• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

Ahh this is frustrating, I can't get locked 60fps everywhere without sacrificing too much quality :/ Near a shoreline and in the jungle I get about 48-60fps though as soon as I move near a building and people etc or look from the outside into the jungle I only get 40-50...

I guess the Geometry setting is at fault here?

Yep. I set it to Very High and won a lot of frames in towns. I had a comparison of that setting a few pages back, in case you want to see if the performance gain justifies the decrease in graphics.

Sethos should put together a guide for his SLI setup.

KyleN should put one up for his single card set up.

Ubisoft should optimize a bit better.

haikira

"<quality GameDepthOfField="0"
DepthDownsample="1"
CinematicDepthOfField="0"
FXAALevel="0"
CloudShadows="1"
MotionBlur="0"
id="medium" />"

Sethos. Looking to try this out myself. Just two things. Are you using DX9 or 11 and does section i quoted go in the area between <CustomQuality> and </CustomQuality>?

Cheers.

EDIT: Actually, i'm all good.

teokrazia

JackEtc

Do you guys think my Retina Macbook Pro could run this (in Windows)?

xpom1.png

PC version looks like the version to get, but all I have at college is this. Really want it, but just wanna be sure it would run. Thoughts?

Jibbed

xpom1.png

PC version looks like the version to get, but all I have at college is this. Really want it, but just wanna be sure it would run. Thoughts?

There's no way you could run it at native resolution.

I'd say with medium-high settings at 1280x720 you'd get close to 60fps. Definitely more than 30 anyway.

xpom1.png

Resolution is way too much for that card. Retina is all awesome and stuff, but on phones and tablets. On PCs it's too much resolution and too little horsepower.

What I'd suggest is... If there's video out on that Macbook... Play the game at 1080p or 720p on your television if you're at home. If you're not... Then I don't know. Anything not native resolution would look pretty awful I think. 720p windowed would look too small on such a high res display. 720p stretched would look awful.

It'll definitely run. My biggest suggestion would be: search on youtube for people playing the game on their Macbooks and see how it's running for them.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPS5NR72h_0 Running at 720p, DX11, Max settings except Shados, Geometry and PostFX. Very doable at 720p then for you.

JackEtc

There's no way you could run it at native resolution.

I'd say with medium-high settings at 1280x720 you'd get close to 60fps. Definitely more than 30 anyway.

Resolution is way too much for that card. Retina is all awesome and stuff, but on phones and tablets. On PCs it's too much resolution and too little horsepower.

What I'd suggest is... If there's video out on that Macbook... Play the game at 1080p or 720p on your television if you're at home. If you're not... Then I don't know. Anything not native resolution would look pretty awful I think. 720p windowed would look too small on such a high res display. 720p stretched would look awful.

It'll definitely run. My biggest suggestion would be: search on youtube for people playing the game on their Macbooks and see how it's running for them.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPS5NR72h_0 Running at 720p, DX11, Max settings except Shados, Geometry and PostFX. Very doable at 720p then for you.

Awesome, thanks. It's run pretty much I've thrown at it, so I was pretty confident it would, but it's always good to get reassurance from others.

Also, I never run anything natively, usually at 1680x1050. I may run it out to a 720p TV with a controller if that would run better.

Himajin

Just FYI for other Eyefinity people out there, with my i5 750@3.7 and overclocked 7950, I'm getting about 30-40 fps average at 5760 x 1200 using the following settings:
DX9
2xMSAA
Most quality settings on High, except Terrain and Textures at V. High, and post FX at Medium.

I have a higher tolerance for low frame rates than many, but this is playable for me. I was getting about the same performance with everything cranked up to max single screen, but I'd rather sacrifice some image quality for extra peripheral vision and immersion.

Where's this at? My game's been stuttering and I'd like to try this.

Here's how my GamerProfile.xml file looks.

imvUfcsMV83WD.jpg

I'm also using D3DOverrider on top of this.

Edit: Also, anyone who is daring to use DX11 and MSAA, does the weird pixelated phasing in of higher quality objects occur while using MSAA? I remember Just Cause 2 would have this harsh pixelated dithering as you got closer to trees that only went away if you used 4xMSAA.

Trying out SGSSAA

That looks clean! Info on how to do that? And your specs?

Here's how my GamerProfile.xml file looks.

imvUfcsMV83WD.jpg

I'm also using D3DOverrider on top of this.

Edit: Also, anyone who is daring to use DX11 and MSAA, does the weird pixelated phasing in of higher quality objects occur while using MSAA? I remember Just Cause 2 would have this harsh pixelated dithering as you got closer to trees that only went away if you used 4xMSAA.

Thanks.

JRW

Anyone trying this with a GTX 480 and i7 930? I can run Hitman at 60 fps on high with msaa turned off.

I'm running FC3 on a GTX 480 (770 / 1900 clock speeds) and an i7 920 @ 3.36ghz, Runs mostly 60fps with these settings.

Using D3DOverider to force triple buffering really helped with Vsync stability, so even when the fps does drop it's not as intrusive ,lowest Ive seen it go so far is 46fps.

Also adding MaxFPS="60" to the .xml helps reduce stuttering.

I'm running FC3 on a GTX 480 (770 / 1900 clock speeds) and an i7 920 @ 3.36ghz, Runs mostly 60fps with these settings.

Using D3DOverider to force triple buffering really helped with Vsync stability, so even when the fps does drop it's not as intrusive ,lowest Ive seen it go so far is 46fps.

Also adding MaxFPS="60" to the .xml helps reduce stuttering.

You should clock that i7 up to 3.8Ghz. Well, as long as you aren't running on stock cooler. Though if you are on stock cooler, that's a good overclock.

Grassy

My PC:

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
6970 w/Catalyst 12.8
8 Gig RAM

Running at 1080p and with SMAA enabled as per Ledsen's post, and PostFX set to medium and everything else set to max, I'm getting anywhere from 48-60fps but sitting around 60fps most of the time.

Now I just need a no-hud mod and everything will be sweet.

pottuvoi

Banned
Why would the DoF impact the AA of close objects? Makes no sense, but okay. I've got it disabled already so I'm good to go.
If DoF is done before post process AA like SMAA/FXAA it blurs object edges and thus AA cannot find and filter them properly.

This happens in many games. (Not in GoW3 as it does AA pass before DoF.)

Ledsen

If DoF is done before post process AA like SMAA/FXAA it blurs object edges and thus AA cannot find and filter them properly.

This happens in many games. (Not in GoW3 as it does AA pass before DoF.)

Oh! You learn something new every day. Well, I disabled DoF but I still have aliasing, because I didn't disable depthscaling.

Sethos

Banned
Sethos should put together a guide for his SLI setup

Might as well.

First off, the specifications.

i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz.
16GB RAM
2 x 680 4GB SLI / OC'd
Samsung 830 SSD
310.64 Drivers.

So the system is fairly overkill but the below setup should still work for most people with a decent SLI setup as I'm running 2560x1600 which is over twice the pixels of 1080p - Requires a lot of brute force usually, plus my cards aren't even working that hard so there's plenty of headroom.

My GamerProfile.xml, located in the C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 3 is as follows ( Bolded part being the stuff you can mess around with )

ibmCDSjA901MFy.png

The config if you want to copy / paste;

Code:
<GamerProfile>
	<SoundProfile MusicEnabled="1" MasterVolume="100" MicEnabled="1" IncomingVoiceEnabled="1" Language="English" />
	<RenderProfile MSAALevel="0" AlphaToCoverage="2" SSAOLevel="4" SDSM="0" ResolutionX="2560" ResolutionY="1600" Quality="custom" QualityEditor="editor_ps3" Fullscreen="1" Borderless="0" UseD3D11="0" D3D11MultithreadedRendering="0" WidescreenLetterbox="0" UseWidescreenFOV="1" FOVScaleFactor="1.1025" EnableSubResolution="0" SubResolutionX="960" SubResolutionY="540" VSync="1" RefreshRate="0" DisableMip0Loading="0" GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" ShowFPS="0" Brightness="0.99" Contrast="1.08" GammaRamp="1.004" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1">
		<CustomQuality>
			<quality ResolutionX="1280" ResolutionY="720" EnvironmentQuality="high" AntiPortalQuality="default" PortalQuality="medium" PostFxQuality="high" TextureQuality="high" TextureResolutionQuality="high" WaterQuality="veryhigh" DepthPassQuality="high" VegetationQuality="veryhigh" TerrainQuality="high" GeometryQuality="veryhigh" AmbientQuality="high" DeferredAmbientQuality="high" ShadowQuality="high" EditorQuality="" Hdr="1" HdrFP32="1" ReflectionHdr="1" EnableVertexBinding="1" id="custom" />
		</CustomQuality>
<Post>
<quality GameDepthOfField="0" DepthDownsample="1" CinematicDepthOfField="0" FXAALevel="2" CloudShadows="1" MotionBlur="0" id="high" />
</Post>

( Set HdrFP32="1" to "0", just me messing around and forgetting to change it. Doesn't seem to do all that much and MIGHT cause an FPS decrease )

You obviously need to edit in your resolution before hand.

Using SweetFX with only SMAA ( Not even sure this works with FXAA ) + Default sharpness, FXAA setting "2" to get rid of the jaggies, SweetFX sharpeness should counteract the blur of FXAA.

Note PostFX is set to high, which I've said is a hog. However in the <post> field I've disabled most of what makes it a hog ( DepthDownsample being the biggest ) plus I removed the distant DoF which looks awful in this game.

Also, remember to do all your tweaking in GamerProfile itself then mark it as read only. Doing anything within the game just screws it up and removes the post field apparently.

Using DX9 so no need to add anything to the Nvidia Inspector profile or change any bits.

Any problems with it on lesser systems, try toning down FXAA or setting PostFX to a medium / low however with the stuff I disabled, being on high or medium it's exactly the same. Remember to match up the PostFX value with the "id="high ( replace with new PostFX value, medium etc. )" />" or else it doesn't work.

This all nets me a sharp look, anti-aliased edges, 60FPS and a GPU that is barely working.

This is how my game looks, no downsampling - Just a straight shot. Still jaggies but a lot smoother than the default image and the performance is good.

http://i.minus.com/icvRwYQA2mogb.png

http://i.minus.com/ib0uXDmnzgYnDX.png

Ty4on

off-topic: are you using custom cooling solutions or what? All these talks about high your GPU temp gets; being 60-70 degrees celsius while mine easily crosses 80 and 90 on your average game.

Using pretty much a stock 560ti.

Is it noisy? Remove dust, possibly improve airflow in the case. Otherwise GPUs can get into the 80's without it being a problem. Should it overheat it will throttle and if that doesn't work shut down. Strange artifacts is also a sign of an overheating card.

There have been a lot on new cards that are tuned to be cold at load (60C), but to get that temp they have to be noisy (more than they need to). My GPU is almost 60 at idle and can get into the 90s at load, but it's still alive and well after four years. It's even a flawed design that is bound to fail, but mine has yet to do so. Your 560ti should be just fine.

Might as well.

First off, the specifications.

i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz.
16GB RAM
2 x 680 4GB SLI / OC'd
Samsung 830 SSD
310.64 Drivers.

So the system is fairly overkill but the below setup should still work for most people with a decent SLI setup as I'm running 2560x1600 which is over twice the pixels of 1080p - Requires a lot of brute force usually, plus my cards aren't even working that hard so there's plenty of headroom.

My GamerProfile.xml, located in the C:Users<USERNAME>DocumentsMy GamesFar Cry 3 is as follows ( Bolded part being the stuff you can mess around with )

ibmCDSjA901MFy.png

The config if you want to copy / paste;

Code:
<GamerProfile>
	<SoundProfile MusicEnabled="1" MasterVolume="100" MicEnabled="1" IncomingVoiceEnabled="1" Language="English" />
	<RenderProfile MSAALevel="0" AlphaToCoverage="2" SSAOLevel="4" SDSM="0" ResolutionX="2560" ResolutionY="1600" Quality="custom" QualityEditor="editor_ps3" Fullscreen="1" Borderless="0" UseD3D11="0" D3D11MultithreadedRendering="0" WidescreenLetterbox="0" UseWidescreenFOV="1" FOVScaleFactor="1.1025" EnableSubResolution="0" SubResolutionX="960" SubResolutionY="540" VSync="1" RefreshRate="0" DisableMip0Loading="0" GPUMaxBufferedFrames="0" ShowFPS="0" Brightness="0.99" Contrast="1.08" GammaRamp="1.004" AllowAsynchShaderLoading="1">
		<CustomQuality>
			<quality ResolutionX="1280" ResolutionY="720" EnvironmentQuality="high" AntiPortalQuality="default" PortalQuality="medium" PostFxQuality="high" TextureQuality="high" TextureResolutionQuality="high" WaterQuality="veryhigh" DepthPassQuality="high" VegetationQuality="veryhigh" TerrainQuality="high" GeometryQuality="veryhigh" AmbientQuality="high" DeferredAmbientQuality="high" ShadowQuality="high" EditorQuality="" Hdr="1" HdrFP32="1" ReflectionHdr="1" EnableVertexBinding="1" id="custom" />
		</CustomQuality>
<Post>
<quality GameDepthOfField="0" DepthDownsample="1" CinematicDepthOfField="0" FXAALevel="2" CloudShadows="1" MotionBlur="0" id="high" />
</Post>

You obviously need to edit in your resolution before hand.

Using SweetFX with only SMAA ( Not even sure this works with FXAA ) + Default sharpness, FXAA setting "2" to get rid of the jaggies, SweetFX sharpeness should counteract the blur of FXAA.

Note PostFX is set to high, which I've said is a hog. However in the <post> field I've disabled most of what makes it a hog ( DepthDownsample being the biggest ) plus I removed the distant DoF which looks awful in this game.

Also, remember to do all your tweaking in GamerProfile itself then mark it as read only. Doing anything within the game just screws it up and removes the post field apparently.

Using DX9 so no need to add anything to the Nvidia Inspector profile or change any bits.

Any problems with it on lesser systems, try toning down FXAA or setting PostFX to a medium / low however with the stuff I disabled, being on high or medium it's exactly the same. Remember to match up the PostFX value with the "id="high ( replace with new PostFX value, medium etc. )" />" or else it doesn't work.

This all nets me a sharp look, anti-aliased edges, 60FPS and a GPU that is barely working.

This is how my game looks, no downsampling - Just a straight shot. Still jaggies but a lot smoother than the default image and the performance is good.

http://i.minus.com/icvRwYQA2mogb.png

http://i.minus.com/ib0uXDmnzgYnDX.png

Salsa needs to add this OP.

pottuvoi

Banned
I think the sparks looks very low res.

Edit: Also, what does the HdrFP32 setting in the config do?
If it is what it implies, it uses full 32bit floating point buffer for the HDR instead of 'standard' fp16.
I doubt that there is banding due to the precision of fp16 so fp32 is overkill and should have decent drop in FPS.

Sethos

Banned
Did it affect FPS? (It certainly should have negative impact.)

Didn't notice a thing, performance or visually. Then again, my system is pretty powerful so I probably wouldn't notice. My GPU was still sitting around with a thumb up its arse with 32fp enabled.

Added a note in my above mini-guide to just disable it, in case it's a hog.

Elsolar

I've found that running the game in DX11 mode, while not eliminating the issue, makes it a lot less noticeable (basically it still happens, but it takes a tenth of a second as opposed to half a second). Not sure if this is because of better streaming systems, tessellation, both, or something else, but it makes sense. DX11 was designed to allow for lots of detail over large game-worlds.

Peterthumpa

So, I'm going to restart playing this today after all the mess in the release date.

For my specs (i5 2500k + GTX 580), what would be the best settings for 60 FPS + 1080p gameplay?

I really like the overdone AO in DX11, is there something like it in DX9? Also, does disabling depth of field also disables it from cutscenes?

And for SGSSAA, is it better than downsampling, performance wise, or not?

So, I'm going to restart playing this today after all the mess in the release date.

For my specs (i5 2500k + GTX 580), what would be the best settings for 60 FPS + 1080p gameplay?

I really like the overdone AO in DX11, is there something like it in DX9? Also, does disabling depth of field also disables it from cutscenes?

The most pronounced AO is the DX9 SSAO (SSAO="1" in the config) and there are two depth of field settings for the config (GameDepthOfField="0" and CinematicDepthOfField="0").

You need a beast of a rig to pull of SGSSAA but you could probably pull off 2560x1440 downsampling if you don't mind playing at 30fps.

noomi

Trying out SGSSAA

This is with directX9, and the using the bits you posted earlier right? 4xMultisampling and 4xSGSSAA?

People have posted that using inspector to force MSAA for dx11 mode (adding the dx11.exe first) works with FC2 bits. I am thoroughly convinced that it is not working however, at least for me and a few other people that mentioned no results. Maybe its hard to see if to works because the game uses some sort of FXAA to already apply AA. But if you put your settings on all low, apply nvidia inspector AA with FC2 bits, you will notice that the game still has jaggies all over.

This is the only thing keeping me from enjoying the game right now, I'm such a little bitch when it comes to AA, I must have it!

Elsolar

Hard to say what the best specs for a 580 would be since I've never used one, but you should be able to handle DX11/HBAO/FXAA pretty easily on Very High or Ultra settings. If you have extra frames you can switch out HBAO for HDAO (which lacks the over-pronounced shadow outlines that you like, but it much more accurate overall) or MSAA, which looks great with Alpha Coverage on the foliage.

Regarding SSAO specifically, the "SSAO" setting is the least detailed, has the outlines you want, and works in both DX9 and DX11. HBAO also has the outlines you want and is more detailed, but only works in DX11 mode. HDAO is the most accurate and detailed mode, lacks the outlines you want (since its more realistic), only works in DX11 mode, and comes with a rather hefty performance cost.

There are two kinds if depth of field: gameplay (basically only blurs very distant objects like mountains, I like it because it hides the ugly LOD textures) and cinematic (only works during cut-scenes, looks pretty good IMO). They can be disabled individually or together through GamerProfile.xml.

As for SGSSAA vs. Super sampling, super sampling is always going to be the most costly form of AA because it, by its very nature, increases the resolution of the entire frame. I don't know if a 580 can handle MSAA+SGSSA without making really severe quality comprises elsewhere. You're welcome to try, but IMO the in-game MSAA and alpha coverage looks fine.

Hope I've been of help!

Yep. I set it to Very High and won a lot of frames in towns. I had a comparison of that setting a few pages back, in case you want to see if the performance gain justifies the decrease in graphics.

Alright thanks for the comparison! :D I already run it on High only but maybe I should consider setting it to Medium, I will have to play around with it.

Also maybe DX11 does help the performance more than we thought, atleast on my system o.o

zBQIv.jpg

Look at the framerates here... the only difference in my config between these shots are UseD3D11="0" vs UseD3D11="1" and I'm using a MSI 6850 OC'ed with Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Also maybe DX11 does help the performance more than we thought, atleast on my system o.o

I don't understand this game anymore, the performance is the embodiment of an rng system. 50%+ increased performance in dx11 v dx9, wut?

DX9 0x004012C1

Thanks, with that bit I'm getting smooth frame rates (60fps) with 4x MSAA and 4x SGSSAA at 2560x1440 as long as PostFX is set to medium. Anything higher and it's really jerky. DX9 definitely gives me better frame rates but the lighting seems to be more noticably flat compared to DX11. I could just be imagining things though.

Ledsen

Alright thanks for the comparison! :D I already run it on High only but maybe I should consider setting it to Medium, I will have to play around with it.

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/zBQIv.jpg[/IMG]

Look at the framerates here... the only difference in my config between these shots are UseD3D11="0" vs UseD3D11="1" and I'm using a MSI 6850 OC'ed with Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8.

Have you mucked around with GamerProfile.xml? If you've enabled DX11 in-game but disabled all the performance-heavy DX11 features through the xml, this could perhaps make sense. Otherwise... huh?

I don't understand this game anymore, the performance is the embodiment of an rng system. 50%+ increased performance in dx11 v dx9, wut?

Well I don't get it either, unless AMD really messed something up with their drivers this game is indeed a rng-system xD

So his does one use FXAA instead of MSAA??

If you meant me I don't use any kind of ingame FXAA, MSAA or injectors :/ The only kind of thing I have enabled for testing is Morphological Filtering in the AMD drivers but I'm not even sure it's working with FC3 and it was enabled for both shots.

Have you mucked around with GamerProfile.xml? If you've enabled DX11 in-game but disabled all the performance-heavy DX11 features through the xml, this could perhaps make sense. Otherwise... huh?

Well yes I did muck around with it:

NwqjP.jpg

And as you see I disabled the ingame FXAA that ate my performance like crazy but other than that I have no clue what could cause that :/ At first I thought it was the SSAO setting but would AO apply if I look straight into the sky with no objects on-screen? While looking straight upwards DX9 gives me 55fps while DX11 gives me 72...

pottuvoi

Banned
And as you see I disabled the ingame FXAA that ate my performance like crazy but other than that I have no clue what could cause that :/ At first I thought it was the SSAO setting but would AO apply if I look straight into the sky with no objects on-screen? While looking straight upwards DX9 gives me 55fps while DX11 gives me 72...
Usually SSAO is applied no matter what is on screen.

Top Bottom