• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First PS3 boxart unveiled: Untold Legends

kenta

Has no PEINS
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
It's got nothing to do with the quality of the movie. It's always goofy when some company uses a highly recognizable font for something else.

Imagine if MS used the Star Wars font for their Xbox logo. It'd be equally retarded.
From a corporate perspective I can see why they used it. The PS3, Blu-ray and Spider-man are all flagship ventures for Sony and combining all three is the ultimate in "synergy", which is retarded to you and me but it's the corporate holy grail. Think about it: The PlayStation brand is now represented by the Spider-man font... which is a movie that will represent Blu-ray... which is a format that the PlayStation brand is blazing the trail for. It's just one gigantic circlejerk for them and we'll have to wait and see how well it works

Maybe it represents an effort to unite the bickering labels under the Sony umbrella as well

hirokazu

ignoring the art for the game, i think it looks good.

i don't like the Blu-Ray case though... perhaps PS3 games will have a PlayStation logo instead of the Blu-Ray logo on the top, just like PS2 cases have the PlayStation logo on the inside instead of a DVD logo.

Vormund

_leech_ said:
Exactly, stop it with the ugly double-banner shit.

dmc4box.jpg

I like that layout best.

Not a big fan of the spiderman font. Personally I think the original PlayStation font looks great and has held up well.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Razoric said:
uh no, then how the **** would you know what game you are pulling out if PS3 is on the spine of every game cover?

edit: Sorry read your post wrong. But yeah I was just judging it soley by how it looked.

kenta said:
From a corporate perspective I can see why they used it. The PS3, Blu-ray and Spider-man are all flagship ventures for Sony and combining all three is the ultimate in "synergy", which is retarded to you and me but it's the corporate holy grail. Think about it: The PlayStation brand is now represented by the Spider-man font... which is a movie that will represent Blu-ray... which is a format that the PlayStation brand is blazing the trail for. It's just one gigantic circlejerk for them and we'll have to wait and see how well it works

Maybe it represents an effort to unite the bickering labels under the Sony umbrella as well

if that is the perspective they are applying to it, its pretty asstarded. i think you are being sarcastic, but i didnt see your tag in there. It's like they are acutally trying to degrade the brand.

kenta

Has no PEINS
meltpotato said:
if that is the perspective they are applying to it, its pretty asstarded. i think you are being sarcastic, but i didnt see your tag in there. It's like they are acutally trying to degrade the brand.
I'm not being sarcastic but I don't work for Sony either. That's just the angle I see them working from the outside looking in, it's a wet dream for a corporation like Sony

Coen

Funny thing about the Spiderman font is that it's just an slightly revised, cursive version of the old XBOX font. Way before that, Smashing Pumpkins used it for their single '1979' and even Nintendo seemed to like it.

16338.jpg

060830_1979_xbox.jpg

060830_1979_f-zero.jpg

060830_1979_spider-man.jpg

060830_1979_ps3.jpg

credits go to Dutch gameblog bashers.

Coen said:
Funny thing about the Spiderman font is that it's just an slightly revised, cursive version of the old XBOX font. Way before that, Smashing Pumpkins used it for their single '1979' and even Nintendo seemed to like it.

16338.jpg

heh.. i just saw James Iha the other day..

this has been brought up before. i dont think people realize how incredibly rare it is to see a truly unique typeface these days.. there are few being developed that arent variations on established ones. the problem with this one is that its incredibly identifiable (and ugly by most accounts) and detracts from the product's unique identity.. this is why you see Apple using such reserved fonts: they are at the same time identifiable between Apple products but not so unique that they are the "Apple font".

hirokazu

Coen said:

The Xbox font is different, though people mistaken it to use that font.

I think the Untold Legends is just bad cover art - with the striking blue of the Blu-Ray box and some nice art the cases will look just fine although I prefer the PS3 logo across the top.

One I mocked up from elements I found on Google images:

gthdcoverlu2.jpg

bard

jiji said:
Spider-font :(
They already own it, might as well save a few bucks to recoup the losses for the $600 console. :D

And the boxart: boobs and swords. I think I see a pattern...

ant1532

Banned
monkeymagic said:
I think the Untold Legends is just bad cover art - with the striking blue of the Blu-Ray box and some nice art the cases will look just fine although I prefer the PS3 logo across the top.

One I mocked up from elements I found on Google images:

gthdcoverlu2.jpg
awesome

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
God, that Spider-man Font....ugh...

They should've picked a better game to release the first box art for.

Kakusha

Jonnyram said:
This is the best!
Sorry to nitpick, but the CAPCOM logo should be smaller and closer to the corner :)

Ah, thanks for the help! Things'll get better as boxes become available. :D

u_neek

Amir0x said:
Endless Saga is cancelled though, but yeah that art was cool.

ALSO, pretty sure MGS4 will be rated Mature :p
Didn't they say production was ut on hold?
But yeah, on hold=cancelled

mrklaw

MrArseFace
don't like the 'double band' effect - makes the coverart bit look too squashed. I prefered the ones with the combined bluray/PS3 logo.

ps3case2qe4.jpg

Majmun

ps3boxartdarkkingdomlz1.jpg

Thanks to SToRM81 @Fok games Holland.

They should really put the Playstation 3 text on top of the cover art, and not on the left. It ruins the whole case. :/

Ponn

Banned
AniHawk said:
But what about the hideous box art? I know I wont ever get one now.

Damn straight! Here on GAF we only care about sales numbers and boxart. Screw the games.

Top Bottom