• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
True. Hopefully it stays that way.

YOU SEEM NEW HERE... *shifty eyes*

Kidding. I think Gaf should be a safe enough place. A ban would be coming to anyone that mega-spoiled us most likely. Multiplayer stuff I am fine with.

EDIT:
Top of page (is there a record for top of page? I think I broke it).

ijfCRgGtfzMC3.gif

All the tension drains away from that moment in the demo when the MC reloads the weapon as the Elite is charging at him. Knocked the wind out of the presentation in that moment when I saw it for the first time.

At this point even if there is a ranking system you know its not going to be good.

PS that whole bulletin read like an advertisement for American obesity.

To rank up and have more guns in your game buy doritors and mountain dew!

Welcome to carls JR Fuck you
It's really poor form to continue to promote shitty eating habits to young people. Maybe Halo 5 will come with a coupon for free insulin shots.

Can't blame them for people going out and buying products to get double xp. Blame the consumers and their lack of willpower. I for one will be buying Mt Dew and Doritos in bulk. So good
You have an incredibly ignorant view on this. Of course it's up to the consumer on whether or not to purchase products, but it's obvious people struggle with that type of willpower constantly. Over a third of US adults are obese, and using shitty marketing practices that ultimately give the finger to that statistic and the people who are or will struggle with obesity is fucking pathetic.

I hate when shit leaks, because we gotta get a hundred posts of "oh shit guys welp gonna go dark i'm out peace"

but none of ya'll mothafuckas actually leave. The people who actually DO go dark, don't post about it. So leave. Or don't. Or just shut the fuck up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Random thoughts that no one will read:

As you rank up, you will gain access to the Armor Ability slot (SR-3), the Tactical Package slot (SR-7), and the Support Upgrade slot (SR-12).

This is dumb, at least to me. I accept that I won't have every weapon/armor ability/etc at first, but not even having one at SR-1 is unfair to me. For the first 12 levels of the game (I'm assuming this is a decent chunk of time), you're at a pretty significant disadvantage. Only thing I can see that really counters this is how much XP you'd get for completing campaign challenges on the first playthrough.

IHaveIce

Banned
So double XP is only available to people in the States? Sucks if true.

This. I mean it was okay in Halo 3, your Rank or EXP didn't affect your gameplay options.

BUt in Halo 4 you are able to use faster your favorite weapons, just because the live in the US and bought doritos

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

This is dumb, at least to me. I accept that I won't have every weapon/armor ability/etc at first, but not even having one at SR-1 is unfair to me. For the first 12 levels of the game (I'm assuming this is a decent chunk of time), you're at a pretty significant disadvantage. Only thing I can see that really counters this is how much XP you'd get for completing campaign challenges on the first playthrough.

Doesn't matter to me

I'll be rolling with vanilla halo - no AA - no buffs

I'm going to be an old school wrecking machine

Oh and I'll start with AR too

mhi

Its kinda of sad that Microsoft in effect, encourages the consumption of these MD and Doritos products. They are very unhealthy and also fuel negative sterotypes of gamers. Definately shows a lack of social responsibilities in the decision making.

Make it Gatorade next time or just don't do it at all.

Tawpgun

It only affects CUSTOM loadouts.

You're still gonna have access to pre-set ones.

I guess people aren't getting that they are talking about CUSTOM LOADOUTS. There will still be regular loadouts that are going to be very much like the default loadouts that have been shown at the conventions. I have no qualms with not being able to customize right off the bat.

edit: Tawpgunned

kylej

Banned
Since it's a matter of grinding XP for largely cosmetic unlocks it doesn't really bother me, but that Double XP for buying caffeinated soft drinks and MSG-flavoured chips is something else.

I dunno, I think that really captures the spirit of Halo 4. In addition to getting double XP for buying soda, you can also spend $350 on a UNSC branded Personal Gaming Environment (a piece of Chinese plastic with a cheap monitor glued in) and a $400 Limited Edition Halo 4 Console (Limited Edition of Halo 4 not included).

FyreWulff

pete the duck has joined up on the Relay Reach port. Business has started picking up.

We've also discovered that Relay's central area is suspiciously the same size as the Grid piece.

Also so many damn strut pieces. SO MANY STRUTS.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It only affects CUSTOM loadouts.

You're still gonna have access to pre-set ones.

I guess people aren't getting that they are talking about CUSTOM LOADOUTS. There will still be regular loadouts that are going to be very much like the default loadouts that have been shown at the conventions. I have no qualms with not being able to customize right off the bat.

Wait, yeah, Do default loadouts have support and tactical packages? I was under the impression that they were composed of just 2 weapons and an AA for some reason.

I hope they are useful.

Akai__

This. I mean it was okay in Halo 3, your Rank or EXP didn't affect your gameplay options.

BUt in Halo 4 you are able to use faster your favorite weapons, just because the live in the US and bought doritos

Yeah, but it doesn't matter, because bad players won't get better, because they rank up faster. They will remain bad. :p

And like Tawpgun already mentioned, there will be hopefully a BR/DMR/etc. preset loadout for some playlists. Hoping for a Team Hardcore/MLG playslist on day one.

---

So, if I get my copy of Halo 4 earlier, which I probably will, I won't be able to play MM, right? Don't care that much, because I will probably play campaign and SpOps the 1st 2-3 days.

Wait, yeah, Do default loadouts have support and tactical packages? I was under the impression that they were composed of just 2 weapons and an AA for some reason.

I hope they are useful.

They do. There are visible icons for each section on the loadout menu in-game so you should easily be able to tell what loadout has Tactical and Support Packages.

Shadders

I hope they are useful.

I think they do, but this just means that any customised loadout I make for the first 12 levels will be inferior to the default ones I'm offered in each game. :\

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah, but it doesn't matter, because bad players won't get better, because they rank up faster. They will remain bad. :p

And like Tawpgun already mentioned, there will be hopefully a BR/DMR/etc. preset loadout for some playlists. Hoping for a Team Hardcore/MLG playslist on day one.

---

So, if I get my copy of Halo 4 earlier, which I probably will, I won't be able to play MM, right? Don't care that much, because I will probably play campaign and SpOps the 1st 2-3 days.

You are right, I didn't even think about preset loadouts.

Hope I also get it earlier, ordered from your mentioned site, so if I also have it let's do some CoOp reeeally early or some customs ! :D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Its kinda of sad that Microsoft in effect, encourages the consumption of these MD and Doritos products. They are very unhealthy and also fuel negative sterotypes of gamers. Definately shows a lack of social responsibilities in the decision making.

Make it Gatorade next time or just don't do it at all.

I put it more on the person eating/drinking than MS. For those of us with self control it's nice to get some bonus stuff from our occasional Dew or Doritos.

bGanci

Banned
I put it more on the person eating/drinking than MS. For those of us with self control it's nice to get some bonus stuff from our occasional Dew or Doritos.
I agree with deadly. Microsoft puts their advertisement on Mountain Dew because it has a rep attached to gaming. When you think of Gatorade you think of sports. It's a great business plan and makes sense. But it's on the consumer if they consume an unhealthy amount. Just my opinion.

Are people really complaining about Mountain Dew and Doritos being unhealthy? lol

Nah, they're complaining that MS would actively seek out unhealthy items to promote their game. Either people want to buy Mt. Dew/Doritos or else they want the code.

If the codes were packaged in Halo themed fruit smoothies, they'd sell and they'd probably sell well. Even if they didn't, MS' promotion was promoting a healthy drink along with their game.

Thankfully there are no DEXP codes in cigarettes... yet :p

Akai__

You are right, I didn't even think about preset loadouts.

Hope I also get it earlier, ordered from your mentioned site, so if I also have it let's do some CoOp reeeally early or some customs ! :D

Sounds good for me. We'll see, how it turns out.

Edit: Really hoping, to get it at least on Saturday, because I have to go Friday to the university and have to work later.

willow ve

Nah, they're complaining that MS would actively seek out unhealthy items to promote their game. Either people want to buy Mt. Dew/Doritos or else they want the code.

If the codes were packaged in Halo themed fruit smoothies, they'd sell and they'd probably sell well. Even if they didn't, MS' promotion was promoting a healthy drink along with their game.

They would be Sgt. Johnson themed cigars anyway....

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

It's marketing. Could they put XP on healthy stuff? Yeah. But the Pepsi brands sell in conjunction with gaming outside of themed foods and beverages and are exactly (already) targeted at the Halo/gaming demographic so adding the Halo branding to Dew and Doritos makes the most sense in a business perspective.

I think Pepsi does own a brand of bottled water though, they could have thrown the XP on that too for at least one healthy option.

Fotos

I don't know if this has been posted yet but on the bulletin if you highlight the whole page there are little messages in the black spaces between the text. Is it new canon or something?

I look forward to actually playing a Halo game with you.

Bring your A game when it comes to conversation fodder though.

Or, you could just mute me.
The only A game I have is conversation.

Are people really complaining about Mountain Dew and Doritos being unhealthy? lol
Either skip the topic completely or read it thoroughly, because your comment makes it sound like you have no comprehension.

All of a sudden...

...input lag.
How can you tell if one hand is in a bag of DoritosXP?

Sordid

I got 24 bottles of Mountain Dew Energy as a gift 'because they had that Halo dude on them'. It tastes okay for an energy drink but 24 bottles :/ they should definitely try attaching it to something healthy next time. I actually won something through their giveaway though, some Halo 4 avatar armour. If I win more avatar stuff or a copy of Halo 4 I'll give the stuff away here :)

Waaaay late to the conversation but the lack of big, flat spaces (and colours!) in the Forge environments seems pretty stupid. Wasn't one of the big criticisms of Forge World (well, after the sea of gray) the lack of a properly flat area? Crazy.

I bet they're still working on the ranking system, which is why they haven't announced it. Game going gold don't mean much for multiplayer these days. They weren't going to add one but neogaf uproar single handedly changed their mind. /anthrogafcentric post of desperate hope.

heckfu

Banned
Hi,
My name is heckfu. I live in the southeastern part of the United States where elastic pants reign supreme and Mountain Dew flows like water sparkling under the midday sun.

I welcome loosening my belt prophylactically, eagerly anticipating the weight gain and insulin shortage I'm about to earn.

OR, I can skip that double XP garbage and just play my balls off.

Hi,
My name is heckfu. I live in the southeastern part of the United States where elastic pants reign supreme and Mountain Dew flows like water sparkling under the midday sun.

I welcome loosening my belt prophylactically, eagerly anticipating the weight gain and insulin shortage I'm about to earn.

Learn something new every day.

Hi,

A more likely scenario is you combining the bolded into one "interesting" activity...

Tunavi

Banned

tl;dr

Talents

Banned
Lol.

So it's not the game, the graphics, new campaign, new multiplayer style, new eposodic campaign, new enemies, new game modes, new weapons, new abilities, full sandbox, huge musical score or anything else that interests you.

Its numbers next to your gametag.

You might prefer Excel.

I've had this conversation with so many god damn people on here I forgot who the last person was but here is my response:

No, I don't care if there is a number/medal/whatever next to my name, what I care about is the game matching people up according to their skill. I don't want a person who has only just started playing Halo on my team and doesn't know how to call out/aim, I want someone who will actually help the team instead of running off and giving the other team 10 kills before he can get 1.

Sai-kun

Banned

You will. You might get your rank reset a day or two before the game comes out, but you'll be able to play online.

I say this only from experience with Reach. 343 might be different? But I doubt it.

Top Bottom