• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii part at moms house

http://picturethis.clubmom.com/

Picture Nintendo...
...all up in my house. I know, that's not exactly anything I've ever really thought about picturing either. That was, until yesterday when quite literally, Nintendo was in my house.

Yep, that's me on the far right with all the Nintendo Peeps in my front yard.

Confused? Here's how it began: I get an email with "Nintendo Ambassador" as the subject. I look over it, and send a reply, "I'm sorry but I think you may have sent this by mistake". Get an email back stating that it was no mistake along with proof that the email is legit (I think I may have asked for them to take me off the spam list or something short and cynical) and that they know who I am (which I'm assuming meant the lowest-tech person stumbling around the blogosphere) and found me through my blog. Wow. OK, interest peaked. After a few more emails back and forth I find myself all signed up as a Nintendo Ambassador. Huh? I basically agreed to have some super hush-hush gamer shindig at my house so a big old bunch of my family and friends could check out the highly anticipated, not yet released Wii Gaming System. Disclaimer- this would be something I never thought I'd do in a million years until my husband caught wind of it. Mind you, he's no gamer but his thought, if the blogging world offers me perks, then who am I to refuse?? Good point. So,we had the party yesterday and if you can imagine, there were 4 amazing TV's set up, with 4 Wii Gaming Systems (under lock and key, I might add)throughout our house. It was pretty impressive, I must say. And I'm one mom who is not easily impressed with these kinds of things. But everyone was really getting into the fun, flailing arms and legs and everything. Let's just say that most of the Wii system games that we played do not accommodate couch potatoes!
246800361_439ed9c8ee.jpg

SO, back to the perks. Hmmm, let's see if I can recall some of the perks...

Free shirts

Enough food from our favorite Mexican Restaurant to feed a small country (did I mention beer and wine?)

The ability to really impress our friends

Family bonding

Getting witness people getting their 'game on'

Letting our daughter and her friends go nuts (who now think blogging is the portal to all things good)

Our thank you gifts (Can you say DS lites & games? I'll bet your kids can!)

Playing games that no one else has played yet, "neener, neener, neener!" (as my Uncle put it)
246800367_2f7efe7822.jpg

Party Favors
246800369_f10ab00e6a.jpg

To have a phenomenal group of strangers come in, set up a full-blown, all expenses paid, totally amazing party at our house and then CLEAN it all up for us.

Left overs (in both the food and the alcohol department)

But don't just take my word for it-check out the mosaic I made with those groovy flickr toys.

246864725_9833497664.jpg

So, to put it simply, Nintendo won me over. And I think I can say the same for the 35 other people that we're here. I'll betcha half of them have already pre-ordered their Wii Systems (which won't be available to the public until Nov. 19th). Which is I'm sure what this party set out to do. And if that is the case, mission accomplished guys. Wii now love Nintendo. And for the record, you are welcome in my home anytime
!

I got to admit, nice strategy for Nintendo, especially hittting the demographics they want.

MrDaravon

Interesting. I think this is the kind of thing Nintendo is banking on; if they can get typically non-gamers to actually pick up the wiimote and check it out, they'll be hooked.

Jeff-DSA

That's freaking awesome.

Now she'll go back to work the next day and tell everybody about it and so will her friends that came over. It's a pretty cool way to market something. In her excitement I'm sure she'll make it sound 10 times more fun that it really was too.

ant1532

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I don't believe this for one second.

Sounds WAY to scripted.
Nah, Nintendo has been finding random people(There was one kinda close to me too) and making them the party host and setting these parties up in certain locations. TSA was one of em too.

X26

Banned
neat idea on nintendo's part, although I'd think that its impact is pretty limited since it reacher out to so few people. Word of mouth can only go so far in this case

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
X26 said:
neat idea on nintendo's part, although I'd think that its impact is pretty limited since it reacher out to so few people. Word of mouth can only go so far in this case

not if they keep targeting people with blogs.

its a pretty good strategy actually.. much better than hiring people to post on message boards.

Amir0x said:
Nintendo: "hey guys, free food and beer"

Mom: "We're totally into Wii, SOLD!"

Now what if one of these moms hates the Wii, and writes a negative blog about it? Not going to happen, because these people were planted by Nintendo. Or paid.

hans1ee3.gif

Banned
X26 said:
They've targeted a fair few vocal people, her because she's a normal person & a blogger. Good word of mouth there if she's got a decent sized 'normal person' readership, then they tell someone, then they tell someone... Nothing like opinions from a real person other than a PR exec. It'll go a long way to getting people interested who weren't, for sure.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Amir0x said:
Nintendo: "hey guys, free food and beer"

Mom: "We're totally into Wii, SOLD!"
Beats Sony's.
Sony: "Hay guys!"
Mom: "Oh, nice to see you So-"
*Sony poops in Mom's mouth*

KINGMOKU

Thats pretty ****ing cool. Kinda reminds me of the cube club I went to.

Unless they do like 10 of these in each state, the impact will be small as hell.

Zynx

Hmm, I wonder if Nintendo is hoping for non-internet word of mouth, or internet word of mouth? How many readers does that blog get?

Ecrofirt

PhoenixDark said:
Now what if one of these moms hates the Wii, and writes a negative blog about it? Not going to happen, because these people were planted by Nintendo. Or paid.

hans1ee3.gif

:lol , you brought it to GAF.

Top Bottom