• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes gameplay demo

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are thinking way to hard about MGS1 pseudo science

No way! The codec sequences in MGS3 are unbearable. The one after you get your backpack from the tree in which The Boss is introduced and the one in the swamp area with Eva in particular are awful. MGS2 had just as much if not more optional codec content with Pliskin, Stillman, Otacon, Rose (non-save), and Campbell to contact at just about any time, with occasional input from Mr. X. Also, 15 minutes is a gross exaggeration. The only one that applies to is the Federal Hall conversation.

Rofl this was so bad

Game explicitly summarizes its theme at length.....in the tutorial section.....

Masterful story telling best in the series

StuBurns

Banned
There's no doubt Kojima either had no idea, or didn't care about the realities of genetics.

All four of them basically look the same, Liquid has a different voice because he's British, that's it.

Haunted

More retcons nanomachines than you can shake a stick at.

No, seriously you guys. You're thinking way too hard about all this. Way harder than anyone at Konami ever did, at least.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
There's no doubt Kojima either had no idea, or didn't care about the realities of genetics.

All four of them basically look the same, Liquid has a different voice because he's British, that's it.

Probably the latter, like most science fiction

Just a plot excuse to create a superiority/inferiority dynamic between the two snakes, which is hard when they both have to be identical clones of the same dude

That's probably all the thought that was put into it, and as a fan I'm ok with that personally

BossLackey

Gold Member
How cool would it be if Ground Zeroes pulled your Peace Walker save for some Motherbase data and progression. Now that Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes are PS360 games, it seems very possible.

That would be great! I truly hope they do this, but I feel like it most likely won't happen.

Retro_ said:

It's pretty obvious Kojima meant alleles instead of genes but I'm guessing he took dominant/recessive at face value without realizing that dominance in genetics doesn't mean "better" lulz

injurai

Banned
It's pretty obvious Kojima meant alleles instead of genes but I'm guessing he took dominant/recessive at face value without realizing that dominance in genetics doesn't mean "better" lulz

The fact that back during the cloning of the Snakes, you could say those scientist had an imperfect view of genetics. In MGS4 you find out that Solid's recessive genes proved to be the better ones.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
HIDEO_KOJIMA ‏@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

Checking Project Ogre which has nothing to do with TGS.

I think a lot of people still misinterpret that. I always took MGS1's ending to mean that Snake was always the "dominant" clone and that Liquid was always the "recessive" one, but that Liquid was in fact genetically superior despite having Big Boss's recessive genes.

It's still dumb pseudo-science but I don't think Liquid is actually the "dominant" clone.

BadWolf

I think a lot of people still misinterpret that. I always took MGS1's ending to mean that Snake was always the "dominant" clone and that Liquid was always the "recessive" one, but that Liquid was in fact genetically superior despite having Big Boss's recessive genes.

It's still dumb pseudo-science but I don't think Liquid is actually the "dominant" clone.

Liquid believed, or was led to believe, that he was the inferior clone. However, he was always the superior clone, in terms of what genes he got.

In the ending they basically concluded (Ocelot was it?) that the inferior one prevailed so the whole thing on who got which genes didn't matter in terms of who was actually superior.

iLLmAtlc

I think the message is still good. It kinda tells you Big Boss being such an amazing soldier had every little to do with his genes which supports the MGS1 overarching message.

Liquid believed, or was led to believe, that he was the inferior clone. However, he was always the superior clone, in terms of what genes he got.

In the ending they basically concluded (Ocelot was it?) that the inferior one prevailed so the whole thing on who got which genes didn't matter in terms of who was actually superior.

I understood that. What I'm saying is that I understood it like this: Solid Snake was the "dominant" clone and Liquid was the "recessive" clone. Liquid believed that his recessive genes made him the inferior clone, but he was in fact "genetically superior" despite having Big Boss's recessive genes.

That's how I saw it, and I was confused when I saw that a lot of people interpreted that as Liquid thinking he had the recessive genes even though he actually had the dominant genes.

Sn4ke_911

HIDEO_KOJIMA
Having script reading for TGS.
A2qQp5iCYAA7iKW.jpg:large

Sn4ke_911

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes has many open worlds

During a special stage event at the Tokyo Game Show today, Kojima Productions shared new details on Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

Here’s the breakdown:
  • Loading is always done in the background, so it’s basically an open world where loading screens do not exist.
  • The exception to this is when you travel by helicopter—there a loading screen will be inserted.
  • There will be many Grand Theft Auto-style open worlds, and these are connected by helicopter.
  • The video that has been released is of the prologue stage, so it’s a small open world. There are bigger ones.
  • The game has a concept of time, so it varies from morning to afternoon, and then to night in real time. [This could mean "game time," I'm not sure.]
  • Before using the FOX Engine on other titles going forward, they want to create the standard with open worlds.

What I figured, a bunch of small-ish(by open world standards) and separate sandboxes, loading times when you switch between them. It's nice to see them going full day transitions too, they experimented with that in MGS4's Act 2.
Sounds like perfection to me

The spoiler is only an MGS1 spoiler. Just aware that there's probably a lot of newcomers to the series, because of the new unveiling and didn't want to spoil a neat twist from the original.

One thing that just came back to me, that i wouldn't mind someone who knows the saga better than me answering. Is it ever explained why
Snake looks and sounds almost exactly like Big Boss, if he's in inferior clone? And why Liquid doesn't look or sound anything like him, if he's the superior clone? I thought the superior clone, would be the one that matches the original closest.

All three Snakes look almost exactly like Big Boss and each other, though Liquid differs the most because of the environment he was raised in; so you could assume the three of them sound different for the same upbringing differences -- except Solid, he only sounds like Big Boss (or rather, BB sounds like him) because they have been two of the series' playable characters.

I don't really get what's going on in the trailer, I see him as a half-dead geezer for 80% of the video.

Then he suddenly gets brown hair as if he was as young as he was in MGS2 or something.

Sn4ke_911

I don't really get what's going on in the trailer, I see him as a half-dead geezer for 80% of the video.

Then he suddenly gets brown hair as if he was as young as he was in MGS2 or something.

That's just because of the lights. He has brown hair. Kojima confirmed it on his twitter.

I wonder how this game is structured. Kojima seemed to imply that you'd be able to go to different 'open worlds' whenever you liked, but I wonder if there'll be a set order to them for the sake of the story and you'd only return to a previous place to explore or find weapons or something. I wonder if there'll be sidequests and main quests like a typical open world game, or if it'll be more like the other Metal Gear games where you're always working towards your main objective but you can take your time and screw around if you want.

I wonder how this game is structured. Kojima seemed to imply that you'd be able to go to different 'open worlds' whenever you liked

I would be quite surprised if the prologue level even has the option to fly away in a helicopter in the final game. ( at least on first playthrough)
I'm assuming it will be roughly Peace Walker/ Portable Ops style setup, but it could be very different.

BadWolf

I wonder how this game is structured. Kojima seemed to imply that you'd be able to go to different 'open worlds' whenever you liked, but I wonder if there'll be a set order to them for the sake of the story and you'd only return to a previous place to explore or find weapons or something. I wonder if there'll be sidequests and main quests like a typical open world game, or if it'll be more like the other Metal Gear games where you're always working towards your main objective but you can take your time and screw around if you want.

You'll probably unlock areas as you move through the story with the ability to come back and mess around and do side missions.

SJRB

Gold Member
Next week buddy. Next week!

Perhaps. I certainly hope so. It makes sense to let Rising take the center stage during TGS, but I hope Kojima will show some Ground Zeroes during Eurogamer Expo.

Has he confirmed anything other than the "I have to make up with european gamers" tweet?

Top Bottom