• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

DeadNames

Banned
If you ask me the medals still look pretty bad.

xoGoR.png

6 of the 8 shown here are grey, white and blue and from the videos (mostly the UNSC weapon trailer) it seems like a lot of the other medals also have the same color scheme. Medals should be easily distinguishable from each other and this is achieved the easiest having more varying colors. I'm pretty sure even multi-kills all have the same color and the only difference is that there's more stars the higher the multiplier is. What happened to double being yellow, triple being blue, overkill being orange, etc.? You could see what you got in a quick glance which is what was so great about it.

I guess it doesn't matter that much because Mr. Steitzer screams everything into your ear and there's the white text in the middle of your screen but I still think it's a step backwards.

I don't like the new multikill medals either. The rest are fine. But there are WAY too many medals... A unique medal for each gun you get a kill with. Ridiculous.

And Happy birthday Duncan!

Am I right in thinking medals have been replaced with the white text in terms of as a UI element? I might be crazy but I dont think I saw them in the few videos I watched? - If im wrong (which I most certainly think I am) then good lol!

The white text is a distraction at best. Any reasoning along the lines of "Well, you won't notice it after a while" just leads me to wonder "Then why have it in the first place?"

Did anyone fumble around the menus and see if there was a way to disable it?

Korosenai

If you ask me the medals still look pretty bad.

xoGoR.png

6 of the 8 shown here are grey, white and blue and from the videos (mostly the UNSC weapon trailer) it seems like a lot of the other medals also have the same color scheme. Medals should be easily distinguishable from each other and this is achieved the easiest having more varying colors. I'm pretty sure even multi-kills all have the same color and the only difference is that there's more stars the higher the multiplier is. What happened to double being yellow, triple being blue, overkill being orange, etc.? You could see what you got in a quick glance which is what was so great about it.

I guess it doesn't matter that much because Mr. Steitzer screams everything into your ear and there's the white text in the middle of your screen but I still think it's a step backwards.

They don't even pop up on the screen anymore do they?

edit: The sound the ghost makes when boosting is really sweet, but when it shoots it sounds like a human machine gun.

Omni

I don't like the new multikill medals either. The rest are fine. But there are WAY too many medals... A unique medal for each gun you get a kill with. Ridiculous.

But it helps new players understand what they're doing in game. That's why there are voice overs every 10 seconds and the HUD is flooded with random white text that apparently is invisible while playing which makes it completely useless but they're keeping it anyway even though they talk about having a clean HUD - all while being completely oblivious to the fact that it adds to the already cluster fuck of useless information shoved in our faces for no reason at all.

I'm not bitter about it at all.

I grow more cynical when I'm tired. Uh.

DeadNames

Banned
But it helps new players understand what they're doing in game. That's why there are voice overs every 10 seconds and the HUD is flooded with random white text that apparently is invisible while playing which makes it completely useless but they're keeping it anyway even though they talk about having a clean HUD - all while being completely oblivious to the fact that it adds to the already cluster fuck of useless information shoved in our faces for no reason at all.

Heckfu and others said the white text disappeared, so I'm not too bothered about that. But the constant voices...

Still excited nonetheless. Please be over September! So many goodies in October.

I really hate all the catering towards new players. I really don't care about them and non of the stuff added sounds good to me. If all the nonsense added to the game, just for new players was removed and it'd mean less people playing the game, I'd take that trade instantly. I'm still able to find matches in Reach in less than 2 minutes, even in playlists with less than 1000 players.

I really hate all the catering towards new players. I really don't care about them and non of the stuff added sounds good to me. If all the nonsense added to the game, just for new players was removed and it'd mean less people playing the game, I'd take that trade instantly. I'm still able to find matches in Reach in less than 2 minutes, even in playlists with less than 1000 players.

Well it's a good thing you're not in charge of Halo 4, huh?

Fuchsdh

Thanks anyways. We are trying it with 3 guys and a guest. And I'm from germany, but my connection is very good.

Good luck! I did it twice where we had a d/c within 10 minutes of finishing it, third time was the charm.

You'll have to wait until the next set actually starts before it pops so dont get freaked out.

Omni

There's a difference between catering towards a new player and an 8 year old autistic child*. I absolutely believe that Halo needed a few tweaks so that it could become accessible to newer players, but 343i have really gone overboard... to the point where most of the UI is just blatantly stating the obvious... over and over and over again. I mean, where does it stop? I don't think there was a point, ever, where someone in previous titles entered a game of Capture the Flag and didn't realise that they had to capture and/or defend the flag... (for example).

And I don't know about anyone else, but that really frustrates me. I feel like 343i thinks we're all a bunch of retards who couldn't turn on the TV set by ourselves let alone play a game without some overrated UI (in this case) telling us what to do constantly.

*No offence intended to anyone.

Akai__

Good luck! I did it twice where we had a d/c within 10 minutes of finishing it, third time was the charm.

You'll have to wait until the next set actually starts before it pops so dont get freaked out.

You know what is very frustrating? I did it already 2 times, but both accounts got hacked and they are banned now...

JackHerer

There's a difference between catering towards a new player and an 8 year old autistic child*. I absolutely believe that Halo needed a few tweaks so that it could become accessible to newer players, but 343i have really gone overboard... to the point where most of the UI is just blatantly stating the obvious... over and over and over again. I mean, where does it stop? I don't think there was a point, ever, where someone in previous titles entered a game of Capture the Flag and didn't realise that they had to capture and/or defend the flag... (for example).

And I don't know about anyone else, but that really frustrates me. I feel like 343i thinks we're all a bunch of retards who couldn't turn on the TV set by ourselves let alone play a game without some overrated UI (in this case) telling us what to do constantly.

A toggle for some of these elements would solve everything. Have it on by default and then give the option to turn it off. Why this has not been implemented (as far as we know) is beyond me.

It does feel like you're a playing a game with "Tutorial Messages" permanently set to "ON". Probably too much bandwidth to disable it, though.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Where's mah infection news?

I'm really interested to see if infection will no longer be the clusterfuck/BK Bonanza that it is right now. At the moment, it sounds like I can play as a Predator or something, and that most definitely piques my interest.

heckfu

Banned

You can't just say no offense and think that'll just magically clear it up, man, because it is offensive. And you obviously understand it is because you gave that disclaimer. Not trying to jump down your throat but try and choose your words better next time.

Also, happy birthday duncan!

DeadNames

Banned

I'm really interested to see if infection will no longer be the clusterfuck/BK Bonanza that it is right now. At the moment, it sounds like I can play as a Predator or something, and that most definitely piques my interest.

Speaking of infection, I really hope an ACTUAL alpha zombies variant...

More importantly: as a tentacleclaw-handed Flood creature will I be able to celebratory-crouch my human opponents and/or make strange moaning and grunting sounds? Earlier in the year Ellis did say that they had "perfected" victory dipping.

Omni

Great taste there.

You can't just say no offense and think that'll just magically clear it up, man, because it is offensive. And you obviously understand it is because you gave that disclaimer. Not trying to jump down your throat but try and choose your words better next time.
I admit, I didn't phrase that as 'elegantly' as I normally would've if it were earlier and I wasn't as tired. I tend to get very... blunt/rude/cynical/whatever else... when I'm tired.

I apologise again and with that I'm going to bed. :|

Fracas

#fuckonami
More importantly: as a tentacleclaw-handed Flood creature will I be able to celebratory-crouch my human opponents and/or make strange moaning and grunting sounds? Earlier in the year Ellis did say that they had "perfected" victory dipping.

HHRRRRUUUUUNNNNNNGGGGG

That reminds me: Borderlands 2 probably has twice the grunting of the first one. That alone justified my purchase.

kylej

Banned
There's nothing wrong with catering to new players. What's wrong is not allowing players to cater certain elements to their own preference. Control schemes, HUD elements, custom game options, etc, etc. Give people more options. The fact that we apparently cannot play traditional Halo CTF in the next Halo game - even in customs - is one of the most braindead decisions I can remember.

While they were busy catering to COD fans it seems they forgot about everyone else.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Firstly, you're using a kind of straw man - that this stuff is "nonsense." Now you may not like it, but you should at least acknowledge that some people will actually really enjoy it. We happen to know this for a fact. And there's still a possibility, that you might actually enjoy this new stuff, or that it will simply fade from your area of botherment.

You should also acknowledge the following - that the MP has performed incredibly well in large scale and focused testing, and that many different constituents have reported excellent experiences, including pro and competitive players, even in the new stuff. This is hard empirical data, not us thinking Bravo smiled three times in a game of Infinity Slayer, but acres and acres of intensive test metrics and reports.

Secondly, the addition of lots of new players will provide many, many general improvements - better hosts, more player skill ranges, better banding and matching of players by skill and interest - even if those players are like you and presumably want a more stripped down experience. All boats rise of the tide.

Will it be perfect? No of course not, it's 2012 and Halo has too many types of player to make absolutely everyone perfectly happy, but that's an impossible task anyway. Our job is to make a game that appeals broadly AND deeply and to give players tools and varieties of experience that get as close to those ideals of taste and style as possible.

Thirdly, the logic of making a very narrowly focused game at the exclusion of all else would obviously be something that's managable at an Indie level, or as a PC game, but the reality of making a AAA console game, and the reality of a constantly evolving and growing Halo, is that it cannot be created as a niche game. However, it does contain niche ingredients and tools, within the very very broad suite of features and play experiences. You can in fact have your cake and eat it. But the idea that more players is bad, or that the core game is being dumbed down, is erroneous.

/SaturdayMorningSalt

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I admit, I didn't phrase that as 'elegantly' as I normally would've if it were earlier and I wasn't as tired. I tend to get very... blunt/rude/cynical/whatever else... when I'm tired.

I apologise again and with that I'm going to bed. :|

OK, that was pretty good.

kylej

Banned
Firstly, you're using a kind of straw man - that this stuff is "nonsense." Now you may not like it, but you should at least acknowledge that some people will actually really enjoy it. We happen to know this for a fact. And there's still a possibility, that you might actually enjoy this new stuff, or that it will simply fade from your area of botherment.

You should also acknowledge the following - that the MP has performed incredibly well in large scale and focused testing, and that many different constituents have reported excellent experiences, including pro and competitive players, even in the new stuff. This is hard empirical data, not us thinking Bravo smiled three times in a game of Infinity Slayer, but acres and acres of intensive test metrics and reports.

So because people like the game in focus tests - as they did with Reach - this is why we can't disable HUD elements and play regular CTF? What?

Tawpgun

Truth bomb.
Haven't played it (yet) but after seeing a lot of videos it looks really nice and im excited. Some things suck, but I am hyped.

Slrp

Holiday

Banned
I just want a cake without all-caps icing writing all over it, but they tell me you don't notice the bad taste after gagging down a few mouthfuls.

JHall

I want a cake that I can play Halo CE over XBL. Or have them turn the Halo 2 servers back on.

Yes, I know it's never going to happen :(

Top Bottom