• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ePSXe thread? (Playstation Emulation)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
There are some amazing CRT filters for the SNES and Genesis/Megadrive emulators. Does anyone know if anything similar is available for ePSXe?

butanebob

Neo Member
works fine in fullscreen when you set the res to a 4:3 ratio like this and upscale it to 1920x1080

Another way is to set your desktop resolution to 1920x1080 and the window size to 1440x1080. That'll give you the highest resolution possible without altering the overall 4:3 ratio.

hello everyone, i need help finding a psx game. this seemed like the best place to ask. didnt want to start a new thread. i have very little details, but i really want to find it. i've been looking for years and havent been able to. the game has a real dark setting. the protagonist is a kid, a boy if i remember correctly. you start off in his room. i think you have whats called a "dew" meter or something. and when you fill it up or run out you go into "limbo" or something. the enemies in the first level were plants or pumpkins. and thats all i can really remember. hopefully someone can tell me what this game is.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man, what's up with Resident Evil games? Both RE2 and 3 take ages, sometimes, to load the next screen or when i pick up an object.
Like, a good 5 seconds.

Besides an issue where picking up the grenade launcher always crashes EPSXE in RE1 (and directors cut), I haven't faced any issue with any of the PS1 RE games on epsxe like that.

Must be something with your settings.

hello everyone, i need help finding a psx game. this seemed like the best place to ask. didnt want to start a new thread. i have very little details, but i really want to find it. i've been looking for years and havent been able to. the game has a real dark setting. the protagonist is a kid, a boy if i remember correctly. you start off in his room. i think you have whats called a "dew" meter or something. and when you fill it up or run out you go into "limbo" or something. the enemies in the first level were plants or pumpkins. and thats all i can really remember. hopefully someone can tell me what this game is.

maybe this one?

Jersey_Devil_PSX.jpg

specifying the genre might helps too if you don't mind.

Aeana

So apparently gpuBladeSoft is the best graphics plugin for PS1 emulation right? Any thoughts?

I hadn't heard of it until now, but I tried it and it seems to support bilinear filtering in Windows 7, so it's got my vote. Pete's soft plugin doesn't.

Of course, this is only in terms of software GPU plugins, which aim to actually emulate the PSX closely - not enhance it so much. If you want 3D enhancements, you're probably still going to want Pete's OGL2 plugin.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I hadn't heard of it until now, but I tried it and it seems to support bilinear filtering in Windows 7, so it's got my vote. Pete's soft plugin doesn't.

Sounds good. I'm definitely gonna give it a go some day soon too. While I appreciate Pete's awesome openGL2 plugin just as much as the next guy, the soft plugins are a million times better for anything 2D.

Of course, this is only in terms of software GPU plugins, which aim to actually emulate the PSX closely - not enhance it so much. If you want 3D enhancements, you're probably still going to want Pete's OGL2 plugin.

I've only heard about if from a random guy from /vg/ tbh, to quote the guy:

Latest revision LilyPad from PCSX2.
If you have a good CPU, I'd give gpuBladeSoft a try. Supposedly can cut down on 3D jitter with PCSX-R specifically, and can output/filter higher resolutions with GL2 shaders as well. But the shit's higher performance requirements put it out of my reach at the moment.
Otherwise go with OpenGL2.
You'll also want Eternal SPU 1.50 or P.E.Op.S. 1.10b for sound. PEOpS is the latest with the most options and whatnot, but kept shorting out the sound every half hour or so whenever I was fullscreen for some reason.

I personally use OGL2 as apparently using the 2x+ internal resolution option in Bladesoft require an extremely fast CPU.

How many people here think there would be interest in a catch-all emulation/guide thread (with links to the respective already going OT's)? Something compiling the best of emulation software for each system, guides to get them up and running (and of course, providing guides to rip one's own images) and various resources for on-going emulation news/progress?

Orayn

Does the combination of accurate emulation and bilinear filtering do much to counteract "twitchy" polygons in 3D games? That's my single biggest issue with PSX emulation right now, and my lack of a decent SDTV isn't making me particularly motivated to go play on original hardware...

EDIT: I should say, one of my issues with PSX visuals in general, especially when emulated.

gblues

Banned
Does the combination of accurate emulation and bilinear filtering do much to counteract "twitchy" polygons in 3D games? That's my single biggest issue with PSX emulation right now, and my lack of a decent SDTV isn't making me particularly motivated to go play on original hardware...

Um, the original PSX hardware has twitchy polygons.

Orayn

Um, the original PSX hardware has twitchy polygons.

I know, running at native resolution on a proper display just makes the effect less pronounced. I'm just wondering if certain options in emulation minimize it in a similar way.

pants

I gasped when I read your post. :( But I blame Konami for it.

It's Suikoden 2.

Ah I see, figures. The only Suikoden I've played is one with the horrible castle/hq music that made me want to naw my nipples off. I cant remember why but I was spending quite a bit of time in the hq then decided to eject disc and never look back :/

Cipherr

Ah I see, figures. The only Suikoden I've played is one with the horrible castle/hq music that made me want to naw my nipples off. I cant remember why but I was spending quite a bit of time in the hq then decided to eject disc and never look back :/

If its glorious island fortress that you speak of. We must become mortal enemies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHqEz2XVMJQ

I loved the progression of that song as I built my team over the course of the game :D

pants

Nah, those two sound lovely. I suspect it was Suikoden 3 since I didnt recognize 2 (although it could have been 2). It was the first time Konami music made me not want to play a game as i generally and overwhelmingly love Konami music.

butanebob

Neo Member

It's in the settings:

"Options: Use System Memory - Slower with most cards, disables auto screen filtering"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nah, those two sound lovely. I suspect it was Suikoden 3 since I didnt recognize 2 (although it could have been 2). It was the first time Konami music made me not want to play a game as i generally and overwhelmingly love Konami music.

Suikoden 3 is a 3D Polygonal game on the PS2.

pants

Defo 1 or 2 then. I remember some farming element where you played whack-a-mole. Was in your HQ iirc and a constant reminder of dreadful music.

gblues

Banned
If anyone's interested, I successfully ported the CRT shader from BSNES to ePSXe. Read the setup instructions carefully because you will get really strange results if you just throw it in blindly.

Sample screenshots I made:

Without the shader:

With the shader:

Download link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4806945/shaders.zip

Setup Instructions

0) Before you even extract the ZIP file, go into your ePSXe folder and back up the existing contents of your shaders folder. If the folder doesn't exist, create it.
1) Extract shaders.zip into the shaders/ folder under your ePSXe folder.
2) Launch ePSXe and click Config > Video
3) Make sure "Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9" is selected (I think that's the latest)
4) Click the Configure button.
5) Configure the plugin how you want it, but the sections outlined in red MUST match.

pete.png

6) Click the "..." button next to the "shader effects" drop-down and browse to the shaders/ folder in your ePSXe folder.

Enjoy!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If anyone's interested, I successfully ported the CRT shader from BSNES to ePSXe. Read the setup instructions carefully because you will get really strange results if you just throw it in blindly.

Sample screenshots I made:

Without the shader:

With the shader:

Wow! that's some top notch work!

Anustart

Anyone have any setups for getting Chrono Cross to look decent? Don't need any cartoon shading, just whatever options you guys have used to get the game to look like it's original self, just cleaner?

Lettuce

is ePSXe 1.8.0 even compatible with new hardware, just tried it on my new Haswell build and cant get it to work at all, just get a black screen on loading games

Seik

Banned
Anyone have any setups for getting Chrono Cross to look decent? Don't need any cartoon shading, just whatever options you guys have used to get the game to look like it's original self, just cleaner?

Upgrade the internal resolution and I think you'll get what you want. :)

That said, I think I want to start a new game at Chrono Cross, but I'm not sure...it's been years. D:

why am I getting random frame drops in epsxe? It runs fine for the most part, but I'll get a random frame drop or too that annoys me. I'm running Windows 8.1 on a bootcamped 2013 27-inch iMac.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GFX card: GeForce GT 755M/PCIe/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 2560x1440 Fullscreen - Use Window size in Fullscreen mode
- NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1
- Internal Y resolution: 1
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60.0

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 0
- Framebuffer effects: 1
- Framebuffer uploads: 0

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

those are my settings..

The emulator has an internal frame limiter that can be problematic sometimes.

You can turn it off by pressing F4, but then you have to manually activate Pete's own frame limiter or the game will run too fast.

Press "Delete" to bring up the video plugin's menu. You can then use "Page up" or "Page down" to navigate and "Home"/"End" to turn stuff on/off. The frame limiter is the first option.

Oemenia

Banned
Anyone tried PCSX Reloaded, it has widescreen support bit there is no info on it. You'd think having true widescreen for PSone games would've got a few more people excited.

Kamaji

Bumping this. Any Noob-friendly setup advice to make games (Chrono Cross and Xenogears) look as good as possible.

I've got a i5-3220m processor with HD 4000 and a 1366x768 screen so I guess some options would demand better hardware.

Which video plugin is preferable and which settings are the ones I should touch to improve image quality.

KyleCross

So I just tested this out after being absolutely appalled with how my PS1 games look on my PS3. I don't recall them looking this bad a few years ago, I can only guess it's because I was using a 720p TV then while now I got a 1080p. Games look pretty damn awesome on this thing, as expected being an emulator! But there is one thing I gotta ask; My question is due to something I call "wobblyness." Basically during movement the characters, and the enviroment itself, seem to wobble as if they're made of jello. I believe this is a technical limitation with how the PS1 originally did things, but I don't recall it looking this bad. It is literally disturbing, like everything is underwater.

Is there nothing you can do about this? I read somewhere that it gets worse the higher the resolution goes.

Daviii

So I just tested this out after being absolutely appalled with how my PS1 games look on my PS3. I don't recall them looking this bad a few years ago, I can only guess it's because I was using a 720p TV then while now I got a 1080p. Games look pretty damn awesome on this thing, as expected being an emulator! But there is one thing I gotta ask; My question is due to something I call "wobblyness." Basically during movement the characters, and the enviroment itself, seem to wobble as if they're made of jello. I believe this is a technical limitation with how the PS1 originally did things, but I don't recall it looking this bad. It is literally disturbing, like everything is underwater.

Is there nothing you can do about this? I read somewhere that it gets worse the higher the resolution goes.

Are you using 16:9 aspect ratio?

Because probably the picture is less expanded around the centre of the screen and more near the edge.

Fix is using black bars.

KyleCross

Are you using 16:9 aspect ratio?

Because probably the picture is less expanded around the centre of the screen and more near the edge.

Fix is using black bars.

I'm using 16:9 in 1080p with widescreen fix. Here's the first result on YouTube for Silent Hill ePSXe and it has the same issue. You can see what I'm talking about right here, tho he's using 4:3 it's still there: http://youtu.be/eCihZVsPeu4?t=5m34s

If the URL doesn't automatically take you to the timestamp, it's 5 minutes and 34 seconds in. You can tell just how everything wobbles. I'm guessing it is just the PS1s limitations just made all the more clear with the high resolution and extra clarity.

Yes, that's a techinical limitation of the PS1 and might get even more obvious if run at a higher resolution (read this thread for more information (and't don't listen to the "it's the missing z-buffer" comments)).

It can be improved by using edgbla's GPU plugin (http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54527-edgbla-s-gpuBladeSoft-v1-42a) or by using PCSXR with an updated Pete's OGL2 plugin (http://ngemu.com/threads/peteopengl2tweak-tweaker-for-peteopengl2-plugin-w-gte-accuracy-hack.160319/).

linko9

Nope, nothing can be done about the wobble. The way I understand it; the PSX can only put the vertices of polygons on a 320x240 grid (for most games). When this is also the resolution being output, you don't notice this effect for obvious reasons. But run it at a higher resolution, and those vertices are still bound to the super-low resolution grid, no way around it.

Nevadatan

sorry to rebump a months old thread. but can anybody recommend me a shader for Castlevania Symphony of the Night? to make 2D more sharper at high res?

bomblord1

Banned
Has anyone here had any luck with running PS1 games on android? I have a few games I'm thinking of ripping and trying to play on my tablet.

Top Bottom