• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

I used to use the excuse that I'm buying the Friends sets or some other sets for my cousins and stuff but now I just buy them without excuses. The employees there know me well enough...=)

The Friends sets are awesome. I wish I got more of them this year, because what I did grab was fantastic. More people on here should give them a try. Embrace the pastel colors!

The Friends sets are awesome. I wish I got more of them this year, because what I did grab was fantastic. More people on here should give them a try. Embrace the pastel colors!

They remind me of the Paradisa sets...a small line of sets but the buildings were better designed than the Town line which had even more sets!

I need some more Paradisa sets by the way, I only have Poolside Paradise...needs moar!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Like The Omega Man said, that's not possible for obvious reasons. If you really want it you can buy it here, they say they do ship abroad, so you can give it a try (I doubt they'll ship cheap, but neither would US Lego).

They also already have new Star Wars sets such as the Rancor Pit and A-wing.

By the way: no-one here who can help me with my sopwith :(? I guess it works so I'll leave it as is, but I would like to know just how stupid I am.

Ordered from bricklink in the end. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. Although I also then ended up ordering the parts to build the Christmas tree from the winter toy shop set.

ghostmind

Today's haul is all about 2013 Star Wars sets!

6KZwx.jpg

The boxes (especially the two battle packs) are tiny! I noticed it with the Creator sets as well - it seems that LEGO is making an effort to cut back on excess packaging and boxes mostly full of air.

Missing some of the sets, but more should be on the way next week.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Already? Where'd you get them from? Surely not S@H or The LEGO Store?

ghostmind

Already? Where'd you get them from? Surely not S@H or The LEGO Store?

No, the LEGO store got pushed back (see Chuck's post) - these are from TRU in Canada, which means Canadian prices (boo!) but only MSRP (yay!)

Also saw 3 of the 4 Super Heroes sets (everything but the Daily Bugle) - decided to wait on them until I am back in the USA, as I'm mainly interested in the minifigs.

More Star Wars and City (the Museum please!) sets next week!

Chuck

Still without luck
Apparently Lego is going full on with these things called 'green' boxes. Smaller, denser boxes which will be better for them with shipping and production.

ghostmind

Apparently Lego is going full on with these things called 'green' boxes. Smaller, denser boxes which will be better for them on shipping and production.

I'm all for it. The old ones were a waste. This will help on the storage situation as well.

The only downside is that parents will see these smaller boxes and think that they are less of a bargain than the old bigger ones, even though the piece count may be the same.

Chuck

Still without luck
I'm all for it. The old ones were a waste. This will help on the storage situation as well.

The only downside is that parents will see these smaller boxes and think that they are less of a bargain than the old bigger ones, even though the piece count may be the same.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Although, it would cut back on the box bs'ing they do sometimes where they make the boxes larger than needed. Eg: Jabba's and the B-wing.

Only parents that don't pay attention. I've heard them express incredulity at the excessive size.

Apparently Lego is going full on with these things called 'green' boxes. Smaller, denser boxes which will be better for them with shipping and production.

I thought the Fierce Flyer and Thunder Wings boxes seemed smaller.

I am all for it. Smaller, sturdier, and denser packaging. A++ in my book.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Might be old, but K-mart is doing a Buy one get one half off on all LEGO sets. Seems to be in store only, which means poor selection, but you might get lucky.

R-User!

Go in there and have them look up the item. They can check to see if any stores in the state or surrounding areas have it through the computer system.

Do they transfer store to store? Or would whatsinaname just be looking for reasonably distanced locations that have the sets he/she wanted?

R-User!

Just got back from looking. No stock at my local B&N. :(

Yeah, during black Friday, the same store that I just got QAR didn't even have it on the sales floor... So I don't know maybe they had them in the back room... More likely than not it was in the back room cuz they also has 3 Dino sets out, 3 Alien Conquest sets out, 3 Pharaoh sets, a bunch of Pirates On Stranger Tides sets. None of the above sets were on display on Black Friday, So they probably had rotated them off the sales floor to make room for LotR and Friends sets perhaps. And almost all of the above were on a display table near the regular display racks for what it's worth.

They can transfer, but not before coupon expires. I got my QAR by the store transferring it in from another.

Just got back from looking. No stock at my local B&N. :([/QUOT

Yeah, during black Friday, the same store that I just got QAR didn't even have it on the sales floor... So I don't know maybe they had them in the back room... More likely than not it was in the back room cuz they also has 3 Dino sets out, 3 Alien Conquest sets out, 3 Pharaoh sets, a bunch of Pirates On Stranger Tides sets. None of the above sets were on display on Black Friday, So they probably had rotated them off the sales floor to make room for LotR and Friends sets perhaps. And almost all of the above were on a display table near the regular display racks for what it's worth.

I'll take another look tomorrow then. Thanks for the help guys.

Rhaegar

Thanks for the heads up on the Barnes & Noble coupon. Took 30% off my entire order along with the normal 10% off for members. I ended up getting the TIE Fighter as a Christmas present for my nephew, Attack on Weathertop for me and the Lego Christmas Story book for my son!

R-User!

Thanks for the heads up on the Barnes & Noble coupon. Took 30% off my entire order along with the normal 10% off for members. I ended up getting the TIE Fighter as a Christmas present for my nephew, Attack on Weathertop for me and the Lego Christmas Story book for my son!

Are you sure it was 30% off your whole order and not your most expensive single item during that transaction? It should have just taken 30% off of one item unless you used 3 coupons... ;)

Edit: Death Star at Target or Amazon for 359.00 if that price works for you!

Rhaegar

Are you sure it was 30% off your whole order and not your most expensive single item during that transaction? It should have just taken 30% off of one item unless you used 3 coupons...

Yeah, I double-checked the receipt and even busted out the calculator because I knew how the coupons are supposed to work. It took the 10% off all items first (bringing both $49.95 sets down to around $45 each) and then 30% off that (around $13.50 off each set). I was a happy camper!

R-User!

Yeah, I double-checked the receipt and even busted out the calculator because I knew how the coupons are supposed to work. It took the 10% off all items first (bringing both $49.95 sets down to around $45 each) and then 30% off that (around $13.50 off each set). I was a happy camper!

Nice!

But strange...

darkwing

Today's haul is all about 2013 Star Wars sets!

6KZwx.jpg

The boxes (especially the two battle packs) are tiny! I noticed it with the Creator sets as well - it seems that LEGO is making an effort to cut back on excess packaging and boxes mostly full of air.

Missing some of the sets, but more should be on the way next week.

do we have a price list of the new sets?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It'll also help me sneak them past the wife, or persuade her that they aren't expensive because they are smaller ;)

ghostmind

do we have a price list of the new sets?

Let's see:

75000 $14US/$16CDN
75001 $14US/$16CDN
75002 $25US/$25CDN
75003 $30US/$30CDN (this one should be $25US at most)
75004 $45US/$65CDN
75005 $60US/$75CDN
Planet sets $10US/$12CDN
75012 $30US/$??CDN
75013 $60US/$75CDN
75014 I have no idea

Just got back from seeing The Hobbit - I have a new appreciation for the LEGO sets, though now I have questions about what was omitted.

iuuk

Does anyone know what's going on with the Shuttle Expedition? The US Lego site shows it as out of stock, but expected to be back Januari 13, but the EU (Netherlands at least) shows it out of stock, no date in sight. This unlike the Camper Van, which is expected to ship on Januari 10. EU Amazons are also out of Shuttle Expeditions.

I already own one, but since I'm eyeing the Grand Emporium I would like to know what signs to look for to know when things go OOP (and if Europe is different from the US).

Ainaurdur

No kidding.

Where is my Azog minifig?

Possibly you could get your wish in a
Battle of Five Armies
set. Along with a few other interesting prospects.

But wild speculation is all we can really muster at this point. I am still digesting my first H:AUJ viewing.

R-User!

Possibly you could get your wish in a
Battle of Five Armies
set. Along with a few other interesting prospects.

But wild speculation is all we can really muster at this point. I am still digesting my first H:AUJ viewing.

Did you see it HFR?

I did, and everything looks AMAZING! So realistic and clear! Wow that film was fun! Left me wanting MOREMOARMOR!

darkwing

Let's see:

75000 $14US/$16CDN
75001 $14US/$16CDN
75002 $25US/$25CDN
75003 $30US/$30CDN (this one should be $25US at most)
75004 $45US/$65CDN
75005 $60US/$75CDN
Planet sets $10US/$12CDN
75012 $30US/$??CDN
75013 $60US/$75CDN
75014 I have no idea

Just got back from seeing The Hobbit - I have a new appreciation for the LEGO sets, though now I have questions about what was omitted.

thanks! wow the A-Wing is sure priced nice

Ainaurdur

Did you see it HFR?

I did, and everything looks AMAZING! So realistic and clear! Wow that film was fun! Left me wanting MOREMOARMOR!

I had intended to, but unfortunately they had issues with file corruption or something. They gave us vouchers for a free ticket and let us watch the film in another room... but it was 24fps 3D. I will probably go see the HFR on Saturday.

I wonder if it also an attempt to fit more product into their present retail shelf space. I haven't been following Lego too long, but it seems like they have a crapton of stuff coming out soon. Smaller boxes means more of it gets displayed.

heVHDl.jpg

vIHshl.jpg

I just got the last couple of series 5 figs that I needed yesterday.

There was no series 1 right? I'm just going to pretend that it doesn't exist...

Stupid thread.

heVHDl.jpg

vIHshl.jpg

I just got the last couple of series 5 figs that I needed yesterday.

There was no series 1 right? I'm just going to pretend that it doesn't exist...

Stupid thread.

me jelly, I only have series 1 and 2, my next purchase will be series 3 from brick link, it would be around 70$ total, good thing I completed the most expensive series already.

NPR recently ran a new LEGO story.

But the woman made a rookie LEGO mistake, she shopped at TRU.

And what set was she looking at that was $60 and only had 120 pieces?

But the short version of the article: LEGO has spectacular quality control and customer service, and that is why they continue to dominate.

It goes to show that if the product is quality, people will pay the premium even if cheaper options that do almost the exact same thing exist.

And what set was she looking at that was $60 and only had 120 pieces?

But the short version of the article: LEGO has spectacular quality control and customer service, and that is why they continue to dominate.

It goes to show that if the product is quality, people will pay the premium even if cheaper options that do almost the exact same thing exist.

It was hard to hear, but she mentioned that it was a bucket of Duplo. So 120 Duplo elements sounds right at $60.

And you're right, informed consumers will go with quality over quantit nine times out of ten. But I saw the article pointed out that the competition is trying to fight back with their own licenses. Barbie Mega Blocks? Good luck with that, I'd rather my daughter play with the Friends series when she's older.

iuuk

As said I have no more room for my Lego sets, so I have to store my Star Wars sets at my parents' house, because I refuse to put that brilliant Imperial Shuttle in the closet:

I Also just ordered the A-wing just to make sure I didn't have any room left, even at my parents' house.

DJ_Lae

I think some of the Halo and WoW licensed stuff is neat, though I don't really care for the Mega Bloks figures. But they aren't as bad as the Kreo ones - those things are pretty shameless Lego minifig ripoffs that feel and look cheap as hell.

The biggest problem with them is the fit - the pieces fit too tightly together, they're too hard to get apart, and there are too many custom pieces. Lego's gone pretty far in that direction too over the past decade but most of the pieces still have multiple uses and many sets use them in creative ways.

I suppose I'm not adverse to the Mega Bloks Duplo equivalent. The fit still is a bit weird and the plastic feels cheap but as introductory Lego-type blocks for very young kids the insane price discount is more than worth it.

My problem? I sort of bypassed Duplo and went straight to Lego. My daughter was playing with Lego Cars sets when she was barely two. Granted, she was a pretty well behaved two year old with no desire to put things in her mouth, but she still knocks things apart frequently and comes to me with a handful of Lego bits and says "broken! fix please." Still, I should have postponed that stuff for a couple of years for my own sanity, but I got greedy and way to excited about justifying Lego purchases for her instead of me.

As said I have no more room for my Lego sets, so I have to store my Star Wars sets at my parents' house, because I refuse to put that brilliant Imperial Shuttle in the closet:

I Also just ordered the A-wing just to make sure I didn't have any room left, even at my parents' house.

The Imperial Shuttle should always be on display. A truly magnificent display piece.

And hey, since it is retiring soon and many are on the fence about it, I will post this again:

Time Lapse Build

And I like your stand for the TIE Fighter. I made stands for my X-Wing and Y-Wing but not the TIE. I want to try and make it look like it is banking or something.

It props the ships up, and gives them the appearance of flying around. Simple and easy to assemble, and rather stable. You can gleam most of what I did just by glancing at the pics. Clicking them will go to the full resolution ones to get a better idea. I tried making a similar stand for the TIE Fighter, but the huge wings make it very difficult to make it look like the ship is banking, and there is not much area for a stand to connect.

The Imperial Shuttle should always be on display. A truly magnificent display piece.

And hey, since it is retiring soon and many are on the fence about it, I will post this again:

Time Lapse Build

And I like your stand for the TIE Fighter. I made stands for my X-Wing and Y-Wing but not the TIE. I want to try and make it look like it is banking or something.

LEGOOOOOO IMAAAAGEEES

It props the ships up, and gives them the appearance of flying around. Simple and easy to assemble, and rather stable. You can gleam most of what I did just by glancing at the pics. Clicking them will go to the full resolution ones to get a better idea. I tried making a similar stand for the TIE Fighter, but the huge wings make it very difficult to make it look like the ship is banking, and there is not much area for a stand to connect.

You just doomed me to buy all the fighters. Fuck. Will these ever go out of print?

iuuk

Time Lapse Build

I saw those stands, they are great, but I am limiting myself to black bricks I had as a kid, since I'm terrible at bricklinking. It's quite surprising I was able to make stands at all. The A-wing will need even more improvising.

I do need that Y-wing by the way. Apart from the ship itself I also still need Leia.

Edit:
You just doomed me to buy all the fighters. Fuck. Will these ever go out of print?
I guess regular fighters will always have redesigns, but the Imperial Shuttle is already OOP. Still, the fighters this design run look great and aren't even that expensive.

What set do I need to buy to get one of these god sends?

pic0B3890F244D6719BF0956969B105D999.jpg

Bought a couple sets for the first time in probably 10 years and I felt like taking one apart and messing around with making my own creation and I forgot how hard some pieces can be to take apart.

that A-Wing does look nice...

Also i really like the snowspeeder but... that's been OOP for a while right? :(

On a sidenote, my wife just suprised me with the SSD as a gift!!!! how awesome is that :))))

She did get it on a discount luckily, that thing breaks the bank otherwise. Too bad i won't be building it until in at least a year when we move into a new place, no room here but it will be good to have!

I saw those stands, they are great, but I am limiting myself to black bricks I had as a kid, since I'm terrible at bricklinking. It's quite surprising I was able to make stands at all. The A-wing will need even more improvising.

I do need that Y-wing by the way. Apart from the ship itself I also still need Leia.

Edit:

I guess regular fighters will always have redesigns, but the Imperial Shuttle is already OOP. Still, the fighters this design run look great and aren't even that expensive.

Fortunately, the imperial shuttle has always been the least interesting star wars ship to me, whether in its current lego iteration or when playing with other toys as a kid. I'd have to be a millionaire before I'd spend anywhere near its current price on it. It going out of print does not pain me in the slightest when disposable money and lego space are such premiums. It's just the y wing, x wing, A wing, and tie fighter piquing my interest for now. Knowing I'll probably never get the current death star hurts pretty bad. Maybe if I buy NOTHING but food from now until like summer, I can get away with buying it..... but then no smaller ships, lotr, hobbit, arkham, summer castle sets. The Falcon looks sick too.

Top Bottom