• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

FyreWulff

I'm more interested in the king of the hill phone app they get - that sounds interesting.

Pretty annoying that people outside of America will be at a disadvantage.

There isn't even a 7-11 around here unless I go to another state. So not even everyone in America will be able to use that app.

So here's the short vid, stay away if you consider microsoft, h4 and 343's logos packed with some cool ransitions spoiler material.
No campaign spoilers inside, he told me he might be uploading more vids from some maps soon (he says he also took some pics).

Is he in a store or something?

feel

This is what I don't get: Halo is all about the combat sandbox, and the mix of weapons (and now, abilities) it contains.

So the new Halo game locks up a large swath of the weapons and abilities until you've ground out enough ranks.

I understand why they did it - wanting to make the ranks have a more tangible reward. But that kind of a progression system is just diametrically opposed to what Halo is about.
As are MANY things in Halo 4, but the developers that cared about Halo being Halo down to the little details easy to miss, are long gone unfortunately.

So here's the short vid, stay away if you consider microsoft, h4 and 343's logos packed with some cool ransitions spoiler material.
No campaign spoilers inside, he told me he might be uploading more vids from some maps soon (he says he also took some pics).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e31FjkdIPHc&feature=plcp
Was about to call shenanigans when that big ass silly 4 showed up. But then the 343 logo animation made me go ooooh!

IHaveIce

Banned

he also has another video where he walks around on Haven.
I don't get that? Why not directly the last map. We will see, I think for now it isn't the final build

feel

lmao his kid is adorable asking why he's shooting the weapons at nothing on Haven, dude stays quiet and the kid goes on and on about it

dat BR

Too transformers-ey

Cause it looks like Transformers.
racism_transformers_movie_twins2.jpg
0.jpg

Or something

gillFTR

I bought a XIM edge so I could use mouse and keyboard. I'm sorry guys, I can't use to controller on an FPS after starting on a PC as a 13 year old on CS 1.5. Testing it with reach never new Halo multiplayer could be this fun, still suck.

feel

I bought a XIM edge so I could use mouse and keyboard. I'm sorry guys, I can't use to controller on an FPS after starting on a PC as a 13 year old on CS 1.5. Testing it with reach never new Halo multiplayer could be this fun, still suck.
You playing that 30fps blurfest with a mouse? Daaayuuum

edit- lol kittens <3

gillFTR

You playing that 30fps blurfest with a mouse? Daaayuuum

edit- lol kittens <3

Hahaha well I kind of lied, Im pretty beast now, but I didnt want to get venom from people as a cheater or whatever. In about 35 games I've only had 3 games with a negative spread and won about 75 % of them. I remember playing a game before I got the edge 2 days ago, I did great 1 game next map didn't get a single kill rofl. Thats when I broke down and started looking for alternatives.

zap

Do those show up for the XBL banhammer? I don't know how much better a mouse is with the autoaim etc, but that doesn't seem fair to everyone else using a controller.

gillFTR

Do those show up for XBL banhammer? I don't know how much better a mouse is with the autoaim etc, but that doesn't seem fair to everyone else using a controller.

Nah they don't show up on the banhammer. The translating or whatever is done through an external device with a controller hooked up. Even I have to agree it is a little unfair, would love to show the before and after of my stats page, but too scared.

zap

Nah they don't show up on the banhammer. The translating or whatever is done through an external device with a controller hooked up. Even I have to agree it is a little unfair, would love to show the before and after of my stats page, but too scared.

I want to watch you 1v1 Tashi. Controller vs Mouse ;)

Ken

I see that Youtube comments is still a friendly and respectful thing.

Will Spartan Ops have any kind of leaderboard?

gillFTR

I want to watch you 1v1 Tashi. Controller vs Mouse ;)

Im sure if the person has been playing longer he would be better :p. Thats the great thing about Halo, it's not always about the best aim, so many nuances , power weapons, power ups etc. Lets just say I still have the habit of running at the dude armed with a shotgun.

zap

Im sure if the person has been playing longer he would be better :p. Thats the great thing about Halo, it's not always about the best aim, so many nuances , power weapons, power ups etc. Lets just say I still have the habit of running at the dude armed with a shotgun.

True. Would be very interesting to see if you could out DMR him. I still have nightmares of the times I've played against him :/

You know, if I'd of said that, people would of been all over me like "OMG YOU ALWAYS SAY THE SAME THING STFU STOP COMPLAINING!!11!!oNe!"

Because of posts like these.

Talents

Banned
Wow that's depressing, after waiting 5 years for a Halo 4 they implement no ranking system. And I was actually half looking forward to buying the game, guess not now.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Read the new bulletin.

Read it. Didn't see anything boldly stating that there would be no competitive "rank"

They really only showed the 'Player Investment System', AKA goals achievements and challenges that will keep players like me jumping through hoops to earn virtual monies and dress up items.

Fingers crossed they'll have an Arena v2 or something better.

nillapuddin

please stop spoiling the minds of those who are lttp

Here I'll move it down here.

Frank on skill based ranking system

Starting at 42:20 and ends at 43:20, listen to what Frank says.

props to pop

be
FUCKING
patient

Wow that's depressing, after waiting 5 years for a Halo 4 they implement no ranking system. And I was actually half looking forward to buying the game, guess not now.

OMG YOU ALWAYS SAY THE SAME THING STFU STOP COMPLAINING!!11!!oNe!

zap

Finally caught up on the thread...stupid real life keeping me busy.

I'm a little depressed by the Forge reveal videos...I was expecting so much more - that feels somewhat weird to say, I certainly don't feel entitled to more, but I was hoping some lessons would have been learned from the previous Forge iterations. While I can visualise some interesting areas to create maps, I'm a little concerned that the lack of "blank canvas' areas is going to stifle creativity. :(

Still, rest of the game looks sweet. Doubt I will bother as much with Forge this time around anyway.

Taken from the Bulletin

"To rank up, you need to earn XP. You earn XP by:"

RANKING SYSTEM. If this wasn't they wouldn't have used the word RANK.

Shadders

Taken from the Bulletin

"To rank up, you need to earn XP. You earn XP by:"

RANKING SYSTEM. If this wasn't they wouldn't have used the word RANK.

No. In Halo 3 your rank was always the military name - Captain, Lieutenant or whatever. The number was your "Skill" or "Skill rank". I wouldn't read anything into their terminology here.

Shadders

When I say ranked ranking system, I mean skill-based, if I recall, he specifically said skill-based.

I asked him directly:

Me: So what can you tell me about the Halo 4 ranking system?

FO: What ranking system?

Me: Not the Exp based Spartan Ranks, a skill based system?

FO: That's not something we're talking about at the moment, we'll have more on that closer to launch.

It does imply that there's more to come.

EDIT: As a minimum I'd think we'd get something akin to Arena which periodically places us in divisions.

Top Bottom