• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much how I feel too, but I did get Black OPS 2. Everything else I need to see more before making any other purchase decisions. Besides that Black OPS 2, NintendoLand and NSMBU will last me a long time. No rush to get any other games.

On page 70 there is a list of games that are developed by their original dev team for the Wii U port and a list of games that outsourced their Wii U development. I would trust the originals list and ignore the outsourced list......I saw some of those Batman screens and they look terrible. The outsourced ones are going to be hatchet jobs...

"Original Developers
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Treyarch)
Darksiders II (Vigil Games)
FIFA Soccer 13 (EA Canada)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft Paris)
Madden NFL 13 (EA Tiburon)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Team Ninja)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Sumo Digital)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (Namco)
Transformers Prime: The Game (Now Production)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (Omega Force)

Outsourced Developers
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft Quebec)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (WB Games Montreal)
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Heavy Iron Studios)
Mass Effect III: Special Edition (Straight Right)
Skylanders: Giants (Vicarious Visions) "

Learning new hardware is hard enough. Learning new code AND learning new hardware? The outsourced games are going to look worse than the original list I bet.

BY2K

Membero Americo
And it's not like I can be refunded and try to get one somewhere else. Gamestop doesn't do that, they'll just give me back the value of what I paid in store credits.

And I STILL have to get there tomorrow to get my games.

So, I get back from a crappy day of week-end work, to my father saying Gamestop called to say they won't have enough Wii U for every pre-orders, including mine.

I pre-ordered on the 16th, 3 days after the pre-orders opened, it's paid in full, I was below 20th on the list (somewhere between 10th and 15th, counting both Basic and Deluxe.

I'm fucking boiling right now.

Your local store is full of a bunch of idiots. Not your fault, but the corporate office told us that any reserves done after around 5pm the next day (after pre-orders started getting taken) wouldn't be fulfilled and they were told to stop taking preorders. We even got a phone call at the store from our corporate headquarters warning that (along with like 4 emails).

Sorry your gamestop didn't follow directions set forth by our corporate office. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the employees don't just grab them even if they didn't pre-order it.

And it's not like I can be refunded and try to get one somewhere else. Gamestop doesn't do that, they'll just give me back the value of what I paid in store credits.

Did you pay in cash? They should give you your cash back. They won't refund store credit from trades though.

Linkhero1

As far as I know they have to give you your money back. Who told you they give it back in credit unless you traded in games and/or used a giftcard.

BlankaBR

Banned
Explain to me how a fucking Gamestop doesn't even get 20 freaking Wii U.

What the fuck happened in the production lines!?
Man if I were you I would demand some sort of compensation, you preorder 3 days before and they tell u no console available tomorrow?? Take your money back and go to the closest best buy for a midnight launch

CTE

They have to give you your money back in whatever form you paid (eg. Credit Card, Debit, Cash).

Edit- Yeah. If you traded in games for credit towards the WiiU then you won't get anything back. Forgot about the trade in aspect.

Giant Bomb sounds kind of cynical and down on the system since it was announced. I like them, but don't know how much I'll watch of them cover it.

To be honest, they seem cynical and down on whatever I'm also cynical and down on, for example handheld consoles, Wii U and whatever. I guess that's why I'm sympathising with them quite often. Either way, it's interesting with a new console launch since it's been a few years since the last one.

zroid

Banned

Ugh :(

I won't ever pre-order from GameStop for this reason. At least other stores give you a refund.

Erethian

Giant Bomb sounds kind of cynical and down on the system since it was announced. I like them, but don't know how much I'll watch of them cover it.

Brad is the one who has been spending the most time with the system and he seems to like it, so I wouldn't say they're all down on it.

Explain to me how a fucking Gamestop doesn't even get 20 freaking Wii U.

What the fuck happened in the production lines!?
I TOLD YOU BRO, YOU BETTER PRE-ORDER OR YOU AIN'T GETTIN' ONE. I WARNED YOU, BRO.

Now how about a subscription to Game Informer? Are you interested in our Power-Up Rewards Card?

CTE

There's 86$ that was trade-in stuff. (OG 3DS and Code of Princess.)

You should get the difference back then. It is an unfulfilled transaction. They can't hold your money hostage. You should get the 86 on a giftcard and get the rest back in your bank account.

Linkhero1

I remember being told between 10th and 15th on the list, and that includes both Basic and Deluxe bundles.

Hopefully you get one then. There's just no way that they could fuck up their distribution. Then again, this is Gamestop we're talking about.

kunonabi

On page 70 there is a list of games that are developed by their original dev team for the Wii U port and a list of games that outsourced their Wii U development. I would trust the originals list and ignore the outsourced list......I saw some of those Batman screens and they look terrible. The outsourced ones are going to be hatchet jobs...

"Original Developers
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Treyarch)
Darksiders II (Vigil Games)
FIFA Soccer 13 (EA Canada)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft Paris)
Madden NFL 13 (EA Tiburon)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Team Ninja)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (Sumo Digital)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Namco)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition (Namco)
Transformers Prime: The Game (Now Production)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (Omega Force)

Outsourced Developers
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft Quebec)
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (WB Games Montreal)
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Heavy Iron Studios)
Mass Effect III: Special Edition (Straight Right)
Skylanders: Giants (Vicarious Visions) "

Learning new hardware is hard enough. Learning new code AND learning new hardware? The outsourced games are going to look worse than the original list I bet.

I just hope Batman turns out well. What kind of reputation does WB Games Montreal have?

Juice

You know why GameStop get anemic hardware shipments? It's because the hardware makers can't stand GameStop's emphasis on pre-owned games. Of course they'll favor other stores, everything else being equal.

I'm not really seeing the crowds or excitement this time as I did for previous systems. I don't know if it's because of the economy or because Wii U isn't exciting people the same way the Wii/360/ps3 did. I miss the crowds, riots, hype, etc.

led4lyfe

My Target can't even tell me how many they'll have in stock. When I asked how many preorders they had, the person said "hmmm 16??".

Kmart said they got 2 in, first come first serve.

Sears said they haven't received any shipment yet.

FYE said "we'll be selling whatever we have to the people who had preorders for a while"

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm not really seeing the crowds or excitement this time as I did for previous systems. I don't know if it's because of the economy or because Wii U isn't exciting people the same way the Wii/360/ps3 did. I miss the crowds, riots, hype, etc.
It may be the fact the preorders are confirmed even at retail stores. Call around.

This Walmart I'm at will sell out with 4 ppl in line.

It's because the only "leap forward" Wii U presents in comparison to the earlier generation is a blend between physical and touch screen controls in synergy with a secondary minigame/inventory screen.

I definitely don't.

But it's a tad worrisome nonetheless

If they sell out of their systems, it won't matter if there are a bunch of people waiting in line or not. If launch stock is plentiful in stores around Christmas, you can begin to panic. I don't see that happening. I have already read many reports that state preorder volume for Wii U exceeds Wii. All that means is that most people learned their lesson from the 2006 debacle and pre-ordered this time around.

If anything it means the non-gamers have moved onto to tablets and cell phones. Good riddance. I knew a lot of people who waited in line in 2006 for the Wii were simply scalpers, wanting to make a quick buck. The less of those assholes we have this cycle, the better.

HylianTom

Banned
There's a part of me that misses the lining-up, but for the most part I'm happy with how this year unfolded.

The main thing I didn't like about how this launch period went? The part of preordering where GameStop didn't give any sort of heads-up advance announcement whatsoever ("Hey - preorders start on XX/YY/ZZ - be there!") Instead, I had to find out haphazardly online, panic, and abandon work to get there in time. That was a bit assy of them.

And thanks for the link to the stream. I'm hoping for something other than NL tonight when this update is finally over..

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So "if" someone gets homebrew working, would it be possible to have a "dolphin" type emulator to run Wii games in HD?

I'm pretty sure that will never happen because it's not possible. I'm no expert though. It takes more power than Wii U has to do it with any sort of reliability, I think.

There's a part of me that misses the lining-up, but for the most part I'm happy with how this year unfolded.

The main thing I didn't like about how this launch period went? The part of preordering where GameStop didn't give any sort of heads-up advance announcement whatsoever ("Hey - preorders start on XX/YY/ZZ - be there!") Instead, I had to find out haphazardly online, panic, and abandon work to get there in time. That was a bit assy of them.

And thanks for the link to the stream. I'm hoping for something other than NL tonight when this update is finally over..

I imagine that having the street date and pricing announced so close to launch was part of the problem. Usually we have a much longer hype period.

At this point for the Wii I had already been in line for like 15 hours in the cold outside in Michigan. I do miss that part of this launch but walking a block tomorrow morning and just grabbing my console will be nice.

HylianTom

Banned
I imagine that having the street date and pricing announced so close to launch was part of the problem. Usually we have a much longer hype period.

Even back in 2006, the price & date announcement came out in roughly the same week of September, with pre-ordering dates announced shortly thereafter. Pre-ordering didn't happen at GameStop until the 13th of October - with plenty of lead warning to those who wanted to make arrangements for that day.

GameStop jumped the gun this year. :/

At this point for the Wii I had already been in line for like 15 hours in the cold outside in Michigan. I do miss that part of this launch but walking a block tomorrow morning and just grabbing my console will be nice.

I think there is a psychological thing going on where the more effort you put towards the system, the more you enjoy it.

antonz

I think online retailing has evolved a ton since 2006 as well.

That and box retailers not wanting to deal with 300 people in a line. Heck there are grocery stores in the US that actually did preorders this time around. Retail probably likes this much better as its also safer for the customers.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
yeah I notice the only places doing midnight release around here are the 24/7 walmarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom