• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread: November 2012 A Bold New Era!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
irpPbcLB8siIx.png

It's the start of a new era for iOS and NeoGAF with this, the first of our new monthly threads. Say goodbye to the old unweildy 200,000 post long megathreads, this is the future.

So what's going on? Every month a member of the iOS GAF community will start a new thread for the chronicling of new releases, rumours, discussion and petty personal attacks that have come to define the fast moving world of iOS gaming. What's really new here is that the OP will also contain a list of all the best new releases for that month as they come out. This way we get to keep tabs on the best games and you (yes you), the mythical unicorn known as the iOS Novice will have an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed. As months go on, Community members can also use their turn on the OP to pimp their favourite games and genres. I know we're all looking forward to the eventual Kairosoft special!

It's all very exciting.

ibyGkj5yaSHttK.png

November's Games!

So far, these seem to be the thread favourites from this month:

Knights of Pen & Paper £1.49, Universal
A fun twist on the traditional retro RPG. Play a pixellated simulation of a table top RPG session, complete with dungeon master telling the story as you go. Charming visual style and presentation, fairly standard turn based mechanic. Fun.
mzl.imcmmwau.320x480-75.jpg

ARC Squadron £2.99, Universal
It's Starfox, on your iOS device on the Unreal engine. What else do you need?? Great touch controls, pretty pictures and a sorely underused genre. I love it so far.
mzl.tbdvqgtr.320x480-75.jpg

Angry Birds Star Wars 79p/£1.99, no universal
Two played out franchises for the price of one! People who are buying it will buy it. Loaded to the gills with IAP.
mzl.aumscjko.480x480-75.jpg

Puzzle & Dragons FREE, Universal (English version is US exclusive for some reason)
Match 3 or more Orbs of the same color to attack your enemies. Unlike most puzzle games, you can move an Orb as far as you want. Match the mystical Orbs and watch your Monsters attack. Collect tons of unique Monsters and assemble the best possible team. JAPAN WARNING! :p
mzl.krqgkikn.320x480-75.jpg

TNNS £1.49, Universal
Fromt the creator of the amazing Ziggurrat comes this weird bouncey ball game. INNOVATION.
mzl.jcfbyhia.320x480-75.jpg

STARCREATOR's MUSIK KORNER

1IR7k.gif

REFLEC BEAT + FREE, Universal
KONAMI's other touch music gaming pillar is now released internationally! This game plays like a music game version of air hockey - play against an AI-controlled opponent or a friend on the same iPad. Three songs are included for free, with a music store with regular content updates.
mzl.cnyapjvl.480x480-75.jpg

beat gather FREE, iPhone/iPod Touch
Unlike most music games on the market, this one generates playfields from your own music collection. Has been available in Japan for quite some time, but this is the first time it is available internationally.
mzl.qvddbplb.320x480-75.jpg

Some games from last month, recommended

Letterpress FREE, Universal
It's a word game! Everyone loves word games! It's this week's Draw Something.
mzl.tgabyxcf.320x480-75.jpg

Punch Quest FREE, Universal
It's like Jetpack Joyride on steroids and it's punching you IN THE FACE. An almost perfect running game with an incredibly flawed business model. Some people might lose their jobs, but we get an awesome game out of it. Feel guilty but be entertained.
mzl.qrxhnezv.320x480-75.jpg

Carmageddon £1.49, Universal
Wear a Global Hypercolour T-shirt, put some Offspring on the stereo and party like it's 1994! Splat peds and wreck cars in this nostalgic arena 'racer'.
mzl.uauapkuz.320x480-75.jpg

True Skate £1.49, Universal
Fingerboard officionados rejoice! Here's a unique new skating game that's been taking the community by storm. It's limited for now by shows immense promise.
mzl.gwtfbbcv.320x480-75.jpg

Girls Like Robots 79p, Universal
I wont lie, I have no idea about this game. But it's published by Adult Swim and they're ace. Try it, tell me why it's good.
mzl.fcfzirjj.320x480-75.jpg

iKylaboHIHZQG.png

Q - Is Baldur's Gate / Ghost Recon / Infinity Blade: Dungeons / Clash of Heroes out yet? Do you know when they'll be released?
A - No and No. Rumour has it Baldur's Gate will be out November 28, and that's all we know. Away with you!

Q - Should I buy this newly released EA game?
A - wait 5 days for a sale.

Q - I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
A - Best iOS Games Ever v1 / Best iOS Games Ever v2. You're welcome.

iCkOQVdq9Br7F.png

How to Become an Official GAF iOS GameCenter/OpenFeint Member

Thanks to Fuu for taking the reins on this!

The List
updated: daily (mostly).

#RULES: How to get on the list / Update your profile / Add friends

• Send Fuu a PM if you want to be added to the list or taken off the list, following this EXACT same text formatting

GAF Name = Name [GC] / Name [OF] / Name [Plus+] / Device

• When you add someone, add FROM GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name so to easily tell who's who and avoid unknown non-registered lurkers :)
  • Also send Fuu a PM if you are ALREADY on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS platform(s) owned (it's cool to know who has an iPad for all the games with separate SKUs), Plus+ profile or to just change your existing GC or OF profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's ok to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFfers challenging us on the friends leaderboard.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option ;)
  • Remember: your real name will be visible to your GC friends

...and that's everything for now. This is a live OP and so will change as the month goes on so check back often.

Thanks to Fuu for taking the reins of the community list and to Tunesmith for the banners and graphics!

iwLr0u34DBFfo.png

Mik2121

I definitely recommend Punch Quest. I like the music, and the game itself is also very easy to play yet engaging. In a way it's kinda like Jetpack Joyride, but punching around instead of lifting yourself.

SmokyDave

Like the format Jedeye!

Arc Squadron is my early hot-tip for November goodness. Think Afterburner Climax but with upgradeable spaceships. It only came out this morning and it's 69p at the moment.

True Skate was my pleasant surprise from last month. It just feels so damned tactile. I hope they add more meat to the game as time goes on. I noticed there was an update yesterday with an additional 4 missions so that's a promising start.

Edit: Also, Bad Piggies is a great little game. I think that dropped last month.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
btw, if anyone is a graphics wiz and would like to make some banners, please send me a PM. My art skills are limited to what I can do with a marker pen and pritt stick.

Like the format Jedeye!

Arc Squadron is my early hot-tip for November goodness. Think Afterburner Climax but with upgradeable spaceships. It only came out this morning and it's 69p at the moment.

I have Arc Squadron currently burning a hole in my iPad. I will give it a go after I finally get some work done today :p

Tizoc

Just a heads up-
Bought Knights of Pen & Paper and ARC Squadron, and I haven't even tried all my previous purchases from this week. Guess my rule of not buying anything for a while until I actually need something new to play is officially busted. I blame this thread, a whole dollar!, etc.

The Secret of Grisly Manor is free at the moment. Adventure game.

What games are free atm for iPhone?
Didn't chek yesterday due to work and stuff >_>;

Chopper

Yeah I saw this yesterday but it went a little over my head? What have Nimblebit done before?
Most notably Pocket Frogs (which just got a huge update), Tiny Tower and Pocket Planes.

Love em or hate em, they're great at what they do. Pocket Planes was a little disappointing, despite having some good ideas (even though Touch Arcade sort of mullered the leaderboards), and it lacked longevity.

That screenshot looks promising though!

Acosta

Awesome!, subscribed.

Download Punch Quest! It is great! I will put some money to tip the developers, they deserve it.

madmackem

Ive been away from ios for a while, im about to jump in with the new new ipad are most of the game apps now supporting retina.

Epcott

Currently adding people from Dash's Game Center list.
Since it's not updated anymore, my GC is Epcott_x

Bought Knights of Pen and Paper this morning.
Only played 5 minutes worth before work, and its pretty fun. It truly is like a pen and paper RPG put into classic RPG format, dungeon master and all.

I love the banter between the party members (and the character selection).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Good work, Jedeye. Monthly threads will be a good idea, no reason for the normal posting habits from the megathread regulars to be affected so I hope everyone keeps subscribing to these. By the way, if Dash continues to be MIA I think we'll eventually have to make a new version of the GAF Game Center list with a new curator.

A couple more games for the OP (KoPP was released on Oct 30, ARC Squadron on Nov 01). Copypasted blurbs because I'm lazy:

Knights of Pen & Paper $1.99, Universal
Knights of Pen&Paper is an indie turn-based retro style pixel-art RPG. Inspired by the great titles of the 90's, play this game feels like you are playing a traditional pen and paper RPG.

ARC Squadron $0.99 for the first 24hrs (down from $4.99), Universal
With simple one-touch controls, you can shoot, blast, and annihilate enemy forces to hunt down each of the nine Guardian lords and destroy them once and for all. The ultimate battle for the galaxy is nigh. Are you on board?

Bumhead

Banned
As a newbie to iOS (or at least, returning from Exodus) ill be finding this thread incredibly useful. Nice work.

Shaneus

Nice thread! Can I suggest though, would it be better to have the prices from the US app store in the OP? I'm in Australia so neither the UK or US price isn't much to me, but it's easier to extrapolate to almost any currency from the US one, generally.

If not, that's cool! Just trying to make it a little more awesomer than it already is :)

As someone who was daunted by the size of the old iOS thread to start posting, let me just say thanks for the new monthly format! I'm subscribed and ready to follow.

However, this already made me spend a dollar on ARC Squadron, so I could see this getting expensive...

Great thread.

What might be handy is a IAP gauge for each game.

Something like:

IAP Free
IAP Optional
IAP Required!

Also a warning never to buy an EA game at full price...

Dragnet

Buying Arc Squadron just to support Psyonix. The world needs Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars 2!

Zeth

Yes! Monthly OT sounds awesome. Anyone try Arc Squadron? The TA Plays video looked pretty damn good.

Also Punch Quest. So damn good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nothing earth shattering like Rayman Jungle Run or Super Hexigon this month, but I've enjoyed the time I've spent with Punch Quest. It's not quite Jetpack Joyride-good, but it's a nice and polished little runner with a great presentation.

I want to like True Skate, but I've struggled with the controls so far. Seems like about 50% of my gestures trigger the wrong actions. I don't know if I'm just bad at it, or if the controls are a bit unwieldy. I'm sure it's much better on a tablet, though.

I'll play Girls Like Robots soon and report back.

Metapost: I'm sold on having monthly threads. It's a good way to keep things fresh.

Wunder

Since having to update my Apple account and getting a new iPhone 4S, my current credit card doesn't seem to want to be registered under my iTunes store and I can't buy any games. That being said, I've been hooked on PunchQuest for a couple days now and can't put that down, so I'm grateful so good f2p games. Any thoughts on block method? I stuck with two-touch but I'm getting a bit annoyed at how easily you can block, but I can't really get a good flow with swipe either.

SmokyDave

Anyone try Arc Squadron? The TA Plays video looked pretty damn good.

Yup. I'm really enjoying it. You swipe to move your ship around the screen and a quick swipe triggers a barrel roll (to avoid bullets or shake off a certain attack that disables weapons). Secondary weapon is used by tapping on the target*. The ship automatically fires the primary weapon once the reticule is over an enemy. You occasionally collect cubes for points and grabbing all the cubes in a sequence nets you a bonus cube. Looks nice (UE), sounds good, plays nice. There seems to be a nice amount of content and although there are IAP, they don't seem at all intrusive. As I said further up, it reminds me of Afterburner Climax in some ways.

*My only issue is that I find it tricky to fire the secondary weapon in the heat of battle. I'd prefer it if I could highlight the enemy I wanted to shoot and then press the screen (a two-finger press in effect because my 'swiping' finger never leaves the screen).

For 69p, I have no complaints whatsoever.

Opening up this thread with a music game launch (lol)

Rhythmix/Rhythmanix $0.99/$1.99 (down from $1.99/$2.99), iPhone/iPad is now released and currently 50% off (33% off on iPad) for a limited time. The game is clearly "inspired" by DJ MAX Technika but the game system is adjusted a bit in regions where Pentavision can enforce a software patent after they took notice of it prior to its original planned release date back in August. Rhythmix retains the Technika-like gameplay while Rhythmanix is the adjusted version (in US, UK, KR, and JP, possibly others).

Rhythmix:
mzl.xzlkrmnc.480x480-75.jpg

Rhythmanix:
mzl.cvzcnxsm.480x480-75.jpg

Official trailer

Manax

Monthly iOS GAF lets do this, will try and keep track of things that get mentioned this month and pass it on to someone for next month

In other news hella addicted to simpsons tapped out (going crazy with fences)

and punch quest is going down nice and smooth, the sound design in the game is amazing very satisfying to hear those bones bounce

Edit: and thanks to the OP I just realised you can play in landscape mode, seems to change up the difficulty

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Good work, Jedeye. Monthly threads will be a good idea, no reason for the normal posting habits from the megathread regulars to be affected so I hope everyone keeps subscribing to these. By the way, if Dash continues to be MIA I think we'll eventually have to make a new version of the GAF Game Center list with a new curator.

A couple more games for the OP (KoPP was released on Oct 30, ARC Squadron on Nov 01). Copypasted blurbs because I'm lazy:

With simple one-touch controls, you can shoot, blast, and annihilate enemy forces to hunt down each of the nine Guardian lords and destroy them once and for all. The ultimate battle for the galaxy is nigh. Are you on board?

OOOOOOOOOOOOH, more space combat games. sweet

Manax

So how does a game get itself on the first post?

Released and discussed/enjoyed by gaffers from the last month?

Jedeye did a good job but I'm sure there are a few that were missed, guess you can hit the original poster up with a PM to see if they want to add anything

make it easy for them by presenting it like Fuu?

Also I guess the person in charge of the thread may like to recommend some of their favorite games too keep things interesting

I'm still enjoying Guardian Cross. It's fun to see how far you can progress in the colosseum without hitting a complete wall. There isn't much to the game on the surface, but there is actually a good amount of strategy behind how you stack your deck and teach your guys abilities.

Use my invite if you're gonna check it out OR79712 You get a bonus card (and I get one too if 6 more people use that)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's time for questions and answers!

Knights of Pen & Paper $1.99, Universal
Knights of Pen&Paper is an indie turn-based retro style pixel-art RPG. Inspired by the great titles of the 90's, play this game feels like you are playing a traditional pen and paper RPG.

I agree with everything you say here - a new gamecentre list would be aces, I wonder if Flunkie'd be interested in taking the whole reins over? And yep, shall be adding those games to the OP post-haste, they seem to be this week's early hits.

Nice thread! Can I suggest though, would it be better to have the prices from the US app store in the OP? I'm in Australia so neither the UK or US price isn't much to me, but it's easier to extrapolate to almost any currency from the US one, generally.

If not, that's cool! Just trying to make it a little more awesomer than it already is :)

ehhhhh, I really don't know if I can be arsed :p I'm english, so it shows me english prices. Next thread if a NZ or Aus person gets it then they're welcome to use Aus dollas too if they like. America is not the world, let's stop treating them like they are! haha

Great thread.

What might be handy is a IAP gauge for each game.

Something like:

IAP Free
IAP Optional
IAP Required!

Also a warning never to buy an EA game at full price...

EA warning would be cool. IAP... no, I think it would just reinforce the slightly infantile attitude towards tiny payments in dirt cheap games that some on GAF have. I want no part of it. Of course, when you do an OP you're welcome to include the info.

this looks great! any comments on length/difficulty?

It was out yesterday. I don't think anyone knows yet.

So how does a game get itself on the first post?

For this month, I put it there. I'm open to suggestions, but I am also terribly discriminatory.

Opening up this thread with a music game launch (lol)

Rhythmanix $0.99/$1.99 (down from $2.99/$5.99), iPhone/iPad (formerly Rhythmix) is now released and currently 33% off for a limited time. The game is clearly "inspired" by DJ MAX Technika but has had its game system adjusted a bit after Pentavision took notice of it prior to its original planned release date back in August.

mzl.cvzcnxsm.480x480-75.jpg

Official trailer

Case in point! I don't know if I will put this in the OP :p because I am a bastard and I don't really like music games. Maybe I will though if a few other people recommend it.

btw StarCreator you should totally do a music game special when it's your turn. You were born for it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Our game is already being pirated! We made it!

I finally started into Rayman Jungle Run after buying it, and then getting too distracted by Letterpress.

Both games are great.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Released and discussed/enjoyed by gaffers from the last month?

Jedeye did a good job but I'm sure there are a few that were missed, guess you can hit the original poster up with a PM to see if they want to add anything

make it easy for them by presenting it like Fuu?

Also I guess the person in charge of the thread may like to recommend some of their favorite games too keep things interesting

Pretty much this. I kept it fairly short in last month's games because there will shortly be a lot of this month's games in there too. The idea with these new threads is that the starter will have final say on what goes in the OP, but if the community is really loving something then it will almost certainly go in. More niche games will be up to the OP.

So, from yesterday/today's releases, what looks good?

I picked up Arc Squadron, but haven't had a chance to play. Any other recommendations?

Forkball

Knights of Pen and Paper looks interesting. The worst thing about iOS is that if you don't pay attention to it constantly, you have no idea that dozens of fun games came out.

SteveWD40

ehhhhh, I really don't know if I can be arsed :p I'm english, so it shows me english prices. Next thread if a NZ or Aus person gets it then they're welcome to use Aus dollas too if they like. America is not the world, let's stop treating them like they are! haha

labF1.gif

Acosta

Do anyone remember the name of the space simulator that was released recently in iOS? Looked pretty great but I don't find it in Tourcharcade.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Arc Squadron is really quite slick, I like it a lot so far (20 mins in). I'm a massive OG Starfox fan though so I was pre-sold. Very nice controls so far. We'll see once it gets a little more hectic.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Kouriozan

I tried Knights of Pen & Paper on my brother's smartphone and I really love it!
I'll download it for sure when I get my iPad.

heringer

Monthly threads are finally a thing huh? Cool. :)

Arc Squadron looks great. Bought it but haven't played yet.

I'm interested in N.Y.Zombies 2, anyone tried that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom