• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home-style cooking with OnkelC, Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
AirBrian said:
Wow, how did I miss this thread...great stuff! I've looked at the first post and didn't see anything too similar, and even though everyone probably knows this, here it goes anyway:

Beer Bratwursts
*snip*
It's so easy, yet so good. You can serve them with sauerkraut if you want too.
Hi AirBrian, welcome to this humble thread and thank you for this WORTHY CONTRIBUTION!
This recipe was new to me (figure that out!), but it makes total sense.
Over here, it is common to grill the sausages as-is, and spray them with some beer immediately before taking them off the grill. The desired effect (add a little caramelization to the crust) is similar.

Grab yourself a badge and wear it with pride.:lol

Concerning the bannage of IAmNude:
I am pleased to see that the other readers disliked his tone too, but a bannage for his posts would be too harsh imho. Since the whole thread is about taste, a friendly dispute is normal and I would even encourage an emotional discussion.

I set high hopes in the self-regulating powers of this thread, which are strong as all of you have proven, thanks again for that.

If somebody wants to comment on certain foods or ingredients, I would advise to give a more thorough explanation of his/her points towards or against a certain preparation or ingredient so the other readers/posters can continue from there.

"This/That sucks" is no base for a cooking discussion and should be exclusive to next-gen graphics discussions. Amen. :lol

Keep'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Hello and welcome to the annual

"Empty-Fridge-And-Freezer-So-The-Wife-Can-Defrost-It" Week!:lol
Edit: With the matching theme song!

http://www.potho.com/sounds/dallidalli-titelmel.mp3

As the wife has a day off next monday and we are visiting the parents-in-law over the weekend, we decided to feed from the contents of our fridge/freezer, so she can defrost it on monday. Be prepared for some unusual, exotic and bizarre food combinations!

We will start today with a helping of "Thüringer Rostbratwürste" (Thuringian sausages) with some fries. I will get some bread rolls, too.

Stay tuned.

bovo

Haven't posted here for a while, but last night decided to scare a worldwide audience with a 'Toad in the Hole'. Unfortunately, my camera batteries died halfway through - more on that later...

A note to non-UK posters: no toads were hurt in the making of this dish (or any animals for that matter as I used vegetarian sausages). It consists of sausages baked in a batter of milk eggs and flour (yorkshire pudding).

A note to UK posters: I make no claims to this being a 'definitive' toad in the hole because I probably am considered to live in the wrong part of the country to make a good Yorkshire Pudding (ie too southern!)

Ingredients: milk eggs and flour for the yorkshire pudding, sausages (I used vegetarian sausages for reasons mentioned in a previous post), and an onion, vegetable stock and a bay leaf to make some onion gravy.

tith1tn9.jpg

First cut up large onion and start cooking very slowly in a pan with a bit of oil/butter.

tith2xr3.jpg

Make up your batter by combining eggs, milk and flour. I made a bit much for the dish I was using - next time I'll probably use two eggs, and about 100g flour, 100ml milk

tith3lc7.jpg

Whisk it together and put to one side.

tith4cj2.jpg

When the onions have been cooking for a while (~30mins maybe) add a bit of flour and a bay leaf (or herbs of your choice) and cook for few more minutes before adding ~300mls of stock and simmering for a while longer. Don't forget to remove your bay leaf before serving!

tith5dz0.jpg

Cook your sausages.

tith6qh6.jpg

Meanwhile put some form of cooking oil in an oven dish and heat it in the oven. At this point, speed and timing become important, so this was the point at which my camera stopped working.

When the oil is hot, remove the dish from the oven, place sausages in dish, and pour the batter over the top (watch out for hot spitting oil!). Put back in the oven for about 40 minutes.

As I missed all of this with the camera, I had to take this shot using the 'still picture' function of a video camera through the glass of the oven (another note, you can't open the oven once the toad in the hole is cooking, as it will collapse on itself)

tith7ep1.jpg

When it's risen, remove from the oven - and it's done.

tith8mw8.jpg

As has been noted, the quality of the still video camera images is dubious, making the pictures appear both washed out and too yellow at the same time.

However, I can report that those who ate the meal (not just me!) enjoyed it, and so it will be cooked again. Better quality pictures will be appended then - onion gravy might actually be visible in those images...

tith9ep5.jpg

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
It looks fine to me, Bud, if you have something more constructive to add please feel free.

I can't believe this is my first contribution to a thread that I have been following with great interest for more than a month :(.

I have to find some time to cook....

I went shopping yesterday for this week's dinners.

I'll be making Chicken Cordon Bleu, Almond-Crusted Halibut, and I'll be trying out ChryZ's Kung Pao Chicken recipe. :)

I might have another dish, but I haven't decided what. Pics of the chicken cordon bleu will be up later tonight.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
put it back up bovo!

I always assumed that toad in the hole was one of those "doesn't look great but is" type dishes.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo:
That looks like a fine dish after a long walk in the cold, great recipe! And I had to lol at the last pictures, they look as vintage as the dish itself. I inherited some cook books from the 50s, the photos in there have the same patina.:lol Please put the "DONE!" pic back up, no need to be ashamed about that! I dare you!:lol

It is good to have you posting here, please go on with your contributions.

Fallofmart and capslock:
Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the thread. Grab a cam and be a part of it!

heavy liquid:
I am so looking forward to your stuff! The dishes I will post for this week will be a bit less artistic.

White Man said:
If Iamnude starts acting like a jerkass again, PM me with a link to the post.

Thanks for that! I will put up a recipe for you if you tell your favored ingredients.

So, the empty the frige and freezer week has started. These are the ingredients that have to be consumed until thursday evening:
smallCIMG1942.jpg

smallCIMG1943.jpg

smallCIMG1940.jpg

This will be an easy task. We will start tonight with sausages and bread rolls.
The Ingredients:
smallCIMG1944.jpg

Thuringian sausages,
some bread rolls,
ketchup and mustard,
some oil for frying (not pictured).

Cooking starts now, pics will be up shortly after.

Stay tuned and keep 'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The Thuringian sausage (Wiki here) is, like Champagne or balsamic acid from Modena, a protected-by-EU-law regional speciality. This sausage is a superb BBQ sausage, but can also be pan-fried. Served with bread rolls or fries, they are a working mans' lunch classic over here, but have been overtaken by the Döner Kebab in terms of pouplarity.

I planned to make some fries to go with them, but the fat in the deep fryer was not optimal anymore, so we resorted to some bread rolls.
Preparation is dead simple. No special utensils are needed, but a cover for the pan like this is helpful:
smallCIMG1949.jpg

Pinch the sausages with a toothpick or a sharp knife (they will pop open anyway, but by pinching them, it will happen in a more controlled state):
smallCIMG1946.jpg

Finish Line (no, really!):

Heat a pan, put some oil in it, add the sausages and fry them from all sides with the cover on. They are done when they are brown and crunchy:
smallCIMG1947.jpg

smallCIMG1948.jpg

smallCIMG1950.jpg

smallCIMG1951.jpg

smallCIMG1954.jpg

DONE!

Serve in a bun with some mustard or "Currywurst style" (cut in thick slices and served with a sauce made from ketchup, curry powder and some paprika):
smallCIMG1957.jpg

smallCIMG1958.jpg

smallCIMG1955.jpg

smallCIMG1959.jpg

Enjoy! from Bonn.

As a small compensation for this delicious but rather bland dish, I made a small bonus video for your viewing pleasure.

It contains the preparation of the previously discussed Indonesian side dish, Kroepoek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcKxxhkamKM

(Upload has just finished, it might take a while until the video is ready for viewing)

Comments and feedback are always fine with me.

Keep'em coming!:lol

That looks great, Onkel. I was in Germany for the World Cup this summer and we lived off of that stuff. Yum.

I'm making a huge batch of carnitas tonight for later in the week, so I'll try and document that if I have time. :)

Valtox

why don't you peel potatoes?
I see skinnny potatoes in almost every recipe.
Just because here is common use to peel :)

AirBrian

OnkelC said:
Hi AirBrian, welcome to this humble thread and thank you for this WORTHY CONTRIBUTION!
This recipe was new to me (figure that out!), but it makes total sense.
Over here, it is common to grill the sausages as-is, and spray them with some beer immediately before taking them off the grill. The desired effect (add a little caramelization to the crust) is similar.

Grab yourself a badge and wear it with pride.:lol
Thanks, OnkelC. Your recipe sounds good too...definitely going to try that. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cornballer said:
That looks great, Onkel. I was in Germany for the World Cup this summer and we lived off of that stuff. Yum.

I'm making a huge batch of carnitas tonight for later in the week, so I'll try and document that if I have time. :)
Thank you for the feedback. One can indeed live from Bratwurst, but it is advised to throw in a Döner from time to time for a more balanced diet:lol
Carnitas sound good, too. Pics are always appreciated!

Valtox said:
why don't you peel potatoes?
I see skinnny potatoes in almost every recipe.
Just because here is common use to peel :)

Hi Valtox, thanks to you too for the feedback, and welcome to this thread.
Actually, it depends on the dish. Potatoes cooked with the peel taste different than the same pre-peeled potatoes.

Peeled potatoes are the preparation of choice when they are served with fish or roast.

Skinny potatoes are good when put in an oven or grill, as the peel prevents them from drying out too much. They also taste great on their own, served cooked with some butter and salt or quark.

Cooking them with the peel does not mean that the peel must be eaten. It is common that an additional empty plate or small bowl is served along with the potatoes so you can put away the peel.

The small young potatoes I posted yesterday have a very thin skin that gets crispy when fried. Especially the skin is considered a real treat on these ones.

I just found this awesome vid of a potato peeling method unbeknownst to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3BV0Awjuo

Valtox

OnkelC said:
Cooking them with the peel does not mean that the peel must be eaten. It is common that an additional empty plate or small bowl is served along with the potatoes so you can put away the peel.

The small young potatoes I posted yesterday have a very thin skin that gets crispy when fried. Especially the skin is considered a real treat on these ones.

I just found this awesome vid of a potato peeling method unbeknownst to me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y3BV0Awjuo

I wanted to add it to the post! I use to peel them that way.. Ok sort of.. Without ice and incision, but after they boil it's very easy to do it.
I will post some italian recipes soon to pwn you all:lol.
Too bad I don't have a camera, it would be easier to explain.
Ah, the real name is "Puttanesca" with 2 t. It means pasta the bitch way;)

Giard

OnkelC said:
So, let's cook.
The Thuringian sausage is, like Champagne or balsamic acid from Modena, a protected-by-EU-law regional speciality.

Is this serious? Does that mean we can't have them in America?

Damn, Onkel... those sausages look tasty! I've never had (or known about) Thuringian sausage before. I'm going to have to see if any markets near me have them (or can get them).

Okay, so tonight I made Chicken Cordon Bleu.

I guess I wanted to make it after having made chicken kiev last week. Their preparation is similar... most recipes have you pound the chicken flat and roll it with the filling, just like the chicken kiev. However, I wanted to do it a little differently and sliced pouches in the chicken breast. This way, all of the filling goodness would be in the center of the chicken breasts.

You'll need (recipe for 2)

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 thick cut slices of ham (I used a good local brand of brown sugar ham)
Some thick cut slices of swiss cheese or any other kind of mild cheese, like mozzarella.
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup cream
1 tbs cornstarch
1 egg
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 cup chicken stock or a bouillon cube

Okay, so first you take your skinless chicken breasts and slice a pouch in them.

bleu01.jpg

Carefully put your ham an cheese in.

bleu02.jpg

Seal shut with string or toothpicks. I used toothpicks, but string might've worked better.

bleu03.jpg

Beat your egg, and have it ready with your breadcrumbs. Carefully coat your chicken with the egg, and then coat with the breadcrumbs.

bleu04.jpg

bleu05.jpg

bleu06.jpg

In a skillet over medium high heat, melt some butter and pan fry your chicken until all the sides are brown.

bleu08.jpg

Add in your chicken stock and wine, reduce to low heat to simmer, and then cover for about 20 minutes. Every 5-10 minutes, check to make sure you still have enough liquid, and to turn them over. Add more wine and stock if needed.

bleu10.jpg

bleu11.jpg

While this was going on, I steamed some broccoli and heated up some leftover sweet potatoes that I had.

bleu07.jpg

When done, remove the chicken from the pan, and add your cream and cornstarch into the liquid in the pan and mix. Then spoon this over your chicken.

Finished!

bleu14.jpg

bleu15.jpg

bleu16.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
@heavy liquid:
looking good! Cordon bleu is always nice on the tongue.
One suggestion, though:
Have you tried to use only one or two toothpicks for sealing the meat by sticking them in parallel to the open spot (like "sewing" the open part with the toothpick by sticking it through the meat several times)?
It is hard to express, but this picture might explain it better:
smallCIMG0926.jpg

It would be easier for the guests to remove the 'picks this way because there are less.
The meat tightens when you fry it and thereby forms a kind of additional seal on its own, so one toothpick used as above in combination with the egg coating will prevent the cheese from leaking, too.

@Giard:
Thank you for the feedback and welcome to the thread. Concerning the Thuringian sausages, only sausages produced in Thuringia and from thuringian ingredients are allowed to bear the name "thuringian sausages", so, like S.L. already stated, they would be have to be imported. The recipe itself, though, is not protected and can be prepared by every butcher. The sausages are called "Sausages thuringian style" or similar in that case.

Keep'em coming!

Hey Onkel, Thanks for the compliments!

Yeah, the toothpicks weren't ideal. I maybe should've explained why I did that. I thought I had some really long toothpicks, but it turned out I only had these with the frilly tops:

toothpick01.jpg

I didn't want to cook with the plastic tops, so I cut them off, which left me with very short toothpicks. So it was basically because I wasn't properly prepared. :lol

One of these days, I'd like to get some of those metal toothpicks/skewers like you have in that picture. They would've come in very handy last night. :)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
heavy liquid said:
Hey Onkel, Thanks for the compliments!

Yeah, the toothpicks weren't ideal. I maybe should've explained why I did that. I thought I had some really long toothpicks, but it turned out I only had these with the frilly tops:

toothpick01.jpg

I didn't want to cook with the plastic tops, so I cut them off, which left me with very short toothpicks. So it was basically because I wasn't properly prepared. :lol

One of these days, I'd like to get some of those metal toothpicks/skewers like you have in that picture. They would've come in very handy last night. :)

:lol
Man, they look scary, like an arrow for a blowgun! But considering the circumstances, you have proven that you are a master of improvisation. That's OK and every cooks' virtue. To make the best of it, you could have called them "Cordon Bleu, Hellraiser style!":lol

As for tonights dish,
"Empty-Fridge-And-Freezer-So-The-Wife-Can-Defrost-It" Week, Part 2!
With matching theme song!

http://www.potho.com/sounds/dallidalli-titelmel.mp3

The wife just called that she has another evening meeting to attend, so I will be cooking for myself. I think I will go for the "Intermezzo" stuff from the freezer (sourdough with industrial topping) and refine them with some of the salami (white wrapper in the above fridge pic) and cheese.

Maybe I'll do something completely different.

Stay tuned.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I dig the Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. We have a similar variation in Spain, but with with pork loin instead of chicken breasts. If you want more taste you can use some finer cheese slices and some jamón serrano instead of baked ham, although in that case I recommend to avoid the bradcrumbs so the flavour is left intact. Also, ignore the cream and maybe the wine (this is up to you)

Funky Papa said:
I dig the Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe. We have a similar variation in Spain, but with with pork loin instead of chicken breasts. If you want more taste you can use some finer cheese slices and some jamón serrano instead of baked ham, although in that case I recommend to avoid the bradcrumbs so the flavour is left intact. Also, ignore the cream and maybe the wine (this is up to you)

Thanks for the tips, and I'm glad you liked it! It would be interesting to try it with pork loin.

There are many different variations of chicken cordon bleu. Some call for wine, and some not. Some have you pan fry it, and some have you bake it in the oven. Other recipes have you coat it in egg and flour, while others not at all. Some call for different cheeses and meats, although the most common is ham & swiss cheese. Jamón serrano sounds like it would be very nice, although I would probably have to use prosciutto which is a little more common here.

I've always had chicken cordon bleu baked in the oven (some with breadcrumbs and some without), so when I saw the recipe with the wine and cream sauce, I wanted to try it since it was a bit different from what I'm used to.

Tonight I'm going to cook ChryZ's Kung Pao Chicken recipe, so I won't have a step-by-step since he's already done it. I'll post a picture of my final result, though.

Let's cook!

Last night I made some carnitas for a trip I'm making this weekend. I'm going up to Lake Shasta with a big group of ten hungry people, so I needed a lot of food. I'll take the carnitas and make tacos out of it. I doubled the recipe listed below, so that's why such a large pot was necessary. For a typical dinner with 4-6 people, the normal recipe should be more than enough.

img2586hz8.jpg

Spices: bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, and ground cloves in the mortar. Kosher salt, crushed red pepper, and oregano in the bowls.

img2587dq3.jpg

Other ingredients: lots of garlic, some orange peel, and diced yellow onions

img2588ni7.jpg

The meat: 8.5 lbs of bone-in pork shoulder. (Yes, that's a lot of pork. :D )

img2589xt3.jpg

After butchering: The good meat is in 1" cubes in the bowl, the scraps of fat are in the bag, and the bone is on the cutting board. It's easier if you just ask your butcher to take the bone out, but since I was using so much I decided to handle it myself.

img2591yq9.jpg

Throw it all in a pot and add water to cover. I used a huge enamalized cast iron dutch oven because I was making so much. Normally, I use my smaller one.

img2592qr4.jpg

Turn the heat up to high and get it to simmer. Then turn the heat down to medium. Let it simmer for about an hour and a half.

img2593va4.jpg

Protip: Use a skimmer to clean the gunk and foam off the top when it's simmering.

img2597pi0.jpg

After an hour and a half of simmering, crank the heat way up and let it boil. Boil off the liquid - this can take about 30-45 minutes. Sometimes if I get impatient I'll just pull a few cups of liquid out with a cup.

img2598gv0.jpg

It's getting close - the liquid level is getting lower and the meat is starting to fall apart. Once all the liquid is gone, fry it on the bottom of the pan for a few minutes, but be careful to not burn it too much. A little browning is nice, though.

img2599hc4.jpg

Finished! Notice how the meat has all broken down.

img2603xy2.jpg

Pack it up into tupperware and put it in the fridge for the weekend. This keeps for a while in the fridge (1-2 weeks) or even longer in the freezer. It reheats very well. I usually just put it in a pan and fry up what I need. (Obviously it's better fresh right after you cook it, but that wasn't an option for me this time around.)

img2604cz1.jpg

Cleanup time. I wonder if my roommate will wash it the Le Creuset if I leave it in the sink long enough....

This weekend, I'll just quickly reheat the carnitas in a pan, and then put it in a corn tortilla with some diced onions, chopped cilantro, and some hot sauce. We'll have beans on the side and some margaritas and beer. Yum! Hope you all enjoyed my first contribution. It's a surprisingly easy recipe - just takes a fair amount of time on the stove. The results are always worth the wait, though. :)

The recipe, courtesy of the San Francisco Chronicle (<-- check the link for the recipe) food section. For a good accompaniment, make the "Glorified Frijoles" recipe that's listed later in that article. Those are great, too!

Tacos de carnitas

Packaged tortillas are fine, but even better are freshly made corn tortillas. Try Latino markets, farmers' markets or some branches of Mollie Stone's.

INGREDIENTS

4 1/2 pounds pork butt
6 cups water
7 strips orange zest
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 onions, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cinnamon sticks, preferably Mexican (see Note)
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano leaves, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt + salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Finely chopped onion
Chopped cilantro
Fresh salsa verde or hot sauce
24 small corn tortillas, warmed

INSTRUCTIONS
Chop thick fat from the outside of the pork butt. Cut the meat into 1-inch cubes. Discard any cubes that are pure fat, but don't try to trim all of the fat out of the meat.

Add the pork with the water, orange rind, garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, bay leaves, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cloves to a large pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Skim any scum that forms on the surface. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours, until very soft, adding more water if necessary to keep the meat submerged.

Season with salt. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until the water has evaporated, about 30 minutes. Cook a little longer to fry the meat slightly. Watch carefully to prevent burning.

Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Place in a fine strainer and push gently with a wooden spoon to remove any excess fat. Discard the fat.

Fold a few tablespoons of carnitas inside each tortilla and top each taco with cilantro, onion and salsa. Serve immediately.

bovo

OnkelC said:
And I had to lol at the last pictures, they look as vintage as the dish itself.

Indeed - here is a picture of us before eating the meal.

abigailspartylg6.jpg

Representation - may not of actually happened.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
bovo said:
Indeed - here is a picture of us before eating the meal.

abigailspartylg6.jpg

Representation - may not of actually happened.
:lol
I read that the yorkshire pudding was traditionally made with the fat from beef kidneys, can you confirm that?
And please put that DONE! pic back up, your recipe is missing something without it.

Cornballer said:
*Carnitas*

Man, that looks good. Thanks again for your efforts. I especially appreciate that you bought the pork shoulder on the bone and boned it yourself.
Cleaning Le Creuset gear can substitute a whole workout!:lol

My contribution for tonight is rather plain. I'll post pics only because the preparation consisted only of putting them thingies in the oven.
smallCIMG1965.jpg

smallCIMG1967.jpg

smallCIMG1968.jpg

smallCIMG1969.jpg

Finish Line:
smallCIMG1972.jpg

DONE!
smallCIMG1974.jpg

"Haute Cuisine!" from Bonn.

Keep yours coming.

Another request to please put the "done" pic back in the Toads in a hole post. I was really wondering what happened to the sauteed onions. I think it looked quite tasty in the pan too.

Im hoping to get to post a recipe in this thread sometime. I haven't had much time too cook lately. I think I have a few days off next week :) My house is being exterminated to I will have to clean out the fridge like Ze Onkle ;)

thanks to everyone so far who has contributed. I really enjoy reading this thread. So much great stuff.

ChryZ said:
Props, awesome home cooking ... well, excluding OnkelCs' current project ;)

:lol Well, at least he tried to spice it up with some extra cheese and pepperoni. This week or next I'm going to make some home-made pizza. I probably won't make my own dough though, since there's a fantastic Italian market near me that sells their pizza dough.

By the way, I'm making your kung pao chicken tonight. The chicken is currently marinating and everything is ready to go. I'll have pics of the final outcome later tonight or maybe tomorrow morning.

The dish turned out excellent. I managed to find some unsalted/unroasted peanuts for the dish, too. The only thing I would change the next time I make it, is I would try to make the sauce a bit thicker, as it was a bit runny. But it was still excellent overall, and hardly changed the taste.

kungpaochicken.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That Kung Pao Chicken looks gooood, heavy liquid. Much better than the stuff I did so far this week.

Concerning the Empty-the-fridge-week, I am not too fond of that project, either, but it is necessary sometimes. I feel better by doing so than just throwing the food away.

And hello and welcome to onion pixy, it is always nice to see a new contributor! I am looking forward to your stuff. Maybe you can post a pic of your fridge/freezer contents, so we can make a guess for the dishes to make from it.

Tonights dish in this humble kitchen will be a plain-jane, too, Chicken breast with "Kräuterbutter" (similar to the chicken kiev butter), fries and peas. Maybe I'll make a dessert from quark and the frozen raspberries to cheer things up a bit.

Stay tuned and keep'em coming!

ChryZ

heavy liquid said:
The dish turned out excellent. I managed to find some unsalted/unroasted peanuts for the dish, too. The only thing I would change the next time I make it, is I would try to make the sauce a bit thicker, as it was a bit runny. But it was still excellent overall, and hardly changed the taste.
I'm glad you liked it, your version looks really good. It's actually a bit tricky to get the thickness of the sauce right. You need to start hot in order to get the thickening effect from the starch, but you have to be careful ... the sauce can burn easily or transform in some kind of gooey mess. Like I mentioned in my howto, start hot, stir well and then lower the heat and let it simmer to the correct thickness ... after adding the veggies and the chicken it's possible to give it a nice stir at high heat for a few seconds to finish it off.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Empty the fridge week, day 3:

Tonights dish is grilled chicken steak with herbal butter and fries. As a dessert, we will have some quark with raspberries.
The ingredients are:
smallCIMG1977.jpg

For the chicken steaks:
chicken breasts,
grilled chicken spice,
herbal butter,
olive oil,
fries (not pictured).

For the dessert:
Quark (can be substituted with natural yoghurt),
raspberries,
sugar,
some milk (not pictured).

Cooking starts right now. Stay tuned.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
I chose some light dishes for tonight, some grilled chicken breasts and a light fruit creme from raspberries and quark as dessert.

Special utensils needed:
A deep fryer, a blender and a contact grill:
smallCIMG2016.jpg

smallCIMG2002.jpg

smallCIMG2013.jpg

As the raspberries were frozen, the preparation of the dessert was first. Add some sugar to the raspberries and let them thaw for about 30-45 minutes. Set some of the razzies aside for the decoration (without added sugar):
smallCIMG1978.jpg

smallCIMG1980.jpg

Next, prepare the meat. The chicken breasts came with the inner parts, I removed them for easier grilling:
smallCIMG1983.jpg

smallCIMG1984.jpg

I marinated the meat in a blend of spices called "Hähnchen-Würzsalz" (grilled chicken spice), which consists of garlic, pepper, red pepper, celery, cumin, chili and cilantro seeds. Olive oil for the marinade gives a mediterranean hint to the meat:
smallCIMG1985.jpg

smallCIMG1986.jpg

smallCIMG1987.jpg

smallCIMG1988.jpg

Cover the meat with the marinade, cover it up and let it marinate at room temperature for the same 30-45 minutes:
smallCIMG1989.jpg

smallCIMG1990.jpg

smallCIMG1992.jpg

smallCIMG1993.jpg

About 20 minutes before dinner, heat up the grill and the deep fryer. Get the blender and have a go at the semi-frozen raspberries. Add some milk to smoothen it up a bit and put it in a mixing bowl when ready:
smallCIMG2004.jpg

smallCIMG2005.jpg

smallCIMG2006.jpg

smallCIMG2007.jpg

add about 500 grams of quark and mix it with the creamed raspberries:
smallCIMG2008.jpg

smallCIMG2010.jpg

smallCIMG2011.jpg

smallCIMG2012.jpg

texture sample of quark as an addition to the discussion earlier this week:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/EmptyTheFridgeWeek/smallCIMG2009.jpg

Finish Line:
Put the chicken breasts in the grill and turn them over a few times:
smallCIMG2015.jpg

smallCIMG2018.jpg

At the same time, start the fries:
smallCIMG2017.jpg

when they are ready, place some paper towels in a bowl, put the fries in it, add some salt and shake a bit to remove excess fat. Remove the towels before serving:
smallCIMG2019.jpg

smallCIMG2020.jpg

smallCIMG2021.jpg

smallCIMG2023.jpg

DONE!
Serve the chicken breasts directly from the grill, add some fries and a slice of herbal butter to the breasts. "herbal butter" ("Kräuterbutter" over here) is similar to teh chicken kiev butter that heavy liquid prepared. Other than his preparation, this variant is prepared with cold butter, which retains more of the "buttery" taste. Herbs used are garlic, chives, basil, parsley and onions, finished off with some salt and a hint of lemon juice.
smallCIMG2024.jpg

smallCIMG2025.jpg

smallCIMG2029.jpg

And for the dessert:
smallCIMG2030.jpg

smallCIMG2031.jpg

Guten Appetit from Bonn.

Comments, critics, feedback and contributions are always welcome.

Giard

Wow, you sure put a lot of herbal butter on the breasts. Is herbal butter not as greasy as normal butter? Or is it just for the taste?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Giard said:
Wow, you sure put a lot of herbal butter on the breasts. Is herbal butter not as greasy as normal butter? Or is it just for the taste?
It is just for the taste and because of the fact that we have so much of that stuff left and I am too cheap/stingy to throw it away.

Mmmm, that herbal butter looks good with the chicken, as does your fruit creme. :) Good stuff!

Tonight I made Baked Ziti.

It's an excellent classic Italian pasta dish that's almost like a lasagna, except with noodles.
Here's what you need:

1 pound dry ziti pasta
1 medium onion chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
2 jars of spaghetti sauce (26 ounce jars)
6 ounces of sliced provolone cheese
1 1/2 cups of sour cream
6 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese
parmesan cheese

First bring a big pot of water to boil. While I was waiting for that to boil, I chopped my onion.

ziti01.jpg

Fry your onion in a bit of olive oil for a few minutes over medium heat.

ziti02.jpg

Add your ground beef, and cook until browned.

ziti03.jpg

Stir in two jars of spaghetti sauce, and simmer everything together for about 15 minutes.

ziti04.jpg

Meanwhile my water was boiling, so I dumped in my ziti. You want to cook it al dente (not completely cooked), only for about 8 minutes.

ziti05.jpg

When done, strain and set aside. Mix in a bit of olive oil to keep your ziti from sticking together.

ziti06.jpg

Take your baking dish (a 9x13 one is a good size. Mine was a tad bit bigger), and coat with a small amount of butter.

ziti07.jpg

Layer half of your ziti in the dish.

ziti08.jpg

Add half of your sauce over the ziti.

ziti09.jpg

Add your provolone slices on top.

ziti10.jpg

Layer your sour cream as evenly as possible over the cheese.

ziti11.jpg

Add the rest of your ziti into the dish.

ziti12.jpg

Put your shredded mozzarella over the ziti.

ziti13.jpg

Add the rest of your sauce over the cheese, and kind of pat and press everything down.

ziti14.jpg

Sprinkle the top with some parmesan cheese and basil.

ziti15.jpg

Now it's ready to go! Put it into a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. When it's done, it should be bubbly and the top should be a little crusty. Take it out and let it reast for 5 or 10 minutes.

Done!

ziti20.jpg

ziti16.jpg

ziti19.jpg

ziti17.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Looking good again!:lol
Thank you for sharing; I used to use sour cream for the Lasagna, too. It accelerates the lasagna preparation a good bit.

I am running out of ideas for tonights dish, so suggestions are welcome.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish, as the finish line to the "Empty the fridge"-Week will be Spaghetti with frozen tomato sauce and fried Mozzarella slices.

Dear OT, please post some random stuff in here, so we can advance to the next page (Only 8 posts left). Does not need to be food or cooking related.
I dare you!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OnkelC said:
Dear OT, please post some random stuff in here, so we can advance to the next page (Only 8 posts left). Does not need to be food or cooking related.
I dare you!

Since the inception of this thread I've been on a "better myself in the kitchen" kick

Last night I doubled the recipe for Rei_Toeis hot chicken and cooked for 3 other people and myself. It was great and they all loved it, cooking for strangers an important step in mastering the kitchen!

Hardest bit about cooking for me - getting shit to finish all at the same time.

I'm also a demon rice cook now.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Well played, Sirs!
catfish, preparation times come with practice, you will get a feeling for the right timing. Keep on cooking.

Pussy Pic for a change:

smallCIMG1939.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom