg

If the dough becomes too stiff, add some more water until it has a thick but smooth and nearly liquid texture:
smallCIMG1195.jpg

Let the dough rest for a few minutes.

Put a large pot filled to 2/3 with water on the stove, add a decent amount of salt and turn the heat to max:
smallCIMG1177.jpg

Clean your kitchen sink, fill it with cold water and place the Spätzle preparation thingie in it until use. By cooling down the device, you will have a little bit more time before the cooking water will heat this thing up and render it unusuable while cooking the dough:
smallCIMG1179.jpg

On to the Stroganoff.
The Stroganoff itself is very easy to prepare. First, cut one or two small onions to small cubes (action pics in above post), then cut the meat in slices, then the slices diagonally in not too small stripes (you will want the bite of this tender meat):
smallCIMG1175.jpg

smallCIMG1176.jpg

Cut about 4 to 5 small or medium pickles in half and then in stripes:
smallCIMG1169.jpg

Heat a pan to max (spritz test!), add some neutral oil and stir-fry the meat in two portions for about 30 seconds each. You can leave the first portion in the pan this time:
smallCIMG1181.jpg

smallCIMG1182.jpg

When the meat has gotten some color, add the onions and let them get glassy:
smallCIMG1183.jpg

Then add the cut pickles, the beef broth or essence, powdered paprika, mustard, tomato puree and let it cook/simmer on low heat until preparation:
smallCIMG1184.jpg

smallCIMG1185.jpg

smallCIMG1187.jpg

smallCIMG1188.jpg

smallCIMG1190.jpg

smallCIMG1191.jpg

smallCIMG1193.jpg

Now to the preparation of the Spätzle. Put a bowl next to the pot with the boiling water, place the Spätzle device on top of the pot, put about a quarter of the dough on it and spread away:
smallCIMG1198.jpg

smallCIMG1197.jpg

This will reault in a drop-like shape of the Spätze, which makes them "Köpfle" (little buttons) in Swabia.
When the Spätzle swim on top of the boiling water, get them out with the skimming ladle and into the bowl.
EDIT: added pic:
smallCIMG1201.jpg

Repeat the above steps until the dough is finished. Add a little piece of butter to the Spätzle to prevent them sticking together.

Finish Line:
Immediately before serving, add the sour cream to the Stroganoff. I like it only slightly mixed, so the sour cream will stay visible. If you like it, you can mix it stronger and/or add some strach to get a more homogenous sauce:
smallCIMG1202.jpg

Done!

Serve with pride, because this dish is really tasty and a great opener for any alcohol-induced night out.
smallCIMG1203.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn.
Feedback and comments are heavily encouraged!
Keep'em coming!:lol

ChryZ

Here we go, I just cooked Dwenjang Jjigae and took some pics in the process.

Dwenjang Jjigae is a tasty korean bean paste stew with meat and vegetables.
Being from Europe and having no korean roots, I'm not claiming authenticity.
I've read 3-5 recipes off the net and created my own version of the dish.

Ingredients:

4 TBSP dwenjang paste (bean paste)
2 TBSP gochujang paste (chili paste)
1 TBSP honey
1 CUP dried shitake mushrooms
300 G frozen spinach (10.5 oz)
300 G minced meat (pork/beef) (10.5 oz)
6 X dried anchovies
3 X red chili
1 X zucchini
2 X white onion
1 X leek
5 X garlic clover

Dwenjang_Jjigae_01.jpg

Dwenjang_Jjigae_02.jpg

chop up the veggies:

Dwenjang_Jjigae_03.jpg

brown the minced onion/meat:

Dwenjang_Jjigae_04.jpg

remove the meat from the pot, now for the stock, fill the pot with 1 liter (4-5 cups)
water, add garlic, anchovies and shitake mushrooms, let boil for a couple of minutes

Dwenjang_Jjigae_05.jpg

remove the spend anchovies and add the dwenjang/gochujang paste

Dwenjang_Jjigae_06.jpg

give it a good stir and add the chopped veggies

Dwenjang_Jjigae_07.jpg

when the veggies are done, then add the spinach ... it's almost done, season to taste
with honey, sake, salt and pepper

Dwenjang_Jjigae_08.jpg

let simmer for a few more minutes, but don't over-cook the spinach

Dwenjang_Jjigae_09.jpg

serve with a drizzle sesame oil, roasted sesame and some of the leeks' green

Dwenjang_Jjigae_10.jpg

enjoyjoy

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@chryz:
This looks mighty fine! I am impressed. Where did you get the korean ingredients, especially the pastes and dried anchovies? The "Asia stores" in my surroundings are more chinese- oriented and don't carry this kind of stuff. Grab yourself a badge and consider yourself a WORTHY CONTRIBUTOR to the fine arts of home-style cooking!:lol

btw, I own the same knife.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OnkelC said:
Is it "No cooking week" for the rest of GAF?

I just haven't been able to face the thread after my 120 page offline version of the cookbook became corupted. I have 120 MB of a ****ed word document sitting on my ipod. Can't copy, cant open. ARG

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
catfish said:
I just haven't been able to face the thread after my 120 page offline version of the cookbook became corupted. I have 120 MB of a ****ed word document sitting on my ipod. Can't copy, cant open. ARG
Shi... thats tough.
Keep up the posting, though! I feel the love for this thread disappearing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Todays dish will be a variation of a vegetable quiche, courtesy of the wife.
The ingredients are:
smallCIMG1205.jpg

Wheat flour and a cube of yeast,
one leek,
some spring onions,
a bunch of carrots,
some smoked ham or bacon with little fat,
a cup of creme fraiche,
one egg
some white wine,
some cheese,
salt and pepper.

Preparation has already started, pictures will be up between 8pm and 9pm Berlin time. Stay tuned.

ChryZ

Fallofmart said:
That Korean dish looks really good! This thread continues to impress!
OnkelC said:
@chryz:
This looks mighty fine! I am impressed. Where did you get the korean ingredients, especially the pastes and dried anchovies? The "Asia stores" in my surroundings are more chinese- oriented and don't carry this kind of stuff. Grab yourself a badge and consider yourself a WORTHY CONTRIBUTOR to the fine arts of home-style cooking!:lol

btw, I own the same knife.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm really enjoying this thread and seeing all the effort going on kinda made me feel guilty for not contributing. Ha! Now I'm fine ;)

Regarding those ingredients, my local "asia store" got them all, the anchovies were actually from a thai brand. Japanese supermarkets tend to have that stuff too. Bonn isn't too far away from Du"sseldorf, on the "Immermannstrasse" near the train station are two japanese stores, they got the goods.

Isn't the knife great? It was dirt cheap ... like 15EUR. I'm sharpening it with a waterstone every now and then. It's doing a great job for 3-4 years now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OnkelC said:
Shi... thats tough.
Keep up the posting, though! I feel the love for this thread disappearing.

I've been pretty busy with some friends leaving NL for sunnier skies and associated partying/drinking.

My dinner last night
heineken.jpg

probably take a crack at something monday/tuesday.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The Quiche is originally a dish with a shortcrust or filo pastry, a vegetable topping with creme fraiche/egg mix and some cheese for size. For tonight, we prepared a variant with a yeast dough and some saisonal veggies. We also used ham, but you can leave this out if you want a vegetarian variant. The egg used for binding the veggies with the topping can be left out, too; in this case, a hint of starch added to the creme fraiche for enhanced binding. This is great as a diner dish, but also works out well if cut in smaller portions and served cold at BBQs or parties. Drinks to go along can be white wine or beer.

Special utensils needed:
A mixer with kneading hooks and an oven pan (both pictured before).

First prepare the vegetables. Peel and slice the carrots (you can scrape the peel off with the back of a knife, too), cut the leek and the spring onions in rings:
smallCIMG1206.jpg

smallCIMG1207.jpg

smallCIMG1208.jpg

smallCIMG1209.jpg

smallCIMG1210.jpg

smallCIMG1211.jpg

Next, cut the smoked ham or bacon in stripes (technique shown courtesy of the wife):
smallCIMG1212.jpg

smallCIMG1213.jpg

smallCIMG1214.jpg

Heat some neutral oil in a pot, roast the ham in it for a few moments, put the veggies in the pot and add two small glasses of white wine:
smallCIMG1215.jpg

smallCIMG1216.jpg

smallCIMG1217.jpg

smallCIMG1218.jpg

smallCIMG1219.jpg

Stir it for a few moments, the put a lid on the pot and let it cook for a 4-5 minutes. The result should be slighly collapsed veggies and a decent amount of decoction(sp?):
smallCIMG1222.jpg

smallCIMG1224.jpg

Put the pot from the stove and let it cool down with closed lid.
Next, prepare the dough. I explained the preparation in the "Sausage fest" post, so feel free to have a look there if you have got questions. This time, I used milk instead of water for the dough:
smallCIMG1231.jpg

The kitchen towel I used for covering the bowl was by accident one of the towels that one of my grandmothers used. In the dark ages before video games, people killed their time with stitching patterns and sayings in said towels. The translation for this one is roughly:
smallCIMG1235.jpg

"Five were invited/Ten people came/stretch the soup with some water/serve them all with the same!":lol Translation skills -1

After letting the dough rest for about 60 to 70 minutes with kneading it at half time, spread it into the oven pan (put some olive oil in the pan first to ease spreading):
smallCIMG1241.jpg

Next, spread the veggies generously over the dough. Best use some pincers and let the veggies drip out over the pot before spreading:
smallCIMG1245.jpg

smallCIMG1246.jpg

Now prepare the topping. Mix the creme fraiche with the egg, add the veggie decoction and some salt/pepper for intensive taste:
smallCIMG1242.jpg

smallCIMG1247.jpg

smallCIMG1249.jpg

smallCIMG1248.jpg

Pour the topping evenly over the quiche and spread the grated cheese for the finish:
smallCIMG1250.jpg

smallCIMG1252.jpg

smallCIMG1254.jpg

Put the quiche in the oven at 3/4 heat. I had some excess dough, so I prepared a little bread for tomorrow:
smallCIMG1256.jpg

smallCIMG1255.jpg

Finish line:
Bake the quiche until the cheese gets golden brown and crunchy (about 30 to 40 minutes):
smallCIMG1257.jpg

DONE!
Serve directly out of the pan and add some dip if you like (I had some bought Tsatsiki):
smallCIMG1261.jpg

The dough should be crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside:
smallCIMG1264.jpg

smallCIMG1267.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn!

I had a lazy evening for the wife preparing all major parts of this dish.
If you liked it, please say "Thank you Jeannie!" to honor her efforts:)

Tomorrows dish will be a worthy sunday special, especially FNordChan will like it, because the main ingredient is PORK FILLET.

Comments and/or suggestions are heartily encouraged. Please give your feedback, as it makes me go on posting here.

Zensetsu

Thanks for the quiche recipie, I think I will make it for my sister's birthday.

Btw, I have the exact same glasses that you use to pour the white wine. :lol It's a small world for kitchen utensils.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
LazyLoki, Winged Creature and Zensetsu:
Thank you for the feedback. This is what keeps this thread going!:lol

For the viewing pleasure, something else from the Westfalian outback:

Excursion into Kuisine-in-law, part two: Rindsrouladen (Beef rolls)

„Rindsrouladen“ are a traditional sunday lunch for the whole family. Like the „Kassler“, they are mainly prepared the day before serving, leaving more time for the sunday morning church visit (no joke!).

Rindsrouladen consist of thin cut slices of beef shoulder or fore-shank, which are spiced, filled and rolled up in various styles, then braised and served with cabbage, Kraut or stewed vegetables and potatoes as side dishes.
smallCIMG0912.jpg

The Mother-in-law prepared them traditional style. The filling consists of mustard, onions and a piece of fat bacon. sliced pickles are common, but optional.

First, put the beef cuts on a plain surface and spread some mustard on them:
smallCIMG0914.jpg

Cut some onions in quarters and make some decent fat bacon cubes to accompany them:
smallCIMG0903.jpg

Add some salt and pepper and roll them tightly:
smallCIMG0920.jpg

smallCIMG0921.jpg

put a „Rouladennadel“ through them to keep the rolls in shape.
smallCIMG0925.jpg

As the traditional „Rouladen“ are a real hefty dish (even for my standards), I tried a greek variation. For this, I spread some cream cheese on the beef slices and spiced them with some rosemary, marjorie, black pepper and thyme. Next, I cut some small tomatoes in half, removed the cores/seeds and cut them to slices Then I added some sliced greek feta cheese, added some more marjorie, salt and pepper:
smallCIMG0910.jpg

roll them up as above and fix them with a needle, too (can also be done with a wooden toothpick):
smallCIMG0926.jpg

next, heat some oil until it starts smoking and fry the rolls from all sides until they get a tasty color:
smallCIMG0931.jpg

smallCIMG0929.jpg

Watch out for your clothing, the hot oil starts splashing violently ;)
smallCIMG0940.jpg

Both variations commence the same, so the further steps are identical:
Add some water to the pan, put a lid on it and let it braise for one to two hours on low heat (the longer the braising time, the more tender meat as the result):
smallCIMG0936.jpg

smallCIMG0937.jpg

Add some more water if needed (I added a tomato cut in half for some more fruitiness). After one to two hours, turn off the heat and let them rest overnight.

The next day „Vormittag“, about an hour before estimated lunchtime, put the heat back on lowest setting and let the rolls heat slowly:
smallCIMG0947.jpg

smallCIMG0945.jpg

Next, the side dishes: The mother-in-law chose salt potatoes and brussels sprouts with a „light“ (as in opposite to dark ;)) cream sauce:
smallCIMG0948.jpg

smallCIMG0953.jpg

About 10 minutes before serving, thicken the beef rolls sauce with some starch (I just added some more cream cheese, hot mustard and another two tomatoes):
smallCIMG0950.jpg

put the rolls on a pre-heated serving plate and press the sauce through a hairnet sieve to get a smooth result:
smallCIMG0954.jpg

smallCIMG0957.jpg

smallCIMG0960.jpg

Serve the sauce in a separate pot or sauciere.

Finish Line:
Twelve o‘clock iz ze traditional lunch time! Sunday lunches are a special ritual, as they are usualy taken in a separate dining room or the living room („Gute Stube“), and an increased effort is taken for table preparations:
smallCIMG0958.jpg

smallCIMG0951.jpg

smallCIMG0952.jpg

Done! Heart attack just spoons away! (top to bottom: traditional „Rouladen“, inside shot, inside shot from my variation):
smallCIMG0962.jpg

smallCIMG0963.jpg

smallCIMG0964.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this little excursion. Feedback and questions are very, very
welcome! Keep‘em coming!:lol

Hooker

It looks pretty good, but I HATE brussels sprouts, don't like potatoes, lactose intolerant and I'm allergic to cheese...

(yes I know, a Dutchman allergic to cheese. But to my defense, I'm half Curaçaoleño :))

So I don't think I'll be trying that recipe out soon :lol :lol :lol

My sis is cooking again tonight though, I picked out lots of thai food, I'll try to report from there :D

weehomer

That looks amazing, OnkelC! I'm defininely going to have to try that!

This weekend is Labor Day in the US, so a lot of people are out of town and having BBQs. Labor Day is Monday, so don't be surprised if there aren't too many posts until Tuesday or Wednesday. But keep up the good work! I'll try to post some pictures of my own BBQ with the family on Monday if I can. :)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Haven't checked this thread lately, but wow! That quiche looks amazing, maybe I'll surprise the wife with it when she gets home from work tonight. Awesome stuff Onkel!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hooker said:
It looks pretty good, but I HATE brussels sprouts, don't like potatoes, lactose intolerant and I'm allergic to cheese...

(yes I know, a Dutchman allergic to cheese. But to my defense, I'm half Curaçaoleño :))

So I don't think I'll be trying that recipe out soon :lol :lol :lol

My sis is cooking again tonight though, I picked out lots of thai food, I'll try to report from there :D

Well, STEER CLEAR of our tonights' dish by all means, then!:lol :lol :lol It will be a cheese and lactose fest by all means. But doing it without said ingredients would be like a knife with blade and handle missing...
I am really looking forward to your/ sour sis's next contribution. Greetings to your sister, too!
Btw, the wife liked your last contribution, too, especially the almond cigars.

weehomer said:
That looks amazing, OnkelC! I'm defininely going to have to try that!

This weekend is Labor Day in the US, so a lot of people are out of town and having BBQs. Labor Day is Monday, so don't be surprised if there aren't too many posts until Tuesday or Wednesday. But keep up the good work! I'll try to post some pictures of my own BBQ with the family on Monday if I can.

Thank you for the feedback, I (and the other posters) really appreciate it! Have a nice Labor Day, NeoGAFfers, and give us some pics of real genuine US of A BBQs please!:lol

The dish for tonight will be, as a hommage to FNordChan, who designed my beautiful avatar, my specialty "Scheinefilet Indisch" (pork fillet "India" style).

The ingredients (for two persons) are:
smallCIMG1269.jpg

one pork fillet
curry powder
three to five really ripe bananas
rice (Basmati or Thai rice are perfect, but Uncle Ben's will do, too)
two cups of cream
one cup of creme fraiche and some cream cheese (not pictured)
copious amount of grated cheese

Preparation will start around 6pm Berlin time, recipe will be up around 9pm to 10pm Berlin time. Stay tuned and keep'em coming!

bovo

If I ever get round to cooking, there may be pictures of a Caramelised Onion and Goats Cheese Tart tonight.

Yes I know - more cheese - sorry...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo said:
If I ever get round to cooking, there may be pictures of a Caramelised Onion and Goats Cheese Tart tonight.

Yes I know - more cheese - sorry...
Sounds Great!
I'm looking forward to it!

Pics are uploading, please stand by.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
"Schweinefilet Indisch" (pork fillet India style) is a worthy sunday dish and can be served without hesitation for guests. The recipe for this dish was handed down to me by one of my grandmothers. Actually, the indian origins of this dish are rather nebulous, but my granny said she prepared this since the late 50s when curry spice and bananas were still considered "exotic ingredients":lol

I like the name and use it further to honor her cooking skills. The contrast of the spicy curry and the caramelized sweetness of the baked bananas make this dish a nice and somewhat exotic alternative to usual casseroles.

As I mentioned before, I chose this dish tonight to give a special "thanks" to Forum Member FNordChan, who created my Avatar that I like very much. He requested the preparation of a pork dish, which I am happy to oblige.

Special utensils needed: hairnet sieve, an oven pan, maybe some aluminum foil (all pictured before).
The following is not exactly needed, but helps with the preparation and serving of the rice:
smallCIMG1272.jpg

It is called a "rice ball". Tea drinkers of NeoGAF might know its smaller brother, the tea egg.

First, clean the rice if you use non-parboiled rice. Put the rice into a hairnet sieve and rinse it under cold water. When the water turns clear, the rice is OK (should take 30-90 seconds):
smallCIMG1273.jpg

smallCIMG1274.jpg

Next, put hte washed rice in the rice ball or directly in a pot with salted water. Do not turn the heat on yet:
smallCIMG1276.jpg

The fillet preparation is next. Wash the fillet under cold water and dry it up with some paper tissues, then remove tendons and the thin skin surrounding it:
smallCIMG1277.jpg

smallCIMG1278.jpg

smallCIMG1279.jpg

Result should be an intact piece of fillet with minimum cutaways:
smallCIMG1280.jpg

Cut the fillet in slices and give each slice a nice pat with the back of the knife:
smallCIMG1282.jpg

smallCIMG1283.jpg

Spread the slices on a cutting board and generously apply curry powder and some pepper (no salt yet) to both sides:
smallCIMG1285.jpg

let the slices rest for a few moments-

Next, rub some butter on the inside of the oven pan. This will help the caramelization of the bananas and prevent sticking:
smallCIMG1288.jpg

smallCIMG1289.jpg

Put a pan on the stove, heat to the max (spritz test!), add some oil and the excess butter, reduce heat to 3/4 from max and put the meat slices in the pan:
smallCIMG1290.jpg

smallCIMG1292.jpg

When "the heat reaches the top" of the meat pieces, aka the upper side of the slices starts to turn white, turn them over and add some salt to them. After about one to two minutes, remove them from the pan and store them on a plate or in a small bowl:
smallCIMG1294.jpg

smallCIMG1295.jpg

smallCIMG1296.jpg

reduce heat to 1/3 and remove the pan from the flame.
For the sauce, add the cream to the pan and stir until the roast stuff from the bottom of the pan is loosened, then add the creme fraiche and/or cream cheese of choice, a good helping of the curry powder, salt, pepper and the tomato puree:
smallCIMG1298.jpg

smallCIMG1299.jpg

Stir it in, put the pan back on the stove and let it reduce at low heat until needed. The sauce should have a really spicy and slightly hot taste. Rule of thumb: When you sweat while tasting, the sauce is OK!:lol

Heat the oven to around 3/4 of max heat and put the rice on the stove.

Next, cut the bananas in slices. I used all but one of the bananas pictured in the ingredients pic for this dish. Spread one third of the slices in the oven pan, then place one layer of meat and one layer of bananas like rooftiles into the pan:
smallCIMG1300.jpg

smallCIMG1301.jpg

The pan seems too big for this dish, so roll up some aluminum foil and place it like a dam against the end of the rooftiles:
smallCIMG1302.jpg

smallCIMG1304.jpg

The sauce should be ready by now. Add some last spices if you wish, then add the sauce to the meat and bananas:
smallCIMG1305.jpg

smallCIMG1306.jpg

smallCIMG1307.jpg

If the pressure in the pan is too high for your dam (like mine), you should stuff the free space in the pan with aluminum foil, too:
smallCIMG1308.jpg

The dish befor oven time looks like this:
smallCIMG1310.jpg

Add some grated cheese and wait until the rice starts boiling:
smallCIMG1309.jpg

When the rice is boiling, put the pan in the oven and leave it there until the rice is done (15-20 minutes):
smallCIMG1312.jpg

smallCIMG1314.jpg

Finish line:
get the rice out of the pot. With the rice ball, you can serve a nice ball of rice if you are careful:
smallCIMG1316.jpg

smallCIMG1317.jpg

Done!
Serve directly out of the pan and decorate with some banana slices (the last banana I spared for this was completely brown on the inside, so I spared you the look):
smallCIMG1319.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn and a nice Labor Day to the fellow NeoGAFfers.

Comments and feedback (positive as negative) are always welcome. Keep'em coming!

bovo

My second entry in this thread is much more time consuming than the first - it's a caramelised red onion and goat's cheese tart with new potatoes and runner beans.

Any UK-centric language can be translated after...

Ingredients for the tart are red onions, balsamic vinegar and goats cheese, with butter and plain flour for the pastry. When I took this photo, a kindly assistant had already made the pastry (two parts flour to one part butter, add some water and a bit of salt, and mix till you get a dough).

cogct2lt2.jpg

You can make the pastry cases in advance if you want. Roll out dough and put in small tins. You need to poke holes in them to stop them rising... Then put in oven for about 30minutes.

cogct3fs2.jpg

Slice your red onions finely (I used 3 medium onions), and put in a saucepan with some melted butter, about 3 tablespoons (tablespoon = 15ml) of balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper.

You need to cook these very slowly - about 30 minutes - to get the right caramelised taste. Stir them often.

cogct4qc9.jpg

While cooking the onions I tried out my brand new runner bean slicer!

cogct5wf1.jpg

Onions should look something like this when done.

cogct6uy1.jpg

Cut your goat's cheese into slices. Fill the pastry case with onions and put a slice of goat's cheese on top. When you've done them all, put back in the oven for about 20 minutes

cogct7yg2.jpg

Potatoes and runner beans cooking - I've put the runner beans in a steamer on top of the potatoes for about 5 minutes.

cogct8ey7.jpg

And the finished result.

cogct9gj2.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo, that looks mighty fine! Thanks for posting this. I would never have imagined that beans would go with this. Great contribution!

LazyLoki

memo to self: don't klick on this thread while being hungry at work with no food in sight for another 5 hours

sidenote: i love rindsrouladen. if i were to name a favourite meal, rouladen would be first that comes to mind...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
LazyLoki:
Thanks for the reply. I actually don't like Rouladen too much, but the preparation was interesting an imo worth sharing.

The dish for tonight will be the infamous MYSTERY DISH!!!!!!1
It will contain something from these:
smallCIMG0394.jpg

smallCIMG1320.jpg

Take your wildest guesses!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The Monday Night Labor Day special Mistery dish is:

MAC'N'CHEESE! YAY!

I had no time to shop some fresh stuff and wanted to try out bovos recipe anyway.

The ingredients were the same as bovo posted, i just had Emmentaler cheese instead of cheddar:
smallCIMG1323.jpg

Special utensils needed:
the trusty 'book for shamelessly copying the preparation:lol
smallCIMG1329.jpg

First, I prepared a pot of water with some salt and put it on the stove:
smallCIMG1322.jpg

The macaroni only need 5 minutes cooking time, so I started with the roux:
smallCIMG1330.jpg

smallCIMG1331.jpg

Water boils, noodles in:
smallCIMG1332.jpg

Milk'n'cheese to the roux:
smallCIMG1333.jpg

smallCIMG1334.jpg

smallCIMG1335.jpg

Finish Line with salt'n'mustard:
smallCIMG1336.jpg

smallCIMG1338.jpg

DONE!
Mixed the noodles with the sauce and serve. I felt like decorating this little gem with some pepper, basil, sage and a little fruit I don't know the english name of ("Physalis"?)
smallCIMG1340.jpg

Tasted Great!
Greetings and Guten Appetit! from Bonn.

Lemme have your feedback'n'comments!:lol

Icy

Banned
Did anyone ever get back to you on the Mac and Cheese dish from the Kraft box?

If not, its simply. Boil the noodles for 12 middles, drain. Do not rinse. Pour in the measured amount of milk needed and add the cheese packet to it (powder cheese stuff). Stir and let simmer until thick. It can be pretty nasty sometimes depending on how long the box was sitting on the shelves. American Cuisine FTW :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Icy said:
Did anyone ever get back to you on the Mac and Cheese dish from the Kraft box?

If not, its simply. Boil the noodles for 12 middles, drain. Do not rinse. Pour in the measured amount of milk needed and add the cheese packet to it (powder cheese stuff). Stir and let simmer until thick. It can be pretty nasty sometimes depending on how long the box was sitting on the shelves. American Cuisine FTW :lol
?
teh funney aside, this dish is uncommon over here, so I just wanted to try it out.
And why would one buy the readymade stuff when this is so easy to prepare yourself?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
How many of those cute salt spoons are there? They kinda crack me up :lol
+1 for your attention to detail!:)
I got two of them. The blue one is from a set the wife bought at Ikea. there were 6 of them in different sizes and a funnel:
smallCIMG1341.jpg

I use it for "ordinary salt", for salting the noodle water etc. The other ones from this set vanished into oblivion, only a medium one still works as a measuring device for ground coffee.

The wooden one was contained in a can of himalayan salt we got as a present. I like it and use it for the "better" salt qualities, like fleur de sel.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
temp said:
I only just checked this thread. Awesome.
Thanks! This humble effort is a overlooked treasure in the realms of NeoGAF. I did not expect that kind of feedback, too. Feel free to contribute and spread the word, my temp!:lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
OnkelC said:
And why would one buy the readymade stuff when this is so easy to prepare yourself?
Cmon man, this is America! This type of behavior doesn't end with our meals.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sefskillz said:
Cmon man, this is America! This type of behavior doesn't end with our meals.

In that case, I will do as ze Americans, and tonights dish will be...
smallCIMG1347.jpg

A NICE BIG CAN OF OXTAIL SOUP!

No shit.
Cooking starts now. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Id eat more oxtail if it wasnt so damed expensive. Use to be so cheap. I usually stew em with butter beans in a thick meat sauce

So I come home today, I walk through my door and what do i see.

a package? from the INTERNET

Fookin sweeties!!

much thanks OnkelC. These stabchens are delicious

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Orin GA said:
Id eat more oxtail if it wasnt so damed expensive. Use to be so cheap. I usually stew em with butter beans in a thick meat sauce

Sounds great! Oxtail has become a bit of a niche food and therefore hard to come by over here. At my butcher guy, I have to order it a day in advance, actually. If you will prepare this in the near future, i would really appreciate some pictures of the preparation.:)

So, let's... heat it up, actually, since the Sherry imitation in this soup concentrate shall not vaporize, says the instructions.

No special utensils are needed, in fact no utensils are needed at all.

Well, lets fall from grace and start:
smallCIMG1348.jpg

*sigh*
smallCIMG1349.jpg

mmmmmeh.
smallCIMG1350.jpg

*whimper*
smallCIMG1351.jpg

whip, whip, whip with the egg whip:
smallCIMG1353.jpg

Robert 'Bob' Paulson: "We're still men." (Name that movie!)
smallCIMG1354.jpg

Have your bun buttered:
smallCIMG1355.jpg

HOORAY for convenience:
smallCIMG1356.jpg

smallCIMG1357.jpg

guuut to ze last drop:
smallCIMG1358.jpg

Conversation with the wife:
"Do you always have to have the last word?"
The wife:"No."

actually, the wife is sick at the moment and has a sore throat, so only some bouillon for her and I sympathised with her.

Better cooking from this humble kitchen next time.
I am afraid, very afraid of your feedback.

FnordChan

OnkelC said:
As I mentioned before, I chose this dish tonight to give a special "thanks" to Forum Member FNordChan, who created my Avatar that I like very much. He requested the preparation of a pork dish, which I am happy to oblige.

Oh, man, that looks astonishing. Thank you very much for granting my request for a pork dish! I plan on drafting the assistance of my roommate (who is far more of a chef than I am) and trying out the dish in short order. I'll be sure to offer a full report of the dining experience! Thank again!

FnordChan

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
to Newbie and FNordChan:
Always a pleasure working with you two!:lol

I'm happy if you like your trophies.

FNordChan and Hotarubi, please give some note when your packets have arrived. They should look the same as Newbies'.

And keep giving some feedback!

Wow, we GAF'ers have more cooking talent than I originally thought. We all have to thank the great ringmaster of this thread, OnkelC. You my friend are amazing. I wish I had the time and money to fly over to Berlin to meet you in person and try your delicious looking food. Also that candy you sent to Newbie looks sooooo good. Newbie tell us how it tastes after you've given them a try.

To add to the food in this thread, I'll post an easy dessert receipt. I made this over the weekend but didn't take any pictures.

You will need:
2 boxes of JELLO instant banana pudding mix
4 cups of cold milk
20 OREO cookies
Whipped cream

Make the pudding as directed on the box
Put Oreo’s in a zip lock bag and smash them into little chunks.
In a dish, put a layer of pudding on the bottom, then a layer of Oreo’s on top. Repeat until you are out of pudding and Oreo’s
Top with whipped cream
Enjoy.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
sportzhead, thanks for the kudos!:)
But this thread would have not gotten this far without the contribution of the other GAFfers, and the shepheards pie is on the "try out very soon" list!:lol
That dessert sounds real nice, will try if I can substitute the Jello with something else, because there ain't no Jello on sale here. Improvisation ftw!

bovo

OnkelC said:
I would never have imagined that beans would go with this.

I'm English - runner beans go with everything!

OnkelC said:
The Monday Night Labor Day special Mistery dish is:

MAC'N'CHEESE! YAY! ....

...Tasted Great!

Glad you had success with the recipe.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The dish for tonight will be a quick and dirty version of Pasta with a bolognese sauce. Fast and tasty.
The ingredients are (for two persons):
smallCIMG1360.jpg

Pasta of choice,
300 grams of mixed ground beef and pork,
1/4 litre of red wine
tomato puree and concentrated tomato puree (not pictured)
a small onion
a clove of garlic
a bay leave
1 oxo cube or beef bouillon
oregano

Cooking will start now, pics will be up around 9pm Berlin time. Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom