• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says my Payment has been validated. From this morning it switched over to this. I'm using Silver shipping.

Order Status:: 1 item(s) - Status Not Available.

Has anyone else had this happen to their order?

It says that because the item isn't available yet :)

I just called BB and they said I'll be getting my Wii U either at the end of the day on Saturday or Monday morning.

Torraz

Not getting a wii-u at launch, but I wish everyone who is a lot of fun.

I'll hold back due to wanting to see how the localization of games is going to be. Either that, or if by the console can be region-unlocked-hacked.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Long freakin time coming. All of the speculation can end, at least for a time.....
Yeah. Feels a bit dull not to be able to get the console at launch. I'm very poor and have got just about 10% of the price saved up. Maybe for christmas I can get it, who knows?

I'm eagerly waiting for iFixit or other site to disassemble Wii U so we can know exactly what kind of hardware it incorporates.

sammy

It says my Payment has been validated. From this morning it switched over to this. I'm using Silver shipping.

Order Status:: 1 item(s) - Status Not Available.

Has anyone else had this happen to their order?

That (or something similar) happened to me over a month ago. I had pre-ordered and everything seemed okeydoke, I had no reason to think that the CC hadn't been charged since the transaction looked like it had gone through from the BB site.
Turns out they charged my CC some weeks after I thought everything was settled and my CC blocked the transaction, they called to confirm with me about it but by that time it was too late.

I ended up just ebaying a preorder

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii, Component Video, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.
Question. Does this mean I can use the same Component cable I bought for my Wii on the Wii U? I was wondering if that was a misplaced comma. I ask because my TV only has one HDMI port and that's used up by my Mac mini and I don't really want to buy a switcher since eventually I'll just buy a new TV.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yep, it works. Wish I hadn't sold mine with my Wii.
Thank the dear baby Jebus. I was worried Component was passé or they were going to require a new cable.

Another question, and I'm sure it's been asked, and I'm working my way through the huge OT but will I need to transfer my current data from my Wii via a cable, or can it just redownload all my games itself ala iOS, or can it play my old stuff at all? And how would I go about moving all my saved games? Manually via SD card? Would be nice if it had a Firmware based automatic migration system or something.

C-Drive

Another question, and I'm sure it's been asked, and I'm working my way through the huge OT but will I need to transfer my current data from my Wii via a cable, or can it just redownload all my games itself ala iOS, or can it play my old stuff at all? And how would I go about moving all my saved games? Manually via SD card? Would be nice if it had a Firmware based automatic migration system or something.

Taken from a Polygon article:

The process is somewhat similar to the transfer process between Nintendo's handheld devices, but requires a couple of extra steps. First, users must insert an SD card into the Wii U to initiate the process using the console's Wii System Transfer application. After starting the process, the user must put the same SD card into their Wii, and download another transfer application from the Wii Shop Channel. That app will move data over to the card, which must be put back into the Wii U, at which point the Wii data is moved to the console, and deleted from the card altogether.

Kill yourself

I also have only an SD TV. I have no real reason to upgrade yet. When I do eventually upgrade, it'll probably be a substantial investment, as I'll want one with a taller screen than the CRT I'm currently using.

But until then, if I get a Wii U first, I don't really see it as a huge deal.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Not sure if this has been posted:

Twitter said:
Brian Altano ‏@agentbizzle
Full review coming soon, but Scribblenauts Unlimited is a fucking blast on Wii U. Go buy day one.

IGN reviewer.

Magnus

Been pumped forever about this system. Nintendo and HD are just two words I always wanted to see together; it's enough to fuel this for me, and the fact that I basically only spent about a $150 (and did some trading in during lucrative promotions) to get the deluxe bundle paid off made it totally worth it.

Funny enough, I only actually tried the system out for the very first time today. The big-ass kiosk was set up inside an EB downtown. The only playable demo seemed to be Rayman Legends. Totally gorgeous. Had some fun some stuff going on with the touch-screen gameplay. It's definitely a little disorienting at first, learning to look back and forth. It's definitely like playing a very big DS in many ways.

I was relatively enthralled. I'm pumped. SUNDAY!

Brannon

My hope is that I get to Target really early, get in there when the store opens and nonchalantly ask for a Wii U.

This will totally work.

Nicktals

Banned
So my wife is going to try to pick this up from walmart layaway in a couple hours. I'm stuck at work but was told that they only received enough wii u's to cover people who preordered but that they had received them. I said "so I will be able to come pick it up on the 18th?" And was told "you can come pick it uptoday!" Worth a shot.

If anyone is interested in numbers, at my Walmart in a tourist Ohio town we only had 4 o r 5 preorders, and we received those and 42 more deluxe and only 10 regular. WE Also only got 3 black pro controllers and 0 whites. Game wise i can say we didn't get enough Mario or Nintendoland to cover them all, about 10 zombie u , one ninja gaiden, and maybe 6 or so if the other titles. Haven't seen bo2 our a couple others yet.terrible spelling courtesy of my phone.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I can't reveal the name, but a branded "next gen" game that some people thought couldn't run on Wii U seems to be in development for the system :p

Even if downscaling the engine may be employed, it shouldn't be to a point the developers behind wouldn't recognize what they envisioned for their game visually.

So it's a really promising news about the viability, the future proof aspect, of the system (along with other data we got like Shin'en comments on their NotEnoughShaders interview).

HYPE BEFORE LAUNCH GUYS ! :D

boxter432

I can't reveal the name, but a branded "next gen" game that some people thought couldn't run on Wii U seems to be in development for the system :p

Even if downscaling the engine may be employed, it shouldn't be to a point the developers behind wouldn't recognize what they envisioned for their game visually.

So it's a really promising news about the viability, the future proof aspect, of the system (along with other data we got like Shin'en comments on their NotEnoughShaders interview).

hypppeee

watch dogs? that game has to come to Wii U. gamepad is so perfect for it and Ubi loves Wii U

Watch Dogs?

I'm okay with that

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I also have only an SD TV. I have no real reason to upgrade yet. When I do eventually upgrade, it'll probably be a substantial investment, as I'll want one with a taller screen than the CRT I'm currently using.

But until then, if I get a Wii U first, I don't really see it as a huge deal.

I bought the Xbox 360 with the same mentality. Needless to say after a day or two I scrounged up all of my money and bought a cheap 19 inch hdtv (after playing game demos with scrounged black bars or hard to read text). Don't regret it, it really makes a difference, that first jump to High Definition is totally worth it. Of course now i'm rocking a 46 inch. I would definitely consider getting a cheap hdtv, it really makes a difference.

AzaK

No one has access to the Nintendo Network yet. I just asked RichIGN if he had access to Miiverse and he said no.

What is Nintendo hiding? I'm kinda worried this thing is not ready or they have something they don't want the press to report on the eShop.

Would be nice if they had a little surprise up there but I think this is damn strange

That's just mental.

For those planning to use the Gamepad in bed, have you used tablets or portable gaming systems in bed? In particular I'm curious about the long term weight strain after playing for more than a few minutes.

Reference weights:

Wavebird: 210 grams / 0.46 pounds
PSP/Vita: 280 grams / 0.62 pounds
3DS XL: 336 grams / 0.74 pounds
Kindle Fire: 413 grams / 0.91 pounds
Wii U Gamepad: 500 grams / 1.1 pounds
Xbox Controller: 544 grams / 1.2 pounds
iPad 2: 601 grams / 1.3 pounds
3rd iPad: 650 grams / 1.4 pounds
iPad: 680 grams / 1.5 pounds

While weight matters, bed gaming for me is more affected by size than weight. The 3DS is too small for me to whole while lying down. I can hold my iPad OK, albeit it's a bit heavy. In the end I'll probably sit up and game in bed if I need to.

Hey Ideaman, just wanted to say yes you can tell us the name, it's OK, we won't spread it.
It's gotta be Le Dog du Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom