• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you tracking your gaming list, watchlist, and other gaming-related news, info, etc?

near

Gold Member
Posting this thread on behalf of a neo member R randomlock who doesn't have thread creating privileges. The following thoughts are not my own:

Hi All
I don't have permission to create a new thread. How can I see what is the reason for it and what can I do to fix this?
Anyway what I want to post is

Title - How are you tracking your gaming list, watchlist, and other gaming-related news, info, etc?
Description - I couldn't find any decent apps in Google Play Store/iOS that are like an IMDB of video games where users can find, list, and maintain their gaming list/watchlist/planned games. I am thinking of creating an open-source mobile application where everyone from neogaf can contribute to the app. Users will be able do things like
  • Browing games, Adding games to their completed/planned/dropped list
  • Check game details, HLTB stats, Opencritic/Metacritic reviews, user reviews,
  • Check game characters, screenshots, and videos as well as any news related to it
  • Get recommended games based on their score and genres played
  • Get detailed analytics and statistics about the games they have added to their list
  • Publish their reviews and recommend games to others. Check recommended games from other users they want to follow or not
  • Lot of other features as suggested by neogaf members
The App should be completely free, open-source, and ad-free. Is there any need for this app or do you guys think there is already an existing application available that does all the things? I know that people use Steam, and PlayStation profiles to track all these but folks who are using multi-platform might not be able to have all their games in one place. Moreover, a lot of features as suggested above might not be available in a single application. Let me know what you guys think.

Humdinger

I just have a simple Word document, listing games that are of interest to me, along with a few notes about them (e.g., type of game, release window/date, any concerns). It's nothing elaborate, just 7 or 8 games, along with a couple of thoughts. Below that, I have a short list of games I've considered but rejected, and the reasons for that rejection. I don't track the games I've played or the ones in my catalog, other than what PS5 does for me automatically.

To answer the question at the end, no, I personally don't feel any need for an app like that. Others might, I don't know. I appreciate his enthusiasm for doing something of value for the community, though.

As for his first question -- I suppose you (OP) told him that the reason he can't create threads is that he's still a new member, not a full member yet. Once he gets a certain number of posts (200?) and has been here a certain amount of time (6 months?), he will be granted member status, and he'll be able to create threads. That's my understanding, anyhow.

Last edited:

violence

If a game is getting buzz, I may try it but I prefer to stay in media blackout. Used to do tons of research due to lack of money but now I prefer the game to have the ability to surprise me.

If you want a site to keep track of gaming stuff, I use Backloggd.com which lets you track a variety of things in your game library from your backlog to ratings, to hours played.

I also use Google Sheets. I keep track of games owned, played, hours, my ratings, achievements, etc. I do the same for my Gundam hobby to keep track of kits, supplies and which kits are due for being reworked. I also use Sheets to track movies, TV and anime I've seen or want to see, for those I also use Letterboxd.com

Duchess

I have a text file where I add the name of the game, to play at some point in the future.

Then, a couple of years later, I notice the game on the list, discover it reviewed poorly (or I played a better version of the concept via another game) and remove it :)

TwiztidElf

Notepad.
I have an annual file on my desktop "2024 Games". Been doing this for years.
In there, I have the list sorted by Day1, Watch List, Buy on Cheap.
Inbound usually through announcements and shows.
Outbound to the big list at the bottom sorted by GOTY Contender, Played, didn't get.

Guilty_AI

I just throw everything in my steam/gog wishlist. If not possible, though its rare, i favorite it in my browser.

Last edited:
I pretty much don't. Steam had the best system for this with the wishlist. PS has it now to but I don't know doesn't feel like it's as good.

Alandring

• I order the games I own in a tierlist, and update it at least every year.
  • I wishlist every game I want to buy on plateforms like isthereanydeal, dekudeals and psprices.
  • I list every game I buy and every game I play in a year.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Deku Deals does everything I want it to.

Can add to watch list as soon as a game is announced, see the full sale history, can set custom notifications for sales (you set your own cost threshold for alerts), links to Metacritic for every game (shows you the critic and user score without having to leave the website), description of every game, videos, screenshots, links to all DLCs. You can set which platforms you want to see, and on a case by case basis whether you want to see physical, digital or both.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The wishlist was designed to extract more money from the user.

You're all being played by whichever corporation you subscribe to!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i mean, you can still keep a notepad with the games you want to play or something.
I dont feel like I need one, I usually buy around 10 or maybe 13 games each year. Its not like buying 30 games that I need to remember all them.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have Excel spreadsheets

Games sorted by system
Title | Release Date | Notes (like already preordered, wait for sale, etc...)

I add upcoming movies to this too^^

Also, for upcoming anime
Show Name | Release Date | Streaming Service (crunchyroll, hidive, etc...) | Continue on Episode (to remember which episode I'm on) | Type (series or movie) | Notes

Last edited:

Shwing

Just on this, does anyone have a suggestion for tracking new releases? I would love something like an active Google calendar which auto updates with new releases. Even a decent RSS service would be an option. I have found some places that looked to offer this, but the RSS feed was either broken or hadn't been updated in ages.

Ta!

A.Romero

That's a pretty cool idea. I'd use it to check out new stuff, just thinking about an IMDB-esque site for games makes me curious.

However if it's free, opensource and ad-free how is it supposed to get the resources needed to run? That stuff gets expensive fast.

I just keep an eye out on the few games that interest me these days. I probably buy less than 15 new, physical games and maybe a few super cheap digital titles per year these days and have a huge backlog to explore at my leisure.

Guilty_AI

I dont feel like I need one, I usually buy around 10 or maybe 13 games each year. Its not like buying 30 games that I need to remember all them.
Have you never ran into situations where there are like 3-4 games coming out you want to play but only have time/money for 1? I'd usually keep the others noted down just in case.

T4keD0wN

Posting this thread on behalf of a neo member R randomlock who doesn't have thread creating privileges. The following thoughts are not my own:
Playnite with dozens of extensions does all of that, only a desktop app i think.

It integrates every launcher library (supports even console libraries), logs everything into spreadsheets and graphs, downloads data from opencritic, HLTB and every launcher, generates links, tags, genres, recommendations, sale notifications and the ui looks like whatever you want.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Have you never ran into situations where there are like 3-4 games coming out you want to play but only have time/money for 1? I'd usually keep the others noted down just in case.
Rarely happens but if it does I can remember what game I'm planning to get and not get without need to write it down.....number of games I'm buying each year it not that high.

So far I bought 6 games and I'm getting Stellar Blade, SMT 5 Vengeance and Shadow of the Erdtree expansion.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Notion is great for that sort of thing. I have a seperate play and watch list. You can easily add bookmarks from websites and divide the page into haven't played and played columns.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I keep a Google Sheet updated. On another tab/page I have my games from various stores which helps when something is on sale and I don't remember if I already own it.

near

Gold Member
I dont because 90% of the games I buy are physical copy.
Think more like myanimelist/mydramalist, a database that essentially allows you to track and assign your games to a currently playing, plan to play, and/or completed status. One that holds data for every game, it's publisher, developer, platforms released on etc... you'd be surprised how many people use sites like these. Wishlists on Steam, PSN and Xbox stores do not accommodate for other platforms, they also do not always list upcoming games. Plenty of games have been announced that aren't available to be wishlisted and end up being forgotten about until they're closer to release/pre-order. Not only is it a great resource for tracking, but also for discovery. I took some screen grabs of my mydramalist account to give you some perspective if you don't know what that is:

E1yrmV3.png

SubrlH7.png

3A0ibd7.png

CzEQKAr.png

That's a pretty cool idea. I'd use it to check out new stuff, just thinking about an IMDB-esque site for games makes me curious.

However if it's free, opensource and ad-free how is it supposed to get the resources needed to run? That stuff gets expensive fast.
No idea how much these things cost to run and develop in all honesty. It's R randomlock suggestion so they might have a better outlook on this. But if this was integrated into GAF I'd financially back it and help maintain it, I'm sure others would too. It would also immediately have an active userbase that would engage with it, and could generate more traffic here as a result. Food for thought EviLore EviLore 👀

Protocol7

You will all thank me (or not who knows) later :messenger_winking:
Easy to use/track/plan.

Oh yeah and this is from their roadmap (realising this was one of the main points of R randomlock ) :

Mobile App - Android​

Backloggd gone mobile! This would be a release of an Android version of Backloggd.

Mobile App - iOS​

Backloggd gone mobile! This would be a release of an iOS version of Backloggd.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if you folks even play games, you are so busy acquiring games and tracking what more games you want to acquire.

I just... buy a game then play it? I have a shelf with games and I simply pick one and play it. Then I put it back when I am done.

I guess I use the iOS notes app occasionally to note down a game of interest if I hear about it in passing.

This app sounds like a great idea. Just keep in mind to not just use one source for news like GAF or Reddit, or else your app will start to go down a specific rabbit hole and become political. To add my own little contribution, I subscribe to these youtube channels for keeping up to date:

General/News(not reviews):

• IGN
  • Gamespot
  • Game Informer
  • AJS (monday news)
  • EZA (podcast only)
  • CultOfMush (Steam updates and sales)
  • MrMacRight (Mac/iOS updates and sales)
  • GameZone (Phone game releases and sales)
  • whatoplay (top 10 recommendation category lists)
  • Xbox
  • Valve
  • Playstation
  • Google Play
  • Steam Game Releases
  • TOKYO GAME SHOW

Conferences/Trailers:

• GameTrailers
  • Thegameawards
  • GameSpot Trailers
  • Nintendo of America
  • Future Game Show

Indie conferences/trailers:

• PAX
  • The Triple-i Initiative
  • Media Indie Exchange
  • Wired Productions/Wired Direct
  • That Indie Games Guy
  • Wholesome Games
  • Guerrilla Collective (not sure if this company shut down/was it absorbed into Media Indie Exchange?)

Hardware:

• Taki Udon
  • LinusTechTips(new products and weekly news)
  • Retro Game Corps

Watchlist I use: Steam. You can watchlist for everything(just in case something is missing from one of the console stores)
Game Library tracker I use: GoG Galaxy(You can connect all other services so that you don't buy a game you already own on another platform by mistake)

Also Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives and IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo usually make the best news threads here. Sometimes Draugoth Draugoth too, when he's not posting clickbait/ragebait (nothing against you, just being honest, you kind of algorithm'd the forum man 🤷‍♂️ ).

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Try and track game purchases with excel. So I don't buy duplicates. Only buy physical, so harder to track thatln digital.

Garibaldi

I don't beyond adding things that interest me to the store wishlist page or if it's a video to the watch later/watchlist feature of the application.

Then I watch them, or buy them when the price is right or I feel like it.

Anything else seems to much like another job and, well, no thanks to that. I track enough projects, people etc for about 60 hours a week for work. I ain't doing it for a hobby too.

poodaddy

I don't track shit man.

It's a fuckin hobby, and some of you guys seem to wanna make it a chore. Just play good shit and have fun, don't overcomplicate it.

protonion

-My physical collection is added on pricecharting

-weekly check on latest releases on PS/Switch Store and wishlist anything interesting.

-weekly check on gamefaqs release calendar

-weekly check on limitedgamenews.com for limited physical releases

It doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes per week

Puscifer

I have a "finished" list on steam for games I know I'm not coming back too. Another list for to play and then I just hide (not remove) stuff I'll likely never get too

Raven117

shaddam

Isthereanydeal and psprices.com wishlists, I check the emails and sometime pull the trigger when the price feels right. For news I use neogaf and twitter. I cant stand youtube for tech and gaming news, they speak to much about nothing (The only exeption is Mystic)

This is kind of dumb, but I have so many games to play that I try to limit what I see.
This might sound ridiculous on first read, but as long as you are aware that you limit yourself, it's fine.

The issue happens the minute people here claim 'there's nothing out there to play' while at the same time they are placing the same limiter on themselves. At this point in life there are so many, many video games out there that everyone can make their own fun and live a full life still not being able to enjoy everything they want to.

I recently came to terms with this and had to slow down with my purchasing habits.

Griffon

For games I don't own yet: https://gg.deals/
For games I own but haven't played yet: a simple list on a notepad document.
For everything else, Steam does the job.

Last edited:
Top Bottom