• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Sounds sexy, I'm in for December 13.

Rootbeer

Banned
Wow... very, very interesting... I never thought I'd see something like this on the eShop. Really pleased with the quick turn around on the english release. I will be buying this.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the amount of gameplay that is included. A lot of these cheaper games trade content in favor of looking really pretty.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only game I was really interested in is the only one that seems to have missed localization.

Of course I love non FF Matsuno games and pen and paper rpgs so I'll definitely give this one a shot but there's something about store simulators that get me going.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Bebpo has been telling me some pretty negative things about the game. I'm still excited to try it myself though, since it's Matsuno, but apparently it's really low budget, designed to be rather repetitive and grindy because of the small nature of the game, and longer than the content warrants.

I dunno though, maybe he should come in and give us more detailed impressions if he has time this weekend!

Its more like a choose your own adventure book that has dice rolls and a horrible battle system thrown in that uses those nice looking character models that are made like figures from a board game. Its pretty text heavy and personally was not all that interesting unless you are into that sort of game.

Alex

3DS eShop is beastly.

Well, to be fair, it's a mix of beastly and emptiness.

But the good is SOOO good.

The 3DS eShop, or the Push/Crashmo delivery service as I like to call it, has got to be the very last download service I would ever use the world beastly for.

vareon

Its more like a choose your own adventure book that has dice rolls and a horrible battle system thrown in that uses those nice looking character models that are made like figures from a board game. Its pretty text heavy and personally was not all that interesting unless you are into that sort of game.

So, branching stories?

I expected this to be a glorified game book with dice rolls and all.

Lucent

fv4NV5k-0ADEDtIeJqiKiPVNf6aPaLWu.jpg

Girl of sixteen or seventeen.

Can't make up mind.

Not sure.

Anyway keep reading.

The only game I was really interested in is the only one that seems to have missed localization.

Of course I love non FF Matsuno games and pen and paper rpgs so I'll definitely give this one a shot but there's something about store simulators that get me going.

"We’re still wholeheartedly considering how to or whether or not we can make that title work at the moment. The game is actually extremely text-heavy, and it functions on the expressive power of its text and language. Hirai-san, the creator, is a famous comedian in Japan, and the game is deeply rooted in his talent for expressing Japanese culture through language. We need to consider the high pedigree of translation required, and the time and money needed to do that with this amount of text may surprise you. Another factor we need to consider is whether or not a large enough audience outside of Japan would appreciate a game that relies so heavily on knowledge of Japanese culture."

Bebpo

Banned
Game pros/cons:

Pros:
+Excellent Matsuno writing you've grown to expect. Very good characters with intelligent dialogue, story that keeps your interest.
+Story presentation. Has a neat take on the visual novel genre.
+Good music
+Battle system is solid. Has creative new ideas that you'd expect from Matsuno gameplay.
+Good challenge (maybe too hard forcing grinding for specific drops necessary to beat certain bosses though)

Cons:
-One of the slowest rpgs ever made. A random battle takes 5-10 mins. A boss battle takes 10-20 mins. Every action you take once a battle has started is like you're playing an rpg in slow-motion. It really feels like this is not purposeful either, but rather that Matsuno was paired with incompetent programmers who couldn't get the game to run full speed.
-Game is all equipment based. No levels/no stats. At times you gotta grind for specific drops to get an attack or spell you need. This would be ok if every random battle wasn't easy and still took 10 mins only to find you didn't get the drop and need to try over and over again for an hour+ until you get it.
-Just incredibly slow and tedious, which when combined with high difficulty level means only the most patient rpg players will make it to the end. You have to put in A LOT of effort and your own time if you want to see this very short story play out. Which is a shame because it's a well written neat story. It's just in a pretty shoddy game, which may be due to bad programming and not necessarily bad design.

Dunan

Who's the translator? Did someone confirm that is was or wasn't Alexander O. Smith?

Because the other two members of the Golden Matsuno Game Triumvirate (composer Sakimoto, and Matsuno himself) are involved. All three would make me consider buying a DS to play this.

Matsuno

Who's the translator? Did someone confirm that is was or wasn't Alexander O. Smith?

Because the other two members of the Golden Matsuno Game Triumvirate (composer Sakimoto, and Matsuno himself) are involved. All three would make me consider buying a DS to play this.

Also Kyoko Kitahara is involved, she is in the Crimson Shroud credits. Alexander O. Smith in the Japan credits is credited with special thanks.
The developer is Nex Entertainment.

The 3DS eShop, or the Push/Crashmo delivery service as I like to call it, has got to be the very last download service I would ever use the world beastly for.

There's more than just the 'Mo series. And I say that as a massive fan of the 'mo games.

Boerseun

Banned
Yes, finally some decent information! It feels like I've been waiting ages to see something concrete. I'm definitely buying it! If only to find out if the girl is sixteen or seventeen.

Game pros/cons:

Pros:
+Excellent Matsuno writing you've grown to expect. Very good characters with intelligent dialogue, story that keeps your interest.
+Good music
+Battle system is solid. Has creative new ideas that you'd expect from Matsuno gameplay.
+Good challenge (maybe too hard forcing grinding for specific drops necessary to beat certain bosses though)

Cons:
-One of the slowest rpgs ever made. A random battle takes 5-10 mins. A boss battle takes 10-20 mins. Every action you take once a battle has started is like you're playing an rpg in slow-motion. It really feels like this is not purposeful either, but rather that Matsuno was paired with incompetent programmers who couldn't get the game to run full speed.
-Game is all equipment based. No levels/no stats. At times you gotta grind for specific drops to get an attack or spell you need. This would be ok if every random battle wasn't easy and still took 10 mins only to find you didn't get the drop and need to try over and over again for an hour+ until you get it.
-Just incredibly slow and tedious, which when combined with high difficulty level means only the most patient rpg players will make it to the end. You have to put in A LOT of effort and your own time if you want to see this very short story play out. Which is a shame because it's a well written neat story. It's just in a pretty shoddy game, which may be due to bad programming and not necessarily bad design.

Um...this is tearing me apart, bebpo!!

What are the chances the game got some speed adjustments? :(

I guess I'll buy it anyway...I mean...it's matsuno game, how many years will need to wait for another one?.

Yuterald

Omg...finally a release date and price. This is bought SO HARD when it comes out! Matsuno games need to be applied straight to my veins as soon as they are released. This is one of my most wanted games, at the moment. Can't wait! =D

luca1980

Banned
In Matsuno I trust.
Table jrpg...well not so much..,
I will get it.
Yet I hope Matsuno finds a better luck publisher (From software please)

Goli

I'm not sure if this is an already known fact or not but people who are being put off from impressions from the version included in the retail release might not wanna get their hopes down yet since apparently the downloadable version which was released a few days ago in Japan includes new items and balance adjustments: http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/12/01/61839.html?1354404601
Also this version apparently already has an English language option built-in, I guess this means the English version will be the same and you'll be able to play in Japanese? Hopefully: http://www.inside-games.jp/article/img/2012/12/01/61839/327501.html)

Celine

Game pros/cons:

Pros:
+Good music

Cons:
This is worrisome.

Will buy regardless but I hope the battles are faster in the eshop version (a man can always dream).

duckroll

I'm not sure if this is an already known fact or not but people who are being put off from impressions from the version included in the retail release might not wanna get their hopes down yet since apparently the downloadable version which was released a few days ago in Japan includes new items and balance adjustments: http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/12/01/61839.html?1354404601
Also this version apparently already has an English language option built-in, I guess this means the English version will be the same and you'll be able to play in Japanese? Hopefully: http://www.inside-games.jp/article/img/2012/12/01/61839/327501.html)

Interesting, this is kinda unexpected, but this also explains why Matsuno only left Level5 after the completion of the English version of the game. Hopefully these new items and balance changes improves the game, and corrects some of the slow-paced and grindy nature mentioned by impressions of the Japanese game. Fingers crossed!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Re: Bebs' criticisms of slow gameplay

It sounds like it's only a product of slow pace, but technical issues, am I understanding this correctly? (specifically the part about "bad programmers")

Ah, so there is still hope. Crossing my fingers as well.

Yuterald

Whoa! I hope this is true for the NA version too! I'm even more excited right now. I don't think I've had a game in awhile where I have felt legitimately excited for. That Sakimoto-Matsuno collaboration is too much for me to handle. No poor/questionable impressions can sour my excitement!

jackal27

Banned
I REALLY love the art style of this game with the little figurines and what not. I can't wait to pick it up. I wish that it had a way to have multiplayer table-top roleplaying sessions though. That would be amazing. Design your own stories, maps, monsters, and stuff.

Chairhome

fv4NV5k-0ADEDtIeJqiKiPVNf6aPaLWu.jpg

Girl of sixteen or seventeen.

Can't make up mind.

Not sure.

Anyway keep reading.
Not defending the translation, but the point of that sentence is that the narrator (presumably a character in the game) cannot discern her age just from looking.

Kazerei

Banned
-One of the slowest rpgs ever made. A random battle takes 5-10 mins. A boss battle takes 10-20 mins.

Please tell me this is an exaggeration D:

Roughly how long is the game, by the way? I'm a sucker for a good story. I might be able to sit through the battles if the story is compelling enough.

Yuterald

Hey Bebpo, I got a question for you since you seem to be the resident importer/Japanese game player here. This is probably my most wanted game, at the moment. I'll be buying this game regardless of how disappointing/negative the impressions have been. Matsuno & Sakimoto collaborations don't come too often down our end of the road so I'll take what I can get.

With THAT said, how is the sound design in this game? One of my FAVORITE aspects of Vagrant Story was its sound effects. The enemy growls and monster death screams are my absolute favorite, in any game. My brother and I often talk about/bring up enemy death cries. The Dark Crusaders in Vagrant Story...doesn't get any better than that, it's like music to my ears, lol! So, are those little goblin dudes in Crimson Shroud making cool sounds when they perish? What about that classic Minotaur we've been seeing in shots (who looks straight jacked from VS)? Please, bring me good news! =D

2San

If there's something I don't have it's patience with games. The Bepo's impressions scared me quite. So I hope these changes, speeds up the battles quite a bit or makes it less grindy.
Ah doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy tbh. Might I'll just buy it, to play it for whenever I'll travel(I'm more easily satisfied when I'm on the go).

Top Bottom