• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Crimson Shroud - Where is the sequel?

Unicorn

So, per a few suggestions in the eShop sale thread, I picked up Crimson Shroud on 3DS for $4 (I just so happened to have about that much in credit collecting dust).

latest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_dXioN8Ovo

Basically, it's a light, light version of a tabletop RPG like Dungeons & Dragons. Great presentation of characters as tabletop miniatures and you a tactile dice-rolling mechanic for initiative, success rates, bonus damage rolls, and accuracy. It is pretty linear with very brief moments of dungeon crawling exploration to find the next triggering event and the HowLongToBeat website clocks it at around 7 hours to complete.

The story is heavily applied and characters try to resonate, but the one female character is so sexualized I'm having a hard time taking anything seriously. What excites me most about this game is the potential a sequel could provide. This came out in 2012 by Level 5 studios, but there has yet to be a follow up entry to really blow out the tabletop RPG idea. An Etrian Odyssey take on this game would be amazing.Even just making a choose your own adventure with a handful of paths would provide lots of opportunity for players to explore and replay with different outcomes. A larger mix-and-match cast of characters could also increase replayability and party composition strategies.

For $4, you really can't go wrong for a rather quick tabletop experience that feels like a successful experiment at a rarely explored genre in electronic gaming. The miniature and tabletop aesthetic works so well as 3D-enabled dioramas. If not a direct sequel, I wish some studio would take this idea and really run with it. It feels so good to roll virtual dice and have events transpire that feel like encounters ripped from an actual D&D campaign.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It's a fantastic game and it's sad not seeing it given more success through other digital services like STEAM for exclusive reasons. Could be an hit imho

Celine

One of the best 3DS games (OP don't miss Attack of the friday monsters!).
Fantastic OST and very well written:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL538D64618D929D4D

Of course it's a small game since it was created to be included in the Level 5 budget compilation but it's really a must for those who love role playing and Matsuno fans.
The main flaw is that equipment stats aren't easy to compare with each others so it's more cumbersome than it should.
Also it's a bit obtuse in a few spots.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A lovely game and one of the jewels on my 3DS. It recalls back the same hallmarks of a Vagrant Story on a lighter tone. A lot of that favoritism is genuinely owed to its dialogue, but it's a distinctively enjoyable experience.

Presumably it didn't make much money, and Matsuno has left Level 5. It's a fun game and the design is novel, but it's pretty niche. Can't see anyone else iterating on it.

syncyes

it was a really great game except for that multi-hour grinding stretch to get that one rng-ed quest item >_>

duckroll

I never quite understood why this didn't become more of a thing. The format seemed ideal for Matsuno or even other creators to come up with bite sized campaign scenarios with the same ruleset and interface. Would have made a great series and they could have released it on phones and tablets too. What a waste.

PantsuJo

Absolutely awesome. I bought a 3DS specifically for this game and I will preserve my 3DS in the next years only for this game.

Matsumoto, my boy, please make a sequel

PantsuJo

It's a 3DS exclusive.
A group of 3DS games arrived on Steam in these months (Gunvolt, Conception, Code of Princess the ones I remember now) so I still hope for a future release of Crimson Shroud on Steam, one day.

(Or on mobile, it would be perfect as well, thanks to the gameplay formula)

A group of 3DS games arrived on Steam in these months (Gunvolt, Conception, Code of Princess the ones I remember now) so I still hope for a future release of Crimson Shroud on Steam, one day.

I wouldn't bet on it. Level 5 dosn't seem interested on Steam at all. Being one of the few japanese companies left, totally giving his back to the PC audience.

Given it's nature Crimson Shroud could do well there, or well any digital platform that isn't the 3DS.

duckroll

Unfortunately Level 5 already tried releasing a Guild01 game on mobile - Liberation Maiden. It must not have been successful for them because they never continued releasing the others on mobile and it has been years. They are probably not interested in investing any further into these titles since Level5 is always busy chasing the new hot trend instead.

Top Bottom