• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered | Review Thread

0Rjvt1KN.jpg

Game Information

Game Title: The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered

Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (Mar 22, 2024)
  • PC (Mar 22, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Mar 22, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Mar 22, 2024)
Trailer:
Developer: FURYU Corporation

Publisher: NIS America

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 63 average - 50% recommended

sJXaZgk.png

Metacritic - 70 average based on 5 Critic Reviews

IyrpCnK.png

Critic Reviews

God is a Geek - Lyle Carr - 6 / 10
The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered is a serviceable RPG, but when there are so many brilliant alternatives it's hard to recommend

LadiesGamers.com - Margaret David - Loved
The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered is what it is, definitely, and nothing about its remaster changed what the game was like on release. With its unspoken story and non-traditional levelling system, this is not going to be a game for everyone. But its refreshed accessibility and the fact that there are plenty of in-depth guides out there with oodles of still relevant information makes this an interesting way to find out if you’d enjoy similar, harder games like SaGa Frontier. Or if you’d enjoy Alliance Alive, which was also remastered several years ago for the Nintendo Switch.

This is where I admit I’m an old-school gamer, and this is my kind of thing. I grew up on obstinate, mapless, pain-in-the-rear dungeon crawlers, and this pretty, cosy (and low on fan service) homage to the genre is just the right kind of game for me to laze on the couch and play. It’s asking for patience from its players and a little investment to figure out how to make your party strong enough to wear down bosses. It requests your imagination to fill in the gaps of its story, giving you the freedom to think pretty much whatever you want of your journey through this ruined isle.

If you’re like me, this is a special treat, a game that’s both different than anything else currently on the Switch and familiar to those of us who grew up with graph paper and clue books you had to mail away for. That’s why I’m rating this game so highly, as I’m the exact audience this game is seeking. Its quirks may not be for you, but if you’re willing to give it a try, whether on Switch or on Steam, both of which I prefer for this style of game, it’s doing its best to help you out. And it’s looking good doing it.

Nintendo Life - Mitch Vogel - 7 / 10
The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered is a decent, though unspectacular, dungeon crawler that does a good job of defying some traditional RPG tropes. Mechanics like the elemental system and the randomized character progression help this stand out from the pack, while its simple dungeon-crawling format carries the basic, but satisfying gameplay for dozens of hours. Still, it doesn't take very long for this one to feel like it's overstaying its welcome, and more could've been done to sand its rougher edges. Legend of Legacy may not be the best example of this genre, but it's still an enjoyable release for the dungeon-crawling cognoscenti.

PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 60 / 100
Although inspired by important classics of the genre and with good ideas, The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered fails to deliver an experience that hooks the player enough to keep them interested in completing a journey. Let alone seven – which ends up putting it in the background in a scenario in which high-level experiences are increasingly abundant.

The Games Machine - Majkol Robuschi - Italian - 6 / 10
The Legend of Legacy HD is the high-definition translation of the Nintendo 3DS video game of the same name. It is a Japanese role-playing game clearly aimed at the audience of enthusiasts looking for inscrutable game mechanics, but it hardly manages to make itself attractive in any way to the general public.

The Switch Effect - Richard Heaton - 4.5 / 5
I’ve seen what the game looks like on the 3DS and blowing that up to fit the bigger Switch screen or a TV probably wouldn’t look that good without some tweaking. Fortunately FuRyu did a great job with making sure that the game looked as good as it could on the Switch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom