• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk Xbox 720: Xbox World shares everything it knows about the next console

I believe every console CPU has been better suited for games compared to PC, at launch at least. But don't forget they were custom made to handle this kinds of computing.

Now, if rumors are true and x720 is a x86 I wouldn't bet on the CPU beating intel's mid or top of the line products.

However, there are also rumors about the Xbox720 using a 16 Core IBM CPU, which would be a much better choice for MS.

Jonm1010

Banned
From Beyond3D - someone asked if Durango would experience major heating issues with the APU and here was one of the responses (which I was not aware of):

Someone else estimating the Durango GPU to be the equivalent of the "680".

Edit: whoa...Beyond3D is now down. MS ninjas at work?

Which makes sense when you consider how many companies are engineering their next gen engines around the capability of a 680.

It would surprise me if it all turned out to be a coincidence and these companies didnt have some strong indicators as to what the likely target specs were so they could best allocate their resources when attempting to get a head start on developing their next gen engines.

I'd bet just based on how typical console companies like SE are basing their engines around the 680 is a fairly solid indicator of the general ballpark next gen gpus are likely to r capable of.

Well, C3 will look great on consoles too, and if the only advantages the PC version has are improved textures, tessellation and resolution/IQ, then yeah, games in 2013/14 running on XBOX 3 are gonna match or exceed that visual fidelity, resolution and IQ aside. Not because of magical optimization (although that doesn't hurt, you know), but because these games will be getting developed without the PS360 version acting as a constraint. May not be a night and day difference, ESPECIALLY not the launch titles, but we should be seeing a jump, even if it takes Digital Foundry to notice it. The PC versions of these games will look better still, which is the thing I'm excited the most about.
Yes, I believe those are reasonable expectations. I can also see a lot of people not noticing a lot of advancements in the beginning until Digital Foundry does comparisons.

Jonm1010

Banned
Sweetvar26. Dude has leaked info a long time ago that has been removed from Gaf and Google Cache.
And does he have a 100% track record that you can provide verification for us so we don't conclude your just talking out your butt or asserting without justification that your favorite rumor is the only true one( no offense but i cant count how many times in the last 2 years people have made assertions they claimed have to be true only to be proven horrendously wrong)?

KageMaru

Wasn't the Xenon more powerful than any PC CPU in 05'?

In FP performance, yeah, but lag in single thread performance. So basically the CPU was better suited to graphics and physics than it was to run game code such as AI.

MS is not going with IBM for the cpu, it's going with 8 jaguar cores at 1.6 ghz.

Which makes all the 16cores/threads rumors odd since Jaguar is a single thread core.

Edit:

For those not in the know, is this good, bad, or what? How does that stack up compared to the current-gen consoles, the 360, PS3, and Wii U?

There are better CPUs that could be in there, but with cost as a factor, it's not bad. Will definitely be a huge improvement over the CPUs in the PS3, 360, and Wii-U.

Proelite

And does he have a 100% track record that you can provide verification for us so we don't conclude your just talking out your butt or asserting without justification that your favorite rumor is the only true one( no offense but i cant count how many times in the last 2 years people have made assertions they claimed have to be true only to be proven horrendously wrong)?

If Sweetvar26 is proven to be a fraud, I'll take a perma ban.

If Durango uses PowerPC as its main cpu, I'll also take a perma ban.

shiptoncraig

Neo Member
I know that a lot of these predictions turn out to be nonsense, but there's something about an 720 announcement that triggers the "waiting for the N64" feeling.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
The only respectable word we have is that Microsoft will announce the new xbox shortly before E3 then continue with the info at E3 while Sony will Announce the PS4 at E3.
Oh huh, interesting. Heard from someone in the industry that Sony planned a calendar Q1 (Jan-Mar) reveal for PS4 and Microsoft had a calendar Q2 pre-E3 unveil for 720 in April or May, but it is entirely possible they were off.

Proelite

Oh huh, interesting. Heard from someone in the industry that Sony planned a calendar Q1 (Jan-Mar) reveal for PS4 and Microsoft had a calendar Q2 pre-E3 unveil for 720 in April or May, but it is entirely possible they were off.

Oh please let Sony be Jan-Mar.

SSM25

People are setting really high expectations for next gen, a gtx680 in a console? Maybe the AMD equivalent but crippled to meet the power draw and heat budget..

Proelite

How was it removed from gaf and google? can you post it?

Either AMD or Sony asked for it to be taken down from Gaf and Google Cache. I can't post it since it'll be removed in minutes anyways. I am not sure I can find the info.

StevieP

Banned
People are setting really high expectations for next gen, a gtx680 in a console? Maybe the AMD equivalent but crippled to meet the power draw and heat budget..

No, not quite even the AMD equivalent (7970 crippled by lowering the speed and using DDR3/4) lol

Only if you don't actually understand technology.
StevieP
Doesn't actually understand technology or have insider info.

This guy is on some sort of crusade to convince GAF that the next gen consoles won't have a noticeable graphical leap even after he was completely wrong on all accounts of the Wii U's graphical power and even after the mods gave him that tag for clearly having no idea what he was talking about and referring back to his super duper secret sources any time anyone called him out on it.

Proelite

StevieP
Doesn't actually understand technology or have insider info.

This guy is on some sort of crusade to convince GAF that the next gen consoles won't have a noticeable graphical leap even after he was completely wrong on all accounts of the Wii U's graphical power and even after the mods gave him that tag for clearly having no idea what he was talking about and referring back to his super duper sources any time anyone called him out on it.

Maybe he is just trying to lower our expectations so that we'll be pleasantly surprised?

If MS is going with 1.6 ghz why did sony ask to take it down? I'm confused or did you write something incorrect in last part?

Sweetvar26 posted stuff about both Sony and MS and they were taken down.

StevieP

Banned
I would say customized instead of crippled.

Customized? Absolutely. But... Lowering the mhz, lowering the CUs, and using DDR3/4 = a "crippling" (though that's a harsh term). Just ask your typical budget notebook with a GTX 650M using DDR3 rather than a 650M using GDDR5. Benches are out there.

On the bright side, EDRam is going to help out on the console front.

Horse Armour said:
This guy is on some sort of crusade to convince GAF that the next gen consoles won't have a noticeable graphical leap even after he was completely wrong on all accounts of the Wii U's graphical power and even after the mods gave him that tag for clearly having no idea what he was talking about and referring back to his super duper sources any time anyone called him out on it.

1) They will be a leap. A massive leap compared to current gen. Gigantic compared to the Wii U.
2) They will not be high end PCs. Unless one of the companies found a way to break the laws of phyics.
3) I was not wrong about the Wii U. Read my post history.

If you'd like to tag quote me, refute me.

Either AMD or Sony asked for it to be taken down from Gaf and Google Cache. I can't post it since it'll be removed in minutes anyways. I am not sure I can find the info.

Whoa...
Can you just put it in a word doc or notepad file and then upload it to mediashare or something? it won't be on gaf

Proelite

Customized? Absolutely. But... Lowering the mhz, lowering the CUs, and using DDR3/4 = a "crippling" (though that's a harsh term). Just ask your typical budget notebook with a GTX 650M using DDR3 rather than a 650M using GDDR5. Benches are out there.

Whatever they did with Xenos for the 360 is what I call customizing. There was no equivalent gpu in terms of architecture for a while on the market.

1) They will be a leap. A massive leap compared to current gen. Gigantic compared to the Wii U.
2) They will not be high end PCs. Unless one of the companies found a way to break the laws of phyics.
3) I was not wrong about the Wii U. Read my post history.

If you'd like to tag quote me, refute me.

Sources please.

StevieP

Banned
Whatever they did with Xenos for the 360 is what I call customizing. There was no equivalent gpu in terms of architecture for a while on the market.

You of all people should know that DX12 is a long, long long ways out.
You should also know that there is no massive shift in GPU technology like unified shaders on the horizon.

That said, there is no doubt in anyone's mind that whatever MS has been working on in regards to adding to DX 11 is going to end up in the GPU and customized by AMD to not exactly match what's out in their consumer market cards at the time.

That doesn't mean they can break the laws of physics, though. You're still constrained in the console environment, so talk of 680 equivalents is still setting people up for disappointment.

shinobi602 said:
Sources please.

What, in regards to the laws of physics? The GTX 680 has an average (average!) power draw of 200w.

Proelite

You of all people should know that DX12 is a long, long long ways out.
You should also know that there is no massive shift in GPU technology like unified shaders on the horizon.

That said, there is no doubt in anyone's mind that whatever MS has been working on in regards to adding to DX 11 is going to end up in the GPU and customized by AMD to not exactly match what's out in their consumer market cards at the time.

That doesn't mean they can break the laws of physics, though. You're still constrained in the console environment, so talk of 680 equivalents is still setting people up for disappointment.

I didn't talk about 680 equivalent in hardware, but I firmly believe that the games will have graphics on the same level / beyond what gtx 680 can do visually.

This thread reminds me of the good old times, when the Dreamcast was just launched, and magazines would print pages and pages of crazy speculations about the Playstation 2...
:D

I remember articles saying the PS2 was so powerful the US government banned it from Iraq because Sadam might use it to launch nukes lol

Zeal

Banned
The mockup looks great to me. I want something relatively bigger in size. Something that looks powerful. I don't get people's obsession with everything having to be small.

Top Bottom