• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc213

OnkelC your a madman in the kitchen, I might have to give one your recipes a try over the weekend if time permits.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@ChryZ:
Words fail me, that is a true work of art! Just marvelous. Thank you again very much for your worthy contribution. I am looking forward to even more stuff from you!:lol

you mentioned earlier that you are from Europe with no korean origins, but the Asian (especially Korean) influence to your cooking style is strong. May I ask out of sheer interest: how comes?

rc213 said:
OnkelC your a madman in the kitchen, I might have to give one your recipes a try over the weekend if time permits.

:lol :lol :lol
That would make a great tag. Please post the results of your cooking, I am very curious. What will your favourite be?

ChryZ

Thanks for all the friendly feedback.

OnkelC said:
@ChryZ:
Words fail me, that is a true work of art! Just marvelous. Thank you again very much for your worthy contribution. I am looking forward to even more stuff from you!:lol

you mentioned earlier that you are from Europe with no korean origins, but the Asian (especially Korean) influence to your cooking style is strong. May I ask out of sheer interest: how comes?
Actually quite a good question. A few years ago I got a bit chubby, so I picked up cooking to be more in control of my food. I consider a lot of asian food somewhat healthy, so I ended up with this book (german version). Excellent book, good directions and all dishes are quick'n'easy ... perfect for weekday cooking. Well, it kinda snowballed from there ... watching a lot of kdrama, jdrama, kmovies, jmovies, anime and two trips to Japan sure helped too ;)

BUT I also like all kinds of other stuff ... mexican, indian, chinese, italian, jamaican, cajun, creole, etc

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
Thanks for all the friendly feedback.

Actually quite a good question. A few years ago I got a bit chubby, so I picked up cooking to be more in control of my food. I consider a lot of asian food somewhat healthy, so I ended up with this book (german version). Excellent book, good directions and all dishes are quick'n'easy ... perfect for weekday cooking. Well, it kinda snowballed from there ... watching a lot of kdrama, jdrama, kmovies, jmovies, anime and two trips to Japan sure helped too ;)

BUT I also like all kinds of other stuff ... mexican, indian, chinese, italian, jamaican, cajun, creole, etc

That attitude shows perfect dedication to the true cooking spirit! Two thumbs up from me! Thank you for the heads-up.

The dish for tonight can be considered on the "healthy side", too, and is a contribution directed to the Vegetarians and even the Vegans on NeoGAF.
It is my variation of a fast "Ratatouille", a vegetable stew with its origins in Southern France.
The ingredients are (for four persons):
smallCIMG1421.jpg

four small to medium Zucchini,
three bell peppers (color of choice),
four small onions (color of choice),
half a litre of red wine,
two cans of tomato puree and/or canned tomatoes and some concentrated tomato puree,
one cup of creme fraiche (can be left out for completely vegan dish),
some beef or vegetable bouillon, one or more cloves of garlic (your choice), salt and pepper (not pictured).

Cooking starts now, pictures will be up arounnd the usual time. Stay tuned and keep them coming!

Let's talk hot dogs!

I have two favorite kinds of hot dogs. A Chicago Dog and a Coney Dog.

First the Chicago style hot dog.

A Chicago dog is a steamed or boiled all-beef, natural-casing hot dog on a poppy seed bun, topped with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish in fluorescent green, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, sport peppers and a dash of celery salt — but no ketchup. The most common kind is a 1/8 lb Vienna Beef hot dog.

P1010040-1.jpg

P1010044.jpg

Waiting to place my order and picking out the condiments:

P1010042.jpg

P1010041.jpg

Voila! Note that this didn't have the pickle spear, but rather slices. Slight differences can vary from place to place. Chicago-style hot dogs with all the toppings are sometimes called "dragged through the garden" because of the unique condiments.

P1010043.jpg

And now the Coney Dog!

The Coney Dog actually a Vienna sausage and is usually made from Vienna Beef, like the Chicago dog. It's then topped with chili (no beans!), fresh onions and mustard.

There are two stores in downtown Detroit where the origin arguable began. Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island. They were started by brothers who immigrated from Greece. Today there are many Coney Island restaurants all over Detroit where you can get Greek salads, gyros, spinach pie and other Greek food -- as well as Coney Dogs.

Supposedly they got their name from a hot dog that was being served in New York, but there it was called a Chili Dog. These are pretty hard to find outside of New York or Detroit... For instance, you can't find a Coney Dog in Chicago, and I've looked. For people who are craving them and far from Detroit, there are some places online where you can order 'kits' from Detroit which will let you put together your own Coney Dog.

coneyisland01.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
Let's talk hot dogs!
homer20drool.gif

Grrreaat pics and equally great contribution! Thanks.
Are the sausages for the coney dogs also boiled or are they fried? the looks of them would point me to the latter.

Pics are uploading, please stand by.
This dish has onions...
smallCIMG1430.jpg

:lol

OnkelC said:
Grrreaat pics and equally great contribution! Thanks.
Are the sausages for the coney dogs also boiled or are they fried? the looks of them would point me to the latter.

Thanks, OnkelC! Just like the Chicago style, Coney Dogs can be either boiled or fried. I think the originals were fried (at Lafayette and American Coney Island), but it's now just as common to have them boiled, too.

coneyisland02.jpg

coneyisland03.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@heavy liquid:
Thanks for the heads-up.

So, let's cook. The "Ratatouille", a mediterranean French summer to early autumn dish, is only the "top level domain" for a multitude of ingredients and preparations. Lowest common denominator is the fact that the ingredients are to be braised, tomatoes are involved and the dish itself is strictly vegetable.

Even the consistency differs from preparation to preparation. I chose a 98% vegetarian variant with a texture hybrid between a soup and a stew/hotpot (sp?). For a genuine vegan preparation, the creme fraiche can be left out, as goes for the red wine If you don't dig the taste. It can be prepared with other vegetables, too, common are eggplants/aubergines, or most other saisonal produce. Even mushrooms can be added at cooking "half time", but the cooking process itself is shorter in this case.

Ratatouille, as you can imagine, is a prime example of free hand cooking. Try around with braising times and the amount/relation of the ingredients until you get the dish (and the taste) that suits you best. Since all ingredients can be eaten raw as well as cooked, you can barely do anything wrong if you choose the ingredients you like.

No special utensils are needed, but a big pot made from cast iron with a matching lid is a plus because it holds the heat better:
smallCIMG1438.jpg

First, wash the veggies (dramatic re-enactment, use H2OXtreme!):
smallCIMG1422.jpg

smallCIMG1423.jpg

Then chop them. I am a little bit allergic on bell peppers, so I removed the seeds before chopping. This is easy to accomplish if you cut the top off, so you can pull out nearly all of them. remove the leftovers by splashing the inside with some water:
smallCIMG1424.jpg

smallCIMG1425.jpg

Next, cut the peppers in halves and then to slices:
smallCIMG1426.jpg

smallCIMG1427.jpg

smallCIMG1428.jpg

Do the same with the peeled onions:
smallCIMG1432.jpg

The zucchinis are next. Generously remove their tops and bottoms and cut off the brown spots on the surface, then slice them, too:
smallCIMG1433.jpg

smallCIMG1434.jpg

I also got a small twig of rosemary and some sage leaves from the garden for further use:
smallCIMG1437.jpg

Next, heat a big pot and pour some olive oil in it. Heat it until the oil starts smoking:
smallCIMG1440.jpg

Add the onions and stir them until they get glassy. Squeeze the garlic clove with your palm and add it to the onions, same with the whole rosemary twig:
smallCIMG1442.jpg

smallCIMG1443.jpg

smallCIMG1444.jpg

smallCIMG1446.jpg

Next, add the peppers and the zucchini. Stir fry them for a few minutes:
smallCIMG1447.jpg

smallCIMG1449.jpg

smallCIMG1451.jpg

Then add the tomatoes, wine, some dried bouillon and black pepper:
smallCIMG1452.jpg

smallCIMG1453.jpg

smallCIMG1454.jpg

smallCIMG1456.jpg

smallCIMG1455.jpg

Stir again, then reduce the heat to 1/3 to 1/2, put a lid on the pot and let it cook lightly for about half an hour. In the meanwhile, you can think of a side dish if you like. Ratatouille goes well with rice or potatoes, we chose a pita bread:
smallCIMG1463.jpg

Finish line:
when the Ratatouille has the desired texture, taste-test it (remember the hint of sugar hint from last dish) and add some creme fraiche for the finishing touch:
smallCIMG1458.jpg

smallCIMG1461.jpg

Pro Tip: if the creme fraiche is stiff in texture, you can get it out of the cup easily by punching a small hole in the bottom of the cup:
smallCIMG1462.jpg

Finish Line:
Play "fishing for herbs" and remove the rosemary twig and the rest of the garlic clove before serving:
smallCIMG1464.jpg

DONE!
Serve with some sage leaves as a decoration and a nice piece of fresh, crispy bread:
smallCIMG1465.jpg

Bon Appetit from Bonn.

Feedback, comments and new contributions are always welcome and heartily encouraged. Keep'em coming!:lol

That ratatouille looks great! I'm going to have to try so many recipes from this thread. :)

Okay, as promised, here are some pictures from some of my Mexican eateries. There is a large Hispanic population in Chicago, and because of that, there are lots and lots of family owned restaurants where you can find delicious and authentic home-made Mexican food.

One of my favorite places is Taqueria Caminos de Michoacan. It's right off the Sheridan stop on the Red Line. It also helps that my brother lives a block away, so maybe that's why I'm there a lot. Byron's Hot Dogs from my earlier post happens to be right around the corner!

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but believe me, their food is great. And cheap!

l

This restaurant (like all the good ones), has an al pastor. Al pastor (like tacos al pastor) usually means marinated pork. But that doesn't really tell you everything you need to know. the pork is marinated, layered on a spit with onions, and roasted as the spit turns. As the outer part browns, the onions are carmelized and the marinated pork is browned.

atospit.jpg

apcarm.jpg

The outer part is shaved off, put into a tortilla, and covered with fresh onions and cilantro.
Tacos Al Pastor served with all the trimmings:

huenap.jpg

You may notice that authentic tacos have two small flour tortillas instead of the hard shell that they serve at Taco Bell. When you add the fresh lime and salt, they're delicious. Here's a pork al pastor and a steak taco:

P1010049.jpg

1010007.jpg

1010012.jpg

Ground beef tacos:

1010008.jpg

Al pastor gordita:

P1010048.jpg

Ground beef burrito:

P1010050.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@heavy liquid:
Muchas Gracias for this comprehensive review of Mexican Marvel, take away style!:lol
Genuine Mexican Fast Food (or even Restaurants) are hard to come by in the greater surroundings of this humble kitchen, so it was really interesting to see it in person. Great photos again.

Thanks again for your contribution. I am so looking forward for future posts of you!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Onkel, I'm curious what your rationale for adding bouillon is for your Ratatouille is. I try to stay away from adding that stuff especially in a nice dish like that, but if it adds a lot of flavor, I might have to try it. Great stuff with the creme fraiche too. I made my own from buttermilk and heavy creme and that stuff tastes soooo good. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
BorkBork said:
Onkel, I'm curious what your rationale for adding bouillon is for your Ratatouille is. I try to stay away from adding that stuff especially in a nice dish like that, but if it adds a lot of flavor, I might have to try it. Great stuff with the creme fraiche too. I made my own from buttermilk and heavy creme and that stuff tastes soooo good. :)
I prefer to add a hint of bouillon becuase it broadens the taste better than just salt. I use the dried bouillon because The homemade essence ran out and I was too lazy to make and freeze some new one...:D
One can go without bouillon for a more subtle overall taste. The combination of the sour/fruity red wine and the hearty hint of bouillon goes together great, though, and personally I would not do it without bouillon if I would not have to.
And Homemade creme fraiche is the shizz!:lol Respect point earned. I make it by slightly cooking double cream and adding a hint of lemon juice. Works great, too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The dish for tonight will be Steak Sammiches.
The following ingredients are needed:
smallCIMG1467.jpg

one rumpsteak per person,
some bread of choice (I went for some burger buns),
lettuce leaves,
olive oil and balsamic vinegar,
Indonesian sweet soy sauce (can be substituted with normal soy sauce),
some cress,
condiments of choice (not pictured),
salt and pepper.
Cooking starts around 7pm, pictures will be up around 10pm Berlin time. Stay tuned.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
Steak Sandwiches are a nice monday night dish as they are fast and easy to make. I used beef cuts, but you can go with some pork chops, lamb of even poultry. As a twist, I made a warm vinaigrette to finish the meat, giving it a subtle extra taste.

Special utensils needed:
This "meat tenderizer" thing (could someone give me the correct translation please):
smallCIMG1469.jpg

And some crispy bread. Since we had pita bread yesterday and the baker was sold out on ciabatta, I used burger buns which are the opposite of crispy. So, with a little improvisation and Mr. Foremans help, I needed this, too:
smallCIMG1468.jpg

First, slap/tenderize(sp?) the steaks a little bit. The two steaks shown were cut after each other from the same piece, before/after size comparison:
smallCIMG1471.jpg

Spice one side of the steaks with some salt, pepper and a hint of sugar (helps the browning of the steaks):
smallCIMG1475.jpg

Next, wash and dry the lettuce and cut the cress with a scissor:
smallCIMG1470.jpg

smallCIMG1472.jpg

Heat a pan to the max and add some olive oil. When it starts smoking, put the steaks in it with the spiced side down:
smallCIMG1478.jpg

Salt and pepper the other side, add a hint of sugar and let them fry away for one to two minutes per side (since the steaks are quite thin, they are "done" fast):
smallCIMG1479.jpg

Heat the foreman grill. When the steaks are done, remove them from the pan and put them on a tablet. Put the pan from the stove and turn off the heat. Let the pan cool down a bit while you mix a vinaigrette from some soy sauce, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper:
smallCIMG1480.jpg

smallCIMG1481.jpg

smallCIMG1482.jpg

Mix it lightly, add the vinaigrette to the pan, add the meat juices from the tablet and put it on the still hot stove:
smallCIMG1483.jpg

smallCIMG1484.jpg

smallCIMG1486.jpg

smallCIMG1485.jpg

Be careful with your breathing at this phase, because the fumes from the cooking vinegar are quite aggressive.

Finish Line:
Cut the buns in half and put them into the grill (not in the bun compartment).
Result should look like this (half the original height, slightly roasted sesame and crisp outside):
smallCIMG1487.jpg

Immediately before serving, marinate the steaks shortly in this vinaigrette (no pic, sorry) and prepare the buns with some lettuce and condiments of choice. Then serve the steaks directly from the pan on the bun.

DONE!
I had a plain one with some lettuce, cress, a small helping of miracle whip and some "Kräuterbutter" (butter with several herbs, a hint of lemon juice, garlic and salt) on top of the meat:

smallCIMG1489.jpg

Fold it and Guten Appetit from Bonn.

Feedback and comments are, like contributions, always welcome.

temp

posting on contract only
I cooked! I made some meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I figured making something sort of unappealing was a good idea, apparently. I guess I'll give the recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef

1 cup soft bread crumbs

3/4 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

1 large clove of garlic, minced

2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Preheat the oven to 350; MASH everything together in a big bowl, put it in a loaf-shaped tin, let it cook for 1:15 to 1:20, stand 10 minutes, and that's it. The most fool-proof thing ever, I think.

meatloafkk4.gif

I thought it was sort of odd that I could see the bread crumbs after it was cooked, but it tasted great. I liked it better than my mother's.

P.S. I made some chili for tomorrow. Mmmmmmmmm

edit: They're called "meat tenderizers" and "meat mallets".

thirty

Banned
heavy liquid said:
Let's talk hot dogs!

A Chicago dog is a steamed or boiled all-beef, natural-casing hot dog on a poppy seed bun, topped with mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish in fluorescent green, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, sport peppers and a dash of celery salt — but no ketchup. The most common kind is a 1/8 lb Vienna Beef hot dog.

P1010040-1.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010041.jpg

Voila! Note that this didn't have the pickle spear, but rather slices. Slight differences can vary from place to place. Chicago-style hot dogs with all the toppings are sometimes called "dragged through the garden" because of the unique condiments.

P1010043.jpg

And now the Coney Dog!

The Coney Dog actually a Vienna sausage and is usually made from Vienna Beef, like the Chicago dog. It's then topped with chili (no beans!), fresh onions and mustard.

There are two stores in downtown Detroit where the origin arguable began. Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island. They were started by brothers who immigrated from Greece. Today there are many Coney Island restaurants all over Detroit where you can get Greek salads, gyros, spinach pie and other Greek food -- as well as Coney Dogs.

Supposedly they got their name from a hot dog that was being served in New York, but there it was called a Chili Dog. These are pretty hard to find outside of New York or Detroit... For instance, you can't find a Coney Dog in Chicago, and I've looked. For people who are craving them and far from Detroit, there are some places online where you can order 'kits' from Detroit which will let you put together your own Coney Dog.

coneyisland01.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

In Los Angeles alleys there are bacon wrapped hot dogs served off dirty carts. Served with grilled onions, green peppers, mayo, mustard, ketchup, and a grilled jalepeno pepper; it's heaven on earth. Those that have been to an E3 near the Staples Center know what I'm talking about.

0036-0408-0609-1441_SM2.jpg

4009775_20d44f76b0.jpg

EGM92

man some of this looks so damn good. Now how about something spicy with LOTS of onions? I loves me some onions :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
temp said:
I cooked! I made some meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I figured making something sort of unappealing was a good idea, apparently. I guess I'll give the recipe:

2 lbs. ground beef

1 cup soft bread crumbs

3/4 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

1 large clove of garlic, minced

2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Preheat the oven to 350; MASH everything together in a big bowl, put it in a loaf-shaped tin, let it cook for 1:15 to 1:20, stand 10 minutes, and that's it. The most fool-proof thing ever, I think.
*snip*
I thought it was sort of odd that I could see the bread crumbs after it was cooked, but it tasted great. I liked it better than my mother's.

P.S. I made some chili for tomorrow. Mmmmmmmmm

edit: They're called "meat tenderizers" and "meat mallets".

You make ze Onkel proud! Thank you for this WORTHY CONTRIBUTION. Grab yourself a badge and wear it with pride.

Self-made dishes in general taste better than stuff other persons prepared for you, as the fruits of ones own work bear the blood, sweat and tears of the creator...:lol

The Meat Loaf goes by the name of "Hackbraten" (ground roast) or "Falscher Hase" (faux rabbit) over here and is a legit Sunday family lunch. The side dishes are usually carrots and/or peas, alternatively some red cabbage, gravy and mashed potatoes.
I am looking forward to your chili recipe tomorrow.

@thirty:
Thank you for this detailed insight on West coast school Hot Dog preparation!
The pics made me hungry.
It is interesting to see that there are so many variants of the "sausage-in-a-bun" theme. Hot Dogs over here are usually only a cooked wiener in a bun, served with pickles, some roast onions, mustard, spiced ketchup and maybe some remoulade.
Sad, but cheap (1,- EUR a piece) and the only incentive for me to go to Ikea, the only place where they are sold on a large scale.

@ Icy:
Thanks for the translation and the heads-up. Try any dish you like, they are quite easy to prepare. Any progress?

The wife is on a evening meeting tonight, so I can prepare one of the dishes she can't even bear to watch the preparation or me eating it.

I will succumb to the lowest and oldest of human instincts and tastes and eat loads of raw meat and eggs and onions.

Tonights dish will be a contribution from the traditional french "Haute Cuisine", the legendary "Steak Tartare".

Stay tuned and keep'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's feast.
Steak Tartare (presumed french origin) is regarded as a gourmet dish around the world.
Base for the "steak" is finely ground and very lean beef, which is then spiced in various ways, according to the local habits and preferences. As this is prepared completely raw, make sure to get the meat and eggs from a butcher/grocer of trust. I would never buy it from a butcher I haven't bought several other items before so I can check out the overall quality of the guy and his goods.

The ingredients are (for one hungry person):
smallCIMG1494.jpg

-roughly 200 grams of real fresh, finely ground and very lean beef (have the butcher prepare it before your eyes if possible),
-bread or buns of choice,
-some light vinegar (I had some white balsamico, but even malt vinegar would do the trick),
-half onion, cut in very small cubes,
-some neutral oil,
-one egg yolk,
-one, better two "Fishermans Friend" or other industrial strenght breath mints for the aftermath:lol

As a little addition to the awesome fast food contributions this week, I brought along another German specialty, the so-called "Mett". I was not able to find an english translation for it, so I guess it is a strictly local speciality:
smallCIMG1496.jpg

Mett consists of raw, ground pork meat which is considerably fatter than the beef variant. The ground meat is sold pre-spiced with salt and pepper. It is classically served on a buttered bun with chopped onions.

A bun with butter and "Mett" is the ideal company for a booze-heavy evening, as the fellow German GAFfers can verify.

Back to the steak tartare. The preparation is simple, no special utensils are needed.

first, put the beef in a small bowl. Chop half of the onion to small cubes and add them to the meat (on the right, the other half was chopped more coarse for the Mett):
smallCIMG1497.jpg

smallCIMG1498.jpg

Mix it with a fork. next, add some salt, pepper, knead it again, add the egg yolk, knead again and add some vinegar. Make sure that all ingredients are well mixed before adding the next:
smallCIMG1499.jpg

smallCIMG1501.jpg

smallCIMG1502.jpg

smallCIMG1503.jpg

taste-test it before adding the oil, because the oil acts as a "taste safe" to the tartare: It locks and protects the taste, but will not let in new tastes. About two table spoons will be sufficient:
smallCIMG1504.jpg

Finish Line:

Show your love to the meat by decorating it a little bit:
smallCIMG1507.jpg

smallCIMG1508.jpg

NeoTARTAR
Believe.
:lol :lol :lol

DONE!
Serve with buttered buns and enjoy (right: Steak Tartare, left: Mett):
smallCIMG1511.jpg

smallCIMG1512.jpg

Aftermath:
Don't forget your mint, otherwise it will be no kissing for tonight.
smallCIMG1514.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn.

I hope you enjoyed todays little arcane but utterly delicious meal.
Iwould like to know your stance on this dish, because even beef enthusiasts are split over it. Every feedback, as always, is heartily appreciated.

Keep'em coming!:lol

8bit

Knows the Score
Holy crap. Since moving to central Europe I've learned to enjoy steak which isn't much more than a cow with a suntan, but I still don't think I could bring myself to eating that.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
8bit said:
Holy crap. Since moving to central Europe I've learned to enjoy steak which isn't much more than a cow with a suntan, but I still don't think I could bring myself to eating that.
It's like sushi, only the main ingredient had legs instead of fins. Tartare has got a unique and very sublime texture and taste. It is worth a try.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zaptruder said:
mm... uh... mmm... what's the risk of getting sick eating one of those things? :/
Admittedly, this dish is a bit more risque than others. The key to dangerless enjoyment lies in the careful choice of the ingredients and the people you buy them from.
The pork variant, because it is ready salted, is way more uncomplicated and can be bought (in Germany) without hesitation. As with all ingredients, the nose is a good indicator for suspicious goods: If it smells bad or even uncommon (your subconsciousness will tell you), one should reconsider its use.

catfish said:
Turns out

Hot chicken in tomato sauce ala Rei_Toei
is really freakin good.

Thanks dude!

notes: I made it almost exactly to your description, but the chip things were so good that me and the missus ate em all before dinner time......

It's good to have you back on board!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Damn it. I curse my job for letting me with no time to cook =/

I hope to prepare some chicken tacos with the friends this weekend. It will be a first, so I'll report about the experience (I've only used ground beef before)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OnkelC said:
It's good to have you back on board!

New strategy, Im going to upskill in cooking by using these recipes and posting my results!

I think you've lost me on this one, OnkleC. :)

I've never tried steak tartar... I'm not sure if I would. It's hard for me to get past the raw part of it. I probably shouldn't feel this way since I eat sushi all the time. I suppose I've just been around and am more acclimated to sushi.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Funky Papa said:
Damn it. I curse my job for letting me with no time to cook =/

I hope to prepare some chicken tacos with the friends this weekend. It will be a first, so I'll report about the experience (I've only used ground beef before)
My anticipation for your first contribution has grown to epic proportions from the moment you mentioned the recipe for rotten zombie puke:lol
Serious, I am looking forward to it. Best of Luck for the preparation!

heavy liquid said:
I think you've lost me on this one, OnkleC. :)

I've never tried steak tartar... I'm not sure if I would. It's hard for me to get past the raw part of it. I probably shouldn't feel this way since I eat sushi all the time. I suppose I've just been around and am more acclimated to sushi.

It is a love-or-hate dish, so no hard feelings from me for not liking it. I thought it would be a nice change of pace to prepare something not so common.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
OnkelC said:
My anticipation for your first contribution has grown to epic proportions from the moment you mentioned the recipe for rotten zombie puke:lol
Actually I like tacos because that's the only good looking dish I can make! :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
RumpledForeskin said:
Isn't it advised to cook chop meat even longer than you would regular beef and your you eating it raw? Yuck.
This is totally correct for regular ground beef or pork.

wiki said:
Ground beef is usually made from tougher meat and leftover meat created when the sides of beef are carved into steaks and roasts. About 17-18% of US ground beef comes from dairy cows. A maximum of 30% fat by weight is allowed in either hamburger or ground beef.

The beef used for tartare is normally ground rump steak or even beef fillet, so if one buys dedicated tartare from a trusted butcher, there should be no problem with it.

OnkelC said:

It is a love-or-hate dish, so no hard feelings from me for not liking it. I thought it would be a nice change of pace to prepare something not so common.

Don't get me wrong, it is a nice change of pace to see something out of the ordinary. Just because I'm unsure if I'd try it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy your pics. So thank you (as always)! :)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Just in case, here are a few pics I've found from one of my old taco parties (basically I met with a bunch of friends at someone's house and we eat tacos/drink to our deaths)

Faces erased to protect the innocents.

1.jpg

Chopping the vegetables. Crisps and doritos provide us with fat and energy while making the tacos.

2.jpg

Dining.

4.jpg

My master. Here's the man who teached me how to make tacos. He is also the only human on the face of the Earth capable of rolling a 250gr taco with a normal sized tortilla without staining his fingers or dripping on the dish. It takes years of training.

5.jpg

Around 2kg of meat. Eat more than just one of our tacos and next day you'll have the runs. Best colon cleaner ever.

I hope to update with the recipe next week.

Funky Papa said:
4.jpg

My master. Here's the man who teached me how to make tacos. He is also the only human on the face of the Earth capable of rolling a 250gr taco with a normal sized tortilla without staining his fingers or dripping on the dish. It takes years of training.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Funky Papa said:
Just in case, here are a few pics I've found from one of my old taco parties (basically I met with a bunch of friends at someone's house and we eat tacos/drink to our deaths)

Faces erased to protect the innocents.
*snipped this and the following pics*
Chopping the vegetables. Crisps and doritos provide us with fat and energy while making the tacos.

Dining.

Around 2kg of meat. Eat more than just one of our tacos and next day you'll have the runs. Best colon cleaner ever.

I hope to update with the recipe next week.

Thank you for the insight on the Spanish tacolology, that looks nice. I am looking forward to the new pictures.

Thai said:
wowzers..I dont think I'd have the guts to eat that steak tartar..scary stuff!

As said, no loss in respect for not trying it. It IS a special and nowadays uncommon dish.
But as you can see, I survived the night and feel good (apart from the early morning FU).

If you have ever eaten sushi or the like, it is no big deal to try it out, though.

Other GAFfers, what common dish would you NOT eat by any means?
DISCUSS! and keep'em coming (so we can advance to a new page!:lol )

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
heavy liquid said:
Let's talk hot dogs!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010040-1.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010044.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010042.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010041.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010043.jpg

And now the Coney Dog!

http://www.fancymag.com/images/coneyisland01.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010001.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010002.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/heavyliquid/P1010003.jpg
Damn. First off, I didn't know the history of Coney Dogs. There's Coney Islands all over the place (Metro-Detroit) but I didn't realize that it was such a localized thing.

Secondly, I was in Chicago last November and didn't get a hot dog. There was a vendor right down the street from my hotel, too. I'm going back again in about 2 months, and rest assured, that won't happen again. I will leave there having tried a Chicago hot dog.

I wish I had taken a camera to Helsinki with me when I went. I was eating on the peer where the fresh market was, and ordered a local lunch. It was just a dish of sausage and potatoes, and to appease my American background, I had a Coke with it, too. :) But the sausage was Reindeer sausage, and the way the lady cooked it down there with the scalloped potatoes, it was simply a delicious lunch. There's no way those fishermen could get cold out on the Baltic Sea when they had hearty meals like that.

Anyways, I'll leave this thread with just that little anecdote. :) I plan on cooking that pasta dish of yours the first chance I get, OnkelC!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
catfish said:
Turns out

Hot chicken in tomato sauce ala Rei_Toei

IMG_4970.jpg

is really freakin good.

Thanks dude!

notes: I made it almost exactly to your description, but the chip things were so good that me and the missus ate em all before dinner time......

Glad you like it! Regarding the chips, happens to the best :D. The other day I ate the meal I prepared a day later because I emptied a bag during cooking.. Dangerous stuff.

ChryZ

Tandoori Chicken

Ingredients

1 X broccoli head
1 X garlic clove
3 X chicken breasts
6 TBSP tandoori masala spice mix
6 TSP honey
1 CUP yogurt
1 CUP cooked basmati rice

Prep

clean the chicken, trim the fat and cut in half, dry-rub each piece with a table spoon worth of tandoori spice mix, marinate for 8-24h, store it in the fridge

mash garlic and mix with yogurt, season with salt and pepper

Tandoori_01.jpg

pan-fry the chicken, when almost done add broccoli to a pre-heated steamer, set a timer to 7 min

Tandoori_02.jpg

lower the heat of the pan, glaze chicken with honey and flip a few times, the honey should caramelize a little

Tandoori_03.jpg

remove pan from the burner and cover it with some alu foil, 3-4 min of rest is enough, it makes quite a difference and the meat will be a lot more juicy

Tandoori_04.jpg

serve the chicken on a bed of rice, topped with some garlic yogurt and sided by the steamed broccoli
(drizzle some olive oil over the broccoli, season it with salt and pepper)

Tandoori_05.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
Tandoori Chicken

Great contribution again! Thank you for this.

Do you fry the chicken completely without oil? I made the experience that, even with a teflon pan, the tandoori paste will stick to the pan and leaving a mess, no matter which meat or poultry used.

ChryZ

OnkelC said:
Great contribution again! Thank you for this.

Do you fry the chicken completely without oil? I made the experience that, even with a teflon pan, the tandoori paste will stick to the pan and leaving a mess, no matter which meat or poultry used.
You're welcome.

Not completely without, but with very little. See that silver cylinder in the ingredients pic? It's a pump spray filled with olive oil. It's easy to coat the pan with it, without having everything drowning in oil. Anyway even without is working too with teflon ... as long as the pan is pre-heated and hot enough. The meat will sear quickly then and it's all good.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
You're welcome.

Not completely without, but with very little. See that silver cylinder in the ingredients pic? It's a pump spray filled with olive oil. It's easy to coat the pan with it, without having everything drowning in oil.

Aaaah, ze secret weapons of the fellow cooks!:lol

Tonights dish will be scrambled eggs with a twist.
The ingredients are:
smallCIMG1516.jpg

a few eggs,
some milk and butter (not pictured),
bit of soft cheese,
parsley, dill and chives (had to go for frozen ones),
salt and pepper.

Cooking will start around 6:30pm Berlin time, pics will be up as usual. Stay tuned and keep some feedback coming. This thread could need some more critics (for a few posts at least to advance to the next page).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Your Tandoori chicken looks very good, ChryZ. :) I might have to do a few batches of that to bring for lunches at work soon.

Sorry I haven't contributed anything to the thread yet, Onkel. I don't usually prepare many full meals since I mostly eat breakfast and then a sandwich/yogurt/fruit combo at work. Desserts are more my style, anyway! I'm making a four-layer cake in October for a birthday, so rest assured, that will end up in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom