• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio HD |OT| Flip The Raps, Flip The Track

I just started it. I have the sega gt 2002/jsrf version (is there a standalone release?) and st least so far it plays smooth. Sega gt also plays smoothly, and i though it was supposed to have framerate problems. Maybe I'm just not far enough along yet.

I'm playing with the standalone version. The first couple of areas are fine, though there can be a bit of slowdown in certain spots.

It's 99th Street where it gets really bad. Most of that level is like playing in slow motion.

is custom graffiti something you have to unlock in the game separately for each size?
I'm beginning to suspect that could be the reason why I can only see medium sized imported images...
Nope. I'm on the second level and I managed all three just fine, just had to select E at the very end of the graffiti lists for all three sizes.

pb1ju.jpg

cloudbot

Neo Member
thanks. Also, where on your computer did you place the custom application and image files relative to the game files?

The names of the images and where they are on your computer don't matter at all. All the program does is convert them into the right format and put them in your save directory. It does't matter where you put the program on your computer either.

So... questions: are you sure you have the program pointing to the right directory ([Your Steam Dir]\userdata\[Number]\205950)?

Which save file are you loading in game? Is it the first slot? I am pretty sure the directory JSRGraffitiManager saves to corresponds to the first save slot.

Does the JSRGraffitiManager program show you the 3 graffitis with no problem?

I am not sure if it matters, but you could try making custom graffiti in-game with the in-game editor, save, exit, and then go back to the program to try try loading your new graffitis in.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I put them both in the root folder for JSR.

changing file names, formats and location did the trick!
I don't have time to go over the different possibilities right now to see which one made the difference, but the important thing is it works.

thanks for your help!!

The names of the images and where they are on your computer don't matter at all. All the program does is convert them into the right format and put them in your save directory. It does't matter where you put the program on your computer either.

So... questions: are you sure you have the program pointing to the right directory ([Your Steam Dir]\userdata\[Number]\205950)?

Which save file are you loading in game? Is it the first slot? I am pretty sure the directory JSRGraffitiManager saves to corresponds to the first save slot.

Does the JSRGraffitiManager program show you the 3 graffitis with no problem?

I am not sure if it matters, but you could try making custom graffiti in-game with the in-game editor, save, exit, and then go back to the program to try try loading your new graffitis in.

the directory was correct, the images were showing up in the program and I was loading the first save file when I experienced the problems. It could be just a glitch on my machine, I'll play around with it later this weekend and see if I can recreate the issue...

Either way, many thanks for the app!

segarr

I just started it. I have the sega gt 2002/jsrf version (is there a standalone release?) and st least so far it plays smooth. Sega gt also plays smoothly, and i though it was supposed to have framerate problems. Maybe I'm just not far enough along yet.

I also have that release and it plays good for me. I got through a good deal of the game playing on the 360. Damn good game. Prefer it to JSR although JSR is nice too. I personally think the lack of time limits [in most sections of future] and the simplified graffiti system makes it a nice, chill experience. Love that intro too. I wish they kept the regular dash instead of the super boost though.

cloudbot

Neo Member
I also have that release and it plays good for me. I got through a good deal of the game playing on the 360. Damn good game. Prefer it to JSR although JSR is nice too. I personally think the lack of time limits [in most sections of future] and the simplified graffiti system makes it a nice, chill experience. Love that intro too. I wish they kept the regular dash instead of the super boost though.

I also have this version, but do indeed see slowdown in certain spots, but it is still playable. Though I do remember slowdown on the Xbox as well (especially in the garage after unlocking all of the characters). My biggest gripe with playing it on the 360 is the glitched out level map screen.

Ulme

I'm the guy that asked Atolm to write this message (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42382968&postcount=1299) while my account was authorized and I'd like to give some feedback from my friend that worked in the game and this is what he said:

Tell them that I closely monitor this thread and all their requests and complaints are heard.

For the people with bad sound/music in x360, how is the distortion exactly? which setup do they have? (optical, hdmi, AV receiver?) does lowering the music volume improves the sound quality?. I hope it's not related to the disk streaming latency issue. If possible, try running the game from a USB flash drive to see if there is a difference.

Regarding sound quality, we are using the original masters, as they were done, with the maximum quality, so they sound exactly as intended by the composers (stereo separation and such). Professor K and radio speech also come from the original masters, but they were already saturated there, so there is little we can do. Game sounds are played using the original game compressed banks, so they sound worse (compressed, a bit distorted, it's ADPCM).

We are aware of some slowdowns,mainly in bantam street, on the top of the building, it's likely caused by the amount of shadows this level have. If they check the DC version, it's the only level where shadows pop in very close to the player, they were probably disabled in the original version when far from player because of the slowdown, but now we are running with a very much larger view distance, and shadows, in the way the dreamcast used them (and we have to use them that way), eat a lot of fillrate in current video cards.

"For the people with bad sound/music in x360, how is the distortion exactly? which setup do they have? (optical, hdmi, AV receiver?) does lowering the music volume improves the sound quality?. I hope it's not related to the disk streaming latency issue."

Xbox Slim 320GB HD connected with red/white audio jacks right into the TV.

I'm getting audio "pops" during speech and some tracks but the main issue is the BGM stuttering a few seconds into each track and occasionally later in the track.

I'll try connecting with HDMI over the weekend to see if there is any difference.

SykoTech

Finally got around to trying out the demo on PSN, and it was fine. No freezing problems or anything. And it felt great to finally play the game again. It's been far too long.

Definitely gonna just take my chances and buy it now.

Ulme

I'll answer some questions:

That's nice to know they're at least talking about it. Hopefully they know that a lot of people are getting corrupted save files as well.

Well, we've seen there is a slim chance that the first time the game boots in full mode (when it has to install the trophies), the empty save data is not created, then even if the game is saved properly in game, when it's booted again it will notice the data is not complete and will try to reinitialize it. We've never seen in-game save corruption. If you receive the corrupted data message, it's because the save was not properly completed, probably due to turning the console off while it was saving (there is a message shown while it's saving)

See if you can't ask him about the framerate.

Is there a technical reason as to why the game cannot be run at 60 fps?

Yes, there is a reason for the game running at 30 fps. All the game timing is computed by counting frames executed, so increasing it to 60 fps as is, it will make the game run at twice the speed.

Also when you play against another player (challenges or tag the backs, and also the attract demos) it's not a "scripted" movement with waypoints, it's a person that played that sequence and the joypad button presses and movements recorded, with timing based in the frame count (50 frames with joystick neutral, 6 frames with jump buton pressed, etc...) so everything must run at exactly the same speed and physics must be exactly the same, otherwise it will desync.

In the original dreamcast version, they have 2 executables, one for 30fps and another for 25fps, and there are 2 set of files for the demos and missions, one recorded with the 30fps executable and the other with the 25fps one.

Even running at 30 fps, the slightly different calculation results of modern FPUs compared to Dreamcast ones caused some desyncs that were fixed by adjusting the timming of some of the replay entries in each platform.

I personally really appreciate how they redid most of the GUI and HUD to HD resolutions. Other companies that do this sort of work don't even bother. I'm looking at you, BluePoint!

Thanks! We tried to remove as much pixelation as possible from the HUD and some menus, while keeping the game as is.

On a whim I decided to go for the "Detached" achievement this morning. It actually wasn't that difficult, I personally found jet ranking all the optional levels a harder task. I just worked out the best order to go after all the tags in the level so that enemies that could grab me wouldn't get in the way and just quit to dashboard when I did get grabbed (that thankfully only happened a couple of times. A couple of things that I found that helped were:

Use a character like Beat who has easy motions for spray painting as it'll take less time to do the larger tags.

Unlike going for Jet Ranks, try to get the more dangerous enemies to appear sooner rather than later as the goons that can grab you will disappear. The only exception I've found are the Flame Thrower enemies in the last Benten level and the Bomb guys in the last Shibuya level who will still be able to grab you.

On the Grind Square level, when on the ground level use the lift that is suspended a few feet in the air when wanting to reach the higher level, enemies have a nasty habbit of grabbing you in the other one when your going up even after the elevator starts moving (and its impossible to dodge them).

The last Benten level was the most annoying for me, as the flame thrower dudes can still grab you, I found the best order to do the level are: from the starting point grab as many spray cans as possible. Then head to the area where you have the tag battle against the noise tanks. Tag all the tags in the area as there should be few enemies around unlike when the flame thrower guys appear and it becomes incredibly difficult to dodge them when they start swarming. Next head to the part of the level where you fight unmasked Poison Jam. When the voice over warns that they will be deploying the flame thrower assassin head back to where you started and do the huge graffiti tag as it'll now be pretty much unguarded (except for the huge guy that just stands there). Then just head back round and do the rest of the tags avoiding the flame thrower guys.

Now I've just got one last achievement to get, the one about using all the graffiti in the game which is fairly simple if somewhat time consuming. Then I think I'll take a break from JSR for a while (or at least until the Vita version is released later this month!)

SykoTech

Did they patch stuttering on the PS3?

I just bought the game today and there was no patch available, so I guess not.

Thankfully, there were only two brief moments where things slowed down for me during my playthrough of the whole game. No freezing either. Love it just as much as I did back in the Dreamcast days.

Jet Set Radio Future next, Sega. My money is ready and waiting.

GrayFoxPL

I just bought the game today and there was no patch available, so I guess not.

Thankfully, there were only two brief moments where things slowed down for me during my playthrough of the whole game. No freezing either. Love it just as much as I did back in the Dreamcast days.

Jet Set Radio Future next, Sega. My money is ready and waiting.

Shit.

I download the demo and it happens all the time in tutorial. It's not slowdown just random brief pauses for fraction of a second. Annoying as hell.

SykoTech

Shit.

I download the demo and it happens all the time in tutorial. It's not slowdown just random brief pauses for fraction of a second. Annoying as hell.

Yeah, I heard that from several impressions last week. I downloaded the demo first too and didn't experience any pauses there or in the full game, but it seems to be happening to a lot of other people. Hopefully Sega gets off their asses and fixes it quick, because that's game breaking.

Started playing this last night and did not stop until about 1.30am, this game really holds up well in gameplay and visuals it reminds me of how impressive this looked back in the day there wasn't really anything like it then.

I never got far enough in the original but this time I will complete it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Yeah, I heard that from several impressions last week. I downloaded the demo first too and didn't experience any pauses there or in the full game, but it seems to be happening to a lot of other people. Hopefully Sega gets off their asses and fixes it quick, because that's game breaking.

hmmm how can the experience be so different on identical consoles? Sony do something weird with their playstation 3's generation to generation? constant blips vs 1 or 2 is a wildy different experience across the exact same ISA, compiler, assembler, source, hardware, and graphics chip.

Got the final achievement yesterday.

I had so much fun with it, and this is the first time I've ever finished it (I only got to Grind Square in the Dreamcast version), but the "When you're a Jet" and "Detached" achievements are a joke. Any achievements that require you to go to the dashboard and restart the game when you screw up are terrible game design.

I probably shouldn't have went for both in one playthrough (unlocking Goji for the second playthrough would have made getting Jet ratings much easier), but still, having to reboot the game up at all just causes needless frustration and inconvenience.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't know if this has been asked before, but as no one answered me on the Steam thread, I'll ask it here:

Does anyone else have the game crash to desktop when finishing a level? It's not the "rebooting problem", and it already happened twice. The launcher crashed a couple of times too, but that doesn't really bother me.

Don't know if this has been asked before, but as no one answered me on the Steam thread, I'll ask it here:

Does anyone else have the game crash to desktop when finishing a level? It's not the "rebooting problem", and it already happened twice. The launcher crashed a couple of times too, but that doesn't really bother me.
That happened to me the first time I finished the first proper stage in the game. Hasn't since.

Tried to go back to this game yesterday, but the slowdown bug reared its ugly head finally. Definitely tied to how long the computer has been shut down properly (hibernate doesn't count toward this - it has to be a proper reboot/shutdown).

It's good in most of the game but there is one night time stage that is insanely laggy. It convinced me to just buy component cables for my OG xbox. Unfortunately most of you don't have the luxury of owning the original xbox anymore.

i haven't had too much of an issue with the slowdown, ps3. but man, the other day i was going through this section in shibuya:
the transition from the bus terminal to the playground where you go through a "fake wall" and the camera zooms out super far....holy crap that was unbelievably bad. i should have taken a video, but the game was crawling. that 30 some-odd seconds was the most unenjoyable time i've had with the game so far.

I'll answer some questions:

Thanks for that, but is it possible you could talk about the most discussed technical topic in this thread? The game runs very poorly on certain people's consoles, and it seems to be related to the hard drive. The sound skips frequently for some people, and the entire game engine even skips for some people.

We know it's the hard drive because one person who had the issue on his Xbox was able to fix it by installing the game on a USB drive, and playing it from there.

hmmm how can the experience be so different on identical consoles? Sony do something weird with their playstation 3's generation to generation? constant blips vs 1 or 2 is a wildy different experience across the exact same ISA, compiler, assembler, source, hardware, and graphics chip.

The game has an issue with running on certain hard drives. Might be fragmentation. Might be something else, but it's definitely related to the hard drive.

Ulme

Thanks for that, but is it possible you could talk about the most discussed technical topic in this thread? The game runs very poorly on certain people's consoles, and it seems to be related to the hard drive. The sound skips frequently for some people, and the entire game engine even skips for some people.

We know it's the hard drive because one person who had the issue on his Xbox was able to fix it by installing the game on a USB drive, and playing it from there.

We believe it's a problem with hard disk fragmentation, and the way we use to read it. We are still looking into it.

Question regarding getting the all levels jet achievement; If I didn't get jet on the first couple of stages, when I come back around to them again and complete them will that count? Basically I'm asking if you have to get jet start to finish or can it be mixed between playthroughs as long as you complete all levels jet at one point or another?

You can get the jet rankings in another play. The achievement will check the hightest ranking you get in each stage in any gameplay.

Also, I think it's not mentioned anywhere, but for the achievement to use all graffitis, you can see which one are used and which aren't because they change color to a more bright color when used in the graffiti selection screen.

PowderedToast

the first level where you play as cube/combo is tragic for me. half of the stage (opposite the pool) drops a huge amount of frames as soon as i look at it. every single time. but if i stay in that area it recovers after about 10 seconds.

i've never seen anything like it, honestly. usually when framerates drop in games you can see it coming, you see a pattern, what sets it off and what the limits are. here there is no logic, it just feels..broken.

should i be worried about my HDD?

on a lighter topic, the game itself remains a superlative experience and i think the port job on the whole is good.

the first level where you play as cube/combo is tragic for me. half of the stage (opposite the pool) drops a huge amount of frames as soon as i look at it. every single time. but if i stay in that area it recovers after about 10 seconds.

i've never seen anything like it, honestly. usually when framerates drop in games you can see it coming, you see a pattern, what sets it off and what the limits are. here there is no logic, it just feels..broken.

should i be worried about my HDD?

on a lighter topic, the game itself remains a superlative experience and i think the port job on the whole is good.

What are you playing on?

That doesn't sound hard drive related to me.

Zekes!

I actually came in here to ask about the PS3 version, seeing as I just picked up a PS3 a week or two ago. I'm a little hesitant to download it after hearing about the stuttering issues, especially when I can hook up my Dreamcast and play original in like 3 minutes.

If they fix those issues I'll definitely grab it though.

Grief.exe

I just noticed that Jet Set Radio isn't in the top 100 sellers or the most played lists on Steam.

What do you guys think is up with that? Just buried under all the releases? Too niche of a title.

I can't believe that its not doing too well, I've never played the game before but I really wanted to pick it up eventually. Don't have much money or time right now, so was going to wait for a sale.

I streamed myself playing through the entirety of JSR on PC, wish I'd been able to do custom import sprays on Day 1. Seems like it would've been simple enough for them to implement.

ZmdIR.png

Ulme

Do you think you'll have this problem in JSRF when you port it next?

wink, wink

I just did some graphics for the game (HUD, achievements, control layouts, some textures... ). But I'd really love to see Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue and other SEGA classics on Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Vita... :)

Who knows, maybe if the new SEGA Heritage collection sells well... :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just did some graphics for the game (HUD, achievements, control layouts, some textures... ). But I'd really love to see Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue and other SEGA classics on Xbox 360, PS3, PC, Vita... :)

Do you mean that MAYBE IF WE BUY THIS ONE, SEGA MIGHT MAKE MORE?

Is that what you're saying, person who worked on this game and obviously knows secret stuff from "behind the door" meetings?

KOTAKU do you hear that? This is how rumors headlines are made, right? "Inside sources say..."

People can say they want Shenmue.

But you don't really want Shenmue.

Shenmue fans, maybe. But speaking as a Shenmue fan, I don't want to be reminded that there will never be a Shenmue 3. Nor would I want to inflict that on anyone else.

Grief.exe

I haven't really been much of a console gamer, always been mostly on the PC side.

So any Sega classics that I haven't played I'd love to see ported over, I'd really like to see Jet Set Radio (good start), JSRF, Shenmue, and Skies of Arcadia.

Top Bottom